2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

(Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,050 | Reviews: 1,448 | Show All Ratings:
nrpellegrini

Maryland

Are you serious? A-? This is a joke...

Appearance - thin yellow water with a flimsy carbonated head that disappeared as fast as you can say 'Bobs your uncle!"

Smell - stale corona, or urine.. depending on the weather

Taste - Miller lite, but id rather have that for the pice

Mouthfeel - just plain horrible, theres nothing there

Drinkability - It was awful just like the rating I gave this beer, it was like carbonated water.. but its my fault because I didn't use that awesome glass in the commercial with the laser doop de doo line in the bottom that brings out all the secret hidden flavors in this bad beer.

02-13-2010 16:19:09 | More by nrpellegrini
DJRoswell

Maryland

1.13/5  rDev -70.1%

I had this at a local Italian pizza shop.

This was very weak beer. The hops were barely there. It reminded me of Budweiser with a bitter blah-ness. It was just awful. I tried to like this beer. But Sam Adams is just putting names on stuff to make the beers sound like they may taste good. They failed here.

You want a good pilsner? Drink a Warsteiner.

Cheers!

03-08-2010 23:32:57 | More by DJRoswell
Overlord

1.63/5  rDev -56.9%

I am utterly shocked and perplexed by the beeradvocate.com score for this beer. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but I do really enjoy their hallertauer pilsener. That gave me hope for this brew. Alas, this beer is wretched.

Pours a light golden color. Big white foam head. I was perhaps expecting less yellow, more gold.

Smells like crisp, chemical laden bread, some cleaning solvents that perhaps double as noble-esque hops, and a weird mineral pungency.

Taste is really nasty. The yeast and chemical/solvent background make this utterly unpalatable. A pilsener, in my mind, should be "clean," crisp, offer some mineral zest with a sharp, tangy yeast/break background. This is just unpleasantly jumbled and ... I must throw that word out there again ... chemical flavored.

AVoid.

03-15-2010 04:02:27 | More by Overlord
GalenM

1.63/5  rDev -56.9%

I bought this after hearing my uncle rave about it. I won't be trusting his beer advice again.

I should first disclose that I have had very few Sam Adams beers that I had much liking for, nor have I ever been fond of pilsners, but I think I gave this a fair shake.

Pours a rather unimpressive yellow, with next to no head into a 19oz. pilsner glass. Aroma is very faint hops and a sort of chemically smell I sometimes find in beers I subsequently dislike.

The taste is initially sharply hoppy, though very one dimensionally so, followed by a weak, watery flavor not unlike, if I remember correctly, yellow macro brews. This is further followed by a nasty chemically aftertaste that doesn't appear to go away. There is not much else to say about it, other than that I have a tight beer budget, and $9 for a six pack of this is a big waste of it.

05-03-2010 22:54:52 | More by GalenM
Brunite

1.83/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Serving: Bottle with a BB date of 5/11.. Poured into a Pilsner style glass for an authentic test.

Appearance: Light straw with a snow white cap. It poured well and maintained a reasonable head.

Smell: First whiff gave some promise. Nice crisp hoppiness at the outset. Just what I was expecting. Then...strangely...the aroma almost disappeared!

Taste: Wow! What a disappointment. Very watered down tasting. Like dishwater. I really tried to get something here. Nope...just bland.

Mouthfeel: Less than average. Watery. No hop bitterness to speak of.

Drinkability: Very poor. I had a hard time with this one. Even my wife did not like it. She felt it worse than a Miller Lite! I dumped this and went to another brew to gain some enjoyment for this session.

Overall: I went into this very open minded. I have not had much from Sam Adams that I care for. But given the availability, ratings, and price of this one...I really wanted it to become my "go to" Pilsner. No way. I even tried this 3 different times to really be sure. This stuff is bad. I'll be giving the last 3 away.

01-24-2011 21:02:45 | More by Brunite
ric4003

Indiana

1.88/5  rDev -50.3%

Wow, I just can't get past the horrible, long-lasting aftertaste. Even my wife who only drinks pilsners had a hard time even finishing one. Looking forward to Fall so I can try another seasonal brew from Samuel Adams. This Spring selection misses the mark IMO.

02-24-2010 18:34:08 | More by ric4003
williepep

1.9/5  rDev -49.7%

I was very disappointed with this beer. I was expecting something comparable to an Urquell; instead it was nothing more than a typical American pilsener-lager, along the lines of a Budweiser or Miller. There was very little in the nose except for some citrusy hops. One would think it would have quite an aroma considering they put five different hops in it. (Actually, I don't know why anyone would want to put so many different varieties in unless it's just a gimmick, which I suspect it is.) The appearance was rather pallid, though it had a good head. The mouth feel was extremely light, and the taste was hardly there, with very little malt to speak of. Though it was smooth, there really was no body, no smell, and no taste. I expected better from Sam Adams, but I guess this is what happens when a brewery starts to get too big.

03-18-2011 22:46:45 | More by williepep
KarlosT

1.93/5  rDev -48.9%

Wow. I did not like this beer. And I wish I had taken the bartender up on his offer of a taste before buying a pint (on tap). When I think of others actually liking this beer, I recall the "paper" taste test as a kid when learning about genetics. Some found the paper tasted terrible, and others found it tasted like paper. For this beer, I'm in the former category.

Appearance and smell were ok.

But the taste ... all I could taste was very strong metalic flavors. Didn't notice any hops or malt flavors associated w/ this beer.

Could not finish the beer. Had to give it to someone else at the table (who found this beer to be ok).

Sorry Sam. Big fan of your base Boston lager. But I will avoid this beer in the future.

12-20-2011 22:52:33 | More by KarlosT
tlazaroff

A: Pale yellow straw color with a white head. Completely clear with visible carbonation. Surprisingly, I see a few alcohol feet.
S: Bread, some sweetness, no hop character. Smells like a typical adjunct American Lager. Not offensive, but bordering on bad.
T: A little bitterness, mostly I get grain and vegetal flavors. For a beer brewed with all five noble hops, you wonder where they are in here.
M: Alright mouthfeel. Crisp, light bodied, a bit of a dry finish, moderate carbonation.
D: Due to the lackluster quality of this beer, I have to give it a low drinkability.

03-25-2011 23:41:35 | More by tlazaroff
velkyal

2.03/5  rDev -46.3%

the beer pours a golden straw colour and is topped with a fluffy white head, so far so good. As ever I was using my Lovibond's half pint glass because it is the perfect size for American beer bottles. Straight from the fridge, the beer smells of lemons, grass and a subtle spiciness, however, as it warms up it begins to smell of a brewery - you know that boiling wort smell. Taste wise, it is very grainy, with a kind of toasty background and a weird soapiness going on (not helped by the smell of lemons), after a while it just becomes dull, almost as though something is not right, once again I am disappointed by an American Pilsner (a contradiction in terms as Plzen is in the Czech Republic).

06-04-2010 18:01:20 | More by velkyal
Auracom

2.13/5  rDev -43.7%

2-3 oz. tasting from a 12 oz. bottle in an Abita tulip glass on March 31st, 2011.

A - Pours a pale, light golden coloring with a one-finger white head. Really not much retention (just a few bubbles stick around) with average-looking lacing.

S - Uh, pretty awful. I get a slight hop aroma but characterizing it as citrusy, piney, or having any of the standard aromas is a huge stretch. In a bizarre sort of way it reminded me of the scent a nursing home, which is pretty much as bad as it gets in my book.

T - Better than the smell but not enough so to atone for it. Very relaxed flavors with slight lemon or orange citrus and a hop bitterness. Really nothing more going on here.

M - Pretty poor as well, there is hardly any body to it at all. Watery feel. Carbonation was a big letdown... I was hoping it to at least feel crisp but it was way undercarbonated. Considering the style and the seasonal nature of it I expected more of this.

D - Well I had poured myself about 5 oz. and after 2 or 3 drinks gave the rest to my friend. This is unbelievably overrated. I guess I can appreciate the present hop character in the taste but otherwise it's far too reminiscent of standard adjunct lagers. Won't be revisiting this one.

04-01-2011 16:51:31 | More by Auracom
quasimoto

2.15/5  rDev -43.1%

What can I say that I haven't already said with the numbers. It looks pretty, and then takes a turn for the worse. The flavor starts slightly bready and the hop flavor gives it a muddy vinous twist. As the beer warms it morphs in a chemical dance of solvents and cardboard. I don't think I will ever order another one. I hope and pray that the bottles are a better solution. I mean I love boston lager. That is my go to everyday beer. But this one missed the mark. I blame the keg. Stupid caustics. I hates em.

02-03-2010 23:19:29 | More by quasimoto
jobcrackerbah

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

A: Clear golden hue with thin patches of bubbles here and there. The head dies down after initial pour.

S: The aroma is neither offensive nor pleasant. I'm picking up spicy medicinal hops intermingled faint honey and malt.

T: The bittering hops slightly resemble heineken. I hate heineken. I do enjoy the clean sweet malt used but it almost is completely covered up by the off putting hops.

M/D: Slight carbonation and quite thin. I don't care for this beer at all. I drink some BMC with certain company, but not heineken. Never heineken.

I don't have much experience with the style but I did try reality czeck and I loved that beer.

02-10-2011 04:30:38 | More by jobcrackerbah
schatzicat

Montana

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

my cousin turned me on to this.it took a year to try it.

served in an english pint glass chilled.

appearance: light gold medium high carbonation

aroma: light hops and a typical lager

mouthfeel: high carbonation and the promised hop are missing in action

finish: an aftertaste that has low to no malt and again no hops

overall: I would not try this again,maybe it is because i am not a lager fanatic

03-26-2011 01:23:24 | More by schatzicat
angelogarcia3

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%

After hearing so much about this beer and everywhere I went the beer ran out just when I ordered it. It was to my surprise that this beer disappointing in every respect. Considering I am a stout and porter drinker it should not be surprising. This pilsner style beer has a hazy color and a mild ale aroma. As for the flavor it was disappointingly light in body, flavor, and mouthfeel. Will stick with the porters and stouts next time.

05-12-2011 23:27:40 | More by angelogarcia3
charlzm

2.42/5  rDev -36%

Consumed May 28th, 2010 at Angel's Restaurant, Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Beer is an exceptionally clear and pale lemon yellow. Plenty of active carbonation throughout the consumption of the pint. The head = one finger of extremely fine white foam.

Aroma is, as with almost all Samuel Adams beers, soapy. Blecch.

There is almost no flavor. Really. After a couple of sips, I got a husky, slightly sweet and altogether proper (though puny) pilsener malt character. A very slight pepperiness follows. A second or two after swallowing, a thin, aspirin-like bitterness emerges. Maltier and more bitter as it warms. It's not an improvement.

Mouthfeel - nothing of note.

Not a fan of this one; I didn't even finish one pint.

06-05-2010 05:09:22 | More by charlzm
Portertime

2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

I came into this beer with good expectations. I usually like Sam Adams products. Poured a clear straw yellow with minimal head. Smell was of faint hops. The taste was muted with the finish falling flat. I wanted more complexity and it just wasn't there. It was fairly drinkable and probably a favorite for anyone who wants a mild beer that is relatively easy to pound.

01-27-2010 05:38:35 | More by Portertime
tchenery

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance is great. It has a nice light pilsener color to it with a substantial pillowy head.

It smells very pilsener-esque. Very earthy and snappy, slightly watery like a pilsener does. It smells like your sniffing hops (homebrewers know...).

Taste is upfront bready. It has a weird hop tang to it, but it doesn't come up and slap you in the face like you want it to. It has a definite toasty/doughy loaf flavor to it. Skunky like a pilsener, but in a bad way.

Mouthfeel is ok. It's a bit boring. I would prefer more lift on this beer and more of a snap.

Drinkable I guess, but it doesn't taste that good.

02-04-2011 00:08:37 | More by tchenery
Jinholic

Arizona

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle poured into my 16 ounce pilsener glass.

Appearance - Clear gold in color almost a half finger head but it faded out too fast.

Smell - Grains and hops not much to the smell on this one very weak.

Taste - grainy notes and hops, finishes clean.

Mouthfeel - I feel this beer fails with its texture its too rough in the mouth but I'll give it that its crisp.

Overall - An okay beer for the summer not one I'd get all the time though.

03-23-2011 03:30:53 | More by Jinholic
GoalieRon33

2.58/5  rDev -31.7%

A- Light golden yellowish....somewhat cloudy, mostly clear though. White head.

S- Not good. Smelled the hops, but they didn't seem very pleasent. Had the aroma of fresh hop pellets before being added to a beer. Hint of citrus.

T- Had a slightly sour twinge to it. Not as bitter as I thought it might be, but had a very organic, "leafy" taste

M- Grainy and thick, but decently smooth. Mouthfeel appropriate for style

D- Not a favorite of mine. Didn't think the hops were well balanced. Possibly added to the wort at the wrong time during brewing. I miss the white ale, and hope Sam brings it back next spring instead of Noble Pils

01-18-2010 18:52:54 | More by GoalieRon33
Chrisco88

Colorado

2.65/5  rDev -29.9%

Appearance: Yellow/gold with a small white head.

Aroma: Very minimal aroma, light floral hop notes.

Taste: A bit watery, very light and goes down easy. The grassy aftertaste is a turn-off.

Palate: Blah, very bland and a bit grainy.

Overall: Meh, easy to drink but nothing special in any department, wish the hop flavors weren't so lingering.

01-30-2010 22:32:45 | More by Chrisco88
smithza9

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

I am a HUGE Sam Adams fan and this was an utter disappointment. It smells good and makes me think of spring, but when I tasted it I did not get that feeling. Its much lighter in color than I expected and not as sweet. The mouthfeel is not as good as other Sam Adams beers and the drinkability is much less. I recommend most Sam Adams beers, but not this one.

Cheers!

03-15-2010 20:20:36 | More by smithza9
ejimhof

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

I was anxious to try this beer after reading all the forum discussions about it. I guess I was expecting more from this beer but I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped. The hops seem to overwhelm the taste and this beer is nothing like any pilsner I have ever had. I will try it again but for now it is a "C" grade for me.

04-02-2010 04:30:26 | More by ejimhof
Thickfreakness

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

A- Nice golden hue... head didn't last long, but stuck to the sides of the tulip glass rather nicely.

S- Smells like wet hay, like a grassy compost pile. reminds me of when I used to landscape... A few sweet hints, honey and clover...

T- Very grassy... alot of different hops flavors almost seem to be competing instead of meshing together. The finish is bitter sweet... not really digging this that much.

M- Nice carbination... fresh bitter really lingers, but gets sweet at the end.

D- Probably better after mowing the lawn than sitting next to the fire place... I was really into when I bought it... not that impressed, but I'll have to try this one again.

02-09-2011 04:54:32 | More by Thickfreakness
chaunur

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

I had a glass of this while visiting the Boston Brewery and loved it. So when I returned home I went out and bought 12, mistake.

The beer pours nicely, clear golden straw colored with a pretty typical 1" fizzy head which disappeard in a flash. Mildly aromatic, floral, citrus notes, was expecting more. The aroma was just slightly "off".

I read in another review that it tasted like stale Corona, Wow that pegged it. I did like the nice dry finish but that isn't enough to save the experience

As a side note I originally tried this beer on a tour of the Brewery and it hadn't been released yet and when it showed up on the shelf in my local store I was really looking forward to the experience. I was truly disappointed in its flavor. I thought maybe I just had gotten a bad lot, so I deceided to try it again last week and purchased another batch. Same results.

05-01-2011 13:20:02 | More by chaunur
Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)