Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Coastal WheatSamuel Adams Coastal Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: jdhilt on 09-14-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat Alström Bros

1.22/5  rDev -61.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Only a moderate head for a wheat beer, and this quickly disappears leaving only a thin white layer of foam, and moderate lacing. Beer is a hazy, semi-cloudy deep golden. Aroma has a weird, oddly chemically smell reminiscent of Lemon Pledge. Taste carries the same harsh artificial quality. Mouthfeel is thin, withy nothing special standing out. This beer is close to being undrinkable to me, and by far my biggest disappointment from Sam Adams.

1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

1.4/5  rDev -55.4%

I don't get it replace your hefe that was actually an American Wheat to an American Wheat with lemon peels. Why not do a real German style hefeweizen to join the party of Cherry Wheat, Double White, White Ale, DunkelWeizen and Summer. That's alot of wheat beer. Maybe it's time to do a different style, how about an IPA. Pale hazed golden orange hue with a bright white head, leaves behind speckled lacing. Aroma has a biscuit malt character a lot of yeast nuttiness with citrus peels apparent. Not much sweetness or hops going on here. Pretty abrasive with lemon peel zest bitterrness and tart wheat blended with that nasty dry nutty yeast notes. Mouthfeel overall is pretty harsh with the carbonation levels just an unpleasant experience with the lemonpeel left on the palate after each sip. Drinkability is poor this is one that should be skipped and I enjoy most of the Sam Adams brews out there.

1.48/5  rDev -52.9%

Boring ol yellowish clear. white head of 1 finger and little to no lacing. just the same ol boring taste feel and finish. could have just as well had a boring miller lite. yes this beer was that terrible to my taste buds. not much flavor nor any thing good.

1.48/5  rDev -52.9%

Got this one from a winter variety pack. It pours a nice golden color in the glass. The aggressive lemon smell reminds me of cleaning solution. The taste isn't too far off. This beer seems to have been a well intentioned attempt at adding something simple and refreshing to a variety pack. The execution just isn't there. Every sip reminded me of chemicals.

1.56/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought at Albies in a sampler sixxer with Black ale and Irish red.
A-Pours a lacking gold color, like Coors accidentally poured into a glass the had a bit of milk left in it. Head was thin and coarsely laced, dissipated fairly quick. The label indicated some sort of exotic lemon was added to the mix. Uh-oh.
S-Excellent; for lemonade. Unfortunately it's beer. Beer mixed with Lemon pledge is a good comparison.
T-see above. My first beer to be poured down the drain. Threw away the glass I used just to be safe.
M-Much less worse then the taste and smell. Not too offensive.
I have no idea why SA insists on putting fruit in their beer. I have tangled with the dreaded cranberry lambic as well. Seems like they are universally hated.
Update-tried the other bottle, came in with a head full of steam psyching myself up to finish the whole bottle. Just as awful as the last one. Another for the sink. Tastes and smells like hand soap. Very quickly losing the desire to buy anything SA as 1/3 of the nine dollar six pack got poured.

1.6/5  rDev -49%

I'm not going to do a full review from this one tasting. I'll try a bottle from my local and run it through the test-taste gauntlet. Just wanted to note that this draft example, which I had with lunch at an Uno's Chicago Pizza restaurant, was a tall glass of diacetyl soup.

The nose began to put me off, but once I started drinking, I found it completely unacceptible. In fact, I sent it back and the waitress brought me a perfectly drinkable Half Moon wheat to help wash down my pizza, and to remove the rancid-butter slick from my mouth left by the Sam Adams.

I am normally a fan of Sam Adams beers--they do a very nice job on a wide variety of brews. This one was simply yucky. However, in the previous BA reviews of this beer, I don't see others who encountered the diacetyl bomb, so I'll give Sam a fair second chance.

1.66/5  rDev -47.1%

I'm no beer expert, but do enjoy many of the offering from the Boston Beer Company. Sam Adams Octoberfest, Irish Red and Winter Lager are some of my favorites. With that being said, Coastal Wheat is barely drinkable.

All I get from this beer smell wise is Pine-Sol. Can't taste like it smells...right? Think again. This Ale is over-powered by a very artificial lemon taste, with not much else present. It's like you soaked a bottle of water in a lemon Air-Wick overnight. I get no real wheat taste and very minimal hops. It's just taken over by this awful artificial lemon taste that is down right bad.

I wouldn't recommend this to anybody, unless they are a fanatic of sucking lemons or eating 3-4 boxes of lemonheads a night. Luckily I bought a varietly 6-pack and only had to suffer through two of these bastards. Two thumbs down.

1.71/5  rDev -45.5%

Poured from the bottle a creamy golden yellow with a fizzy white head that disapated quickly and left soapy lacing on the glass. Smell was overly lemony almost like a cleaner or pinsol. Taste was terrible light malt flavor didn't pick up any wheat and then came the lemons...way too much lemon that left u with a horrible lemon soap aftertaste. Mouthfeel for this beer might have been its best attribute creamy and soft with a fuller body than expected. Drnkability for me was nill. I tried to drink it let it warm up nothing.. Drain pour and will not be looking to have another.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)