Join our email list →

Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Czech Pilsener | 4.90% ABV

Beer added by: schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Noble Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,466 | Hads: 3,483
1.15/5  rDev -70.3%

I had this at a local Italian pizza shop.

This was very weak beer. The hops were barely there. It reminded me of Budweiser with a bitter blah-ness. It was just awful. I tried to like this beer. But Sam Adams is just putting names on stuff to make the beers sound like they may taste good. They failed here.

You want a good pilsner? Drink a Warsteiner.

Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Pours a golden straw colored body, with an average amount of pale head that quickly subsides to a thin layer. Getting a surprisingly nice amount of lacing from this.

S: The aromas I'm picking up on are primarily pepper, lemon rind, and a grassy hoppiness.

T: This is a wonderfully balanced Pilsner. Probably my favorite beneath Prima Pils. All of the hop varieties are integrated, and none dominate the other. For me, this has an initial bready malt character, followed by the mildness of Hallertau and Tettnang hops, then the back end it's a lot of spicy Saaz. Someone else mentioned the green tea flavor, and I'm definitely picking up on it.

M: Perfect carbonation that tickles your tongue, then washes around revealing a creamy slick hop character, and finishes dry. This is exactly what I want in a pilsner.

D: After being on a huge DIPA/IPA kick lately, it's refreshing in so many ways that I could drop back to a beer that had just the right amount of hops to satisfy that craving, but not the heaviness or the boozy alcohol content that leave me burpy and tired.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Not a pils fan but here we go the appearance is what i expected however a little bit more golden brown than I thought it would be the smell is much better than I thought with a nice citrus smell to it however the taste leaves something to be desired however I could drink quite a few without getting hammered

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%

the bev-mo guy said it wasn't worth it to buy but bought a 6-er anyway. been enjoying it. poured into my bruery tulip

a - nice looking golden/amberish color. clear w/ about a finger's head.

s - i dont really smell much. little malt and slight hop. but not too impressed w/ the aroma.

t - clean and crisp flavor. malt upfront with some bite at the end. very balanced. bready at the end.

m - pretty light good amount of carbonation. refreshing.

d - very easy to drink. can knock a few back easily. great pils.

1.9/5  rDev -50.9%

I was very disappointed with this beer. I was expecting something comparable to an Urquell; instead it was nothing more than a typical American pilsener-lager, along the lines of a Budweiser or Miller. There was very little in the nose except for some citrusy hops. One would think it would have quite an aroma considering they put five different hops in it. (Actually, I don't know why anyone would want to put so many different varieties in unless it's just a gimmick, which I suspect it is.) The appearance was rather pallid, though it had a good head. The mouth feel was extremely light, and the taste was hardly there, with very little malt to speak of. Though it was smooth, there really was no body, no smell, and no taste. I expected better from Sam Adams, but I guess this is what happens when a brewery starts to get too big.

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%

A - nice clear golden color with a nice bubbly white head.

S - bold hops smell, not like the citrus hops.

T - nice and crisp, with a balance hoppy finish.

M - crisp with some tingling in the mouth

O - a quality classic pilsner but with a twist of more hops. A good beer, I would buy it again.

3.61/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When this was a spring seasonal beer I thought it was about the best bottled pilsner I had ever had, including Czech beers *in* the Czech Republic.
That was a few years ago and now tasting the year round "Hopology Collection" version it seems to have lost its hoppy bite.
I'm a huge fan of the great draft Czech Pilsners available in that country and I wish there were some equally delicious ones here in the US.
Also this bottle says best by this month so it may be a few months old and have lost some hop bite. Overall it's good but I think it used to be better.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Just a quick "review". The 2011 version of this beer does NOT remind me of everything I loved about the 2010 seasonal. I can recall last year (the year noble Pils replaced SA's White as the spring seasonal) this beer blew me away with it's distinct flavor. An earthiness that I never was truly able to describe, but I certainly loved. Now, as I have tried several bottles of the 2011 release, I am wondering where all that flavor went.

The hop aroma is evident when I pop open a bottle, but the second I pour it into a glass, the aroma is gone, and I can't find any of that distinct hop flavor in the taste. And the "earthiness" I loved so much seems to be gone as well.

Anyone else notice a big difference this year?

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours average with intense carbonation. Nice white head quickly dissipates.

Body is a golden/light straw color (which to me was the best part of this beer.)

The nose wasnt there. I couldnt pick up any notes besides fresh cut grass.

The beer was nice crisp and bitter all the way through. Fresh and refreshing all the way through. However, I did pick up a weird cinnamon note in the finish, it kind of lingered in each swallow.

The mouthfeel wasnt nearly as delicate as I was hoping for. With all the carbonation it was along the lines of a "macro lager" style beer.

All in all this beer is very drinkable. Its priced right and it's worth a shot. Not exactly your typical pils by all means. I do suggest you come into this one with an open mind.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

A fore sure re-buy, I enjoyed this beer a lot. I have not had a wide variety of pilseners, but from what ive come to expect from them was a little different than what i got here. For me this beer had a nice hoppy flavor and great drink-ability, Another good entry from sammy

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz bottle.

This is a straw/golden pilsner, very typical for the style or just a bit yellower. The head is thin and lacy. Crystal clear.

The smell is muted, earthy or woody hops.

I can taste earthy, woody, herbal hop notes all the way through this. There is a pleasant bitterness in the front, and this changes over to alot of noble hops flavor. Just at the end is a faint maltiness that has been there all along.

Drinkability is very high. This should come in 30 racks (Just kidding but not really).

A little less floral than the 2010 version, and a little stronger on the woody/herbal notes.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

A little bit too much going on here, while the flavors are definitely citrusy and bold, this beer is honestly a little unbalanced and a little too bitter. It's pretty good compared to Boston Lager but I think putting all four noble hops into one beer, plus the one additional one that only Jim Koch knows about, might have been a little over kill. The beauty of using noble hops in brewing is that their flavors are distinct and clean, blending them diminishes overall quality immensely.

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color. There are subtle tints of orange. Nice lacing.

Smell: Potent touch of citrus. Earthy aroma with a hint of hops

Taste: Strong taste of grapefruit zest. Moderately sweet taste of malts that is offset by a subtle hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation makes for a crisp mouthfeel. The subtle hoppy bitterness and moderate acidity make for a refreshing and interesting Spring beer.

Drinkability: Extremely good drinkability. A beer that can appeal to everyone. Enough substance to appreciate but still maintains a good amount of drinkability.

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

Sam Adams has finally produced a masterpiece.

Perfectly balanced. Deliciously hopped with a great pilsener malt flavor and a dry, toasted finish.

Light bodied and not too carbonated.

The minute it hit my mouth I knew I had found a new favorite.

Well done!

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%

Had a big glass of this while waiting on a table at a local BBQ restaurant. The appearance was an exceptional golden color, and crystal clear. Aroma was a little on the weak side for a pils, but then I like Pilsner Urquell, so maybe not. Taste was semi sweet with nice hop spiciness up front, and a long piney finish. The hoppiness, while being very much a part of this beer, was not overly aggressive. For those who find Pilsner Urquell or some of the German Pils' overly aggressive on hops, this would be a more approachable one. Very smooth, very drinkable. I would rate this right up there with some of Germany's better pils.

4.01/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Served at 45 degrees.

(A): Pour created a very fizzy head with large bubbles that gave way unevenly to smaller ones. Within 2 minutes the head had disipated to a thin film with a good deal of lacing around the sides of the glass. Golden brown, maybe even orange in color. Crystal clear.

(S): Not very strong. Floral aromas right off with hints of fruit, but I got more melon than citrus.

(T): Great balance of flavor right off the bat; subtle sweetness, almost honey-like, with herbal hops. This followed immediately by a spicy, crisp hop flavor that lingers and fills the mouth. It finishes dry, but that spicy hop flavor remains, gradually, and slowly giving away to subtle bread flavors. More fruit appeared the longer I let it sit and open up. It really mellowed with some time giving even more balance to the finish.

(M): Crisp and carbonated, it fizzes on the palate and then expands with a full flavor throughout the mouth but remains light and not chewy.

(D): I really enjoy this beer. A little more hop than most of the big names in the style, but I think it is well-balanced and works; it makes it unique. A great Spring choice I think. Very enjoyable.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

I don't like Pilsner; but I like this one. Its now reaching 80 degrees every day in Southern California so I've had to grab something crisp and I thought I'd give this a try. It really is just a showcase for the hops, having made use of all five 'noble' varieties. Instantly reminds me of Sam Adams' Boston Lager but with a lot less malt character. I was really impressed by the mouthfeel on this beer, not thin or over carbonated, which is my biggest complaint about most pilsner, but still quite refreshing. If you're looking for something to please everyone that is still of high enough quality for beer snobs like us to enjoy, this would be a good choice.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

appearance - light gold

smell - citrus and grass

taste - same as smell

mouth feel - exceptional. slight carbonation.

overall - decent, and that's coming from someone that doesn't like hoppy beers. definitely worth a try. drink-ability is also excellent. very reminiscent of an ipa.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Noble Pils is the best Samuel Adams has to offer.

I only wish that it came more than once a year haha.

Noble Pils is a seasonal brew that has pronounced citrus taste fitting for spring. Grassy, tea flavors followed by the sweet, pale malts.

Bubbly and smooth it is very drinkable and very refreshing! It is a must try for seasonal brew fanatics and it really should be made all year... hey i can hope right?

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

On-tap at K Restaurant, Orlando

A - Pours a beautiful deep gold, reminiscent of a Belgian strong pale. Lively head leaves a sufficient lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Earthy, grassy hops. Faint bready, biscuity sweetness rounds out the back, but this is overwhelmingly a hop-forward beer. The noble hops are very evident with the slightly dank, pungent bitterness very different from American varietals.

T - Crisp hops greet the palate first. Citrus, grass, dank. Peppery and pleasantly spicy hop finish as expected from noble hops. Faint sugary sweetness on the back of the tongue prevents it from being over the top. A pretty good example of the style, compared to most imported Euro pils.

M - This starts off great but gets noticeable prickly after having a few -- not terrible, but I'd prefer it to perhaps be SLIGHTLY toned back. Consistency is on point for the style.

D - This is where this beer really shines! I could see myself drinking six of these at a barbeque or at the beach, no problem. The light character combined with the refreshing hoppiness would be great on a warm summer day.

A worthy competitor to some of the more expensive imports, and available fresh nearly everywhere. For $7-8 a sixer, it's definitely worth serious consideration.

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Approachable, golden appearance; with a quick, white, vanishing head.

Smells open, citrus, a little grassy.

Slight citrus tase, crisp carbonation feel, almost grapefruit tone, hoppy finish, but no surprising kick. Not as hoppy as labeled.

Easy to have several of these. Well done. As advertised, reminds me of Spring.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Has a great amber/vanilla look with a very sustainable head when poured. Noticeable carbonation.

S: Not very distinguishable and rather mellow

T: Hints of almond and the carbonation really stood out.

M: Very dry and left a slight haze on the tongue. Not very pleasant after a while

D: Easy to drink partially due to its blandness yet can be a very good casual, session beer.

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%

This is probably the most beautiful beer I have ever poured into a glass!

I love the brilliantly white foamy two finger head. The beer underneath is a perfectly clear golden color.

It looks like something right out of a beer commercial, only better.

The taste is mildly aggressive upfront hops, but not over done. It has a "snappy" feel on the tongue as it goes down and finishes dry and hoppy.

This is the most clean looking and feeling beer I remember drinking. It is quite drinkable as a session beer.

2.36/5  rDev -39%

my cousin turned me on to this.it took a year to try it.

served in an english pint glass chilled.

appearance: light gold medium high carbonation

aroma: light hops and a typical lager

mouthfeel: high carbonation and the promised hop are missing in action

finish: an aftertaste that has low to no malt and again no hops

overall: I would not try this again,maybe it is because i am not a lager fanatic

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

A. looks like a standard straw yellow carbonated beer. light fluffy head and decent lacing. nothing special

S. hoppy, floral, sweet smell.

T. now i can taste the hops. very mellow on the tongue. almost a light Pale Ale. kinda sweet but refreshing.

M. carbonation isnt overbearing. smooth. light. it is January and makes me feel like May, it's that refreshing

D. i could drink this at a party all night or just hang out with my girl and BBQ steak and have 2. maybe in May

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)