Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-30-2009)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
TychoNDC

03-10-2013 05:51:08 | More by TychoNDC
blakelive784

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

A- pours a dark, non transparent copper color with a 3 finger head with fair creaminess.

S- pungent sour smell with hints of hoppy bitterness. Some sort of berry aroma, perhaps raspberries.

T- sour taste to match the aroma, but not overpowering. The berry taste rounds the beer out well with a slight hoppy finish. definite alcohol taste on the finish as well.

M- thicker than it should be. Quite wet as well.

D- overall a nice wild ale. A bit overpriced and sour for my tastes but quite good for the style.

08-04-2011 02:38:19 | More by blakelive784

JSkone09

12-02-2012 20:25:50 | More by JSkone09
DaveAnderson

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%

I'll admit it -- I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams. I respect what they do, and recognize that they cleared a lot of trail for the American craft brew industry, but every time I drink one of their beers, I end up wishing they would take a little more risk. Their beers always end up on the safe side of interesting. So when my local shop told me they had a Sam Adams "Flanders Red", I was ready to take a pass.

However...

It was priced too low to blow off -- less than half the price of any other sour in the store. And the flip side of playing it safe is that Sam Adams has a high floor. At minimum, this beer won't suck, right? Only one way to find out.

A vigorous pour into a goblet produces a foamy, almond-colored head over a murky, mahogany and blood orange liquid. This quickly reduces to a thin head, leaving little lacing.

It smells like a sour. I'm also picking up cherries. And maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but now that I've written about the color, I smell almonds. This is supposed to be barrel-aged, but I'm no picking up any oak at all. As it warms, the cherry begins to take on a Ludens cough drop quality.

I don't catch any almond on the tongue. The cherry flavors are still abundant, however. And now I get a hint of the "toasted oak" promised on the label. Unfortunately, this just isn't sour enough. And I end up with a not entirely pleasant aftertaste.

If this had a more complex nose or more acid, I would probably be happy with the mouthfeel. But now I feel like being picky, so I'll say it: I wish it were more carbonated. On the other hand, it hides the 9% alcohol quite well.

I know I criticized Sam Adams for playing it too safe. With this beer, they show that they can color outside the lines just a little. It's pretty drinkable. I'm definitely going to buy some more, just to see how it ages. But for now, it's not going to replace any of my go-to sours.

EDIT: 2013-03-20
I keep finding this beer on the shelf at a price way too cheap to pass on, so I keep buying it and drinking it. It has grown on me considerably. It reminds me of before-the-best-after-date Dissident. I am nudging the taste and overall scores up a little.

12-12-2012 04:46:49 | More by DaveAnderson

04-22-2012 18:55:38 | More by tln13
crusian

Oregon

2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

pour a deep amber with a finger of head, looks really nice!! Nose also, is very nice, cherries, oak and a hint of sour, not too much sour on the nose though...
taste is actually a bit disappointing. I have been wanting to try this one for a while. a little tart, but not too much, nice smooth oak, hint of cherries and hat is all. Seems like Boston just tried to dip a foot in the sour category and see what it was all about. This has a lot of potential, and so does the brewery in this style... that is obvious in the taste, but the stopped short to try harder to appease the masses so they could say, Hey this sour isnt bad... taste is meh.

09-18-2010 16:32:19 | More by crusian
Mullinger1980

09-20-2012 02:18:41 | More by Mullinger1980
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

I've always been a little suspicious of Sam Adams beers.
It's a huge brewery--well, for the craft brew world. And what I've tasted of most SA beers has been OK, but nothing to do back flips over.

While I'm not performing backflips or breaking into song over the Stony Brook Red-- it is worthy of one's attention. In fact I think it's quite a delectable libation.

It pours a wonderful reddish amber hue topped by a frothy head that laces the glass.

The nose is a mixture of tart cherries, green apples, bucolic yeast with a measure of hops 'n' malt thrown in--

the flavor is rather cordial. Why it is certainly in a Belgian style of some sort-- maybe it's the wild cherry note, or the tart apple note, or the yeast or possibly the punctuation of that hops-- it's almost as if all they SA says or it seems is true.

This beer does have an intriguing flavor-- and my bottle emptied quite rapidly-- perhaps a bit too quickly.

The mouthfeel is grand-- it seems like it's a full or voluptuous blanket over my palate along with it's effervescence kept the finish alive and tantalizing my taste buds. The entire flavor experience was graced with enough tart and sweet to keep things balanced.

The overall flavor experience and general "round-up" of this beer is such that I think it is a rather pleasant and well worth the cost and effort to find this beer. Mind you- that it has its peculiarities and it is likely not for everyone-- but as labeled, this beer delivers everything that I expected it would plus more.

I like! I like!

05-08-2011 01:24:58 | More by gueuzeonhigh
SuperSpy

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Somewhat cloudy, dark ruby color. Big and quick to rise head. The head dies down after a minute but there is enough carbonation to keep a small foam cap afloat.

Yeasty, musky, tart aroma. Sour cherries, very light vanilla and oak.

Heavier bodied. Sour fruit, toast, a bit of vanilla and wood. Sweet banana and buttery in the finish.

Pretty good for a wild ale. Not exactly what you would expect to get from Belgium, but this is good in its own right.

06-02-2011 00:07:38 | More by SuperSpy
TrappistJohnMD

Mississippi

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours dark mahogany red with off-white head.

Smell is sour with hints of tart fruit and hints of worcheshire sauce.

Taste follows smell well but with a little less tart character. Not as sour as I expected and makes appearance more toward the finish. Good fruit flavors and hints of worcheshire sauce. Very complex.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Prickly carbonation.

Overall this was good. Not as tart as I would like to see.

10-12-2012 23:46:58 | More by TrappistJohnMD

n2pux

11-03-2012 02:02:43 | More by n2pux
boatshoes

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked this one up at Total Beverage on a recent trip to Denver. Had a small sample of this at the BBF but couldn't really remember the flavor profile and thought I'd give it another try.

Appearance- Pours a translucent medium copper brown with a surprising amount of carbonation initially. I get about two fingers of fizzy tan head with some carbonation beading up through the body of the beer. However, it dies back fairly quickly to a nearly nonexistent ring around the edge of the beer. No lacing whatsoever and ultimately ends up looking pretty decent for the style.

Smell- Very vinous smelling. Lots of oak as well. To add to the list of surprises, also smells much more tart than I was expecting out of Sam Adams. A sharp lactic bite that really comes across on the nose and smells of tart cherries and a bit of dark fruit. Fairly complex and pleasing nose.

Taste- Yet another surprise. The tartness is much much more muted than in the nose, and only comes across slightly and late in the finish. The vinous notes from the nose are very prominent, and it reminds me a bit of a muted version of the regular Rodenbach in that regard. An interesting infusion of oak mixes in with the wine-like flavors and makes it fairly complex. However, I was disappointed a bit not only by the lack of tartness, but by a sweetness which actually creeps into the beer for me as I finish my pint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, with even a touch extra carbonation initially. However, too sweet and not enough tartness for the style to make me really want to drink a lot of this.

Overall, a solid effort for Sam Adams on an adventurous style. Worth a shot but falls short of greatness.

Overall,

12-18-2009 01:17:55 | More by boatshoes
JoeAmerican77

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

A battle with the cork leads to a convincing auburn beauty with two fingers of head. Head runs quickly and laces a little...

Grape juice and tannins on the nose, good smell yet semi shallow

Bitter/sour spots hit the tongue immediately, grape skins and alcohol really do give this a vinous flavor. Taste more like a lambic directed brew than any red I've ever had (In hindsight I think they're going for a Flander's Red... my bad so it taste just like it should). Not that theres a complaint there. As it warms some yeast characteristics come to the dance. My favorite flavor of the barrel room collection so far

Nice and heavy bodied, chilled well it still hangs on the cheeks for a few seconds after swallowed

I'd hit a steak with this bad boy, like a cab sav of the beer world. Hats of to SA I'm impressed

08-19-2011 02:01:10 | More by JoeAmerican77

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

10-28-2013 22:26:12 | More by jdhasse
brett606

07-04-2013 06:13:36 | More by brett606
Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)