1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

(Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

A: A bright and vibrant yellow with a zippy bubbles of carbonation jetting towards the top. Head is frothy and tall, falling slowly but leaving some nice patches of sudsy lace on the glass. Retention is well-fed by the continuous stream of carbonation coming up from below.

S: Musty, grainy malt with a strong presence of spice, floral scent, and some citrus. A good showing in the aroma department for a pilsner.

T&M: Quite tasty. Pale malt lays down some slight graininess and must, but the noble hops really contribute most of the flavor here. Gentle floral notes, bright lemony citrus, and a dose of spice contribute in about equal parts. Flavor is quite refreshing and lively. Not quite on the level of Prima Pils, but close. Body is a bit bigger than your standard pils, with a lively and zesty carbonation that gives it a crisp finish.

D: Highly drinkable. Another notch in the belt of BBC for a well-crafted and widely distributed craft beer.

Moderate pour into my favorite weitzen glass yields a clear pale straw-yellow brew with a three-finger head. Seems pretty carbonated as it tried to leap out of the bottle when opened.

The hops are front and center in the nose, but with a nice touch of malts to balance some of that. Muted scents overall though.

Taste is very similar to the smell, but very crisp and bright, very refreshing! Although the hops are the stars, there's an equally nice malt backbone that balances it out nicely. A little graininess actually seems to enhance the crisp flavors.

Mouthfeel seems just about perfect for the beer.

Exceedingly sessionable! One of my least favorite styles, but this one is absolutely refreshing. Great warm weather beer!

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle into SA sensory glass.

Pours crystal clear straw color with a two finger, fluffy white head that leaves very nice lacing; the only lacing in the glass at the end, in fact. Head settles fairly quickly into a thin layer of soapy white suds.

Nose is a combination of grainy pale malt sweetness, almost buttery, and floral, spicy hops.

Taste is a bit harsh at colder temperatures, but as it warms, you get floral, spicy hops up front and center. The mix of hops is at time a bit muddled and rough for my palate, but not overly so as it warms. Very dry, crisp. Pale malt that hints at cereal is under there somewhere, but the hops are in the lead in this one; on the finish, a bit of sulfur comes out. A decent, tasty pils, but not quite up to the standards set by many of the PA varieties. Just a bit rough around the edges when compared to the cream of the Pilsner crop.

Mouthfeel is nice - medium light bodied, with a light, buoyant carbonation that's just a bit creamy. Finish is a bit longer than expected. Nicely drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Served from a bottle into an 8 ounce glass...I'm on vacation, you gotta do what you gotta do. Pours a beautiful clear gold with a 2 finger white head. Initial smell is of...well, hops. Tastes very hoppy for a pilsner, but goes down to smooth. I'm on my 4th one of the day right now, and I could go for 4 more. Probably my second favorite pilsner behind Prima Pils, of course.

The bottled version seems to lose some of the fragile and amazing hops scents and taste versus the on-tap version.

A= nice golden, the head depends on how hard you pour. I poured one gently and had a modest head. I poured 1/3 at a time, more straight-down and got an amazingly dense whipped-cream head. Neither produce the amazing layered-lacing I experienced in the on-tap version, however.

S= nice, more malt-dominant than the hops-dominant on-tap version however, although you'll get some good whiffs of them from the bottle-poured as well.

T= again, less apparent and overwhelming hops than the on-tap version but they're still there and rather nice. The bottled version seems more malt-dominant however, just like in the Scent. Same nice slightly dry-grassy green hops of the on-tap, though, but unfortunately not quite as dominant.

M= somewhat grassy-dry that lingers for some time after the last gulp.

D= very drinkable but if you can find it on-tap you're twice-blessed.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Pale straw, great carbonation, crystal Clear, and a lovely full head.

S: Pale malt with a little carmel sweetness. Quite clean. Slightly Earthy hop scent though this is fairly subdued.

T: The hops are present. Slightly spicey, and earthy, with just a little malt in the background. I almost like this more in the bottle than on tap. Good but not great. Still on of the best pils I have had.

M: Nothing wrong here. perfectly to style.

D: Easy drinking, refreshing, and clean. Though a little boring, and not my favorite style.... But this does something that a lot of other pils don't... it's good enough to get it again.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

After having quite a few high octane beers in the recent past drinking something like this is a useful and pleasing change of pace.
I like a good pilsner and this one certainly qualifies. Dry, crisp and refreshing, I could see going through cases of these pretty easily, especially considering the price point. I always suspected that Sam Adams could brew something like this and I am glad to have it. I've their beers, for the most part, tending towards being too heavy on sweetness. Noble Pils does not err in that direction at all.
Bright, grassy, with notes of fresh baked baguette. This is good enough to merit a side by side with Prima pils, Stoudts, and my other favorites. I look forward to this day!

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

the bev-mo guy said it wasn't worth it to buy but bought a 6-er anyway. been enjoying it. poured into my bruery tulip

a - nice looking golden/amberish color. clear w/ about a finger's head.

s - i dont really smell much. little malt and slight hop. but not too impressed w/ the aroma.

t - clean and crisp flavor. malt upfront with some bite at the end. very balanced. bready at the end.

m - pretty light good amount of carbonation. refreshing.

d - very easy to drink. can knock a few back easily. great pils.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Perfectly clear, golden brown, with a quick fading white head but leaves sticky lace all the way down the glass.

S - A little faint but the super earthy and pine hops take over the scent. The malt smell is fragrant and musty and pairs perfectly with the hops.

T - This is where this beer shines for me. The hops pop right from the start with flavors of grass, pine, and a little lemon in the aftertaste. The grain bill provides a dry, corn, bready flavor. The hop selection isn't my favorite in any other beer but paired with the gains used they work superbly.

M/ D - Medium body which finishes semi dry due to the amount of malt and bittering hops. Carbonated perfectly and smooth on the palate, this brew is super drinkable and begs for another sip.

Sam Adam's hit the nail on the head with this one and made a great move by making noble pils the new seasonal.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Adams, but I respect what they do and I have enjoyed a few of their beers in the past. One notable treat from Boston Brewing Company every year is the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Good stuff. But the line as a whole just doesn't do it for me - I don't know, maybe I'm biased towards the somewhat similar Goose Island here in Chicago. Either way, I was delighted when Noble Pils showed up on tap at the bar I work at. I wasn't expecting it to be my kind of beer, but when I took a taste, so I knew what to tell my customers, I was thrilled and I looked forward to getting the chance to review it. So here I am, with an hour to kill at work before my shift starts and I figured I'd dive in and review it:

APPEARANCE: Medium amber color with a very thin head. Not much lacing throughout the glass.

SMELL: I admit I do not have a sensitive nose, but I can barely detect any aroma from Noble Pils. It certainly does not seem to convey any sense of flavor.

TASTE: Despite the deceiving lack of smell, the first sip of Noble Pils hits you like a ton of bricks...if bricks felt fantastic hitting you and tasted delicious. The blend of Noble Hops provides a very crisp and powerful hop-filled flavor. Despite the complexity of what goes into this beer, it does not have a complicated taste. Which is no knock against it, it is simply a straightforward, solid, bitter and hoppy beer - just the way I like it.

FEEL: The initial blast of carbonation is strong in a pleasant way, but it quickly fades and flattens out.

OVERALL: The taste is what drives this beer. Sam Adams takes the time to pay attention to detail in their beers, but this one seemed to be all about the flavor - once again, not a bad thing, just left a little to be desired in the look, smell and feel departments. At 5.2%, however, along with an excellent taste, Noble Pils makes a fantastic session beer.

1.13/5  rDev -69.9%

I had this at a local Italian pizza shop.

This was very weak beer. The hops were barely there. It reminded me of Budweiser with a bitter blah-ness. It was just awful. I tried to like this beer. But Sam Adams is just putting names on stuff to make the beers sound like they may taste good. They failed here.

You want a good pilsner? Drink a Warsteiner.

Cheers!

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Transparent gold with a bright white head that fades to a solid lace.

S: Hops are the major note here, with fainter hints of grain husk and something sweet.

T: Again, the hops dominate here, with a variety of flavors from spicy to a bit grassy, and some citrus. Really an interesting layering of hops here. The malt is present, but very subdued.

M: Mouthfeel is nice, save for the beer being overcarbed. While I understand many pilsners have higher carbonation levels, this seems too much with the presence of the hops here.

D: Definitely quaffable, and I could see wandering (or stumbling) back to the fridge for several.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

On-tap at the Hamden Playwright into a shaker pint.

A: Clear light-gold body under a finger of tight, creamy white head. Good retention and lots of light lace. Pretty great for a fizzy yellow beer.

S: Clean grain and some subdued noble hops. Appropriate for the style, but nothing mind-blowing.

T: Follows the nose, but with greater emphasis on the spicy hops and a bit more depth to the pilsner malt. Pretty nice.

M: Pretty full-bodied for a pils, but over-loaded with excessively sharp carbonation.

D: Something about the hops here is making this a surprising struggle for me to finish. Not as refreshing as I'd expect.

Notes: Definitely a solid pils, but not something I'll be seeking out. I would like to try it side-by-side with Prima Pils, though.

Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours yellow with a nice white head. Solid retention.

S: Earthy hops, with a hint of lime.

T: Nice bready malt, secondary flavours of cracked wheat/bulghur which I liked. Nice hop finish, grassy with a rustic flair.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, good hoppy finish.

D: A solid pils, not mind-blowing, but a good beer.

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz bottle, best before May 2010. Pours light golden amber with a one finger white head, relatively foamy head but is short-lived. Retains a small cap and is leaving a few spots of lacing.

Aroma is floral, spicy, a bit of pine and citrus, a little bready malt, a touch of soap.

Flavor is clean floral and citrus hops with a bit of sweet malt which is followed by a good dose of spicy bitterness, there is a little of that soapy flavor there too. Finishes with a mix of lingering bitterness and sweetness.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, prickly, clean, pretty easy drinking.

This is my first "good" pilsner, and is close to what I expected, although more hoppy than I thought it would be. I'm going to pick up singles of Prima Pils & Mama's Little Yella Pils and compare with the other bottle of this I have.

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

i bought a sixer of this a few weeks ago and was waiting for my last one to write the review so i could really give it my best go at it. the first 4 were very good. there was snow on the ground and as i consumed these i was like "hey this is pretty good, but i'm not ready for it yet" (as i cracked open another southern tier choklat). but today it reached a whopping 55 degrees, and i fired up the grill and cracked my last 2 noble pils. wow...the mood and conditions really got me amped as i knocked back my last 2 of these. really smooth, great color, great smell, not too heavy, extremely drinkable, and as it warmed it still tasted pretty bad ass. lovin' it...

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

A-Poured into a 12oz beer glass. Golden color, with a 1/4 inch of foam. 4

S-Light malt scent and hoppiness. A very Springy aroma. A touch of citrus. 3.5

T-I guess I was expecting more, but am not really disappointed. Very earthy hops. 3.5

M-Light body, quite smooth going down. 4

Samuel Adams succeeded in their quest for a quality Spring beer. Enjoying two of these makes for an excellent afternoon.

This is one of the best Sam Adams offerings to date.

Light color with excellent head and retention.

Smell is slightly grainy, but not overly so with spicy noble hops.

Light pils malt with a perfect balance of noble hop flavors to keep the beer interesting and still sessionable.

Crisp mouthfeel and excellent drinkability.

I thought the combination of all the noble hops would be gimmicky and not all that great, however it's wonderfully done.

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

A fore sure re-buy, I enjoyed this beer a lot. I have not had a wide variety of pilseners, but from what ive come to expect from them was a little different than what i got here. For me this beer had a nice hoppy flavor and great drink-ability, Another good entry from sammy

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Out of a 12 ounce bottle and into my standard shaker glass. The pils appears a clear golden yellow color with about a finger or so of white foam. Nose and flavors are of fruits such as white grapes, lightly toasted bread grains, sweet biscuits, earthy, grassy hops. Very clean and fresh tasting. Medium bodied for a pils and amply carbonated as well. A nice attempt, one I'll pick up again as the weather breaks.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

A- Poured into a 12oz Beer Glass, Appears to be a Medium Golden Color, with a very slim line of head

S- you can somewhat smell the blended hops, but i do have a snuffed up nose.

T- Light at the first touch of the lips, Then Bam, you can immediatly taste the hops. Great Pils.

M- light/ medium. but crisp and refreshing

D- Definatly Drinkable. In Fact, i would greatly enjoy a six pack to myself.

Great Job guys at sam adams, looking forward to many more great brews

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

I was pleasantly surprised by this offering from Sam, great spring beer, light, but has flavor, slight hint of fruit or citrus, but very subtle, but you know its there.

I'd buy a 12 pack or case and keep it on hand for the spring. Pours a light golden brown, nice smell to it, you can smell the citrus.

You could drink these all day and not get tired of them.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Guiness Pint Glass

Appearance- A clear, well carbonated, golden beer with a decent head and some good lacing as it goes down.

Smell- Mild earthy hops and a faint scent of malt. Nothing too escpetional here.

Taste- Nothing fantastic, but definetly good. Earthy hops are present throughout the experience. In the middle there is a nice malt backbone. Descent taste.

Mouthfeel- light/medium body. Felt more like a standard lager than a pils, but nothing offensive. Goes down smooth

An overall solid brew from SA. Not as good as the Boston Lager, but still a good beer. Also, very sessionable. Enjoy!

4.7/5  rDev +25%

Served on tap twice i the past week - Leroy Selmons in Tampa, FL, and at a more local joint a few days later.

Color is a golden yellow, very picturesque. Brilliantly clear, low foam. Very sticky on the sides.

Mild but pleasing aroma. some grains in there, blended with the hops. makes me....thirsty.

Taste is clean, crisp, backd by a subtle tasty hop. Basically, everything you'd want in a pils. Believe the hype, this beer delivers.

Nicely balanced carbonation in the mouthfeel. Very pleasing.

Very, very drinkable. One only is difficult. Buy these, buy in bulk.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle into a Boston Lager glass pours a crisp bubbly straw light orange with a decent eggshell head. Aroma is crisp earthy hops with a nice sweet malts profile right behind. The taste is a nice amount of floral hops and sweet biscuity malts with a nice lingering hop finish. The beer is light bodied with smooth carbonation. This is a very enjoyable lager for a warm night.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)