Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Coastal WheatSamuel Adams Coastal Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: jdhilt on 09-14-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +51.3%

4.72/5  rDev +50.3%

This is my personal favorite from Sam Adams. It tastes just like the name "Coastal Wheat". It has awesome drinkability. The added lemon gives balance and brightness. The alcohol content is way better than "Cherry Wheat". So that just adds to the value. You get great hop flavor & it's refreshing.

4.63/5  rDev +47.5%

Smell is a rush of lemon and citrus. The appearance is a pale color with vivid flushes of a light gold color. Very smooth and a very sweet beer. The drink-ability is superior...I could only best describe this beer as a light form of Sam Adams Summer Ale. Truly a great beer from the Sam Adams line.

4.6/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had to order this beer in a case since It's not availble here yet.

Beer poured a nice pale cloudy yellow with a good head.

Smell is a hint of lemon peel.

This taste way better than the hef. Very refreshing.

I could dring these all night. Not a heavy beer in the least.
SA does it again.

4.58/5  rDev +45.9%

A - Very cloudy tan color. Big head goes away over time. Nice lacing
S - First is smell of lemon. Hoppy
T - Wow. This is actually very well balanced and good. The first taste is lemon but it is not sweet or sour. It kinda reminds me of duck sauce (the orange sauce at Chinese restaurants). Had a subtle wheat flavor and some hops.
M - medium
D - extremely drinkable. I really like it and so do my non-beer drinking friends

4.55/5  rDev +44.9%

12 oz. bottle from the local wal-mart

A: I admit to drinking straight from the bottle

S: Nice light grains, good indicator of the taste

T: I *love* the taste. A really solid wheat finish (which is what one would hope for given the name) with light lemon overtones.

M: I've had better, but I've also had a lot worse. Good over all. Mild carbonation and a refreshing texture. Not overly water and not overly creamy.

D: It goes without saying that this is the perfect beer for porch sittin' in the summer

4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

I actually find this beer to be quite refreshing. Works wonders on a hot summer day and with just about any seafood dish. The lemon flavor is very noticeable in the aftertaste. This is a very delicious beer that you can definitely have more than one of.
The head dissipates rather quickly for a Sam Adams but it does have a slightly higher carbonation than most. I'm a little biased because I tend to like the lemon flavor but I do recommend that you give it a try. You probably won't be disappointed.

4.47/5  rDev +42.4%

Love this as a late spring early summer type of ale. The lemon zest is not overpowering, but absolutely noticeable. Not as hazy as some wheat ales, but this is not one of my prerequisites. Overall, I would recommend this very drinkable beer. Samuel Adams strikes again.

4.45/5  rDev +41.7%

It's becoming a real uphill bottle for me to get back to The CANQuest (TM), but with so much beer in abeyance down in the basement and the summer stretched out in front of me, I feel CANpelled to rid myself of some of the backlog.

This, however, was totally fresh, with a best by date of Sep 2011. Also from the bottle: "Hazy and golden in color, this brew is a fresh twist on the popular Hefeweizen style. Eureka and Lisbon lemons from three growing regions in California balance out the wheat malt character resulting in a crisp and refreshing wheat ale with subtle lemon flavor. Cheers!"

I started out with a finger of foamy, bone-white head, but by the time I finished typing the above, it was down to wisps. That seems like good retention in my book! Color was a cloudy (not hazy) orangish-yellow. Nose had the characteristic "snap" of wheat malt, but I would have guessed orange as the underlying citrus smell, vice lemon. Whoops! Mouthfeel was relatively full, approaching creamy, with a definite citrus presence, but not a tart one. It was like a Creamsicle, reinforcing my earlier stance on orange, vice lemon. Finish was so much like a Creamsicle that I now wanted one for the first time in years! Yay, summer!

4.43/5  rDev +41.1%

Nose is tangy sour, very characteristically wheaty. Fruity, citrusy, and some lemongrass. Sweet smelling base malt. Smooth and well balance. Smells quite good.

Pours hazy yellow with well formed creamy, foamy head. Looks good.

Oh, this is good. Smooth and creamy, rich and subtle, well flavored with tight balance. Soft malt base is kind of bready, upon which the characteristic wheatiness is built: zesty/peppery, citrus fruity, lemongrass (or most likely the lemon), and touch of dry powderiness. Just enough sourness to quench the thirst. Just enough sweetness to balance. Medium body. Hint of vanilla. Slightly grainy. Tastes great. Feels good. Very good drinkability.

Coastal Wheat is a masterfully crafted and well designed beer. A stellar representation of what I think of as a 'beer': tight balance, full flavored, and highly quaffable (and bottle conditioned - a plus).

4.35/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This beer pored golden cloudy...looks very appealing

s: Smells of ripe lemon....the eureka and lisbon lemons really stand out.

t: Taste like a hefeweizen by nature with a nice twist of lemon.

o: I think Sam Adams has made better beers but I would drink it again.

4.33/5  rDev +37.9%

Has a nice subtle lemon aroma. Has a creamy taste yet has that lemon zing to round it out. Very refreshing. Has soft milky amber color.Dry with very little after taste. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Best served cold on a hot summer day. I'll be looking for this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +35.4%

This was my favorite wheat beer for the longest time. It was also my first. I haven't had it in forever, so my points for it go to nostalgia, but I know I'd still like it if I drank one now.

4.25/5  rDev +35.4%

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)