Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-30-2009)

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

4.35/5  rDev +16%

A - Very dark red/brown. Looks like black tea. Nice two finger head. Color of the head is very close to tan.

S - Very sour smell. Tangerines, cranberry, raspberry, and grapes. Very aromatic.

T - Lots of barrel aging flavors. Not as sour as I was expecting. Chocolate, dark cherries, alcohol, wood, and green apples. Very sweet with a little bite of tart on the front.

M - Lots and lots of carbonation. Smooth transition from tart to sweet to warming.

O - Very unique and super complex. Every sip left me guessing what was next. Sometimes I forget that Sam Adams is a real brewery because of their commercial appeal, but this beer is pretty amazing.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Note: This beer has been improperly stored for at least five years. Temps reaching well over 90 degrees in the summers.

A - Poured gently into a tulip glass. The beer is a hazy orange brown with virtually no head. No lacing.

S - The aroma is actually quite nice. I really gives good insight into what to expect. Strong, but not overpowering acidic notes. A little sweet.

T - Given how long this had been sitting for, I was a little worried. Worries were all unfounded. The dominant flavor is something like brown sugar, but it's subdued and contrasted with a tartness that grows with each sip and/or as the beer warms. Lightly citric acid. There is also oak in the background. The 9% alcohol is barely present in terms of flavor.

M - Not too much here. Billed as full-bodied but it doesn't feel that way to me. More like medium. Mild heat/tingle of the alcohol on the finish is nice.

O - This is a nice refreshing beer! I was surprised that it held up for so long and I'm strongly considering picking up another just to see what it would be like fresh. If I do so I'll certainly update the review.

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

Picked this up when it first cam out in about Sept 2009 been letting it sit for a little while.

Even with some time on it this beer is not impressive or even that good. I would not waste my money on this particular beer again.

I can say that it appears waterdown coppery and the smell is not even there. The taste is like a flavorless medicial cough drop.

The feel is similar but harsh.

Maybe I am missing something but with some great sour beers out there this is not my first choice.

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%

I'll admit it -- I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams. I respect what they do, and recognize that they cleared a lot of trail for the American craft brew industry, but every time I drink one of their beers, I end up wishing they would take a little more risk. Their beers always end up on the safe side of interesting. So when my local shop told me they had a Sam Adams "Flanders Red", I was ready to take a pass.

However...

It was priced too low to blow off -- less than half the price of any other sour in the store. And the flip side of playing it safe is that Sam Adams has a high floor. At minimum, this beer won't suck, right? Only one way to find out.

A vigorous pour into a goblet produces a foamy, almond-colored head over a murky, mahogany and blood orange liquid. This quickly reduces to a thin head, leaving little lacing.

It smells like a sour. I'm also picking up cherries. And maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but now that I've written about the color, I smell almonds. This is supposed to be barrel-aged, but I'm no picking up any oak at all. As it warms, the cherry begins to take on a Ludens cough drop quality.

I don't catch any almond on the tongue. The cherry flavors are still abundant, however. And now I get a hint of the "toasted oak" promised on the label. Unfortunately, this just isn't sour enough. And I end up with a not entirely pleasant aftertaste.

If this had a more complex nose or more acid, I would probably be happy with the mouthfeel. But now I feel like being picky, so I'll say it: I wish it were more carbonated. On the other hand, it hides the 9% alcohol quite well.

I know I criticized Sam Adams for playing it too safe. With this beer, they show that they can color outside the lines just a little. It's pretty drinkable. I'm definitely going to buy some more, just to see how it ages. But for now, it's not going to replace any of my go-to sours.

EDIT: 2013-03-20
I keep finding this beer on the shelf at a price way too cheap to pass on, so I keep buying it and drinking it. It has grown on me considerably. It reminds me of before-the-best-after-date Dissident. I am nudging the taste and overall scores up a little.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Deep red almost brown color. It had a beige head that was about 3 fingers thick, and then went down to about 1 finger thick and it lasted a long time. No lacing.

Smell: Fruity and Spicy. Hints of cherry, citrus, hops, maybe pepper too.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium to full bodied. Taste fruity up front with cherry and citrus, some peppery and sweet after taste. Definatly can taste some alcohol.

Overall: Another great brew from Sam Adams! I would buy this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)