Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: JoeyBeerBelly on 04-02-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,019 | Hads: 3,398
4.57/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I like this, but I don't buy it consistently. I usually opt for the lager or the Rebel IPA throughout the year and this, when I can find it, in the summer. It is clean, bright and flavorful, yet I often crave a deeper, more biting bitterness and will opt for the rebel IPA in it's place. I like to vary my IPA's so as not to burn out on their taste. This fits in well when rotated with the other Sam Adams products mentioned. (425 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I really don't mind this beer. It's not not truely great, but it is my no means bad. Very drinkable and should not be ignored simply because it says Sam Adams. (159 characters)

One of the absolute worst beers I have ever tried!!! ...bought a sixer to try it & didn't even finishish the first of one! Threw the rest out & literally vomited about 15 min. after the last sip from the NASTY metallic aftertaste. It was like I was sucking on a nail for a couple of hours!!! I like some of Sam's other offerings, but this one is pure SHIT!!! (358 characters)

Pours a nice deep orange. Mildly carbonated. Not too much on the nose, which is a bit disappointing. I liked to be punched in the face with hop aroma from my IPAs. Tastes of a variety of different hops. Resiny at first, followed by a bit of pine. Tastes a bit like an English IPA. Overall not bad. (298 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: clear; bronze colored; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly with nice lacing;

S: earthy, with a bit of pine in the background;

T: restrained; earthiness is really all I get; mild bitterness on finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: bottle was at the end of its "drink by" period, so hops may have faded; (329 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a Tulip glass.

A: Clear, Dark copper. 2 finger off-white head that sticks around for a bit and leaves a small layer of foam on top.
S: Lots of pine with hints of blueberry. Not as much citrus aroma.
T: Decent Bitterness up front with flavors of grapefruit and resiny pine. Malt prescence is there, but is dominated by the oily hop flavor.
M: Medium body. Slightly oily. Leaves a mild bitter aftertaste.
O: Not a bad IPA, and is a bit more balanced than some West-Coast counterparts. Reasonably priced, and is usually sold in some samplers if you just wanted to try a few. Would try again. (618 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Picked it up on a whim at a local convenience store, and it isn't bad. It's a bit more bitter than what I expected, but otherwise it has solid flavor. (150 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Thought this was one of the better Sam Adams beers I have had. Pored a nice deep orange color with an awesome head, white and foamy. Smells of oine and some citrus. Hop flavor is bold and awesomely balanced (I believe 5 different hops in this one). Even though the hops is dominant, there is still a touch of malt sweetness to balance. I loved it !!!!! (352 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz bottle from the "Hopology" sampler. Pours amber in color with a very foamy head. According to the label it has 5 types of hops, so I was expecting that to dominate the taste buds. It does. At this point I wanted to reconcile the bitterness to some kind of sweet or citrus flavor, but I found some caramel, grass, and malt instead. It was a notch above okay due to the complexity of the hops, but I'm not sure this is a beer I would drink again. (457 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Didn't expect much from Sam Adams since most of their beers are mediocre at best, but I was impressed with this one. Pours a nice deep reddish amber with good lacing. Nice piney citrus aroma. The tastes are of malty sweetness, citrus and hop bitterness though not intense. I normally go for the high ibu ipas, but the balance between the hoppiness and maltyness in this one makes up for the lack of intense bitterness. Somehow it works. Nice job Sam Adams! (459 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

A nice IPA from SA. The color is a dark yellow with a white head that trails the glass. The smell is full of citrus from the hops. The taste was full of pine and grapefruit and really made an effort to make sure the hops were the central point of this brew. I actually thought it was very good. Nice mouthfeel made for an overall very nice IPA that I'll probably get again soon. (379 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Deep clear amber. Two inch head with excellent retention. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus, pine, and sweet malt.

T - Citrus, honey, malt,and pine.

M - Medium

O - My favorite from the Hopology Collection. A perfect balance of sweetness and hops without the nasty bitterness. I highly recommend this brew. (344 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

I really like this offering by Sam Adams. I generally like their Boston Lager as far as somewhat mass-market beers go. I think that on the whole they've managed to be a very solidly good company despite their size. This is my first venture into the less-common brews that Sam Adams puts out. I've previously had their Boston Lager and their Summer Ale - both of which I enjoy.

The Latitude 48 has everything I want in an IPA. It's taste is slightly (but not overwhelmingly) bitter, and it goes down easily. It has a pleasant deep amber color and a nice head when poured into a glass. The mouthfeel is smooth, and it doesn't go down heavy like some IPAs (which, don't get me wrong, I like a lot, but just not all the time).

On the whole, I'd recommend the Latitude 48 IPA as a good, not too complex, easily drinkable IPA. It's a perfect beer for the summer, and I'll be getting more soon. (889 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

A sixer shared with a good friend of mine.

A: Light amber with moderate head and retention.

S: Mild hop malt and citrus.

T: Same as the smell. Well balanced.

M: Smooth with mild bite. Refreshing.

O: Like most Sam IPA's, it a good starter, but not intense or very complex. Decent. (284 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 12 pack of the Latitude 48 deconstructed series and this was the last one for me to try. Pretty good looking beer with some IPA nose. Decent taste, probably the best one of the series but not great. Overall a reasonable beer but not one I will be going out of my way to get again, but one I would drink if offered. (326 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -40.4%

Blah Blah Blah the same two paragraph response from amateur dictionary readers.
This beer gave me a headache. It tastes like lemon mixed with cigarette butts

Not worth the try.
I think I've said a "mouthfeel" and the "taste" will not leave my poor head! (255 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Clear medium amber pour with a nice dark ruby cast. Massive head with excellent retention. Very nice nose of both tropical, which is the primary, and pine hops over a caramel sweetness. Medium bodied with a slick, almost creamy, mouthfeel. Average carbonation level with a touch of effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is quite nice, balanced, complex and hop forward. It begins with a rather unique blend of hop flavor - typical American citrus over the EKGs. Sort of an IPA and ESB cross. This flows into a mild bitterness which is grapefruit and EKG in nature. On the finish, tropical hop flavor takes the forefront over a slight sweetness. As it fades, orange is noted. (684 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: 355 mL bottle

For the first time in my life, I spotted something from Samuel Adams other than Boston Lager at my local liquor store. Based on my experiences with Boston Lager, I felt obliged to give Latitude 48 a try.

A- Pours a sexy amber color that is typical of an IPA . Beautiful 1 1/2 finger head that lasted throughout the duration of the drink.

S- Not as upfront as I was expecting but it was quite nice nonetheless. The smell is very floral and citrusy; they definitely got the aromatic hopping right on this brew.

T- Compared to the smell, the taste is entirely out of this world! This brew is incredibly smooth and the hopping is absolutely perfect. It definitely doesn't get much better than this one when it comes to IPA.

M- Low-Medium carbonation that is perfect for this beer. 100% Sessionable.

O- Is Latitude 48 my new favorite IPA? Most definitely. Should everyone try this? Most definitely. Two thumbs up, Sam Adams! (956 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

355 mL bottle from a six-pack picked up at the LCBO; best before March 2015.

Pours a clear, orange-amber colour, topped at first with nearly two fingers of frothy, billowing off-white head that wilts gradually over a period of minutes. A modest cap results, with a web of delicate, sticky lacing on the glass. Pleasant aroma, but it offers nothing unique for the style - caramel malts, pine and some citrusy hop notes.

Nothing wrong with this one, but at the same time nothing about this IPA is really grabbing my attention. Caramel malts and toffee provide some sweetness, but the malt backbone is soon overshadowed by the hops. Somewhat floral, with citrusy grapefruit and a touch of spicy pine resin. Nice bitterness in the finish that lingers briefly. Medium-bodied; surprisingly hefty for the abv, with a smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation levels are fairly modest, offering only a slight bite. Quite satisfying for a 6% IPA - not terribly interesting, but very well-brewed.

Final Grade: 3.73, a B. Samuel Adams' Latitude 48 IPA is a fairly prototypical, pedestrian sort of IPA. I've certainly had better, but this is an acceptable hoppy ale that doesn't go overboard and remains highly sessionable for the style. Worth a try for sure, and something I'd consider getting again - although with quality, domestic IPAs becoming increasingly common I'm not sure this will be a regular purchase for me. (1,421 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer pours a perfect umber to golden color that has a thick long lived rich golden head that doesn't seem to want to settle. The lacing is more of a blanket of super fine foam.

The nose is mild yet complex with hints of bread, buttery hops and spiced pine undertones with a hint of alcohol and riding a subdued blanket of malt.

The taste is equally complex with a dry malt foundation that carries the extremely bitter hops across the palate. There are savory notes to the hopping that is pleasant and I believe the reason the malt appears so dry as I believe they are really fruity but the flavors blend to completely alter the perception of the malt. The taste is a tad off balance compared to what I prefer as well so I am a tad disappointed. They have a good start but the balance needs to be improved.

The mouthfeel is a bit to thick for the style. Could be watered down about 5%-10%.

Overall this is drinkable but so many more IPA's exist that are just better than this one. There is one thing we are not lacking in this country, hoppy beers. (1,057 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
A: Crystal clear amber, 1-finger head
S: Somewhat muted, with citrus components and a bit of spice
T: Malty and earthy notes up front, the hops are more subtle with bitterness trumping any usual hop flavor. Toasty, some caramel and just a hint of citrus towards the end
M: Medium-bodied, balanced
O: A decent IPA though fairly average (373 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +20.9%

Wow. Just wow. Sooo much better than the Rouge IPA they are selling.
Jesus this is beer at its finest.
Smooth. Hoppy. Sweet. Bitter.
Smells like an orgasm.
Tastes like one too.

I could just be "over excited" but this is absolutely my new favourite beer. Going to try about 24 more...
But this is insanely good... (313 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer is a decent beer but should not be compared to their Boston Lager.

A-Pours with a copper color and has a white head.

S-I could not get much out the smell.

T-The taste is coppery and taste like a can for some reason.

M-Lacks in this department but goes down smooth.

O-I would not suggest this beer but do think it is bearable overall. (349 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Steering away from the common and more traditional styles for which the Boston Beer Company is known, they step down this creative and deviant path of IPA to celebrate what it is to win over the more serious beer lovers- creating a statement that the Sam Adams brand isn't just for the "crossover effect". Or, do they?

As the hoppy ale pours, it brings on a golden-copper hue that's deeply amber and clear as a bell. As its arid froth builds, its less creamy and more honeycomb as its large pockets climb up the glass. But with long staying power and trickling with broken lace, the ale certainly looks the part of IPA.

Its somewhat subdued scent is white washed with citrusy and sprucy hop character. White grapefruit and a host of bitter citrus peels shape the beer's predominant bouquet. As a toasted and nutty scent comes about, it brings a sweeter caramel and honey character that weaves together like graham crackers. Yet trailing with a pleasant herbal and grassy scent, a waft of broken pine needles emit as well.

To taste, the beer is toasty-sweet and softly grainy. The taste of bran and toasted kinwoa come to mind as its cooked caramel and cracker-like flavor trends dry and grainy. But the middle brings about the hop dominance that IPA deserves. Grapefruit, tart oranges, a pep of lemon and something juniper-like comes about as the ale develops a gripping bitter quality that's decorated with chives and pine resin to finish.

Its dry body is highly sternly carbonated and it easily lifts its early caramels to leave that palate with husk, toasted nuts and a mineral "scrubbing character". The ale is highly crisp, highly clean and only allows a glimmer of astringency to enter the fray as its grain and vegetative hops are stretched a bit too thin. Slight warmth closes the taste, even as its sharp bitterness lingers onward.

I rather liked the beer as it is the rustic and unrefined taste that shaped IPAs of a decade ago. I fully appreciate that taste even as newer varieties have clearly created more unique flavor and fuller body. A full appreciation of the range of IPA reveals that there's not only one way to do hops. (2,144 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This ale pours a handsome copper color with a generous and lasting off white, frothy head. It leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass given the beer's abv and style. The nose on this one is hoppy but light. Definite pine and citrus notes but with a bit of a sweet malty backbone. The flavor follows suit. Not real hoppy but bitter and balanced by the malt. The beer is a little thick on the mouth for such a light beer. This one is interesting and enjoyable but not something I feel the need to return to. (511 characters)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)