Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

(Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

The expiration on the bottle is May 2010. Sampled on January 22, 2010. It pours a nice looking golden-amber with decent clarity and slow going carbonation with almost no head of any kind. There are noticeable hops and malts in the aroma and they seem to balance each other out with the same level of strength. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. The hops are more noted in the taste than in the aroma along with a bit of cereal grains and light malts. It ends dry. Complex but enjoyable.

puboflyons, Jan 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Without a doubt SAM brews like a champ. Seeing this new brew I picked up a twelver without hesitation, let's give it a whirl. Popping the top a delicious smelling fog rises out of the bottle smelling of malts and earthy almost pale ale type hops. The brew pours to a bright yellow with a thick foamy head that stands well. On the taste this brew has a extreme fresh flavor, the mouthfeel is full and rich with great body. Back to the taste, it is slightly bitter but sweet, not balanced but plentiful. The malts and hops are not merged but are both present. This is the best pils I have ever dranken, bar none.

mooseisloose, Jan 23, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +22.8%

Had out of a 12oz bottle into a hefe-tulip glass.

A-spongy, fluffy, dense, white head. Very clear golden body.

S-very distinct floral hop aroma.

T-very nice and malty, nice hop flavor in the middle.

M-medium, somewhat slick.

T-Really incredible offering by Sam's. This is what a pils made in America should be. Full of flavor. Spot on.

jneiswender, Jan 23, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have been quite the slacker in reviewing lately but wow, did this great surprise come out of nowhere.

12oz bottle from a pack poured into the Sam uber glass.

A: Effervescent crystal gold color with nice pilsener lacing. Very light and airy looking, had me worried it was going to be on the overly thin side.

S: Fruits and these noble hops as the name would lead you to. A snappy crisp seasoning almost to the nose that tickles the taste buds just right.

T: This is nothing shy of a great European pils. The fruit flavors from the hops with the earthiness blend over so well it is a true pleasure to drink. The crisp flavors from the bite of what I called seasoning created a superb aftertaste.

M: Overtly carbonated- awesome texture. This is what a pilsener should be. Wow.

D: I have enjoyed more than one of Sams offerings, but this is tops on my list. There are some truly great of this style coming out of the northeast. The sweetness is mild, the hops are mild, the aftertaste is mild, I can go through a boatload of these and plan to.

marcpal, Jan 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

So long White Ale.

A: Perfectly clear golden color, excellent 3 finger head in my SA Perfect Pint, nice lacing.

S: Grassy and floral hops, lemon, and some things I cant put my finger on. The aroma is more complex, and more pleasing than I expected.

T: The grassy/slightly fruity hops from the nose are first to greet me, balanced nicely by a firm malt backbone. Nice lingering bitterness toward the end, as well.

M: Plenty of body for the style, which is a good thing. Crisp carbonation.

D: I could drink these all night! Sessionable.

This is a great pilsner. I would prefer this over Prima Pils actually... this one is more balanced. Prima Pils struck me as a little too hop foward for a the style.

zoolzoo, Jan 22, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Served on tap at Old Chicago's.

A: Crystal clear golden straw, a bit darker than I would expect from the style, but still within the acceptable range. A nice head stuck around and laced well.

S: The nice bite of floral and fresh citrus noble hops meets the nose. Some of the classic pils bitter/near astringent flavor also is present.

T: The entire palate of this beer is clear, fresh, and clean. Noble hops show up first and scrub the tongue to prepare for the nicely toasty, malty finish.

M: Mouthfeel is right for the style, with some dry bite from the hops and the carbonation. Very inviting.

D: This is a drinkable pilsner, but not the best of this style, though exactly why I can't put my finger on.

Overall: A solid representation of this classic style. Props for Sam Adams once again!

allforbetterbeer, Jan 22, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

One of the best pilsners I've had and a welcome replacement to the White Ale.

Not only do the folks at Sam Adams bring the 5 noble hops into the equation but they do so effectively. The crisp, clean taste you expect from a pilsner is there but it is complemented nicely by prominent hop aroma and bitterness. I wish I could get this much character from all the lagers and pils I try. Look to stock up on this in March and April for those hot summer day.

It pours with a nice fluffy head that gives way to a good amount of lacing. With its clarity and somewhat familiar taste I think its a great beer to introduce the industrial light lager drinker to the better side of beer.

zadams1, Jan 22, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Sam Adams Noble Pils

another attempt at getting to know the more tame varieties of beer available to me. today, it's pilsners. Sam Adams is always good, usually bordering on great. lets see how the noble pils does.

well, it's clear and yellow with a frothy head that leaves a few sheets of lace behind. smells strongly of citrus hops.

the taste is balanced, yet hoppy. it has that strong pilsner 'stank'. hops are lemony, grassy, slightly bitter and harsh. some lemon rind comes through.nothing really sticks out about the malt, except that it's sweet, biscuity, takes a backseat to the hops.

mouthfeel light, crisp, a little dry.

+ it's an enjoyable beer, interesting taste, very solid choice. it leaves me wanting a bit more. i could appreciate if some more distinct flavors came through in this one. Sam Adams beers always have a way of making me think their beers could be truly incredible.

vdread, Jan 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color. A very minimal white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Grassy, floral, and citrus hops. Light yeast. A malty sweetness. Cereal and grain lingers.
T: Follows the nose. A substantial hop presents, but it is never over done. Grassy, floral, and citrus flavors. Some yeast. Sweet malt that makes for a really good balance. Light grain and cereal flavors.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Smooth at the same time. Very dry and crisp. Really easy to drink. An easy chose for a session beer.

This is indeed a good Pilsener. Very enjoyable. One of the better lagers that I have tried in a while. Recommended.

champ103, Jan 22, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

EDITED MARCH 10, 2010 - I must detract from the taste rating as I have noticed, in the last few tastings, a distinct note of fruit loops, or fruity pebbles maybe. In either case I find it less than enticing ans am removing one full point for this off-putting note I failed to notice the first time around. Shame on me...

From a 12 oz bottle into a footed pilsner glass, and a snifter for a cheat at the smell.

The head is a nice white, it is fluffy and leaves healthy lacing. Very pretty beer. There is a notable color gradation in the color from top to bottom but it is very clear. The colors range from pale yellow to a slightly orange gold at the top.

Nose is malt, grain, limon, pine, esters, orange peel and a bit of anise. Full and complex, kinda crazy amounts for a pils.

Tastes are tart, grain, malt, citrus, and bitter hop.

The feel is full and well carbonated, with a dry and buttery finish.

Wicked-drinkable beer, I had two before I finished the review.

I am not sure what I expected, but I can't imagine much better pilsner. I went into one of my local beer stores, the easy one with the good service and the mediocre selection, expecting I would leave with Urquell as I already had my review beers on-hand. There I find this seasonal offering and a chance to try something new and in the vein of my original choice. I decided (partially on the basis I had something as backup if this sucked) to give it a shot. Well I am glad I did. I got a 10% discount on the sixer and found something really tasty.
I say give it a try, I don't expect you'll be disappointed.

meeekyh, Jan 22, 2010
4.19/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear, light gold with bubbly white head and impressive lacing lines down the glass.

Smell: Citrus, apple, pear, pepper and other spices.

Taste: Starts off very fruity (citrus, apple, pear) with an additional layer of straw and grass. Then turns firmly dry and borderline tart, with a long peppery bitter finish.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, medium-light body, firm and very dry.

Drinkability: Fantastic Pilsner, second only to Prima Pils. I never knew that a Pilsner could have a decent amount of citrus, both in the aroma and taste. This beer has restored my faith in Sam Adams.

bsp77, Jan 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

Clear and yellow with a good sized white head that thinned out but left patches of lacing.
The aroma is earthy/grassy noble hops (5 of 'em son!).
The taste is that of a good Pilsener with an extra blend of tongue tingling hop bitterness that is very well balanced in the end.
Medium bodied with a crisp feel.
Easy drinking and very tasty.

Mine was 1 of 37,855 votes for this beer in the 2009 "Beer Lover's Choice" tasting and I'm glad it won...
my review on the 2oz sample gave this beer the exact same score as this review.

Cheers!

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 21, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Finally saw this brew at the store so I picked up a bomber of it, nice looking bottle. The brew poured to lighter golden color with a good sized white head that had both good retention and lacing. The aroma is somewhat complicated as I am picking a number of hop scents, floral, herbal and a slight lemon citrus. The malts come through as well and mix very perfect with the hops and I wonder if that is why I am getting some earthiness from the aroma as well. The flavors, well I really did not think that they could live up to the aroma but they do and then some. A very fresh clean taste, hops give it a nice bite and what I perceive as a lemon zest. I notice the hops the most but they are in no way dominate as I am picking up nice bread and biscuit flavor which mix perfectly well. Nice carbonation on this one, perfect accompaniment to everything else that is going on. Drinkability on this one is through the roof as it goes down so easy. While I usually feel that the brews from Sam Adams are fair to good, heck they where a gateway to good beer years ago for me, this one is simply excellent and a complete surprise. I know that this is a "spring" beer but this would be the perfect session brew while sitting on the deck in summer.

Stimack, Jan 21, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Crystal clear, light golden hue with a white head. Tons of carbonation rising within the glass. Leaves some spotty lacing behind and has decent retention.

S - Citric, slightly floral hop aromas as well as some slightly bready pale malts. Fairly mellow aroma.

T - Quite similar to the aroma, with some earthy, lemony hop flavors mingling with somewhat grainy and bready pale malt. Finish is crisp and clean. Overall, a well-done pils.

M - Light bodied with a crisp carbonation

D - Although Pilseners are far from my favorite style, this is really a solid example. Highly drinkable and refreshing with some nice, clean flavors. Good stuff.

GarrisWH, Jan 21, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

App: perfect color with chunky 1 finger head.

Smell: a touch of grainy maltiness. Dominated by fruity floral aroma. Sweet delicate citrus.

Taste: wonderful grainy maltiness. Citrusy hops flavor with a distinct bitterness. Ends with clean bitter and a husky malt on the sides of the palette. The hop character is delicious but a bit too sweet for me.

Light body with medium caebonation.

emsroth, Jan 20, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

01/20/10 served in a mug at a local casual dining resturant.

A clean and clear blonde blonde body is topped by a medium sized white head that settles fairly quickly for a Pils.

Aroma is very clean and bready on the malt. Hops seem very fresh with some subtle but pleasant green, grassy, herbal notes. Not as aromatic as the best of the style but still very nice.

Follows on the palate but unless my nose is off it has a good measure more flavor than aroma. Hops are really out front and are still very grassy, leafy and herbal, with a very slight spiciness and some dry bitterness in the aftertaste. Really a treat if you're a fan of the noble family of hops.

Light bodied and very drinkable. I had the first glass by itself so I could review but the second almost succeeded making my over salted appetizers palatable which is quite a feat.

One of the best Sam Adams beers yet in my opinion, possibly my favorite. Sometimes I wonder why self proclaimed hop heads chase IPA's and skip beers like this. While obviously not as bitter, sometimes a good Pils is a better showcase for the nuances of particular hop, or blend of hops. This beer is a good example of that.

berkey, Jan 20, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden yellow with a very small head which dissipates quickly. Decent lacing throughout. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Definitely reminds you of an American Pilsener done right. Slight hint of citrusy hops

Taste: Nice hoppiness up front with a good lemon zest flavor. A hint of bitterness throughout but nothing overwhelming. Aftertaste is very mild.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. I'm not really familiar with quality Pilsners but this was very good.

Overall: I would highly recommend this beer. I'm a fan of a lot of Samuel Adams beers and this one ranks near the top.

adam42381, Jan 20, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz bottle poured into an Otter Creek pint glass.

Appearance: Light golden body, 1 finger head, very carbonated.

Smell: Hops right off the bat. Lemon pinesol type aroma. Its nice.

Taste: Very big hop presence for your typical Sam Adams beer. Crisp, light, and refreshing. That's what a pilsner is supposed to be, right.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I'd be happy to session with this brew.

Side Notes: I'm not huge on most of the Sam Adams beers but this one really stood out. I'm very happy with what they did here. Jim is finally taking a step in the right direction.

travduke, Jan 20, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Poured into a snifter... starts with a light fizzy head that disappears relatively quickly. Beer is a crisp golden color with light activity

S- Bitter citrusy smell... light hop aroma

T- Very good choice as the new spring seasonal. Starts off bitter with some hints of citrus and hops. Clean refreshing finish

M- Light bodied, light/medium finish

D- Very. As I said before, a great addition to the Sam Seasonal line. Replaced probably the weakest of the seasonals with a very strong one IMO. Good call Jim!!

CHEERS!

bbeane, Jan 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

12oz. bottle into a Michelob Pilsener glass.

This, my friends, is a fine specimen. Crystal-clear body with a golden straw hue that positively radiates in the light. Several torrents of beady bubbles stream upwards to fuel a well-retained cap of eggshell head the consistency of lemon meringue. A satisfying aroma greets the nose, comprised of a clean, crackery pilsner malt base that adds a hint of sweetness, balanced by a green, fresh Noble hop profile. Minerals abound.

Each sip invites the next to come quicker than the one before. Bread crust and saltine crackers are crisp on the palate thanks to a lively carbonation level, while the hops kick up some zest across the sides of the tongue. Floral, grassy, and green, with a semi-musty aftertaste of mineral-rich soil; packs a light body without feeling watered-down in the slightest. German pilseners don't get much better than this. Noble Pils is an exceedingly solid entry into the Boston Beer Company portfolio, and a beer that comes highly recommended by yours truly.

wagenvolks, Jan 20, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

I was extremely surprised to find this small gem in my somewhat rural grocery store.

A: Golden straw color. Visible carbonation. Nice white lacing.

S: Clean lager smell with small but noticeable hop aroma.

T: Clean malty flavor. Hop aftertaste and bitterness hit at the end of the sip.

M: Crisp but ever so watery.

D: Very drinkable.

This might be my next beer evangelism tool! It has good hop flavor and finishes with a nice satisfying beer flavor that American adjunct lagers pretend to hint at. I am going to bring this to gatherings where BMC drinkers abound.

mattwjones, Jan 20, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Jan 19.2010
Many thanks to Mike H. of Arlington for the six pack...

a Poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet. this brew is Creystal clear and brigth straw yellow- amber. makes me think of champagne.

s: when I first smelled this I realized what this really is - it's a pilsner (DUH) what all the standard american macros... (wish they could be? are trying to be? ought to be?) This smells a LOT like budweiser to me

t: this is way better than the marcos...but it IS the same style. really a diferent take on beer to me after gettting used to american DIPA's
yes I understand the 5 noble hops but most are understated - as it warms, the hops hit the palate pretty well at first and linger with a pleasant warming bite. even pulls thru for a very repectable aftertaste.

m; lots of carbonation and not too much alcohol much better body than the macros

d: this is WAY drinkable. (if a bit watery compared to others)

this has been a real eye-opener for me.
WAY TO GO SAM ADMAMS - I call this a ROLE MODEL for those half-baked marcros!
( I guess I have a bit of latent resentment for all the years of drinking macros and not knowing any better)

burnerfinger, Jan 20, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle bought as part of a 12 pack. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Label says this is brewed with 5 types of noble hops, thus the name.

Appearance is clear golden and bubbly. No haze. Almost no head that recedes immediately into an almost unnoticable lacing. Aroma is grainy, first and foremost. Citrus hangs back here. A little dissappointing considering how the hops should be the star. The flavor profile does not match with the aroma at all. Here the hops stand out. Clean upfront, light maltiness balanced with nice citrus tones leads. Pine and citrus notes fade out into a nice bitter finish, but no overwhelming. What I really like here is that it is not only enjoyable for someone who really cares about beer but also has tremendous crossover appeal to everyday macro drinkers. I really cannot say that about many beers. Mouthfeel is crisp and light, which some nice, smooth oily feel overall. Drinkability really shines as well. Subtle flavoring, crisp mouthfeel, and manageable ABV make this reall sesionable in my opinion.

Overall, one of Sam Adams best. Only behind the Cream Stout and maybe the Black Lager for my favorite. Great crossover appeal. I actually prefer this to Prima Pils, the beer I think it will be most often compared to. Also makes for a great seasonal brew. Highly recommended.

Gosox8787, Jan 20, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Nice looking beer. Very clear on the pour with a decent head. Smells of a multi-blend of hops, grapefruity, but not overwhelming. Very clean finish, with very little aftertaste. Smooth and refreshing. Medium bodied and flower scented. A great summer-spring beer, that is highly sessionable.

bigdeuce, Jan 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Crystal clear golden color with a white fluffy head that fades quickly.

S: Smell is dominated by a floral aroma with a decent kick of lemon grass thrown in.

T: Lemon and floral notes jump out at first but fades to a crisp cracker flavor. Refreshing.

D: Very well made brew. I'm usually not that fond of pils but this is a welcome change.

rebel1771, Jan 20, 2010
Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)