Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-30-2009)

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Appearance: A very different looking, numbered, cage-corked bottle. Pours a brownish red. Decent head, some light white lacing.

Nose: Mild. A bit of wildness with vinous characteristics.

Mouthfeel: nicely carbonated. Easy on the tongue, sour on the tongue. Feels big, but balanced.

Taste: Wow. I wasnt expecting this from Sam Adams. I get some zinfandel, sour cherry, currants and woodiness immediately. Big taste followed by a little more sourness and a dry finish from the oak barrels. There is a gorgeous balance between the three main things going one here: sour, fruit and oak.

Amazing how well the 9% alcohol is hidden. Sam Adams has uncorked a surprising and delicious beer. I hope the rest of the barrel collection is this good. I will definitely be back to the brewery before this one sells out. Reminds me of Consecration a bit and honestly, if I had to pick between the two, I'd take this (never thought I'd say that!)

4.5/5  rDev +20%

$9.00 very cool "barrel bottle" purchased at the R&D brewery.

Looks very redish brown when poured, byt is a charming clear ruby when held to the light. One finger of off-white level foam.

Cherries and vanilla/oak mix in the aroma. Hints of alcohol. Bit of candy. Aroma improves in the glass.

Taste begins with generous fruit, cherries up front and a hint of apple in the back. Vanilla/oak follows next. Nicely mellow, while certainly not hoppy, the sweetness is pleasant but nowhere near cloying. Gentle alcohol warming but no burn.

Smooth mouthfeel with a bit of bubbly at the end of each sip.

Overall a very tasty treat of a wild ale, if not a particularly wild one.

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

750ml bottle -> Tulip glass

A - Blood red with a medium off-white head that dissipates quickly with minimal lacing.

S - Earthy, funky, dark fruits and some lactic sourness bringing up the rear, with some soft oak notes playing around throughout. Not overly complex, but very nice with a very solid delivery.

T - Funky sour caramel aroma that fades into dark fruits and toasty oak in the middle. The sourness and oak become more dominant troughout, rounding out a very lengthy finish. Aftertaste is sweet and oaky. Taste is much more complex than the aroma and is absolutely divine.

M - Medium-full body with lots of carbonation. Seems to leave a sorty of oily yest peasant consistency as it goes down. Very nice.

This may not be the best or most complex sour I've ever tasted. But as far as the price, I don't think a better bargain on a barrel aged sour exists anywhere else in the world. I will definitely be buying this stuff again in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

I got this quite awhile back from joepais. Not sure why it took me so long to try it, but thanks Joe!

a: This was a chill-hazed dark amber tinted chestnut color. It poured with a medium sized, lightly sticky head.

s: Fruit with hints of vinegar rather than vice versa which made for a nice change of pace. I found lightly musty apples and grapes with some fairly pronounced oaky aromas. There was also something candy-like under the funk.

t: The phrase Flanders-ish comes to mind. There is no palete crushing, heart burn inducing sourness, just a nice and refreshing underlying funk. Lots of fruit flavors in the form of grapes, raspberries, and apples. There was a lingering toasty oak with faint well incorporated alcohol.

m: Light and spritzy carbonation with a surprisingly moderate body given the abv.

o: I want to use the word approachable, but I don't mean it in a patronizing or dismissive sense. This balanced and deliciously quaffable. I'd love to have this again.

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my second foray into the, as I'm now finding, criminally underrated Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection. Is the Samuel Adams name on the bottle making people underrate these? Anyway, Stony Brook Red pours out a deep red color with a small head. The aroma reveals layers of tart cherry, oak, vanilla, and a bit of vinegary funk. The flavor profile is similar to a Flanders Oud Bruin, with the tart cherry, grape, and funk taking center stage here. The toasted oak comes through on the late finish, bringing along it's buddy vanilla for a great aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fantastic, it's highly carbonated and very dry. The drinkability is also great. Another winner from the Barrel Room Collection. The oak on the finish really pulls everything together for me, it's integrated so well. At nine bucks for a 750ml, this is a steal.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my very favorite Sam Adams. I just love it. It is a wonderful beer. I favor Flemish Red Sour Ale like Rodenbach and this is pretty close to that style. It is a tat more edgy than a Rodebach and is an incredible brew. It has a bit more alcohol (about 9%)than the Rodenbach (about 5%) but it is easy to drink and does not go right to your (my) head.
I bought about 1/2 dozen bottles at the Sam Adams brewery just before the summer and I made my way down there this afternoon as I have none left to drink.
They were out of stock and are not planning to make it anytime soon. I was so diasppointed. I was able to grab a couple bottles at the beer store on my way home but what am I going to do after? If you know where to find some in the Boston area, please let me know.

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)