LongShot Double IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Double IPALongShot Double IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 04-07-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
beachbum1975

3.88/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce brown bottle purchased in a Longshot variety six-pack. I've heard lots about this beer so I'm excited to try it!

Pours a clear, dark brass/copper with a 4 inch, bright white head. As it settles, a large chunky mountain of bubbles form until it finally leaves a fine tracing of foam on the head of the beer. Amazingly big and thick lacing down the walls of my pint glass.

Smells of nice, bitter grapefruits - surprisingly big for a Sam Adams beer! I also get bredy malts and light citrus.

Big and bitter grapefruit, orange rinds and lemon zest with a moderate amount of caramelized malts. Hops definitely take the forefront on this one. Leaves a long, slightly bitter and waxy residue on my mouth. Medium carbonation with good carbonation levels.

Nice!

04-17-2009 03:18:58 | More by beachbum1975
KBoudreau66

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle from the "Longshot" 6 pack. It has a cloudy copper color with one finger of frothy white head that will dissipate in to a thin layer and last throughout.

Smells up front of strong floral hops, citrusy grapefruit, a bit piney as well. Undertones of caramel malts. A slightly sweet aroma at the back end.

Tastes of floral hops, pine, and grapefruit. A solid malty backbone in this brew that will have a sweet taste in the mix.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, but creamy and smooth. Lacks the dry bite that I look for in a DIPA.

Overall this is a solid offering. It is definitely a hop bomb, but is surprisingly well balanced for that genre of beer. I thought that the sweet smell that I got from the nose would be the end of this beer, but it turned out to be pleasant. I wish that I had a Pliny the Elder to do a side by side tasting but oh well. Solid offering. I'm glad that this beer made the cut.

04-17-2009 00:33:29 | More by KBoudreau66
breyton490

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Poured out into a Sam's Adams glass. Had a nice 1 inch head of foam which stayed around for the entire glass. Color was a deep orange with a slight haze likely from the heavy hoping.

S: Nice floral hop aroma. Strong citrus, some dank Columbus aroma. Very nice. Closest thing to a west coast IPA aroma i have sampled on the east coast.

T: Good upfront bitterness, malty, slightly sweet,

M: Medium mouth feel. Has quite a bit of body, not as dry as the Pliny the Elder IIPA this beer was modeled after. I doubt I would be able to drink more than 2-3 of these in a sitting.

D: There is a lot of malt backbone in this beer. Not as dry as the Pliny the Elder IIPA this beer was modeled after. I doubt I would be able to drink more than 2-3 of these in a sitting

04-16-2009 15:00:31 | More by breyton490
Mitchster

2.05/5  rDev -47.2%

Bought as part of the 2009 6 pack, I think $9.29 for the 6'er @ Jacks. Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange, forming a tall yello whead with excellent retention and thick sheets of lacing with a mild to medium carbonation. Medium dense body with a prickly acidity and bone dry mouth puckering horrid finish. The aroma opens with a huge hop nose which has floral, tropical (mango and orange), and pine characteristics. I definitely get amarillo and centennial in there...with a little bit of pungent skunkiness. The taste starts nice with big bold flavorful hops, followed by a medium strong herbaceous bitterness, grapefruit pith, some burnt rubber and toasted grains in the middle, and quickly dissolves into a very bitter chemical like/burning PVC fume aftertaste.

I'm not a fan of this one. It smells good, but it's got this horrid bitterness in the aftertaste, like chemicals and burnt plastic. The aftertaste is actually quite atrocious. Terribly unbalanced, and I have no desire to ever drink this one again. I'll stick to my Two Hearted, Centennial, and Stone IPA.

10 minutes later and I still have this horrible taste in my mouth. I'm actually cracking open another IPA to get rid of it. Ughhhh...this is actually a drain pour, which is pretty hard to get me to do with IPA's.

04-15-2009 22:17:23 | More by Mitchster
NJpadreFan

Sam Adams- Long Shot DIPA

A- Hazy orange brown with a good thick tight bubbly head. Thick lacing along the top half of the glass.
S- Thick sweet sugary malts with a sweet grapefruit hop bite.
T- Thick and malty, bits of caramel up front. Big sweet and bitter grapefruit hops take over.
M- Very thick and sweet. Big bitter grapefruit body and finish.

Overall- Bitter and tasty.

04-15-2009 20:59:00 | More by NJpadreFan
SpecialK088

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a bottle into a sam adams summer glass.

A-Carmel clored brown with a nice head about 1 finger laces great down the glass very good looking beer.

S-Fresh hops very bitter citrus

T-Very bitter hops and maybe a hint of sweetness toward the finish. To be honest its almost like they overhopped it with just 1 kind of hop. Its a little to much of one thing.

M-Medium body very straightforward not real complex at all.

D-Out of all the Long shots in the pack this is suprisingly the one I really don't care to have again.

04-14-2009 13:33:05 | More by SpecialK088
TurdFurgison

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

My first bottle from this year's 6 pack of Longshot beers. I went straight for the DIPA as I've been waiting for it since late 2007 (delayed due to the hops shortage).

The beer could not look more attractive, hazy golden color with a thick yeast-cake foam that leaves wet lace all over the glass. The smell of wet hops is nice, pine resin and astringent citrus with a sweet malty aroma. The taste is good in that you can taste a complex mixture of hops varieties, but I think I actually taste anise in there as well. Now that I've tasted it I can smell a little anise in the aroma as well... The body is on the thick side which is nice. Overall this is a good DIPA, could be great if someone can eliminate the black licorice component.

04-14-2009 00:32:16 | More by TurdFurgison
birchstick

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -9%

A - Poured burnt orange with a huge head

S - Bready/caramely malts are detectable, however they are dominated by grapefruit and citrus hops. Smells pretty darn good.

T - My mouth was immediately bombarded by hops, tasting of pine, grass, and grapefruit. An abundance of hops isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there wasn't very much malt to counteract the hop dominance. I really didn't taste any of the malts that were present in the smell.

M - Goes down pretty smoothly and the 9% abv was pretty well masked.

D - This is a good beer if you in-your-face hops, but if you like a well-balanced DIPA, this one probably isn't for you. Pretty good beer, and well worth the price for the six pack. However, I enjoy a little bit more balance to my DIPAs. Rest assured, hop lovers will enjoy this.

04-13-2009 04:17:28 | More by birchstick
Thorpe429

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

G: Poured into an oversized snifter.

A: Pours a dark apricot/light amber with a strong, creamy head. Plenty of carbonation in the head, and the beer is nearly opaque in the glass. Great lacing.

S: Hop complexity. Many different fruits coming out of this, as well as the standard pine and floral aromas.

T: Incredibly balanced for the amount of hops in this one. Slightly floral and mostly fruity--not much of the pine in the taste. Surprised by the balance to this one, it's not as over-the-top as the nose would suggest.

M: Smooth and creamy; medium-bodied. A little hint of alcohol warmth on the way down.

D: Quite drinkable; doesn't quite push me to immediately take another sip, but I'd definitely like to have this one around more often.

04-13-2009 01:42:14 | More by Thorpe429
dakid618

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a deep golden amber color with a finger and a half of frothy white head. Lots of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass as I let it warm slightly to fully appreciate this beer. Smell is mostly citrus hops but some pine is there too. Taste is citrusy hops with a big malt backbone. Medium dry mouthfeel with a slightly waxy finish. Good drinkabilty, if sold in six packs or bombers I would buy occasionally.

04-12-2009 22:49:53 | More by dakid618
lincoln44

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

heard this was coming to town and couldn't wait. St. Louis is not lucky enough to get Pliny and being that this is a clone I became a instantly interested. I bought one of two cases delivered to my specialty supplier.
A- Nice color, copper colored. I didn't get any lacing but I might have had it chilled more than recommended.

S- I've never smelled the hop fields at harvest time but I could guess that it is something like this beer. Citrusy sweet and pungent.

T- It has been too long since I have last tasted Pliny but from what I remember Sam Adams/ Mike McDole have done a great job in creating in my mind a wonderful tasting hop bomb. I really feel like I am drinking liquid hops and I fucking love it.

M- Unable to taste the alcohol but the malt is just enough to balance the bitterness of the massive hop load.

D- I am glad to have purchased the case of the long shot beers. The other two beers are decent, but I paid $7.50 per sixer and thats ok in my mind when it includes this beer that could go for $5 a bottle or $6-7 a pint at the bar.

04-12-2009 20:18:51 | More by lincoln44
naterock

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

(reviewed from notes)
Poured into a tasting glass with a cloudy golden color no lacing a very little head

Smell is hops and nothing else really, nothing else

Taste is so overpowered. I know it's a DIPA but damn it would be nice for at least a taste of some malts. Seriously lacks complexity but if that's what some one was shooting for then good job. Reminds me of other single hop IPAs.

Mouth is very oily and overly carbonated, not very inviting even for a hop fiend. drinks slowly because it is truly hard to handle.

04-12-2009 20:13:51 | More by naterock
degerbah

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

This rating is going to have to be a little weird. Pours beautifully. Looks just like any other DIPA. Oh the Hops, Oh God the Hops. The smell is like gettnig hit over the head by a baseball bat. Pure Hops. There is a Runination-esque amount of flavoring. It;s a good thing it's my last beer of this session because everything else would taste like water.

Almost no alcohol taste is detectable over the hops and the abv puts some barley wines to shame. I might continue to buy longshots packs just to hoard this beer. Probably a better beer than I'm rating it, it's the definition of an extreme beer.

04-11-2009 22:15:32 | More by degerbah
SmithwicksNut

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

From what I have read this a clone of Russian River Pliny the Elder. I was very intrigued.

A: Pours an orange hue with a big white head. Great lacing.

S: A citrusy aroma very pleasant to the nose with a hint of malt coming in behind the hop aroma.

T: Big hop bitterness that sits in the back of the mouth with subtle alcohol warming.

M: A medium body with medium high carbonation with wonderful smoothness.

D: Everything you expect from a DIPA. A wonderful "Hop Bomb." Everyone should give this a try you will not be let down. Sam Adams should consider making this year round. It would be one of their biggest sellers.

04-11-2009 21:12:06 | More by SmithwicksNut
lonestar4lunch

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

I was lucky I called my favorite beer store to ask about this as they were just getting this in and only got 1 case! Poured in to my Goose Island IPA glass. Nice, huge head that leaves a ton of lacing. The aroma is spot on for the style and pretty big. Citrus, sweetness, pine....big hop flavor. On first sip the bitterness hits the side of your tongue and sticks around well after it's gone. It is surprisingly creamy and smooth with not much carbonation. Very hoppy with some citrus and sour notes. Trying to figure out what this finishes like took some time but it leaves me tasting peanut butter after the sip is long gone. Maybe I am a bit off today, who knows. Very good, isn't my favorite of the style but well done. The Weizenbock is still #1 in the Longshot series but this is a close 2nd. Off to try the traditional bock and cranberry wit.

04-11-2009 00:07:00 | More by lonestar4lunch
mtbbaboon

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

What a nice surprise to see this Longshot six pack on the shelf of the beer store. I was most interested in the double IPA. Poured this into a Duvel tulip glass. Color is a nice hazy orange. Moderate head that leaves a nice ring and sticky lacing. Smells hoppy like you'd expect, but not overpowering. Citrus is noticable (grapefruit). The taste is much the same. Plenty of hops there, but a nice dose of sweet malt to bring a little more balance to it. There is something else there that I can't put my finger on. I LIKE it, but I can't tell what it is (ideas, anyone?). Finishes off with a touch of bitterness. Medium mouthfeel. Just the right amount of carbonation. Leaves a mild amount of stick behind. This is a real nice double IPA. I'd love to be able to get this in six packs.

04-10-2009 21:02:13 | More by mtbbaboon
plaid75

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a hazy bright copper hue with a one finger creamy off white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a juicy sweet orange hop with a solid sweet malt.

The taste featured balmy resinous hops with elements of pine, grapefruit and orange. A robust sweetness supported the heavy hop dosage.

The mouthfeel was full and typical of the style.

Overall a very complex and full bodied hop bomb.

04-10-2009 02:22:11 | More by plaid75
LyonsHead

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

A: pours a bright orange color with a rather weak head that didn't stick around for the ride

S: I'd like to say I can smell all seven variety of hops used... Im sure someone here will... Uhh I can't! but it smells like grapefruit and bubble gum with some deep floral notes

T: About like it smells. Starts heavy on the hops with the grapefruit and citrus. Surprisingly not that bitter, im guessing the majority were late addition hops. a lingering sour affect stays with you for some time after the swallow

M: Medium body and smooth, kinda like the majority of the beer from SA, I know this isn't their recipe but it has their flare.

D: this is a great DIPA, the first one available Nationwide supposedly, I dunno, it was in some other post. It's good though, get one quick, I think its only here for a year!

04-08-2009 01:33:06 | More by LyonsHead
Monkeyknife

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Poured from the bottle a bright hazy orange with two fingers of bright white head.

Big, juicy aroma of grapefruit, pine, and floral notes. If you like hops, you'll love this.

The taste matches the big hoppy aroma with a big hoppy blast of grapefruit, pine, and flowers plus a rich caramel maltiness for balance. The almost-10% alcohol is present but subtle.

Medium bodied, smooth, creamy and bright, with a light carbonation.

I wondered how close this would get to the essence of Pliny The Elder. I feel it's close enough. Without a doubt, this is my favorite of the Longshot series thus far. Try it.

04-07-2009 22:29:41 | More by Monkeyknife
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

appearance - Nice dark copper color will a nice beige head that did stick around. Even though I had this in a plastic cup it did have a lot of lace in the glass.

smell - Pretty much all hops here.

taste - Has some malt up front but does end with a some bitterness at the end.

mouthfeel - medium body.

drinkability - Not that bad. I'm not a hop head, but I could drink this. I bought a 10 oz cup for $10 Gillette Stadium. This brew has popped up on tap at some places from where I have read. Those days might be over. Until then you can find here at the Sam Adams Brew House at Gillette Stadium. This will be bottled in the Long Shot set next year

10-27-2008 02:37:00 | More by auxiliary
Reagan1984

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

This is the beer that won the Homebrew contest and is sold only at Gillette Stadium. I'm quite surprised that nobody has added and reviewed this to date. Well, here goes..

I had two glasses that were served in stadium plastic cups. You can't have everything.

Actually the beer had quite a nice head on it despite being served in a plastic cup. The retention on this head was unreal. I bought two glasses and the head on the 2nd one stayed during the entire time I drank the first one. The beer was a cloudy reddish amber color. Quite a bit of visible carbonation. Lots of lacing for a plastic cup as well.

Big aroma. Floral and citrus.

Taste was pretty darn good.
Fresh hop flavor. Real citrus like with lemon tones. It smoothed out nicely as it warms slowly. I actually liked it much better closer to room/cellar temp. You also get a sweet grain flavor coming through and a touch of yeastiness.

Mouth feel was really creamy and silky. Drinkability was nice. When it was a bit colder there was a slight chalkiness to it. As it warmed this seemed less pronounced.

Glad I had a chance to try this.

10-26-2008 22:40:32 | More by Reagan1984
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
LongShot Double IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)