Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

to view more.
Ratings: 3,360 | Reviews: 1,019
3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

L:
-Pours a clear deep amber with a medium-large foamy beige head
-medium carbonation visible
S:
-Grass,Caramel,Bread,Orange zest
T:
-Follows the nose plus grapefruit and a resiny note
F:
-medium-full bodied,medium-high carbonation
O:
Reminds me of an einglish-style IPA though a bit more hoppy

2.94/5  rDev -17.4%

From the bottle at a party. No assessment of appearance. Aromas were floral, hop resin, orange zest. Flavors were bitter grassy hops, dinner roll, grapefruit rind. Oily mouthfeel, medium bodied, bitter finish.

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer is ok but rather bland for an IPA

Part of the Hop Tour 6 Pack

A clear dark amber color, with almost no head and mild lacing around the edges.

This is slightly dank and resinous, leaving a little of that sticky hop taste on your tongue. Lots of complex hop character going on, but will very little malt backbone to accentuate. This is all about the hops.

Overall, pretty good. This is the type of IPA that someone would like if you wish for a more complex hop forward IPA.

Probably will not seek out and purchase again. Would drink if available though. This was a nice study of different hop beers (hop tour 6 pack), but there are better options out there for an IPA.

4.34/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Decent brew from SA...I prefer this over Rebel IPA.Best Samuel Adams I've had so far.

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Another mediocre Sam Adams IPA

2.64/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Really overly bitter from what I remember, I actually threw up and I drink IIPA's. Not a balanced beer at all. Blaghhhh.

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I like this, but I don't buy it consistently. I usually opt for the lager or the Rebel IPA throughout the year and this, when I can find it, in the summer. It is clean, bright and flavorful, yet I often crave a deeper, more biting bitterness and will opt for the rebel IPA in it's place. I like to vary my IPA's so as not to burn out on their taste. This fits in well when rotated with the other Sam Adams products mentioned.

2.13/5  rDev -40.2%

expected a lot more from SA

One of the absolute worst beers I have ever tried!!! ...bought a sixer to try it & didn't even finishish the first of one! Threw the rest out & literally vomited about 15 min. after the last sip from the NASTY metallic aftertaste. It was like I was sucking on a nail for a couple of hours!!! I like some of Sam's other offerings, but this one is pure SHIT!!!

Pours a nice deep orange. Mildly carbonated. Not too much on the nose, which is a bit disappointing. I liked to be punched in the face with hop aroma from my IPAs. Tastes of a variety of different hops. Resiny at first, followed by a bit of pine. Tastes a bit like an English IPA. Overall not bad.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: clear; bronze colored; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly with nice lacing;

S: earthy, with a bit of pine in the background;

T: restrained; earthiness is really all I get; mild bitterness on finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: bottle was at the end of its "drink by" period, so hops may have faded;

Ehhh...ok i guess

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a Tulip glass.

A: Clear, Dark copper. 2 finger off-white head that sticks around for a bit and leaves a small layer of foam on top.
S: Lots of pine with hints of blueberry. Not as much citrus aroma.
T: Decent Bitterness up front with flavors of grapefruit and resiny pine. Malt prescence is there, but is dominated by the oily hop flavor.
M: Medium body. Slightly oily. Leaves a mild bitter aftertaste.
O: Not a bad IPA, and is a bit more balanced than some West-Coast counterparts. Reasonably priced, and is usually sold in some samplers if you just wanted to try a few. Would try again.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Picked it up on a whim at a local convenience store, and it isn't bad. It's a bit more bitter than what I expected, but otherwise it has solid flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Thought this was one of the better Sam Adams beers I have had. Pored a nice deep orange color with an awesome head, white and foamy. Smells of oine and some citrus. Hop flavor is bold and awesomely balanced (I believe 5 different hops in this one). Even though the hops is dominant, there is still a touch of malt sweetness to balance. I loved it !!!!!

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

From notes on 11/4/13

Pretty good well balanced brew. Lots of hop flavor, but not too bitter. You still get the flavor of a Sam Adams at the end.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz bottle from the "Hopology" sampler. Pours amber in color with a very foamy head. According to the label it has 5 types of hops, so I was expecting that to dominate the taste buds. It does. At this point I wanted to reconcile the bitterness to some kind of sweet or citrus flavor, but I found some caramel, grass, and malt instead. It was a notch above okay due to the complexity of the hops, but I'm not sure this is a beer I would drink again.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Didn't expect much from Sam Adams since most of their beers are mediocre at best, but I was impressed with this one. Pours a nice deep reddish amber with good lacing. Nice piney citrus aroma. The tastes are of malty sweetness, citrus and hop bitterness though not intense. I normally go for the high ibu ipas, but the balance between the hoppiness and maltyness in this one makes up for the lack of intense bitterness. Somehow it works. Nice job Sam Adams!

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

A nice IPA from SA. The color is a dark yellow with a white head that trails the glass. The smell is full of citrus from the hops. The taste was full of pine and grapefruit and really made an effort to make sure the hops were the central point of this brew. I actually thought it was very good. Nice mouthfeel made for an overall very nice IPA that I'll probably get again soon.

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not a fan of IPAs in general and this beer does not stand out.

4.17/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Deep clear amber. Two inch head with excellent retention. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus, pine, and sweet malt.

T - Citrus, honey, malt,and pine.

M - Medium

O - My favorite from the Hopology Collection. A perfect balance of sweetness and hops without the nasty bitterness. I highly recommend this brew.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

I really like this offering by Sam Adams. I generally like their Boston Lager as far as somewhat mass-market beers go. I think that on the whole they've managed to be a very solidly good company despite their size. This is my first venture into the less-common brews that Sam Adams puts out. I've previously had their Boston Lager and their Summer Ale - both of which I enjoy.

The Latitude 48 has everything I want in an IPA. It's taste is slightly (but not overwhelmingly) bitter, and it goes down easily. It has a pleasant deep amber color and a nice head when poured into a glass. The mouthfeel is smooth, and it doesn't go down heavy like some IPAs (which, don't get me wrong, I like a lot, but just not all the time).

On the whole, I'd recommend the Latitude 48 IPA as a good, not too complex, easily drinkable IPA. It's a perfect beer for the summer, and I'll be getting more soon.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A sixer shared with a good friend of mine.

A: Light amber with moderate head and retention.

S: Mild hop malt and citrus.

T: Same as the smell. Well balanced.

M: Smooth with mild bite. Refreshing.

O: Like most Sam IPA's, it a good starter, but not intense or very complex. Decent.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 12 pack of the Latitude 48 deconstructed series and this was the last one for me to try. Pretty good looking beer with some IPA nose. Decent taste, probably the best one of the series but not great. Overall a reasonable beer but not one I will be going out of my way to get again, but one I would drink if offered.

to view more.
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)