Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

(Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a clear, slightly orange amber with an average white head. Fortunately, the appearance is the weakest point of this beer - the crisp, malty, orangy aroma promises an above-average pilsner. Flavor is surprisingly rich, better than any other pils I have tried. It is malty with undertones of sour orange and hoppy evergreen and just a hint of spice. Texture is edgy and lively. Noble indeed!

04-12-2010 00:21:31 | More by Cyberkedi
youradhere

Arkansas

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

A- dense thick white head that lingers, adds a creamy appearance to a creamy beer. Sits atop a light golden body, very inviting.

S- smells almost citrusy with a lil bit of hop skunk, definately not a defect, rather an attribute of a heavily hopped beer.

T- pretty damn good, light flavor, slight sulfur, hop bitterness followed by slight hop flavor (heavy hop flavor for a pils).

M- like I said, it is creamy and slick. Not the greatest IMHO but nothing to be held against it either.

D- a massively flavored pils, and had I not just finished a meal I might have been able to quaff another 20 oz glass.

04-11-2010 05:43:28 | More by youradhere
SirSaranac

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

I'll keep this short and sweet. Tried this brew for the first time recently, and was pleasantly surprised... decided to grab a 6 pack and ponder life.

Pours a crystal clear pissy yellow.... 1 finger head disappears relatively quickly. Scented of citrusy hops... very pleasant. These go down smoothly.... rather sweet... a refreshing summer pilsener, yet much more hoppy than say Prima Pils. Highly drinkable.... taste is far from overwhelming, rather, well balanced. Slightly oily palette. I think I found my summer session beer.

04-11-2010 00:45:14 | More by SirSaranac
mdfb79

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a straw golden color with 2-3 inches of white head and high carbonation evident. Nice lacing.

s - Smells of floral hops, bready malts, and yeast.

t - Some floral/pine hops and bready malts, followed by some bitterness.

m - Light body and high carbonation. Very easy to drink with the low ABV.

d - Ok, but somewhat disappointing. I had heard very good things about this and that it was one of Sam Adams better products, but it didn't do it for me. Had a decent hoppy smell and taste, but nothing stood out to me except the high carbonation which I felt hurt it. Have a 6 pack of this so I'll give it another shot, but right now I wouldn't buy this again.

04-10-2010 22:43:38 | More by mdfb79
bluejacket74

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

On-tap at the R Bar last night. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color (kinda hard to tell in a dark bar exactly what shade of gold it was) with about a half inch white head. Head retention and lacing were both decent. Aroma was grassy and earthy hops and some grainy malt. This brew does smell like a good pilsner with the Noble hops. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, I think it's a good pilsner with the grassy/herbal/spicy hops that stand out, with some malt noticable too. There's also a lingering bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, with moderate carbonation. Drinkability was good, it's crisp and refreshing and easy to drink. I thought this was a decent overall brew, I'd pick it up again in the future.

04-10-2010 21:01:20 | More by bluejacket74
DAllspaw

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a golden yellow with 1 inch white head. This what beer looked like when I was a kid. Head retains for quite some time, really nice, very dense.

Nothing overly strong with the smell some piney hops and a bit of yeast, more floral than citrus.

Nice bitterness to the taste, but not too much. I'm not familiar with the style but I would describe more as tannin quality than in your face bitterness.

Nicely carbonated, a bit foamy that coats the mouth, again notice the tannins in the mouthfeel.

Crisp, solid drinkable beer. Not a sipper, but not meant to be. Very impressed, will definitely buy again and esp. nice in warmer weather.

04-10-2010 01:17:33 | More by DAllspaw
maximum12

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Picked up a single of this brew after reading good things. There just aren't enough good, full-flavored low ABV beers out there & I missing Surly Bitter right now. So ready to take this for a spin.

Pours with an uncommon pale yellow clarity; I could probably read the newspaper behind it in good light. Nose is elusive, but faint hops, lager yeast, & amber waves of grain can be ferreted out if one tries hard enough.

Noble Pils is a noble effort. Hard, wild grains form a wicked dome of taste over everything else. The hops lend a touch of bitterness at the end.

Simple, clean, & crisp. This is a drinker - no sipping should be allowed. M&D are the strengths of this beer, as it's decent enough, but nothing to get too excited about.

04-10-2010 00:06:55 | More by maximum12
lawman834

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-Med golden. Impressive head. Bubbles keep on coming.

S-Hoppy. A little grassy and floral.

T-Nicely balanced. I can taste everything in equal proportions. It has quite a crisp bite up front but finishes smooth.

D-Crisp up front, but it is a little sweeter on the finish than I would like, leaving a little syrup-y aftertaste to me. Nice and easy to drink.

04-09-2010 23:36:55 | More by lawman834
simskl

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

From a bottle cold from the fridge into a chilled pint glass.

The color was a very nice clear gold without much of a head and very little lacing.

The smell was fantastic; hop aroma was clear and prominent.

The taste was very nice not quite as hoppy as I was hoping after the smell but still very nice. There was very little of the bitterness that I often find overpowering in a hoppy beer. There was also no unpleasant aftertaste.

I can easily see myself drinking a lot of these as the grill is warming up and the steaks are cooking. The flowers on our cherry and apple trees are in full bloom and this spring beer goes beautifully with the smell in the yard.

Highly enjoyable.

04-09-2010 16:44:31 | More by simskl
Thiestru

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Clear and golden, with a thin but persistent head. It doesn't look as watery as a piss beer like Budweiser, but it doesn't look very 'noble' either.

Smell: Hops! That's the chief scent I'm getting here, and the only one that matters. I love that floral smell; with an aroma like that, I feel confident I'm about to taste a damn good beer....

Taste: ... And I'm not disappointed! As much as I love bitter beers, what really makes this so enjoyable to me is the fact that it's definitely hoppy without any bitterness. I feel that with many beers, the hops impart a bite to the drinker but don't really allow them to enjoy the actual flavor of the flower; with Sam Adams Noble Pils, it's the opposite. There's some faint maltiness lingering in the background, but it's unimportant; what we have here is a celebration of the deliciousness of humulus lupulus. Do you remember how Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner tasted as it first hit your tongue, before the overwhelmingly bitter aftertaste assaulted you? That's what this beer is, and as a huge fan of the much-missed Imperial Pilsner, I'm delighted.

Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated. It tingles the tongue, but otherwise, I don't notice it.

Drinkability: I could make, and have made, entire sessions of this one beer, and that distinguishes it from many other beers I've had. If I had the alcohol tolerance for it, I would happily drink a whole case of this.

In conclusion, I'm happy that Sam Adams has given us this wonderful beer and sad that it's only seasonal. Why not make it year-round? You'd make up a sizable portion of the cost from me alone, I promise you.

04-09-2010 00:57:07 | More by Thiestru
ThreeDimesDown

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a strong golden, clear color with a nice white head that leaves little lacing but lingers as a thin ring.

Unexpectedly underwhelming nose with citrus (mainly orange) and floral hoppiness and very light malts.

The floral hops hit you upon first taste but drop off quickly, followed by a slightly bitter body and finishes with citrus.

On my first taste, I expected more bitterness but this beer is very smooth and refreshing with a light mouthfeel. The carbonation is ever-present and strong adding to it's crispness.

Not a die-hard fan of Sam Adams, I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Definitely a session beer for me, especially as the days grow warmer and outdoor activities start up.

04-08-2010 20:04:11 | More by ThreeDimesDown
heissebier

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance- Golden straw colored with a touch of green in there. A nice fluffy head that retains well. A nice looking beer.

Smell- Sadly a bit underwhelming. I was expecting a much stronger, more assertive hoppiness to this beer. What smell there is isn't bad, just more toned down that I expected. Floral and pine notes dominate.

Taste- Very refreshing. Once again the hops seem a bit toned down but are well balanced by the pilz malts. Tastes fairly citrusy with a hint of pine. The hops complement eachother fairly well, although the resulting flavor seems a bit muddy.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and fairly light bodied, although feels almost sticky.

Drinkability- Drinkability is good, not overwhelming or anything, although it lacks the punch that would have made this a memorable beer.

04-07-2010 23:14:59 | More by heissebier
Whiteweasel

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Golden colour with a greenish tint. Great lacing with big bubbles and a frothy head yield from an aggressive pour.

S: Very hoppy and light. Hoppy like an IPA and smells reminiscent of an ale. Lager yeast is barely evident, and I would've guessed it was an ale instead of a lager.

T: Bitter yet mellow. Hoppy taste is very complex; no one hop variety sticking out strongly. I would have almost preferred a little more simplicity, because I don't necessarily think that they combine in a synergistic way. Very citrusy, beyond lemons limes and oranges. Maybe something more like a sweetened grapefruit.

M: Carbonation is prominant. It bites your tongue, and sizzles in your mouth between the bubbles and the bitterness. Rather refreshing and pleasant.

D: I'm not sure how many of these I would want to have in a row, but its still solid. ABV is in the acceptable range for having a few in one sitting. Not as great as I would like however, and it gets a little old.

04-07-2010 23:13:32 | More by Whiteweasel
Fnerk

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

First off, let me start by saying--with the exception of Pilsner Urquell and a few other Czech beers--I am not at all a hophead. I must also confess that I'm a tad biased against Samuel Adams in that I find many times they try to recreate beer styles when they should be creating their own. That said, on to the review:

Appearance - wonderful golden and clear, a vigorous pour resulted in a two-finger head that settles down to a fine cap after a few minutes.

Aroma - What can you say? Halltertau, Tettnanger, Spalt, Lublin, and Saaz all wrapped together in a perfect blend. Not much malt comes through, but just wait:

Taste - Luscious, the flavors of all the hops are there in perfect balance, yet a sweetish malt flavor cuts through to even things out. Fantastic job.

Mouthfeel - perfectly carbonated, and the viscosity of the brew is neither thin nor syrupy.

Drinkability - like a Pilsner Urquell, I don't think I could session this beer only because the flavors are so assertive. But is that so bad?

Samuel Adams' best effort yet. I've a new-found respect for this company. :)

04-07-2010 18:45:41 | More by Fnerk
maltlikker

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a brilliant golden straw color with a fluffy white head that leaves ample lacing as it recedes.

Moderate citrus aroma with a light underlying earthiness.

Initial smooth flavor is hard to describe - almost like drinking fresh spring air, the citric hop taste doesn't really kick in 'till most of the liquid is swallowed.

Ample carbonation and a lighter mouthfeel with pretty good body make this very refreshing.

04-07-2010 16:13:33 | More by maltlikker
Kegatron

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz bottle into a Pils glass.

Pours a brilliant clear gold, with several big foamy fingers of eggshell-white head. There's a really solid retention to this, which leaves thick foamy swathes of lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is spicy and floral in the nose, with some leafy smelling citric character and the stiff feeling breadiness of the malts across the back. As far as a solid Pils aroma goes, I'm digging this...

Those Noble hops are spicy, citric, and earthy across the mouth in the taste, with those Pils malts holding tight against the back of the profile and adding some extra drying graininess to the proceedings. This overall isn't very sweet by any means, with most of it coming from the citrus flavors and a just a touch from the malts. Just a steady spicy finish on this. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch lighter on the palate, with a crisp sharpness to the carbonation which snaps across the tongue. Man, this is very smooth and easy drinking for the style.

Flavorful, smooth, and easy drinking, this could easily be a go-to with the temps rapidly warming up outside. Maybe a touch light in the body but I really really enjoyed this for the most part.

04-06-2010 16:44:06 | More by Kegatron
Ilushny

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

My first thought when I had this beer was YUM. that's a nice smooth sweet beer.

when i smelled the Beer I thought it smelled like lemons or fresh oranges.

it has nice golden color,

the beer had about a 1/4 inch head when i poured it into a tumbler.

Apparently it's hops are Nobel so if i drink enough will I become A duke.

04-06-2010 04:59:19 | More by Ilushny
wescj

Tennessee

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Color is golden straw. Great clarity, and a nice, rich, white head.

Aroma is mostly the soft hop profile. Citrusy, floral, and good. I can't say I'm one for picking out the particular hops in a brew, but the bottle says there's five in this one. Seems plausable enough.

Taste is quite good. The hop profile is nice 'n soft, and lingers on the tounge for a while. Just a hint of maltiness hides in there.

Good beer, overall.

04-06-2010 01:14:28 | More by wescj
carlborch

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Pours golden clear with a half-inch head. The nose is sweet and floral with vague citrus notes. The body is medium-light with a decent crisp finish. Smooth lingering. I expected more hops and more malt. The bitter notes are present as is a hint of pine. Moderate carbonation. Light lacing develops. Could be a session beer. I believe it is too light for a true Pilsner.

04-05-2010 23:00:30 | More by carlborch
JunkYardJake

On-tap in pilsner glass.
Had Noble Pils again, this time on tap, and it finally lived up to the hype. The smell and taste were much hoppier than the bottle that I had. Fresh floral and citrus hop nose was much more pronounced and inviting. The palate was balanced and delicious. Soft bitterness and a moderate grassy hop flavour hit the spot. Medium bodied and fluid on the tongue. Good pils that impressed me this time around.

04-05-2010 21:28:48 | More by JunkYardJake
berpwillie

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Wow! i wasn't expecting this beer to be as good as it was. i must say i was pretty impressed. i had heard that this years batch was supposed to be extra delicious. I must say i concur. extremely potent hoppy smell and flavor, that was hard not to enjoy. wasn't expecting so much out of ol'sammy but i pleasantly surprised.

04-05-2010 15:19:13 | More by berpwillie
taez555

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a very light straw colored body with a thick white head.

Nose is very light with a fresh grain maltiness and a wave of earthy fresh german hops.

Taste is light to medium bodied with an immediate big earthy hop bite. Very crisp and clean when it comes to the malt base. Almost reminds me of a slightly cleaner and less malty Sam Lager, yet the hops are totally in your face giving it a very big almost IPA type quality for the hops. A nice big bitterness that never overpowers and mostly lets the flavors of the hops shine through.

Gotta say... I've been complaining for years since they took the Sam Spring (Kolsch) out of rotation for their Spring Seasonal and replaced it with the white, but this... this is damn good. Just a simple, very hoppy lager. Calling this a Pilsner in the same breath as Macro lagers out there is an insult. It's hoppy, hoppy, hoppy and very refreshing. Nice job Sam Adams. This might be your best Spring seasonal yet.

04-04-2010 20:11:21 | More by taez555
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Cloudy yellow hue with an average head and random spots of lace. Looks more like a hefeweizen than a pilsner. Hmm...

S: Sweet wheat malt - I'm not getting a lot of pilsner flavor. Smells like a slightly fruity summer beer with some artificial sweetness or additives.

T: A bit of disappointment, though my expectations were not exceedingly high. There is an unpleasant soapy taste, along with a bright, wheat flavor. Generally, this beer is just a bit off kilter. There is an undeniable artificial taste that permeates my senses and distracts me from any possible tasty pilsner-like goodness this brew may or may not have to offer. Basically, this doesn't take like a pilsner to me.

M: A bit soapy, fresh carbonation, goes down smooth (though it doesn't taste particularly great).

D: I'd rather get a water than order a second round. In fact, that's what I did. Bummer.

04-04-2010 03:50:51 | More by Huhzubendah
dismal

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Pours light yellow with a small white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves little lacing at all. Smell wasn't to strong. A bit hoppy, and kind of floral and grassy. The taste was the same with that grassy like taste standing out more. More hoppy than I was expecting but in a really good way. It also had that typical Sam Adams taste that most if not all of their beers have in one way or another. I knew I was drinking a Sam Adams but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Average mouthfeel, wasn't expecting much in that department anyways. Lower ABV makes this really drinkable but that is not the only drinkable thing about it. Not the best Sam Adams brew out there but it contends for it. I wish I had more as I would have finished a six pack tonight. I'm not big on the Pilsner style of beer but this one is one of the only ones I've had that I really really like. The best Pilsner I've had yet.

04-03-2010 23:42:10 | More by dismal
rednrag

Oklahoma

I did not think America could ever make a lager to rival the great German/Czech pilseners.
OK I stand corrected. Sam Adams has never been one of my favorite breweries. Till now.
This is a world class lager, and my hat is off to you, Boston Beer Company.

04-03-2010 02:14:16 | More by rednrag
Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)