Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,459 | Hads: 3,442
3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Pours a clear medium golden with a modest 1/2" dull white head which dies down quickly.

S: Very herbal, almost rosemary-y. Pils malt and a corn-like aroma.

T: Some pils and corn-like flavour. Leafy hops an a light residual bitterness with the corn flavour.

M: Medium light body with medium-high carbonation.

D: Really not what I was expecting. Corn flavour and lack of pilsener malt is discerning. Leaves something to be desired.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Served on-tap in a clear pint glass.

A: Clear golden with 1-finger nearly white, big-bubbled head with decent retention but no lacing.

S: Light grain, and the hops of the bottled version were nowhere to be found. I allowed some warming which helped a little but didn't make much difference.

T: A big disappointment when put up against the bottle too with a soft, pale malt sweetness with barely any of the roasted notes present in the bottled version. The hops are also muted and don't have nearly the character with only a bit of spice and not much sharpness.

M: Good medium-body with smooth creamy feel due to the active carbonation.

D: I'll go for the bottle again, but I will pass on the on-tap version in the future. I'm not sure if it is that beers in bars are frequently served too cold (maybe that was part of the muted taste in this brew), but this was a big disappointment as the bottled SA Noble Pils is one of my highest rated beers.

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

A-Pours a clear golden color with white, two finger head.

S-Lemon citrus zest with spicy noble hops and bit of light grain.

T- Typical grain notes upfront with some bitterness. This is followed by some more grain notes and a distracting lemon lime dryness that lingers on your palate.

M-Light bodied with a tongue-tingling effervescence.

D-I think I understand why everyone likes this so much, but the citrus aftertaste is really not what I'm looking for in a pils.

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a three-finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale amber/yellow color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is pine hops, flavor is also pine hops with no sweetness and a lingering bitter aftertaste. $1.69 for a 12oz bottle from Kappy's Fine Wine & Spirits Peabody, Ma.

3.01/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance: A light amber color, very bubbly beer with some head on the pour. Head sticks around a little while after the pour. This is very similiar to the description of a czech pilsner.

Smell: A hoppy pilsner smell to the beer with some floral aroma. Towards the end, it reminds me of budweiser. There is a spicy piece to the beer.

Taste: light on hops, grassy taste to this beer. The hops don't have a full well rounded effect that i remember them having from previous years. A tiny bit spicy, with some malty hints. I still taste hints of budweiser.

Mouthfeel: High carbonated beer with a medium to light thickness. Not a good combination. This is a sipping beer, not so much a chugging beer. Regardless it isn't balanced.

Overall: Not as good as i remember, but this is my base for pale beers.

on tap with dinner.
appearance: plain, not bad. Nothing special. Light, clear golden.
smell: some hops, a little spicy something. To be honest, not altogether pleasant.
taste: Not my 'cup o beer'. Nothing bad happening but nothing much happening. Even slightly on the down side for my taste.

Reviewed twice. I got the same rating (a C) from both reviews. They're included below.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired as part of a summer variety box purchased at a local Ralph's market. Served into a conical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; the marketing makes it seem like a pretty solid pilsener, and Sam Adams has some pretty good offerings (though often not in this format; I prefer the reserve series for truly great brews). Best before August 2012.

Not paired with food.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. I'm in a pilsener mood.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige head of slight cream, fair thickness, and average (~2 minute) retention. Colour is a transparent bright yellow. Very standard fare for a pilsener. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Predictable, but appealing.

Sm: Pilsener malts and noble hops. Much hoppier than most beers in the style I'm familiar with, but it works here and lends it a freshness. The hop character comes across as slightly floral, but not overly bitter or oily. No pine or citrus. Fresh and inviting, but far from exemplary. A clean mild strength aroma.

T: A full crisp barley body provides a nice clean base for the flavours. The noble hopping does well here, with impressive layering working within the simplicity of the style. It's effect and lends the beer a fresh quality that I fancy. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's a simple but efficient pilsener with an emphasis on drinkability. The hop aggression may be a bit overstated but the effect is an enjoyable one. Not complex or subtle, but that's not the aim. I like it.

Mf: Some underlying cream. Nicely crisp. Smooth and wet, suiting the style, but a bit overcarbonated - likely a result of Sam Adams' macrobrewing process. It's also a touch too think, lending it a somewhat lumpy character that doesn't suit the style. Complements the flavour profile in a general sense, but certainly doesn't feel tailored to it. Too smooth.

Dr: Quite drinkable yet simple. It's not a beer I'd get again in bottled form - though I do like it in a general sense. I might try it on draught; I assume it'd be better. It's an experimental take on the style, trading innovation for tradition, and luckily it works. A nice little affordable pilsener from one of the better macrobreweries.

High C

Sam Adams Noble Pils
Served from a 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap into a stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are slightly above average; I'm in the mood for a pils.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a ne finer beige head of okay cream, average thickness, and average retention. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Decent lacing. Colour is a transparent dull yellow. Meh.

Sm: Light citrusy floral hops (I presume noble...), clean malts, and barley. Generally appealing. Nothing unique or special. Moderate in strength.

T: Floral hopping atop a clean malted barley foundation with minimal cream and a bit of citrus zest. Not complex or subtle, but decently balanced and built for what it is. It's pleasant to drink but there's very little happening. Not unique or special. Somewhat refreshing. A pretty moderate strength taste. I certainly wouldn't call it bold. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It could use more cream as well as more body. Its simplicity holds it back and prevents a rounded flavour profile.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some coarseness on the climax - from the hops I guess. Somewhat sharp and slightly overcarbonated. Too thick for the lack of the body and diverse flavour.

Dr: Drinkable but unimpressive. I might get it again; it's a decent summer drinking beer. I wouldn't recommend it to friends. The pricing is fair. A decent little macrobrew, but nothing to get riled up about. Hides its modest ABV well, but that isn't difficult.

A poor candidate for aging.

Would pair well with buttered soft pretzels, bread, aggressively flavoured salads, and Swiss cheese.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils pours a golden yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I don't get much aroma. The flavor is hoppy (some grassy notes and some lemon or citrus like notes), but I just don't really care for it. I guess I prefer American style hops. This one just doesn't do it for me.

2.99/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured clear and golden. Head did not develop. Maybe a poor pour. Not much of a smell at all. Very faint grain smell. The hops are definitely the feature in this one. The hops immediately hit the palate, citrus notes, grassy. Finishes sharp and dry with somewhat bitter hops from start to finish. Mouthfeel is chalky and dry. I wish this beer was a little sweeter and more malty. The hops just overpower it and it never reaches it's potential and balance that I expect from this brewer. Not real drinkable for me. I can have one or two of these and my mouth craves malt. I do like it for some reason, but....

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Pours a light yellow with ample clarity, good 1" white head to it. A yeasty, lemon aromatic sense.

Taste, lots of carbonation, the noble hop seems fizzy with this amount of carbonation to it, doesn't really impart the typical hop mouthfeel, more gaseous and lemon. Good bitterness profile. Finishes dry, gritty at times.

Expensive for what it is.

2.98/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap today at Max's. I confess I was instantly worried when the bar tender laughed at me for ordering this, but then acknowledging that he could see where I might want to at least try it. Oh, oh.

The beer pours a solid gold color with OK head retention and some modest lacing. On the nose I get almost nothing, just a hint of pepper, earth and light honey. Really have to work to get any sort of aroma on this one. On the palate, crap.... I'm a big fan of pilsners, but this is not it. Jeeze Loueeze, this is unimpressive. The beer is very light. There is some flavor, but this beer is otherwise pretty watery, with minimal flavor. I get a bit of pepper, and a hint of sweet malt, but otherwise this beer is pretty damn flavorless. Mouthfeel is very light, and alcohol is almost undetectable.... but given how little flavor there is in this beer, who cares?

Well, there are no off flavors in this beer, which I guess is in its favor. Otherwise, why in the hell would I want to drink this when there are so many better (and I mean it's not even close) examples from Germany.

I don't hate SA, but too many beers like this one, and I could start.

Are there really people giving this beer an A grade? Amazing.

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

This is a hard beer to review just based on it's style. The Czech Pilsner can't hold too high of expectations but as opposed to most Sam Adam's beers being underflavored, this one goes the other way.
Aroma is a subtle floral hops. Not much but it's enough for a pleasant nose.
Not much for appearance. Sparkling golden color with a small white head.
Taste is slightly hoppy but seems to be balanced out with ome hay-type malt. Nice crisp bite to it. It's actually a pretty refreshing beer to drink.
Light body with a slick texture. Decent finish that lingers for awhile.

That being said, I'd much rather Sam stick to their White Ale for their Spring seasonal. I don't really love this beer but it's growing on me and you have to give Sam Adams some credit for doing something a little different.

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Crisp, pale yellow with a thick frothy head. Lacing is strong and thick.

Smell: Cherries, grapes and grassy notes at the forefront. Tanginess in the middle with a light overall odor

Taste: Grassy with a bitter middle. Overall, not much there.

Mouthfeel: Like a pilsner should be, light but present on the tongue. Probably the most redeeming quality of this beer.

Overall, I was unimpressed. I picked this up as part of Sam Adam's Summer Style 12 pack and this was the best. The taste was lacking for a beer boasting all of the Noble Hops. I'll let the uninitiated have all the Sam A's.

[Best served in a Footed Pilsner]

Poured a sparkling yellow with a small white fizzy head that disappeared rapidly and had virtually no lacing.The aroma was very, very light of a doughy malt, piney hops and some notes of citrus. It tasted mildly bitter in the beginning and ended with a very light bitter-sour flavor that had hints of citrus, although the flavor did disappear almost immediatley. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall a very light pilsner, might be nice after cutting the lawn on a hot day.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours average with intense carbonation. Nice white head quickly dissipates.

Body is a golden/light straw color (which to me was the best part of this beer.)

The nose wasnt there. I couldnt pick up any notes besides fresh cut grass.

The beer was nice crisp and bitter all the way through. Fresh and refreshing all the way through. However, I did pick up a weird cinnamon note in the finish, it kind of lingered in each swallow.

The mouthfeel wasnt nearly as delicate as I was hoping for. With all the carbonation it was along the lines of a "macro lager" style beer.

All in all this beer is very drinkable. Its priced right and it's worth a shot. Not exactly your typical pils by all means. I do suggest you come into this one with an open mind.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

A: straw in color and crystal clear. Head is fizzy and white, and quickly dissipates. the is plenty of lacing.

S: aroma is fairly prevalent, but is fairly simple, with limes being the one note.

T: very dry, but dominated by a lime flavor that leaves something to be desired.

M: thin body with plenty of carbonation. One of the better aspects of this brew.

D: I have always felt that American breweries tend to do a poor job with German styles, and this brew supports my generalization. It isn't a bad beer, but it isn't a good one either, and certainly not to style. There are a few other good examples of American pilsners out there, and I would recommend seeking them out instead of wasting resources on this one.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a tap at Chilis into a larger Perfect Pint glass.

A: A clear straw yellow color with one finger white head. Nice glass lacing.

S: Grainy, honey, biscuit, bread malt and some grassy notes. Where are my hops?

T: First sip yields grain flavors with some baked bread, honey, biscuit, and malt sweetness. I get some faint grassy hop tones (very faint) and some slight lemon zest. Finish remains on the sweet side with more grainy flavors. Pils? Really? Disappointing, it reminds me more of a helles lager (maybe even and adjunct) than a real pils. Where are the hops and bitterness?

M: Thin, no real powerful flavors and no bitterness to speak of.

O: Severely disappointed in this one. I will qualify it though as this beer is getting long in the tooth about now and for the restaurant to still have this on tap means it is not the freshest. Still, this was a huge let down.

I had this a year ago fresh from a bottle (need to re-review next year) and it was a solid pils. This however was more of a helles lager than it was a pils really lacking the signature pils bitterness and crispness. I will attribute this to age and hopefully next year I can have some fresh stuff. Note, I came home and tapped a fresh Victory Braumeister Pils from my home tap and they were eons apart. The Victory was ass kicking, the Noble was ass kicked. That's the difference. Hopefully next year.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Pilsner

A: It is an asparagus urine yellow color with great carbonation and good lacing, a warm yellow gold hue that is transparent throughout, vey common to the style but not as light as a Budlight or a thin lager.

S: There is a honey sweetness, a sugary grape fragrance to it, like a sweet cornbread, not a huge hoppy aroma, just predominately saccharine notes come through

T: Very refreshing, it has a doughiness to it, with a mild bread taste, like biting into a starchy piece of cornbread, sweet notes and the faintest bit of hops at the end to cap off the clean finish

M: The mouthfeel is crisp and light, washes clean over the tongue and teeth, ambling and begging to be drank faster as it leaves to real lingering impression

D: just a thin pilsner. you know what you are getting into. seriously.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow. Produces a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving some lacing.

S: Floral hops and the standard pilsener malts.

T: I feel deceived by the commercials and labeling as I expected more here. Definately tastes like a pilsener; however, not as good as an authentic german pilsener.

M: Light bodied, dry.

D: Easily drinkable. I didn't particularly care for this but could see how it would make a nice session beer for some.

2.91/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sam Adams – I’ve had a few of their brews, and I’ve never really been impressed with them. However, after a rather long radio advertisement and a recommendation from one of my buddies, I decided to give Noble Pils a shot. Here it goes:

A: The body is a thing of shining, golden beauty. The head is big and bold, but recedes quickly. I could literally stare at this beer for minutes at a time – it’s beautiful.

S: Lots of hops in the nose; they’re fruity and intense. This is what I would expect from a nice, hoppy craft brew.

T: Definitely not as good as the nose – wow, what a difference. The fruitiness is still there, in the form of light pear and apple; not very memorable, though, as it fades rather quickly. The wheats are satisfying at first, but it’s hard to miss the processed/sour taste. The hops are the saving grace here, taking a proper stance in the palate toward the finish. I loved the fact that there’s a nice hop character to this brew; this beer would have definitely been a complete bomb for me without it.

M: The carbonation is pretty typical; a bit of greasiness here and there, but overall, pretty average.

O: Well, this was just about what I expected from Sam Adams. It just has a feel that I don't think I'll ever be alright with: crude, non-natural. That’s not to say it was terrible, but I definitely won’t be going out of my way for this one. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

2.91/5  rDev -24.8%

Bottle date states its best before May.

Appearance: pours into my Ommegang glass a clear golden color with extremely fine bubbles rising from the bottom, an extremely thin coating on the surface of the beer as far as the head goes.

Smell: first to hit my nose is the aroma of a bitter citrus fruit, followed by the familiar smell I associate with a Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Taste: a bitter hops taste dominates this beer, then I get the typical pilsner flavor, then there is also a yeasty aftertaste that really hangs around for a while in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: a little watery, but still not bad.

Drinkability: it is nice to see a lighter style of beer use a good amount of hops in it, that said I would have liked for there to have been a more balanced hops taste rather than just achieving a bitter flavor in the brew, I cannot detect any significant piney or floral hop taste/smell and I would have preferred a mixture of these tastes. Overall still a good beer if your at a barbeque or enjoying the warm weather somewhere.

2.91/5  rDev -24.8%

I had this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clear gold, lots of carbonation, with a finger of white head. The retention and lacing are decent.

The aroma is super light, a little hops, a finish of lime, which is not cool, and lots of skunk.

The taste is also mostly skunky, only a bit of hops at the end.

This is just another micro in macro sheeps clothing. Boo Sam.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had the noble pils on draft a little while back and didn't care for it too much, but decided to get a 6'er to reconsider. I don't like the name, to the point of feeling dumb ordering it. Of course this is going to taste better and have more hop character than the mainstream "pilsners" but it has trouble competing with the likes of Prima Pils and even Penn Pilsner (full disclosure: drowning your sorrows in a Penn Pilsner at PNC Park on a nice night is, for my money, the ultimate pilsner experience). I might even trade it back in for the Spring Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Has a great amber/vanilla look with a very sustainable head when poured. Noticeable carbonation.

S: Not very distinguishable and rather mellow

T: Hints of almond and the carbonation really stood out.

M: Very dry and left a slight haze on the tongue. Not very pleasant after a while

D: Easy to drink partially due to its blandness yet can be a very good casual, session beer.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz. bottle. No bottled on date. Poured into a Boulevard tulip.

A - Typical golden lager color. Tall eggshell colored head recedes quickly. Very clear with a steady stream of bubbles rushing to the top.

S - Very minimal hop smell. Smells like what I imagine a lager with some lemon squeezed into it would be like.

T - The most minimal hop bite ever is present, but that's really all you can ask for considering this beer is a lager. Not heavy on the hops. Still, enjoyable nonetheless.

M - Mouthfeel retains itself well. I'd almost say it is a slightly resinous beer, which is a nice change of pace when everyone else around you seems to be drinking mass-marketed trill

Overall, it was a nice change of pace, but I would probably opt for an IPA myself. Still highly drinkable stuff, and in the case of being a pilsner it is a great beer.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils ---3/5

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)