Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

(Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a clear, amber tinged, yellow with a small amount of head that fades very quickly.

This beer has feint scent of hops and something citrusy.

Flavor wise its much more of the same, nothing complex, but definitely heavily composed of hops, did not find much malt at all.

This beer is very light bodied and has a decent amount of carbonation, its definitely a session beer. Has a crispness to it,very drinkable, but nothing special.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

A. looks like a standard straw yellow carbonated beer. light fluffy head and decent lacing. nothing special

S. hoppy, floral, sweet smell.

T. now i can taste the hops. very mellow on the tongue. almost a light Pale Ale. kinda sweet but refreshing.

M. carbonation isnt overbearing. smooth. light. it is January and makes me feel like May, it's that refreshing

D. i could drink this at a party all night or just hang out with my girl and BBQ steak and have 2. maybe in May

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear yellow with a minor head that bids adieu quickly.

Mouthfeel is light, flavor is hops, hops and more hops. Not that this is a bad thing but it seems rather one dimensional to me. I think a bit more malt backbone would help to balance this beer a bit. I can enjoy a couple of bottles and then I have to move on to something else.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

I found it to be better on tap than in a bottle. Drinks like an IPL if such a thing existed.

A - Straw yellow. Clean white head with a fine bubble consistency. It pours high and sits low, but what's left holds up with average retention and lays down a nice lace.

S - Clean fresh hop aroma: herbal, a touch floral, dry, earthy.

T - Balanced towards hops by a steady hand. Fresh hops up front, mirroring the nose. Tarragon with some parsley and rosemary. Soft malt canvas is enough to hold things together but light enough to keep the modest hop flavors front and center. Touch of lager-appropriate roasted cauliflower in the finish. Overall the flavors are clean and fairly simple, but pleasing and well developed.

M - Crisp with a light body. Dry finish.

D - Light and refreshing. Hopier than your average session beer, but that could even add to the drinkability on some palates.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - Golden, no head, light lacing. Like most American Pilsners and Lagers

S - Nice English hops up front, lemon and lime citrus and a sweet, almost oak like sugar

T - Lemon lime like hops, and a very nice bitter sweet finish. A touch of crystal malt

M - Light and carbonated, with an enjoyable bitter through and through

D - This is nice and drinkable but not something you can pound. It is actually an excellent beer. Weird that I m saying that since Sam Adams isn't very good in my opinion

Final thought - Think spring while drinking this beer and if you like to kick back on a nice day, try this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Pours an almost-clear golden-yellow color with a medium-small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is hoppy and grassy. There are also some citrus aromas as well. Taste is more citrus hop-forward than I expected, which is never a bad thing. I also get strong grassy and floral flavors. Finishes with nice lemon crispness. I'm not to big on Pilsners, but this definitely has to be one of my favs for the style. Mouthfeel is very dry and cleanly crisp. Drinkability is VERY high...make's me look forward to warmer weather.

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

A_Pours a golden hue with a lovely rocky head. Retention is awesome as the cap lasts till the end.

S_Nice aroma of noble grassy hops.

T_Upfront hit of wheat, follwed with a vegetable hop aroma. Mildly sweet with a very fresh vegetative hop bitterness. Nice dry finish

M_Light bodied with an aggressive carbonation. Perfect for the style.

D_An excellent American Pilsener. Well done.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

This is really good on tap. Pours yellow and a slight bit of foam. Laces well. Smell is a bit too yeasty for me; not a fan. Taste is nice and a very crisp taste. Just seemed very refreshing. It is light bodied and smooth. No issues kicking back this one. It is more sessionable than other BBC types.

I was surprised as to how much I likede this. I find this waaay better on tap (but you can say that about a ton of beers).

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a clear straw yellow with a fizzy white head. Crystal clear. Definitely has a big grassy/hoppy presence in the nose. Some grainy malt aromas come through as well. Very appealing aroma and pretty spot on for the style. Flavor follows the nose and has a clean dry, hoppy finish. Light body with a fizzy feeling on the tongue. Extremely drinkable at only 4.9% ABV. I could polish off a six pack no problem in an evening.

Sam hit the nail right on the head with this one. Hands down my favorite offering as of this date. Excellent brew.

Pours a pale yellow color when held to the the light. Nice fluffy white head that has a good amount of stick. Nice clarity.

Smells like a crisp clean lager with a moderate hop presence.

Very light and crisp tasting just like a pilsner should be. Hops provide a nice bite on the front end, but this one finishes smooth and clean.

Light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Great drinkability. This one is definitely a true session beer.

Morey's Bottom Line: This is no Prima Pils, but it's pretty darn good none the less. A solid example of the style.

Not my favorite style of beer, but not bad. Crisp with slight bitterness that doesn't wear you out. Lacks a malt presence to me. Pours clean and looks almost clear compared to what I usually drink. Very refreshing and goes down fairly easy. A great post-mowing the yard or hot afternoon beer.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

I don't like Pilsner; but I like this one. Its now reaching 80 degrees every day in Southern California so I've had to grab something crisp and I thought I'd give this a try. It really is just a showcase for the hops, having made use of all five 'noble' varieties. Instantly reminds me of Sam Adams' Boston Lager but with a lot less malt character. I was really impressed by the mouthfeel on this beer, not thin or over carbonated, which is my biggest complaint about most pilsner, but still quite refreshing. If you're looking for something to please everyone that is still of high enough quality for beer snobs like us to enjoy, this would be a good choice.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

sam adams noble pils

a 4-4.5 clear golden, 1+ finger head, impressive cap and lacing for a pilsner. carbonation looks to be of good quality.

s 4-4.5 wow i can definitely smell the kinship, the common yeastline, between this and the boston lager. is it really the yeast that's doing it? there's grassy hop, biscuity malt (makes me think of marris otter), and that certain bready quality that boston lager has. if i had a wish it would be for a little more grassy hop aroma. a slight warming brings out some more of this ... yumm.

t 4-4.5 truly follows the smell, and also reminds me of summerfest in the taste department, but with less of the grassy buildup.

m 3.5-4.5 as often happens, the look forshadows the mouthfeel. this is light-medium, with excellent carbonation and a nice slickness. could benefit from more slickness. subsequent bottles are seeming more watery for some reason.

d 4-4.5 not since lagunitas pilsner (which i have yet to retry after that one happy but perhaps too generously viewed bottle) have i enjoyed an example of this style so thoroughly. if these scores manage to hold after a few more bottles, we're talking permanent repertoire beer here ... if only it were an all-year round release. damn, here's to hoping the rest of the 6-pack doesn't go down quite this well(?)

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my favorite Pilsner glass.

A - clear pale & golden.one inch white fluffy head, left some decent lacing on the glass. It looked so clean & clear...

S - a bit hoppy for a pilsner. There are also some citrus notes.

t- clean & hoppy with somecitrus...a little spice at the end..

M - Light body with high carbonation. A smooth drinker,very crisp& refreshing.

D - The drinkability is high. Very refreshing & clean. Crisp. Would be nice on a hot day, after mowing the lawn....

....gonna head to the fridge and grab another!Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a a golden honey in color with a one finger white creamy head. It smells amazing for a pilsner. I've never gotten so much hops in the nose before. It honestly smells like it could be a pale ale. Aside from the hoppyness it also has a nice honey like sweetness to it with cloves to finish it out. The flavor is pretty mild and solid for a pilsner. It is light and is like a light honey lager. It kind of reminds me of a couple Dortmunders I've had, just a little lighter in color. It drinks pretty light but has a better feel than most. I kind of wish the honey would follow into the aftertaste. This beer is very drinkable. If I had to, I could drink it all day. I'd say that it's like a poor man's My Antonia. Pretty good beer from Sam Adams.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

A: Got it on tap at Wolf's 1-11, where it was served in a standard pint glass. Body is clear, light-golden/yellow with a half-finger white head. Surprising lack of visible bubbles/carbonation. Leaves some lace behind.

S: Focus is on florally, perfumy hops, but there's also a touch of basic sweetness.

T: Light malt - both grainy and a touch of sweetness - up front, followed by florally hops. Finishes with more sweetness and less crisp dryness than I remember from last year.

M: Body is light-to-medium in heft, carbonation levels seemed a touch low.

D: Very good. Two pints went down quickly.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

i purchased a case of it this morning to celebrate West chester university snow day. i have always been a fan of all sam adams products. didnt know what to expect with noble pils though. i read all of your reviews before i pulled the trigger on this pilsner. its a perfect reminder that spring is around to corner.

A:clean golden look with a thick hoopy head that looks fantastic

S: smells piney and herby. reminds me of a garden smell. very earthy. ya know

T: refreshing taste. not very spicy like i thought it would be. just fresh hoppy taste.

M: crisp in the mouth. has an after taste of lots of hops

D: i could drink it all day. a great beer for the spring time and summer.

Good Work Sam Adams!

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pilsner flute. Dense white head formed and champagne like bubbles dancing up through the glass. Excellent head retention. Very clear yellow gold color.

Spicy aroma of noble hops with faint faint faint malt. Waited about a minute for the head to slightly subside before taking a very large gulp.

Very crisp and clean mouthfeel with a slightly bitter finish that lingers for about 20 seconds. Spicy noble hop in the middle. I'm looking for a tiny bit of malt but can barely find it. I would ask for just a red cunt hair more body if I had to change one thing.

I could drink a six pack of this and maybe more if I had to mow a football field in July. The epitome of refreshing with just enough flavor. I think it's less hoppy and slightly thinner than last years version, but still yummy.

This should be a year round offering from Sam Adams!

Drinkable to the extreme.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

$2.99 22oz bottle from the bodega. BB May notch.

Carlsberg pils glass. A touch dirty now that I look at it.

Average stereotypical golden amber beer. Lathery white head. Ugly scribble lace.

Smells intensely green & peppery. Green tea & a tiny bit of rind. Biscuity. Bright.

Taste is upfront with dry grain & irony spinach. Slight dank & pine. Subtly sweet cracker finish. Wow, nice & easy to associate flavors. No big complexity & yet so fulfilling.

Decent carbonation. Frothy. Constant. Plush. Alcohol is upfront.

Not much to say, it's a simply effective beer. A bit shocked.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle into a Perfect Pint glass.

A: Quick white head dissipates pretty rapidly into a slight ring around the rim, with some patchy bits in the middle. Nice carbonation through the clear, just-golden body. Just a bit of fine webbing.

S: I can smell some spicy hops from a foot away--quite nice, really. Otherwise, a mild, malty body backs up the hopping. Simple, but good, and very reminiscent of German all-malt lagers, to me.

T: Tastes slightly sweet, actually...even a bit too sweet for the style. The hops are nice, but subdued. For a beer that boasts of its Noble Hops presence, they're a bit muted. This suits the style, but I'd have liked a bit more lemony, peppery zip, and perhaps some more bittering, too.

M: Spot-on, well-carbonated, easy-drinking brew.

D: Great drinking beer for an excellent price.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

I had mixed feelings about the Noble Pils before it even came out, as I had always enjoyed the White Ale that Sam Adams had previously marketed as its spring seasonal. Basically, I feel like the White Ale should have remained the spring beer offering, whilst this beer should have become a full time staple of the Sam Adams line-up. :)

What I love most about this beer is how, compared to the other Sam seasonal beers, I don't get tired of it by its seasons end. Sam Summer i'm done with by mid June; I don't want anymore lemon-zest in my diet. OctoberFest, while good, just isn't on par with it's more authentic Munich counterparts. And i've run my course with the Winter Lager by Christmas...

But the Noble Pils doesn't get old for me. Great taste, and easy as hell to drink! :) I've found myself drinking enough of these on many an occasion to hand my car keys over to my bartender. Very bubbly (which I enjoy), and a very clean, refreshing taste. Only slightly citrusy, very balanced with the light hops taste. Indeed, i'll be very sad to see this one go again in a few months....

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: bright amber. Little to no lacing. A lot of activity in the way of bubbles. It's fun to watch.

Smell: I don't get much in the way of smell. I detect a slight citrus smell, which seems to be in line with many of the other reviewers It may be because of my allergies though I'm not going to put much weight into that.

Taste: hoppy, citrusy taste. It's fun. I wish it was slightly later in the year. I don't normally associate this beer with cold weather. It takes me to spring. I look out the window and see a foot or two of snow. Back to reality, I suppose.

Mouthfeel: one word keeps coming to mind and that's crisp. It feels crisp. It's nice. Finishes clean.

Drinkability: this is best thing about this beer. I finish a sip and am ready for another. In fact, I kind of feel like I should be outside right now. Grilling. Damn.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Bright golden glow with a modest head.
Not much going on in the smell department, just the promise of a hoppy beer up ahead.
Very nice, delicate pilsner taste with a definite hops bite. Very enjoyable. Too bad they don't make this one a mainstay instead of a seasonal.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

This is probably the most beautiful beer I have ever poured into a glass!

I love the brilliantly white foamy two finger head. The beer underneath is a perfectly clear golden color.

It looks like something right out of a beer commercial, only better.

The taste is mildly aggressive upfront hops, but not over done. It has a "snappy" feel on the tongue as it goes down and finishes dry and hoppy.

This is the most clean looking and feeling beer I remember drinking. It is quite drinkable as a session beer.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Served on tap in a pilsner glass. Light yellow body with a small head and minor lacing. Subtle aroma of bready malt and light hops. Good flavors following the aroma. A slight bitter hop after taste that finishes well.

Crisp mouthfeel with about the right amount of carbonation. Very drinkable. Solid brew.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)