Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series)

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Duhast500 on 02-24-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A friend of mine brought over a bottle of Samuel Adams Wee Heavy to share. I don't think I've had this one before, but I'm always down to try a new Wee Heavy, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes a little with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice mahogany color that took on some slight crimson edges when held to the light with a finger and a half of tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up with the caramel malts coming through nicely and it moves right into a a lighter amount of a medium smokey peat aroma. Up next comes the dark fruit which are nice and no single fruit sticks out the most and there's just a slight alcohol like aroma coming through in the background. This beer had a good aroma, it seemed to have nice balance.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they still impart those nice caramel malt aspects and this time they are followed by the dark fruits which are just a little lighter than they were in the aroma with still no single fruit sticking out the most. Up next comes the smoke which has a nice smoked peat flavors to it and it shows up just a little more than it did in the aroma and it carries into the aftertaste with pretty much no bitterness, a slight alcohol and some caramel malt and light dark fruits also showing up. This was a good tasting beer, I liked the complexity the smoke malt added.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and it was a good example of a Wee Heavy, it took the non traditional smoked malt aspect and I didn't mind that, in that aspect it seemed to be pretty similar to Dark Horse's Scotty Karate. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one would be the perfect amount for me, but I wouldn't rule out drinking two, but that would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the complexity, it was fairly complex for the style and I liked that. What I liked the least about this beer was that the body just wasn't a little thicker, but in the end that wasn't a big deal. I would buy this beer again and I would't mind seeing how it ages. I would recommend giving this a try if your a fan of the style, especially if you like the Wee Heavys with smoked malts. All in all I was happy with this beer and i think it might be one of the best beers from this series that I've had. It's not my favorite Sam Adams beer or my favorite Wee Heavy, but I would say it's just a notch under Scotty Karate. Nice job guys this, was a good beer, keep up the solid work.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)