Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-30-2009

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.
2.2/5  rDev -43.2%

I know I may be in the minority in this one, but this beer tastes like straight teriyaki sauce. It may just be the bottle I drank (I hope so) but the taste was just horrible. The coloring and mouthfeel is alright, but otherwise, avoid this at all costs. (253 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -40.8%

A: Very nice copper/ruby color with a moderate head.

S: Smell is of sour cherries.

T: Taste is strongly sour fruit. This is probably what they were striving for, but not my cup of tea. My fault for not carefully reading the description before I picked it up at the store.

MF: Crisp, but I was really forcing myself to drink it.

D: Very poor, but if you like this style, it is probably good. Again, no offense to SA, I wouldn't finish more than one glass. I used the rest of the bottle to baste a roast chicken (that came out pretty good).

Serving type: 22 oz. bottle (573 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a fairly deep crimson red color. Some minimal pink froth and lacing.

(S)- Quite an earthy oak profile to it. Subtle tart fruits, but mostly a dry earthy oak profile.

(T)- Kind of similar to the smell, but far more fruitier, still plenty of dry earthy oak but with fruit. Not much tartness; does get a touch medicinal as it warms.

(M)- Fruity, with heavy oaky earth. The tartness from the smell is not really present; kind of muted actually. Decent carbonation level.

(O)- This is ok, but a bit disappointing due to kind of a bland body overall. The fruit and oak is there, but just kind of muddled together. (679 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Picked this up when it first cam out in about Sept 2009 been letting it sit for a little while.

Even with some time on it this beer is not impressive or even that good. I would not waste my money on this particular beer again.

I can say that it appears waterdown coppery and the smell is not even there. The taste is like a flavorless medicial cough drop.

The feel is similar but harsh.

Maybe I am missing something but with some great sour beers out there this is not my first choice. (491 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Sweet, with oak notes, and a muddled finish. A bit of barnyard but no acidity or fruit to cut it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle based on other reviews, but I fought my way through a half glass and dumped the rest down the drain. (226 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

pour a deep amber with a finger of head, looks really nice!! Nose also, is very nice, cherries, oak and a hint of sour, not too much sour on the nose though...
taste is actually a bit disappointing. I have been wanting to try this one for a while. a little tart, but not too much, nice smooth oak, hint of cherries and hat is all. Seems like Boston just tried to dip a foot in the sour category and see what it was all about. This has a lot of potential, and so does the brewery in this style... that is obvious in the taste, but the stopped short to try harder to appease the masses so they could say, Hey this sour isnt bad... taste is meh. (642 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

I had been looking forward to trying the line of Sam Adams Barrel-Room beers, and after trying the Thirteenth Hour, I was eager to try another. I poured it into a tumbler.

A - Very nice hazel color, with a hint of dark red. A good inch to an inch and a half of head complimented the beer into making it look very presentable.

S - Once I got a whiff of the SBR, I immediately knew that there was a big tart fruit smell (just like the bottle says). It honestly took me aback at first, seeing as this was my first "sour" beer, but it wasn't too overpowering.

T- Here's when it hit me. I was definitely not expecting this wine-like resemblance to be so prevalent from the get go. And it didn't let up; I was hoping to become acquainted with the newer tastes, but I just couldn't get used to it. To me, the fruit aspect and the Kosmic Mother Funk (the hops used for the Barrel Room beers) in this beer were too overpowering.

M- One of the better aspects of this beer was the way it did feel. I was expecting a thicker feel to it, seeing as the New World has a thicker aspect to it, but it was very smooth. The perfect balance of the carbonation and other ingredients made it a very enjoyable feel, just not so much on the taste. No sticky residue was left either, which was a plus.

O- Overall I think this beer is, well, average. It might be because I'm new to the whole "sour" beer, or it may just not just float my boat. Will I buy this beer again? Probably not, for the $10 it cost me, I could pick up a stout or something more enjoyable to me. (1,548 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

To be perfectly honest this beer tastes like someone put some red wine, perhaps a Cabernet Sauvignon, in my glass with my beer. I did not like it overall though it actually tasted well with the Filet Mignon that I ate with it but I didn't like its overall sweetness and lack of character. (288 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours reddish-brown with a thin white head that fades to a slight ring. Aromas of tart berries, oak, cinnamon, red wine vinegar, and a touch of funk. A little muddy. Taste consists of cranberry, raspberry, and cherry, oak, vinegar, and light funky yeast. Much like the nose, the flavors are muddy, not clean. Wish this was either more sour, or more funky, but this in-between mode isn't great. Decent mouthfeel, medium bodied with good carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Decent beer, I suppose, and I applaud SA for taking a risk, but I won't be re-visiting it. (563 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Nice color and appearance. It tasted more like a barley wine but I could attribute that the the barrel aging. It wasnt what I expected it to be but it was a good beer. I was thining it would have more of a abbey style taste with a big sour punch but the punch was more of a oak aged flavor. The first sip brough to mind a real oaky wine flavor. i might try this again with some friends. I dont think it was meant to be served in a 14 oz. glass. A solid effort by sam, But be prepared it is real real boozy. (506 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees, allowed to freezer chill for approx 25 minutes before pouring
Thanks to ShogoKawada for the hook-up!
Shared with my friend Rich, who loves Sam Adams beers.

A ruddy brown colored liquid, with some nice ruby highlights. An easy pour produced an almost three-finger head of loose, off-white colored foam which has a slight pinkish tint to it. The recedes to leave a nice, surface covering, film. The lacing is good and sticky enough to stay around for abit.

This nose is kind of muddled. It's hard to pick out the pieces. I get hints of oak and brett funkiness. Light notes of cherries and other red fruits, especially cranberries. An over-all musty quality.

Big red fruit quality. Good hints of oak. Good brett funk.
Unfortunately, I think that the flavor comes across as very thin, at least to me, anyway. It's almost like cranberry juice, blended with a hint of cherry and something else, that's been stored in a barrel, inside a barn, for a long time. The mustiness still lies over everything.

This is light-bodied and has a high level of carbonation. It is very light and crisp.

The 9.00%abv is not really detected. The taste is good, but thin. Oddly, of the Barrel Room Collection, this is probably the flavor that I would like best (except for the mustiness). The thin-ness of it though, just kils it for me. (1,376 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

A- Reddish brown with an off-white heat the dissipates to a small cap

S- Cherry, wine-like as I get some oakiness in there too

T- Tart/sour cherry. I don't really get a whole lot else...

M- Medium bodied and the carbonation is moderate.

D- If I wanted sangria... seriously though, not bad, it just didn't impress me much. The 9.0 abv was well hidden. (354 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2009/2010 vintage. Split with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Still carries a decent carbonation. Creamy sizable off-white/beige head. Drops to a small cap and collar with hints of lacing. A super hazed brick red. Some darker maroons and browns as well.

Smell: Smells like cherry fruit leather. Powdery yeast and a slight layer of earthy funk. Mildly acetic bordering on straight vinegar with a solidndarknfruit sweetness. Almost jammy. Some musty basement as to be expected from the Cosmic Mother Funk base. some legit worn leather as well. Slightly sweet malt base. Some hints of caramel malt. Seriously though, it's a natural cherry fruit rollup.

Taste: Powdery yeast, super powdery. Very slightly tart with a big push toward straight vinegar. Cherry flesh. Pressed jammy fruit with a solid leather component. Slightly damp and musty with a building earthy finish. A touch of fake raspberry. Something like aspirin. Drinks like a fruit infused Cosmic Mother Funk. Lightly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and a moderate carbonation. Nice and clean.

Overall: Take it out before year 4.

I loved this fresh. Aged it's still delicious, but it loses something in the long run. The yeast dominates and hurts it a touch. (1,223 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Slightly sour cherry aroma with some earthy undertones and maybe a hint of vanilla.

Beautiful deep ruby red in color and perfectly clear albiet a bit dark. There was a slight tan head but it disappeared very quickly and provided no lacing.

Tart right up front, and a bit funky. I taste no hints of a barrel, but I get that it was wildly fermented. It transforms into something slightly sweet, with a nice malty finish. Moderate body, lip puckering, and a medium-low dose of carbonation. I probably wouldn't buy it again. Sad face. (532 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Discovered this on the shelf next to Rodenbach Grand Cru, and at $9/22.4oz, figured why not give it a go?

Pours a dark caramel brown with a healthy, creamy head. Aromas of bananas and light vanilla are dominated by...cherry throat lozenge?

Tart and sour flavors are on the lighter side. The taste, especially the aftertaste, has a medicinal, sweet-y, yes, throat lozenge quality. An interesting brew, and great to see another American brewer giving a swing at this style, but not something I'll be picking up again. (518 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -15.5%

Deep red-brown ale with a sudsy head. Aromas of cranberry, bread and spices. I can smell the oak barrel's influence as well. Tart berry and spices hit the palate first, followed by nutty whiskey and subtle vegetable flavors. The flavor is complex but a little underwhelming, this one's not as enjoyable as the barrel room stout. (328 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

I picked this up at Julios back in February.

A: Hazy copper color with a half finger of white head. Not the best looking beer we had this day.

S: Musty. Lots of oak with a touch of bret. The weird thing a few people picked up on was the smell of rust. I have never smelled anything like it in a beer before.

T: Oak right up front. It really did dominate. I did get a little bit of coconut though which I enjoyed. A touch of tartness in the back end.

M: Dry and well carbonated.

D: I will say it did hide the ABV well. The bottle itself was probably the best part of this beer. Really nice looking. It was easy to drink but I don't think I would get another bottle. (669 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -15%

Kind of tast like a wine'ish kinda beer , deffinatley can taste the alcohol but not over powering, light carbonation , easy to drink only thing I didn't like about it was the fact it didn't have as much of that beer taste than it did some sort of wine (251 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

Purchased at Sam Adams Brewery in Boston. Pours a hazy red, minimal head and almost nonexistent lacing. Strong Fruity aroma.

Full flavored, again strong a fruity on the pallet. A fine sipping beer, particularly on a cold winter night.

I enjoyed the beer but it isn't exactly my cup of tea. (293 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -13.7%

I struggled immensely with the cork on this one. With a loud pop the cork is finally wrestled out and an eerie dense fog creeps from the neck of the bottle and dissipates into the air around it. I poured very slowly as recommended. It pours significantly darker than I was expecting, a nice looking mahogany with a small off-white head. An abundant amount of carbonation bubbles race to the top the entire time it sits in my glass.

The nose is chock full of oak and tart fruit. Sweet berry plays nicely with a slight acidic bite, a nice earthy aroma and malty backbone. Very interesting and it seems as though there is quite a bit going on in this one.

The taste does not quite live up to the smell this beer emits. The Kosmic Mother Funk definitely plays a big role in the flavor profile of this beer - and that is not necessarily a good thing. I found that particular beer to be weak and lackluster and I am finding the same in pieces of this beer. The initial flavor is a lot of oak and a rush of tart cherry and citric acid. This gives way to alcohol, a mild sweetness and what I would like to consider and very faint malty backbone. The finish is extremely weak and almost water-like.

This is medium bodied and moderately carbonated.
Stony Brook Red is a good attempt by Sam Adams but leaves me wanting more from it. The nose is very good but the taste overall is weak on most accounts. The drinkability is fairly high on this one, if you would want to drink a lot of it that is. This one isn't bad by any means; it just doesn't do it for me. Not for $10. (1,567 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Consumed 1/15/14

Note: 2009 bottle

Appearance: Somewhere between medium amber and purple - pours with an off-white head, fades to a nice collar, with some wisps of a cap, leaves some nice streaks of lacing

Smell: Fruit, funk, and vinegar - definitely smells old, although I imagine it smelled similar when it was fresh - lots of funk, with yeast, damp cellar, and some wet, lactic acid - some musty tartness - some cherry flesh, and a lot of general weirdness - some earth and some sugary notes

Taste: Funky and more interesting than expected, but also very odd - lots of funk, with some wet, damp lactic sourness and some musty tartness - tons of vinegar - some old fruit, like old cherry flesh - a bit too much sweetness, but not really bad - some spiciness, with earth - some caramel grains - finishes with some booze, vinegar, and acetone

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nice carbonation despite the age of this bottle, smooth, kind of a messy finish

Overall: Yeast, vinegar, and sugar, together at last?

This deserves some credit for being decidedly funky. But the vinegar is a bit much, as is the sweetness. Regardless, it's interesting; apparently worth both trying and aging. (1,224 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

750ml corked and caged into a tulip.

A: A muddy rusty red and brown. Small tan head recedes to a light ring and floating froth. Some carbonation bubbles lingering up from the bottom.

S: Feint aroma of tart cherry and wood.

T: Surpsingly light. Flavors are of sweet cherry, some malty biscuit, and heavy oak in the finish. The tartness is very light, hardly present at all. Kinda a "lightweight" Flanders.

M: Medium body, low carbonation, smooth with a little dryness from the tart.

O: I'd call this "Flanders LIght" if i had to describe to to someone. Maybe an okay introduction to the style, but clearly not a standout. (630 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

A- pours a dark, non transparent copper color with a 3 finger head with fair creaminess.

S- pungent sour smell with hints of hoppy bitterness. Some sort of berry aroma, perhaps raspberries.

T- sour taste to match the aroma, but not overpowering. The berry taste rounds the beer out well with a slight hoppy finish. definite alcohol taste on the finish as well.

M- thicker than it should be. Quite wet as well.

D- overall a nice wild ale. A bit overpriced and sour for my tastes but quite good for the style. (512 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from from

A: Pours dark amber color with nice off white head. Tons of carbonation on the glass. Head does dissapate really fast.

S: The first smell is fruits. Lots of apples and plums maybe some dates. Very funky smell, typical of the style, but very nice.

T/M: Very robust flavors up front. The apple flavor really shows through and the plums is noticeable as well. Very wine style flaovrs, but also very nice flavors in the mouth.

D: Decent brew, but definitely not the style Sam Adams is known for, but its alright. Good fruit notes but not overly exciting. (573 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

1pt 9.4fl oz brown glass bottle with cork served into a Trappist Westvleteren goblet (small size variant) in high altitude Denver, CO. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice thickness, good cream lacing, and fair retention (especially for the ABV). Dark caramel copper colour.

Sm: Lambic-esque sour fruit ester hops, fermented raspberry, and light bacteria. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Lightly sour fermented raspberry fruit ester hops alongside bacteria over an unobtrusive simple barley foundation. It's simply built, but effectively so. The sourness is not overdone, as with many American takes on the style. The finish resolves to a nicely bright ester that does well at closing out the flavours. Well balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, matching the flavour, but a touch too thick for how simple it is.

Dr: High price, relatively high ABV, and good quality make this beer one to try but not to savor. I'd have it again, but I do wish the price was better. (979 characters)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)