Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series)

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Duhast500 on 02-24-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) Alström Bros

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

2.1/5  rDev -42.8%

Picked up a 12oz bottle at Total Wine for $2.99.

I poured it into a tulip glass. It was a dark mahogany brown with a thick light brown bubbly head.

The smell was not strong - it had smoke and malts typical to the style.

I was very surprised upon my first sip. It had a dominant medicinal taste with smokey notes below. It was medium bodied and not as thick as I would have expected. There was an alcohol warmth on the back half of the finish and had a very boozy quality.

I don't know if I had a bad bottle, but it really had an unpleasant medicinal taste. I hoped it would improve as it warmed a bit but just the opposite. I ended up pouring almost half down the drain.

I am really surprised at this. Probably my favorite Sam Adams offering is the Scotch Ale so I don't know how this sibling could have been so off.

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured into a pint glass with very little head. Very dark brown with a constant light stream of bubbles. It seems more mellow than stout at first. Smell is very unique-coffee, vanilla and chocolate mixed. Smooth on your tongue, sweet with a coffee-like aftertaste that become syrupy. After a couple gulps, the sweetness and the increased alcohol content are not pleasing.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.33/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a layer of beige head. Color is a dark caramel copper brown.

Aroma: peat, caramel, chocolate, and lots of malt. Some smoky flavors.

Taste: Huge peat and smoked flavors. Very roasted. Chocolate, caramel, and some vanilla. Lots of malts.

Mouthfeel: Smoky and roasted. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of clean, but really malty.

Overall, the smoke and peat overpowered this one. Not so drinkable. I wasn’t a big fan and dumped this one.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Nice dark beer, with tinge of red against light. A small, cafe-colored head. Just meh ...

S- Nice, smoky, roasted malt. A bit of alcohol astringency.

T- Sweet, then a really strong licorice and smoky flavor ... really strong. I don't like either flavor really so ...

M- Pretty thick with evident carb. Some bitter feel.

O- When I review I judge in the order they appear here and then add in any notes I notice as I finish he beer ... After my first taste I was reluctant to try it again for mouthfeel. That flavor was just way too much much of two things I don't enjoy in a beer. Was a drain pour for me ...

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)