LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Lemon Pepper SaisonLongShot Lemon Pepper Saison

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: smcolw on 04-02-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -45%

Long shot 6 pack. Abriggs1 shared some with me.

This only warrants a quick review: Fat and wide, no structure or spiciness. No yeast character at all. Tastes like over-buttered popcorn at the movie theater.

Just dreadful. I hope the homebrew version was different than this.

SFLpunk, Jul 04, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz into Portsmouth tulip.

A- Nice honey yellow/orange, good 1cm head that fizzes out and leaves a thin film of lacing. Beer is impossibly luminescent.. glows in the glass.

S- Floral.. hmm. Soapy and mildly astringent. Not the best bouquet. Mildly peachy.

T- Soapy again. WTF.. Not really digging this. I had this with some food the other night and enjoyed it, but by itself it's not really what I'm looking for. Faint lemony and again, astringent or bitter notes in the finish.. Almost medicinal. OK, as I get past the soap some nice floral notes come out. Still..

M- More bitter than I'd care for, moderate body, could stand to lose some carbonation. If there is pepper in this it's not really doing anything but confusing the tongue.

D- Meh. Not impressed. This was a good beer to pair with an asiago Caesar salad, but on it's own I'm left not really caring for it. The glass was clean (no soap, hot water) and this is my first beer of the day. I would pass on this unless someone had one to give me.

ShogoKawada, Apr 20, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

This brew was a little odd to me. I guesss I wasn't feeling the pepper mixed with lemon. I felt that the spicy citrus was too much of a contrast and didn't really flow well together. The saison it self would have been fine as it was. I respect the idea of making something new. I just think that it was the proper choice.

Knapp85, Mar 24, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Review adapted from notes taken 10/2/10

Appearance: Nice-looking gold/yellow color with a white head and some white lacing

Smell: A little funky, but mostly just smells kind of like a bland ale with some spices thrown in - lemon is obvious, clove seems to stand out more than the pepper - doesn't really smell like a saison to me

Taste: First off, I should note that I contemplated cooking with this beer instead of drinking it - seriously, a lemon pepper beer? I was not excited - but it turned out better than I expected - citrusy, tart - spices and the black pepper are very subtle - there is some kind of funky/phenolic flavor going on, too - malts are subtle and dry - not at all what I expected, but still nothing to write home about

Mouthfeel: On the thin side, but adequately carbonated

Overall: Not really good, but not as bad as I expected

In some ways I feel like I should give this beer a second chance. I had poor expectations before I even opened the bottle, and I know that my review is clouded as a result. Regardless, this was a one-time release, so may it rest in peace in my notebook...

angrybabboon, Apr 11, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Pours a perfectly clear golden color with a half finger of head that quickly died down.

S - Belgian yeast, a slight bit of funk, with a slight pepperish spice.

T - This could have been a real winner saison, with a fresh yeasty and funky flavor. However, I think the lemon pepper gives it a flavor that takes a turn for the worse with a bland bitter flavor and slight citrus zing.

M/D - Mouthfeel is full for the style and pleasant. As I said, if they would have stuck to the saison this would be a great beer. If this is the winner of a competition, I would hate to have tried the losers.

mwa423, May 07, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured into a standard pint.

Pale golden body. Very clear. On finger white head resides to a cap of foam on top. Not much lacing left behind.

Nose is basically just banana esters and some pale malt.

The flavor is similar, up front it is mostly banana esters and a slight phenol quality then there is a hint of lemon juice, a dash of pepper, pale malt, and some faint grassy hops.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, creamy carbonation, a tiny bit acidic from the lemons I think.

So there is way too much phenols in this for me. I don't really see how this is a saison.

billshmeinke, Jul 23, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -25%

This beer pours a cloudy dark yellow color. The head is half an inch in height, which is quite small for a saison. It recedes within a minute into almost no lacing. This is also not characteristic of a saison. The aroma is of hay, leather, lemon, and a hint of black pepper. It is a nice aroma, but not as strong as most examples of the style. The taste is of pepper, with a hint of barnyard fuck, and a lot of alcohol (which is really odd for a beer that is only 6.4% ABV). The mouthfeel is thin to the point of being watery with high carbonation. Overall, this beer is a major disappointment. If given the opportunity I will not drink this again.

KarlHungus, Jul 25, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -25%

Picked up a sixer of the 2010 Longshot mix and poured this into a Duvel Tulip.

Appearance:
A real crisp, golden yellow. Surprisingly clear beer, especially for a saison. Head is a medium sized white foam thats quickly subsides. Leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell:
I dont really smell any lemon or citrus at all on this, which is odd considering the name. The pepper was very evident however.

Taste:
The taste on the otherhand is quite underwhelming. I'm only getting a bit of pepper on the end. No real lemon to speak of. This tastes more like something AB would brand as Bud Light Lemon Pepper. Almost seems watered down.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is very light. The beer is crisp with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability:
If you like the flavor this is very drinkable. I wasn't a fan so it was a bit hard to finish. Not a drain pour, just not to my liking. I was really hoping for something more.

Destral, Apr 19, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -25%

Pours a hazy yellow with a sudsy top.

Smells yeasty and spicy, with a soapy smelling farmhouse zest to it. Hmm....weird, what is that aroma? It actually smells kind of like spiced soap.

Tastes better than it smells, as the weird aroma doesn't really carry through into flavor. Decent farmhouse zest, some yeast, no real lemon, though there's a hint of acrid citrus. The pepper/spice I could do without entirely. Adds nothing, and isn't integrated well.

Not the abysmal trainwreck I thought it would be, but neither is it good.

Overlord, Jun 01, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -25%

Appearance: Pours out a crystal clear, gold-toned body with a half inch-high white head.

Smell: Aroma smelling of lightly sweet-scented, honey-hinted pils malts, lemon rinds, and a curious match of soap lather and spice.

Taste: Sweet, honeyish pilsner maltiness in the fore, then in comes a light, lemonesque citrus component. Yeah, and again there's the Grains of Paradise addition, which comes across, for me, as particularly medicinal and is in no way complimentary to anything else within this brew, as it tends to obstruct the other flavors. Light bitterness. Hints of vanilla and white grape. Soapy, spicy finish that doesn't come quite soon enough.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: I've fought through my two bottles of LS-LPS now and I honestly do not like it, in fact, I find it fairly repellent. It leaves me wondering how well this actually represents J. White's winning recipe.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 16, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

Where's the lemon? Where's the pepper? Where's the saison? I can answer these questions. This is a high alcohol brew with little to make it stand out. There's a certain citrusy dryness on the end, but I can't say I really enjoy it. It's an interesting idea, but I think it could have been done better. Most lemon, more pepper, a different yeast.

abriggs1, Jul 03, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass (What else?)
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees, then fridged for approx 20 minutes before opening

Pours golden yellow with a slight overcast of mild orange tones. Just over a fingers worth of loose, white foam sits on top. The retention is better than expected, from the appearance. Lacing is in tiny spots, but is mildly sticky.

Full of pale malt notes, almost smells like a pilsner. Mild hints of lemon. Very slight traces of belgian yeast. I can spot the pepper notes, but if I weren't looking for them, I would totally miss them.

Wow, this is a letdown. I knew that my expectations for this would not be met. I was just hoping that it might have been in the same timezone, at least.
This is very bland and lifeless. Like someone mixed a bad pilsner with some very weak tripel. Just not alot going on here. Graininess and light hints of lemon juice. Light touches of belgian yeast presence. No spice presence at all.
Weak.

The best part of this beer. Full-bodied with a mild level of carbonation. Smooth and refreshing, with a small hint of crispness, and a good showing of creaminess.

Not for me, thanks. I'm sure that this beer will garner some fans, I just don't know why.
Personally, this is the worst Longshot beer ever, to me.

coldmeat23, Jun 16, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

Very clear, pours with a good amount of foam that dissipates quickly leaving just a little bit of lace. Lemon Pledge and sort of vanilla aroma. Tastes of sweet malt, lemon, dash of pepper, yet finishes rather tannic and dry. Meh. I wanted to like this, but it's just okay. Fans of the summer ale might like it. Next please...

marcobrau, Jun 06, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -20%

Pours a clear golden color with a fair amount of foamy white head, fades slowly but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell has a decent citrus aroma with a peppery spice to it.

Taste is a big let down and feels like I'm drinking Pledge, weird lemon spice astringency that seems more like a cleaning product than a beer, carbonation is fine and active.

Two out of three ain't bad, go LongShot!

deltatauhobbit, Jun 19, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -20%

A: pours a bright clear golden with a 2 finger fluffy head, lots of chunky bubbles left behind, good head retention

S: lots of saison funk character, slightly tart smelling, lots of crushed black pepper- perhaps a bit strong, the lemon also comes through along with some grassy notes

T: sweetness and tartness up front, the funk is toned down a bit, the finish is black pepper and lemon... the pepper is way too prominent for my liking

MF: spritzy, high carbonation, goes down pretty smooth

D: this isn't really my favorite beer, the pepper is too strong and the finish is just a bit off for me. I expect more of a yeasty character in a saison, this beer lacks that

homebrew311, Apr 30, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a very nice effervescent golden color, with a finger or so of creamy white foam. On the nose I get mostly wheat, Belgian yeast and a hint of black pepper. Not a whole lot going on on the palate either, mostly an assortment of spices (cardamom, pepper) and no lemon to speak of. Refreshing to a point, but glad I only have one more.

emmasdad, May 01, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Pours a buttery gold with a single finger of loose head which dissipates quickly. Solid sheet of good, fine off white foam. Evident carbonation from the ribbons. Excellent clarity.

S: The lemon pepper has actually started to come out more than I had anticipated. The beer six months ago was good, relatively balanced. The peppercorn has started to dominate a bit. Butter in the background. Creamy yeast nose.

T: Yeast is out there. Quite fine. Pepper doesn't dominate as much here. A little too much grain left here. somewhat bland as a saison.

M: Medium light body with low carb for the style. Dry. Not good.

D: Meh, okay once. Glad I had one still to review.

harrymel, Mar 02, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison is very bubbly and refreshing, with an unpleasant metallic finish.

The appearance was where this shined. It was a beautiful blond, with lots of bubbles and a thick white head that left thick rings on the glass. Unfortunately, the head immediately disappeared. The smell was all lemon rind, but the flavor was a two-parter, with lemon rind followed by a very unpleasant metallic aftertaste. Eventually, it seemed to numb the tongue. It felt bubbly and refreshing; however, the finish begged to be followed by a glass of water.

LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison has the look and feel of champagne--lots of bubbles and lots of sparkle. What lingers, however, is rather unpleasant.

MetalHopHead6, Apr 25, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

A - Close to BMC

S - Lemony and perfume-y and incense-y. The smell gets better as it airs out; the taste doesn't.

T - The taste is honey-laden and perfumed-spicy, and I don't find the combos to be particularly effective. There are some identifiable Saison style cues, but overall it is disappointing on any level. Here's a definite equation for you: Longshot Saison < Boston Lager.

M - Cheap macro feel.

D - I wonder how close this bottle is to the product that won the Longshot contest in the first place. I can't see how this would've won any acclaim whatsoever, as is.

ktrillionaire, May 17, 2010

tzieser, Nov 19, 2011

chrispoint, Apr 11, 2012

BuddyZ, Aug 15, 2014

ejimhof, Sep 29, 2013

12oz bottle, best by Sept 2010.

Pours clear golden amber with a fair sized off-white head, leaves a few spots of lacing and a foamy ring.

Aroma is heavy on the lemon, with some yeast, banana, spice. Not terribly complex, but quite strong. Almost starts to smell like cream soda as I near the last portion of the glass.

Flavor is banana, yeast, bread, lemon, a bit of spice. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is slick, low to medium carbonation.

Too much lemon for my tastes, borders on artificial.

Kinda reminds me of a saison, hefe, and tripel all at once, which are all styles I don't normally seek out, but I'll be looking into an Avec les bons Voeux or a Helios before drinking the second bottle of this for a better comparison.

elgiacomo, Apr 25, 2010

Sinewave, Jan 01, 2012
LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)