Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: JoeyBeerBelly on 04-02-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,019 | Hads: 3,397
3.42/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Semi-deep orange-amber color. mild head. Not much lacing. Good carbonation. Delightful hop smell. Very consistent 'Sam' flavor . Compared to a regular Sam, it has less pine and more citrus zest (but nothing overwhelming). Makes taste buds on all sides of my tongue dance. A little chalky in the throat. A good beer though. (331 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer is my Go-to IPA. Out of all of the Samuel Adam's IPA's, this one is the best. It has citrus on top of citrus, like freshly squeezed grapefruit. And the ABV is there, as well. It's a great sit at home IPA. (214 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

I love Sam Adams and I tried this one a while ago, but didn’t get around to reviewing it. I found a fresh batch that I wanted to try again and to review so let’s take a look. It has a mild, but respectable 6.0% ABV with 60 IBUs. The name is derived from the “hop belt” which is largely centered around the 48th Parallel and this variety features the Mosaic hops from the Pacific Northwest which give it a distinctive citrus hoppy component. There are several other hops in this variety as well.

Look-I served chilled and fresh into a tall glass and pours a very clear amber color with a reddish copper hue in the right light. The head is one finger thick and frothy which soon settles down into a thin film.

Smell-It has a bready malt backbone freckled with noticeable citrus hops which come through nicely.

Taste-It has the same nice bready malt flavor that the nose picked up, but also had a noticeable honey overtone to it as well. You all know how nicely honey plays with citrus so this is delicious. That was a pleasant surprise. Then I get orange zest, lemon peel, tangerine, and some grassy hops that show up later on with the delayed release of carbonation which dances simultaneously with the hops. The alcohol is mild and bites the citrus at the end.

Mouthfeel-It has a smooth medium-bodied feel with a delayed release of the respectable levels of carbonation. It leaves a lingering, but fine-tuned coating on the tongue composed of the hop resins and a slight citrus tinge from the hops.

Overall-Lending to the presence of the Mosiac hops, I recognize a mild West Coast Style IPA aspect to this brew. It is crisp, finishes clean, and is not too hoppy. Although I am a hop head, it is nice sometimes for something more realistic and mild for those long rainy days. Great job, Sam Adams! (1,811 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured brilliant copper amber liquid into a 19 oz. Spiegelau glass, kicking up a 1” frothy white foam collar that produces thin lace.
S: Big grass scented with pine, spice, and earthiness over a trace of biscuit and fresh grains that is apparent from a few feet away.
T: A rich malt attack introduces a wave of hop flavors that suggest fresh mown grass and pine. Moderately high hop bitterness. Hop forward but well balanced by the malt with a slight sweetness on the finish.
F: Very creamy smooth, medium full body, medium low carbonation.
O: The brewery has done a marvelous job developing the hop flavors and achieving a balance between the different hop varieties. (678 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours an amber/copper color with about a quarter inch of off white head that disappears leaving a layer of lacing on the top of the beer.

S: Carmel and piney aroma.

T: Similar to the smell, but the citrus hop bitterness comes out more in the flavor

M: Medium bodied beer with average carbonation

Overall, this is a decent beer. It's not my favorite, but I do rather enjoy it. (383 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -30.6%

Copper color, nice head, decent lacing. But from there it was all downhill. I am starting to wonder if I got a stale beer. I did not enjoy it at all, and i am an IPA fan. This beer does not seem to be in the same category as lagunitas, stone, Sierra Nevada, founders, New Belgium IPAs. I thought it tasted like a brown ale. I'm all about earthy, but this beer simply tasted dirty. (381 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Look:
-Nice Light
-Flowy
-Golden
-Slight to no head retention

Smell:
-Heavy Hops
-Earthy
-Citrus on the back end

Taste:
-Bitter
-lasting back end
-Earthy/Dirt

Mouth Feel:
-Light moves to heavy
-No carbonation
-Hangs around
-Dirt, dirt, dirt (245 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

L:
-Pours a clear deep amber with a medium-large foamy beige head
-medium carbonation visible
S:
-Grass,Caramel,Bread,Orange zest
T:
-Follows the nose plus grapefruit and a resiny note
F:
-medium-full bodied,medium-high carbonation
O:
Reminds me of an einglish-style IPA though a bit more hoppy (294 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -20.3%

From the bottle at a party. No assessment of appearance. Aromas were floral, hop resin, orange zest. Flavors were bitter grassy hops, dinner roll, grapefruit rind. Oily mouthfeel, medium bodied, bitter finish. (209 characters)

Part of the Hop Tour 6 Pack

A clear dark amber color, with almost no head and mild lacing around the edges.

This is slightly dank and resinous, leaving a little of that sticky hop taste on your tongue. Lots of complex hop character going on, but will very little malt backbone to accentuate. This is all about the hops.

Overall, pretty good. This is the type of IPA that someone would like if you wish for a more complex hop forward IPA.

Probably will not seek out and purchase again. Would drink if available though. This was a nice study of different hop beers (hop tour 6 pack), but there are better options out there for an IPA. (637 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I like this, but I don't buy it consistently. I usually opt for the lager or the Rebel IPA throughout the year and this, when I can find it, in the summer. It is clean, bright and flavorful, yet I often crave a deeper, more biting bitterness and will opt for the rebel IPA in it's place. I like to vary my IPA's so as not to burn out on their taste. This fits in well when rotated with the other Sam Adams products mentioned. (425 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I really don't mind this beer. It's not not truely great, but it is my no means bad. Very drinkable and should not be ignored simply because it says Sam Adams. (159 characters)

One of the absolute worst beers I have ever tried!!! ...bought a sixer to try it & didn't even finishish the first of one! Threw the rest out & literally vomited about 15 min. after the last sip from the NASTY metallic aftertaste. It was like I was sucking on a nail for a couple of hours!!! I like some of Sam's other offerings, but this one is pure SHIT!!! (358 characters)

Pours a nice deep orange. Mildly carbonated. Not too much on the nose, which is a bit disappointing. I liked to be punched in the face with hop aroma from my IPAs. Tastes of a variety of different hops. Resiny at first, followed by a bit of pine. Tastes a bit like an English IPA. Overall not bad. (298 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: clear; bronze colored; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly with nice lacing;

S: earthy, with a bit of pine in the background;

T: restrained; earthiness is really all I get; mild bitterness on finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: bottle was at the end of its "drink by" period, so hops may have faded; (329 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a Tulip glass.

A: Clear, Dark copper. 2 finger off-white head that sticks around for a bit and leaves a small layer of foam on top.
S: Lots of pine with hints of blueberry. Not as much citrus aroma.
T: Decent Bitterness up front with flavors of grapefruit and resiny pine. Malt prescence is there, but is dominated by the oily hop flavor.
M: Medium body. Slightly oily. Leaves a mild bitter aftertaste.
O: Not a bad IPA, and is a bit more balanced than some West-Coast counterparts. Reasonably priced, and is usually sold in some samplers if you just wanted to try a few. Would try again. (618 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Picked it up on a whim at a local convenience store, and it isn't bad. It's a bit more bitter than what I expected, but otherwise it has solid flavor. (150 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Thought this was one of the better Sam Adams beers I have had. Pored a nice deep orange color with an awesome head, white and foamy. Smells of oine and some citrus. Hop flavor is bold and awesomely balanced (I believe 5 different hops in this one). Even though the hops is dominant, there is still a touch of malt sweetness to balance. I loved it !!!!! (352 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz bottle from the "Hopology" sampler. Pours amber in color with a very foamy head. According to the label it has 5 types of hops, so I was expecting that to dominate the taste buds. It does. At this point I wanted to reconcile the bitterness to some kind of sweet or citrus flavor, but I found some caramel, grass, and malt instead. It was a notch above okay due to the complexity of the hops, but I'm not sure this is a beer I would drink again. (457 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Didn't expect much from Sam Adams since most of their beers are mediocre at best, but I was impressed with this one. Pours a nice deep reddish amber with good lacing. Nice piney citrus aroma. The tastes are of malty sweetness, citrus and hop bitterness though not intense. I normally go for the high ibu ipas, but the balance between the hoppiness and maltyness in this one makes up for the lack of intense bitterness. Somehow it works. Nice job Sam Adams! (459 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

A nice IPA from SA. The color is a dark yellow with a white head that trails the glass. The smell is full of citrus from the hops. The taste was full of pine and grapefruit and really made an effort to make sure the hops were the central point of this brew. I actually thought it was very good. Nice mouthfeel made for an overall very nice IPA that I'll probably get again soon. (379 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Deep clear amber. Two inch head with excellent retention. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus, pine, and sweet malt.

T - Citrus, honey, malt,and pine.

M - Medium

O - My favorite from the Hopology Collection. A perfect balance of sweetness and hops without the nasty bitterness. I highly recommend this brew. (344 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

I really like this offering by Sam Adams. I generally like their Boston Lager as far as somewhat mass-market beers go. I think that on the whole they've managed to be a very solidly good company despite their size. This is my first venture into the less-common brews that Sam Adams puts out. I've previously had their Boston Lager and their Summer Ale - both of which I enjoy.

The Latitude 48 has everything I want in an IPA. It's taste is slightly (but not overwhelmingly) bitter, and it goes down easily. It has a pleasant deep amber color and a nice head when poured into a glass. The mouthfeel is smooth, and it doesn't go down heavy like some IPAs (which, don't get me wrong, I like a lot, but just not all the time).

On the whole, I'd recommend the Latitude 48 IPA as a good, not too complex, easily drinkable IPA. It's a perfect beer for the summer, and I'll be getting more soon. (889 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

A sixer shared with a good friend of mine.

A: Light amber with moderate head and retention.

S: Mild hop malt and citrus.

T: Same as the smell. Well balanced.

M: Smooth with mild bite. Refreshing.

O: Like most Sam IPA's, it a good starter, but not intense or very complex. Decent. (284 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 12 pack of the Latitude 48 deconstructed series and this was the last one for me to try. Pretty good looking beer with some IPA nose. Decent taste, probably the best one of the series but not great. Overall a reasonable beer but not one I will be going out of my way to get again, but one I would drink if offered. (326 characters)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)