Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

(Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

Pours a brilliantly clear straw yellow with a creamy two finger paper white cap. Some sheeting action from the lace and streams of very active bubbles flying through the body.

The hops really address all angles here, perfumey, floral, spicy, citrus, and herbal. They stand up pretty tall on top of a saltine-like pilsner malt base.

A little honey sweetness from the malt adds a nice counterbalance to the dry, crisp, bitter hops. Fruity esters of apples and pears with a tangerine citrus add a nice fruity flavor. Super clean with bright flavors....a little too clean.

Crisp, cry, spritzy. Finish is a touch of honey mixed with hop bitterness. Light bodied, easy to drink.

All in all, this is a nice addition to the pilsner scene, but it feels a little too overproduced to knock out the top of the style. Still, a well-crafted hoppy pilsner.

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best by July 2009.

Beautiful golden yellow with a dense off-white head with excellent retention and lacing. In my Trumer glass, this is absolutely redolent.

The nose is gorgeous, with a bright herbal lemon zest, delicate grainy malt character, and some earth. The palate opens with a big noble hop character, lots of earthy hop flavor, some lemon and just a bit of mint. Delicate and quite nuanced with some grainy malt character, this beer finishes dry, crisp and with a lingering German hop bitterness. Clean as hell, there's no off-flavors in this one, this light-bodied beer is a pleasure on the palate and eminently drinkable. Quite possibly the best Sam Adams beer there is (after Utopias, that is.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

This has been out a few weeks (at least) so it was time to try it. I also wanted something to dull the pain while working on taxes while not dulling the senses too much. I guess this qualifies.

The aroma is quite unique and exceptional. Very nice job on the finishing hops. The taste is crisp and fresh and also unique. In fact I think UNIQUE is the operative word for this great pilsener.

It does not transport you back to the old country, but it transports you to the NEW county - the EU today, maybe. I think they wish they made beer this good in the EU.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Nice, bubbly head. Pours off tap with 1/2 to 3/4". Very good color, clear and warm golden.

S - Does not make me think of Pils with this hoppy aroma. Citrus, pine, grassy wet hops.

T - Flavor does not match the aroma, but it is well blended. Tastes much smoother than most Pilseners, with fruit and citrus and that green wet hop undertone. Everything blends well.

M - Light and dry, very crisp.

D - Even though Pilsener has not been one of my favorite styles for a long time, this one proved to be a big surprise. It is on tap at a neighborhood spot, and I think I'll be ordering it again. Very drinkable, showed me Sam Adams is still a big player in the American craft brewing game.

4.7/5  rDev +25%

A - Medium-light golden with creamy white 2 finger head (slow to diminish)
S - Mild citrus hop aroma, light skunkiness. Smells clean and well crafted
T - Tastes clean like a cold pure glass of water (not the flavor of water), very light citrus with hops and mild bitterness on the finish. Very light skunkiness
M - Light, clean, smooth, crisp and carbonated (not overbearing). It has a rich feel to it even though it is light
D - Very drinkable, very smooth, well crafted pilsner...my favorite so far. I could drink it all day

Had from a bottle and tap

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that my brother Pete gave me into a clear, pilsener glass.

A Nice egg white meringue head of about 2 inches that sticks around for several minutes, dissipating down to one half an inch over a very clear, slightly straw yellow body with minimal carbonation rising up. I like the creamy, egg white head. 3.5

S Classic, grain pilsener smell with light malt and a bit of hops. I really like the warmth and depth of this smell. 4.0

T Great earthy, grainy pilsener goodness washes over me in a classic pilsener taste with a lot of depth. 4.5

M Nice smoothness that I did not expect and that I like. 4.0

D Good. I could have several of these. 4.0

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow. Produces a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving some lacing.

S: Floral hops and the standard pilsener malts.

T: I feel deceived by the commercials and labeling as I expected more here. Definately tastes like a pilsener; however, not as good as an authentic german pilsener.

M: Light bodied, dry.

D: Easily drinkable. I didn't particularly care for this but could see how it would make a nice session beer for some.

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Gold color with a one finger foamy white head, poor retention and no lace. smells of hops with a grain malt backbone. The flavor is bitter hops with a bit of grass and some grain malt flavor.

Light bodied, smooth, nice carbonation. Well worth trying on tap, and worth having again sometime.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Bright clear gold. White head, with pretty decent lacing.

S: Hops, some bread/malt, a little grass. Pretty complex actually.

T: Nice medium to light hop taste and some wheat and malt to back it up. Very well balanced.

M: A little on the lighter side.

D: Great drinkability. Very crisp and refreshing.

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Picked up a sixer from WF Bowery beer room. I've always liked Sam Adam's stuff, but I haven't really paid too mch attention to them, and now that I am, they are doing a bunch of things.

A- The initial pour provides a huge, large bubbled head that shrinks quickly, leaving some mild lacing on the edges. Plenty of streamers noted. Pale clear golden yellow color. Eventuall ends up with a 1/2" meringue like cap.

S- Wow, hops much? Smells like I am taking a deep whiff from a bin of hop pellets or something. Spicey, piney, grapefruity- straight up hops here. Light and bright. The more I think (and whiff) I get some high acid sauvignon blanc- anyways, crisp hops is the take home message here.

T- While it is cleary hoppy, not as much as I thought from the nose. A dry and crisp piney, lime & grapefriuit bitterness that is present throughout but not overwhelming. Green apple? Touch of some mineral near the end. A very clean tasting beer.

M- Very light, and almost delicate. Dry thoughout, good carbonation that lends to the crispness of this beer.

D- I usually shy away from Pilseners, I think because I think they are boring? I am not sure, but I am glad I picked this up, I was just wanting some spring on this very wet/snowy/slushy day. What I got was a reminder of how good Sam can be, and a a door opened into the rarely travelled world of craft Pilseners.

Pours a clear gold with a giant white frothy head. The head lasts and leaves great lacing. the smell is very strong with floral hints,wheat, and some hops. The taste is crisp with hops,wheat,and bread yeast. The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing well. This is on my short list of new favorite summer beer. Cheers

4.1/5  rDev +9%

pours a pale golden color with a small head that leaves a good but of lacing. A lot of carbonation. The nose is pretty complex, the most I get is grassy notes from the hops and a little malt. The taste is hoppy upfront but supported very nicely by malt. Very crisp and clean, pretty light and easy to drink. Overall I like this beer a lot, though I miss the previous spring seasonal white ale.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Very solid pour with a thick head. Pours a very golden-clear color. Lots of bubbles that tend to dissipate with time.

S - Hoppy smell, especially from the bottle. Good earthy tones that finishes with that classic pilsner smell.

T - Very good amount of hops. Not overbearing. A little yeasty at first, but then the hops take over through the swallow with a very, let's say peppy aftertaste.

M - Very crisp with high volume of carbonation, almost a little spicy on the swallow.

I was impressed. Overall, a very solid pilsner. I feel the art of a solid crafted pilsner by commercial brewers is hard to come by, but the Boston Brewing Company has done it here. Even drinking this in the winter while it snows outside, I look forward to drinking this on a warm spring day.

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Nice one inch of light tan head on top of a medium yellow to copper body.

S - Slight hops aroma accompanied by a slight soapy scent.

T - Robust yet smooth hops flavor to start. The middle picks up more tart-bitter hops flavor. The end and finish are rather mild as for hops which is fine.

M - The feel is slightly coarse which allows for some of the flavor to be released.

~ This is a good beer for sessioning. It has a nice hoppy character but it isn't overwhelming.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - This looks like the perfect Pilsner. Golden and crystal clear with a beautiful, 1/2 inch, white head. Plenty of carbonation bubbles up and just makes this beer look alive. As the head dies down there is some great lacing and a nice foam cap sticks around through the whole session.

S - Great hoppy aroma. Nothing exceedingly citrusy, earthy or piney, but hints of those aromas are there. This is one of the the most well rounded hop aromas I've encountered in quite a while.

T - The initial taste is doughy and somewhat yeasty, but it quickly blends with a crisp hop bitterness. There is more earthy and pine notes in the flavor than in the aroma and although there is nothing at all wrong with the flavor something unquantifiable just doesn't impress as much as the appearance and aroma.

M - light, dry and refreshingly crisp. The body of this beer is right on target.

D - All in all, an incredibly well executed Pilsner. A great beer for being outside on a sunny day.

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

On draft in the home bar. Pours with a healthy 3-4F of fluffy white head that sticks around as a foam, leaving tons of lacing. Totally clear, yet golden body, with pretty aggressive carbonation present. She's a beaut.

Acidic / fresh citrus up front in the aroma, followed quickly by piney hops, and then some fresh pizza dough bringing up the rear.

Fresh, slightly tart and tight mouthfeel, with powerful lemon/lime-citrus flavor, riding on top of a doughy Italian bread base. Slight spearmint finish. Not quite as dry as some in this style. This would be phenomenal with a lemon caper chicken dish.

This is a terrific German Pilsener, and I will most definitely be picking up another sixtel this summer.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

I had this at a banquet poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

It is impressive to look at. It is a deep golden color with good clarity and a nice white head.

The smell is very hoppy, but the hops are not real prevalent in the taste. It has a nice amount of carbonation that helps the mouthfeel.

It is very drinkable and overall a very enjoyable beer.

Notch on the label indicates this one is best enjoyed before July. I think I just made it.

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Pilsner glass. Emerges a very bright and very clear golden bronze color with a two finger sized, white, puffy head. The lacing is copious and thick in spots.

Aroma is citrusy and zesty. Lots of lime zest with a touch of wet grass, lemons, and straw. A bit more citrusy than I would have expected but very nice indeed.

Flavor is sharp and compact. Huge amount of lime zest with grassy undertones. The finish is long and tastes like Vienna malt. Tastes a bit like a fresh cracker with lime zest and lemon squirted on top. Quite limey.

A pretty good beer. I like the Vienna malt finish and the slight bit of breadiness and hop zing. Fairly bitter due to the hops as well. Close to a Pale Ale in terms of bitterness. Very solid beer from a solid lineup.

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%

Not a bad beer here at all. Golden straw color with bone white head. Smell is largely some pilsner malt, though a significant amount of cat pee subsisted as well. Taste is a bit better, with some of the light malts paired with some citrus. MF is a bit small, though not a deal-breaker. Drinkability is good and only limited by the fact that I refused to remove myself.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Ok, a G-Pils. Let's see how this one goes....
Looks great. Sharp looking yellow/gold with a nice foaming, white, semi-chunked head. Pretty.
A slight musky malt strikes first, but the spices come in and calm it down. Some slight zest. Clean
I light taste. A light biscuit and malt starts out as though it would linger forever, but it's tight and clean. Enter hops. A mix of spice and zest. A bit sweet.
Not as crisp as I thought it would be, especially after the aroma and look. Most definitely better colder.
A good representation for American brewer (for what it's worth)

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

I poured into my Sam Adams pint glass to an inch of off white head. It is yellow and clear. The aroma is citrusy. I get orange, lemon, and even lime. I also get some bready malt. There is a hint of a metallic taste, but is seems to fade as I consume this beer. As far as pilsner go this is pretty good. That being said, I am not a big pilsner fan.

Cheers!

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

When poured from the bottle the foam was pretty much white in color, thick and stuck to the glass till the end. The color was light blonde yellow with gold highlights. The smell was very hoppy,complex in nature and almost fruity. The taste was of a typical American pils, light taste with a small overtone of flowers. Mouthfeel - medium to light bodied. Drinkability - not too bad, but for some reason, I expected this to have more of a robust and complex hops taste (based on what I saw in the Sam Adams commercial).

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

A- Bright straw yellow, with a white head.

S- The floral noble hops make their familiar, classic aromatic presentation.

T- Clean Bohemian Pilsner malt with a faint honeyed note. I believe all 5 noble hops have been incorporated into this seasonal brew, and it shows. I think that if I were "blind" tasting this, I would not guess an American brewery, but Czech or German. It is clean on the palate, with a medium-light body on tap, and it went along very well when I was eating shellfish at a good local raw bar.

M, D- Refreshing, crisp, very drinkable. A nice food accompaniment if paired appropriately.

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear golden color, pure white head, great lacing down the pilsner glass.

Fresh floral outdoor smell, bit of grainy/grassiness, touch of spice.

Quick malt sweetness on the taste, turns into a citrus dry bitter long finish. Hops are nice and fairly present, but not turned up too high.

Light bodied, sparkly mouthfeel.

Very drinkable, but when paired with food...it's extremely drinkable.

Great offering from Samuel Adams. Just a wonderful tasting, refreshing, session-able Pilsner.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

This is a difficult beer for me to review. I found it to be very pleasant but at the same time it wasn't enough for me. The look is golden, very clear with a creamy white head. The aroma is of malt and citrus. It starts sweet and becomes citrusy sour, carbonation comes in and finishes sour and bitter together. I had this beer with my girlfriend a fan of dark beers, she stated it was what you wish "American lagers" were like, however was to light for both of us.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)