LongShot Double IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Double IPALongShot Double IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 04-07-2009

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

Bought as part of the Longshot sixer in late April for $7.99. Good thru September 2009.

Beer poured a cloudy orange with a good white head that is lasting. Nose is very strong of floral hops. Taste is pretty much a hop bomb. Resiny hops dominate with not enough malt to balance this out. Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy and smooth. This is not the most drinkable of beers. It is a bit too unbalanced for the style. (416 characters)

Appearance: Very cloudy brown/red, almost no head or lacing. Carbonation was nice with the Sam Adams glass.

Smell: Very piney smell. Not much floral aroma.

Taste: Tons of hops, pine, then citrus, and spice. A good strong double IPA, but seems to lack some balance. Alcohol is easily present.

MouthFeel: Slightly thick or resiny.

Drinkability: Definitely a strong double IPA and seems to fall in line with the double's I've had. Seems to fall on the strong/piney/bitter side compared to some. Not much malt/sweetness to balance it out, but enough to make it go down pretty easy. Alcohol taste is pretty strong, and I could feel it hit my bloodstream since it has been 3 hours since I have eaten. (699 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance - pours a burnt orange. A thick finger of white dirty foam forms up. It is poorly constructed and falls apart in erratic fashion. Starry bits and clots of lace are left behind.

Aroma - intense pine, mango, grapefruit. Um...hoppy.

Taste - biscuity, malty start, but its presence is momentary. Some sharp grapefruit rind followed by an insane hoppy bitterness. Very medicinal, a bitter assault on the taste buds. I'm getting more malt presence with some warming but I'm still struggling with this one. The other bottle gets a two year nap, minimum, to see if those hops lighten up. Not a great taste experience.

Mouthfeel - nice viscous feel, a heavy body with lower carbonation.

Drinkability - I won't mind if I never have this again, though I have some interest in how the other bottle ages.
***
Aged review
Appearance - I poured this aged sample and disturbed some sediment, creating small flakes in this bright, iced-tea amber brew. A finger and more of creamy almond lace with great stick and lacing. 4.5

Aroma - great orangey citrus with a backdrop of pine. Even some malty hints as this settles. 4.5

Taste - quick and light malts, somewhat thin. Or maybe just hopelessly overwhelmed by the hop onslaught. Orange and a touch of soapy lemon create the beachfront, but the hop invasion after that is rough, harsh, and medicinal. Retreat! Not quite that bad, but I'm not into it. I guess if the malt is ramped up it would have better balance but would likely be a barleywine. Oh well, after the burn, the bitterness, medicinal, and dryness complete the scorched earth battlefield analogy. 2.0

Mouthfeel - good smoothness for the style, good crisp carbonation, sturdy body. 4.0

Drinkability - yikes, I liked everything about the beer except how it tastes. Oh well, congrats to Mike for his winner. 1.5 (1,820 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

According to the label on this particular bottle, this beer should be good through September. That may be, but at least the bottle I had, one of the things I wondered right off the bat was how fresh it is/was.

The beer pours a peachy orange color with good head retention and lacing. I don't get a lot on the nose, just some light citrus and sweet malt. On the palate, this beer is intriguing. There really seemed to be a lot going on, with a melange of different flavors. Unfortunately, not everthing I tasted was attractive.

As the label indicates, there is a considerable malt presence in this beer, and initially I got flavors of brown sugar, cherry and butter, but then there is a considerable onslaught of hoppy bitterness/citrus, along with considerable alcohol in the finish. The combination is intriguing, but I can't say I found it attractive. In particular, the noticeable alcohol really wore me out as I went along, and eventually I flat out couldn't drink any more of this beer. Frankly, I thought the beer very out of balance, which is why I questioned this beer's freshness. On the other hand, there was certainly a very noticeable hop presence in this beer, and there was nothing about that aspect of the flavor profile that would lead me to believe this beer was too old. In any event, I just have to say that this was another DIPA where the combination of sweetness and noticeable high alcohol made for a bad combination, and really detracted from the beer's drinkability. I'm afraid I'm not impressed. (1,522 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

A- Slightly cloudy amber color beer with a thick beige head. Head falls slowly and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

S- Grapefruit hops dominate the aroma. Some light pine and floral going on in the background.

T- Bitter twang of hop from beginning to end. Wavers back and forth between grapefruit and pine with the pine winning out in the end.. Slight sweetness appears near the middle and becomes prominent at the finish.

M- A little more than medium in body, well carbonated and slightly creamy. Finish is clean with no hop residue.

D- Easy drinking at 9.6% ABV. I would never have guess that it was this high.

I wish it was a little more complex, but you have to love Boston Beer Co. for this contest and some of the great beer that come out of it. Nicely done. (770 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Hey this is one of the best Sam Adams out there in my humble opinion. Thanks to Mike McDole for this one.
Pours out a nice cloudy ice tea color with two fingers of the white suds.
Smell is citrusy hops and a heavy pine aroma.
If this is a PTE clone then there is too much alcohol in the nose.
Taste is thick alcohol and pine resin. Malt and sugar follow soon afterward.
Mouthfeel is just as a double IPA should be.Sticky and resiny.
Drinkability is OK here until I find out if this is ultra expensive if they release it on it's own. (532 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

*-Paired the beer with salmon, green beans, and brown rice. Served in a Stella Artois glass.

A- Just gorgeous. Rich, cloudy amber color (similar to a farmhouse ale). Had a 2 1/2 finger, creamy head when poured.
*PLEASE NOTE: MOST LIKELY BECAUSE OF THE SCENT, A COUPLE OF FILES CAN GET INTO THE BEER, SO THIS IS THE WARNING WHEN LOOKING IN YOUR GLASS!

S- Nice and hopi/florally. Malty and just kind of a clean scent.

T- Extremely hopi. I was surprised to find the beer to be very creamy and smooth.

M- Creamy and smooth.

D-Not really something I can just down easily. It's not a very light beer, so it isn't easy on the drinking side.

*-I wish that this were an actual beer Sam Adams put out rather than a contest winner. It was that good! (746 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%

The first thing that hits me about this beer is that I can smell flowery hops off the pour and I don't even have the glass to my nose yet. I poured it on the counter top and the hop aroma was strong enough for me to smell it from 2 feet away! This prompted me to lift the glass to my nose to get a good sniff. The aroma is very nice, mostly of flowery American hops, but there is some underlying citrus as well. It is a very well blended hop profile, with the flowery hops, and the citrus is a nice combination of some grapefruit, lemon, and a small bit of sweet orange and a hint of pine. Aside from the hop aroma, you get a sweet malt aroma as well, mostly caramel and not much else. But this is evidence that there will be enough malt to support the hops in this one.

I almost forgot the appearance in this one, because the aroma stole the show. The beer poured a real nice dense head that lasted for several minutes. The beer is a dark golden amber color with some haze probably from dry hopping.

Flavor is where this beer leaves me just a little bit. Don't get me wrong it is very good, and quite large which is what it should be, but it appears to be a bit out of balance for my taste. The hop flavor is complex and incredible. There is some hints of pine and grapefruit and just a thick juicy hop cone sitting right in your mouth. How great is that? Pretty great I would say. But there is just a little something off in the finish. The bitterness is OK, but it is so tongue coating that it leaves an impression of chalky dryness. The malt is very nice, with a sweet and soft caramel flavor that starts off balancing the hops nicely until the hops just beats the crap out of it. You can obviously taste the alcohol in this beer as well, not only in just the nose, but the flavor as well. This style should be very hop assertive, which it is, but I think that one of the hop choices may not sit so well the beer.

I don't want you to get me wrong, this beer is a very good example of an Imperial IPA and I am enjoying it. I have had Pliney the Elder, and although it is almost as enjoyable as it's inspiration, it just falls a touch short. (2,150 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: Dark golden copper color. Head is somewhat sandy in color, not big, but retains itself rather well, dissipating slowly. Nice amount of lacing.

Aroma: Beautiful sweet pineapple aroma. The hop aroma really comes through here.

Taste: Malty sweetness upfront. Almost chocolate. This is followed by a tart citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel: Not over carbonated as some Double IPA tend to be. Somewhat chewy. (409 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Okay, I heard this is a Pliny clone. After drinking it, if it is, its a very poor copy. On its own, its a decent DIPA. Poured oily copepr with a bursting white head. Sticky lacing. Aroma smelled a bit earthy, plenty of pine and grapefruit, along with a sweeter mango/melon. Taste was nice. Sweet citrus, again with the grapefruit and mango, but also some blood orange and lemon. Lots of caramel sweetness which builds up towards the end. No real resin/pine bite, which was kind of disappointing. Mouthfeel was full, somewhat sticky, and long. I liked it, its better than some of SA's regular "professional" brews. (613 characters)

3.9/5  rDev 0%

I poured into a pint glass to a small off white head. It is a hazy amber color. I smell citrus at first. Then I got some pine, and finally the caramel malts came through. I get the malts up front and finish with the pine. It is a nice IPA. It is not my favorite style, but I would put it up there with most of the IPA's that I have tried. (338 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

A: I've always been a fan of the Longshots: Attractive 6 pack, labeling, storyline, etc. My local establishment charges the same price for Longshots as any other Sam 6'er...so I'm happy!

S: Smells like most IPA's - no complaints here. Although, I do live close to 3 Floyds which might make me a tad biased to "normal IPA's"

T: Outstanding taste on this one. Wonderful hop note but not at all overpowering - I am a fan of APA's and this one hits the mark for me.

M: Feels like it has some guts...flavors keep coming out the longer you treat your palate to this tasty brew. Pine and a touch of sweetness for me...tastes more like the perfect APA than a double IPA IMO

D: Amazingly good considering the 9.6% - Planning to split a case of Longshot with my buddy this week and cheers to Mike McDole for a fantastic, tasty double IPA! (832 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a snifter.

A-Orange-white head, big off the pour, minimal retention. Very hazy amber beer, dullish near the middle, but otherwise quite glowing.

S-Resin and citrus hops, very thick.

T-Biscuity-caramel malt strikes the palate first, followed quickly by an herbal hoppiness, thick with resin and floral-citrus (same as from the nose) in the background. Overall, malt backbone is semi-sweet (more than balanced by the hop bitterness), with a toasty biscuity flavor, met with some occasional fruity esters. As stated, hop bitterness does more than balance, as it lingers strong into the fruity semi-dry finish.

M-Medium to medium-full body, imposing but not overwhelming. Low carbonation, a bit too low, in my opinion.

D-A moderately drinkable DIPA, showing some strong characteristics of the style of beer, while also being a simply pleasant brew. (861 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Nose is abundant with American hops - citric, resinous pine, floral, tropical fruity, and somewhat pungent. Mild caramel/roasted malt notes poke through, but this beer's about the hop. Smells simply decedent.

Pours mildly hazy amber gold with a massive, truly massive, head. Looks quite good.

Flavor follows nose with a solid malt to launch this hop assault from, and hints of alcohol. Only moderate bitterness really. Mild sweetness takes on a caramel malt vibe. I'll try to describe the wonderment of hops in this beer, even though I can't do it justice with words: citric overtones speak of grapefruit, blood orange, and bitter orange peel; then resinous pine in feeling almost as much as in flavor, then a floral perfume of tropical fresh flowers, followed by softer notes of earth, herb, leaf, and pungentness - a beautiful spectrum of hop grandeur that is everything a Double IPA should be. Tastes great. Feels good. Great drinkability. (944 characters)

Poured from 12oz bottle into Tulip.

A. 3 finger light head. Good head retention. Nice lacing left on glass. Had a good collar of head that remained. Nice dark orange color.

S. Big citurs hops. Smell is almost all hops and not much malt. More of a biscuity malt smell as it warms.

T. Hops. Grassy floral hops. Biscuity malt. Decent bitterness.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

D. One of the best beers I have had from Sam Adams. Very drinkable. Not quite as big or bold as other DIPA's. (495 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%

A batallion of differing hops, lead by a citrusness of c-hops. Very drinkable, good rep for the style. Hop aroma, above average mouthfeel, and fruity colour and lace. Complex taste, not too ahrsh, and the alcohol kicks in quickly, ad also dries the mouth.

Mixed six-pack. (272 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -52.3%

Pours a hazy golden-orange hue with an exceptionally long lasting cap of cream colored foam. Pretty nice lacing as well.

Hmmmm, this one might be tough...hops, maybe? The lupulin in this beer ranges from grassy to citric to earthy to tropical. There is a solid platform of caramely malt in there as well. It's not bad, but I prefer my hoppy beers to showcase just one type of hop aroma.

Bitter as hell with a thick, almost syrupy malt backbone. The malt tries to maintain some sort of fleeting balance, but even that fails as bitter hops are overwhelmingly strong. I like my hops every once in a while, but for me this beer is not good at all. Too dull, earthy, citric and bitter. Im giving the longshot sixpack a thumbs down this year as the traditional bock was the only beer worth drinking in there.

I actually drainpoured the end of this foul concoction. Haven't done that in almost a year. Absolutely atrocious. (919 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is a super-cloudy copper. Big puffy light brown head. Carbonation obscured by its murkyness. The head is slushy. Color is glowing, radiant.

The smell is major pine resin hops. Very oily. Dark roasted rye bread/pumpernickel malts. Hops are overwhelming. Could use a tad more balance.

The taste is hops, big and oaky. Sawdust and wood chips. Very, very bitter. The aftertaste is like a thick brandy. It is intense and brutally bitter. Notice I haven't mentioned the word "malt" here, and for good reason.

The feel is smooth and milky. Thick like motor oil. Leaves a bitter remnant. It's a major blast of woody hops. Soooo bitter, no sweet or malty balance. (672 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Orangish copper in color. Soft two-finger head. Decent amount of fluffy lacing.

S: Spicy malt smell. Kind of a weird spoiled scent.

T: An odd mix of malt and hops. Maybe too much malt so that the hops are hidden. Missing the sticky, citric, piney flavors I expect in a double IPA. Not a bad taste, just not what I expected.

M: Thick and chewy over the tongue. Dries out nicely in the end. Some slight carbonation.

D: Big and heavy brew that I'd be hard pressed to specifically want in any situation. Unless maybe I just want to get drunk - this certainly is big enough for that.

Served: in a standard pint glass. (620 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a cloudy golden with a big foamy head. Good lacing.

S: A big, resiny hop aroma with a complex constitution of pine, grass, citrus, and floral notes. Somewhat candy-like.

T: Big, thick taste. All sorts of hop flavors going on, but an earthy quality is the one that sticks out the most. Surprisingly well-balanced with a prominent caramel malt taste. A soft bitterness in the finish.

M: Full-bodied, thick, and chewy with soft carbonation. Velvety smooth.

D: The hop flavors may be a bit too mangled, yet this is me being nit-picky. A fine brew and one to look for. (576 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Opaque, golden body with a thick white head.

S- Citrusy and green hops, grapefruit and some developed malt notes.

T- Fresh hop notes and some citrus/grapefruit notes come in first. The caramel malts come in a little bit from the background. The finish is bitter.

M- Crisp and full beer. Nice carbonation.

D- A nice DIPA, but there is nothing about the beer that makes it as good of some other DIPAs I've had. (415 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

A: pours a hazy golden color with a substantial head. Head is creamy and hangs around until the last drop. Very nice lacing.

S: Heavy on the hops, get a ton of citrus specifically grapefruit, pine and caramel.

T: Heavy on the bitter citrus. Grapefruit rind and honey stick out. There is some caramel malt taste but the bitterness dominates. Also have the grassy/pine hop profile you would expect. Has a certain amount of spiciness as well.

M: For a DIPA, this is creamy. The beer is smooth and has a coating texture. Really enjoyed the mouthfeel of this DIPA and think it is the standout of this beer.

D: The harsh bitter taste lowers the drink-ability of this beer. I could only maybe have one or two in a night. The ABV will sneak up on you as well. (758 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%

Reviewed 6/24/2009 (bottle):

Pours a opaque dark orange colored body, with a huge rocky off-white colored head, very lasting. Very hoppy aroma, grapefruity, bitter. Some Cascade. A little dusty smelling, but more green. Balanced with some sweetness too, not overly bitter smelling. Hoppy taste, bitter initial taste. Very sweet aftertaste. Bitter finish. Fresh tasting. Almost gritty tasting, very bitter, almost caustic. Letting warm up a bit. (445 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a hazy burnished copper into my pint glass. One finger of white head, solid lacing, settles down into a froth on the top of the glass. Sweet light fruits, strong pine resins and fresh hop aromas. Strong grapefruit rind citrus aroma, as well.

Big grapefruit rind and hop bitterness up front over a malty body. Sweet and tart fruit on the back end, hop presence is largely up front. Lighter carbonation, lingering hop bitterness, a light grassy taste and some alcohol on the back end. Medium body.

Not really a session beer, but a halfway decent IPA. Best of this year's Boston Brewing Company "Longshot" offerings. (621 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Drank this earlier tonight with a friend while watching some movies. Poured an orange color with decent head and minimal lacing. Smelled of citrusy/piney hops with some hints of malt. Tasted of bitter earthy hops. Fairly smooth, but dry and bitter. Could drink a few. (267 characters)

LongShot Double IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)