Samuel Adams Revolutionary Rye Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Revolutionary Rye AleSamuel Adams Revolutionary Rye Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Rye Beer |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 03-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Revolutionary Rye Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
3.46/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a 16 oz Shaker Pint.

A- Pours out a reddish brown caramel, with some purpleish hues in the light. Head is about 1" off white with really nice lacing on the glass.

S- An almost toasted raisin with a hint of plums, sweet bread, a touch of caramel. The malt and rye really overtake the nose.

T- Very malty, with what could be described as a bit of toast. Very light bitterness, with the raisin flavor really coming through for me, and just a bit of bitterness and slight alcohol on the finish.

M- Rich, and somewhat oily, very light effervescence.

D- A very malty medium to heavy bodied Rye. The sweetness is a bit much, and I would consider this beer to be a malt bomb. I think that a bit more of a smokey note would have been nice in the beer, but hey it won the contest to be the next SA beer. I tried this after having the Belgian IPA that came in second in the taste off. Not sure how this beer won out, but hey I wish it all the best. Stay thirsty my friends!

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a pretty dark reddish/brown, tan head is one finger and is nice and frothy, leaves a good lace on the glass

S - Smells deeply of malted barley and sweet spices, hops are hidden in there somewhere

T - Has a mild quick taste, the spices are easy to taste in the bitter hop aftertaste, not too bad, but nothing really special

M/D - Medium bodied beer that i could drink one or two of, but not several.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

bottle smells of spicy European style hops and rye. Lacing and head retention is superb. There is a nice rye body with a very balanced malt profile. The rye huskyness lingers on the palate with a tofee-like grain character. The rye give off toasty notes. The hops give off a sharp bitterness that lasts only for a short while.

I love the taste of rye, and I feel like this is a great rye beer. This beer is not quite as smooth as the Terrapin rye beer and is a bit sharper with more tofee character. I find the hop bitterness a bit too sharp at times, and it does not complement the rye as it should. Mouthfeel is heavy but moderately drinkable.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Clear rich amber with just a little straw colored head. Minimal lacing, but still a bit. Clear enough to see individual carbonation bubbles through the glass.

S - Can definitely smell the hops, but not overly piney or citrusy. More subtle hop aroma.

T - Subtle hops, maybe a bit more citrus than on the nose. Some sweet malt flavors, maybe honey. Not in your face flavor, making it somewhat boring. Still pleasant though.

M - Well carbonated, but body is a bit thin at first, but the sweet malts make it somewhat medium bodied on the backend.

O - A somewhat easy drinking beer. Unfortnately a bit boring, even though there is a reasonable combination of hops and malts. Smooth. I would have this again, but wouldn't be something I'd reach for regularly.

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured into tall footed pint glass.
Clear amber with creamy two fingered head which dissipates to a thin whispy cap that holds throughout. Nice lacing as well.
Nice mellow hoppy aroma.
Blend of citrus and rye malts that mesh well.
Light carbonation that holds the flavors well.
Would put this on the "won't let you down" list.

3.82/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured straight from my growler, nice thick 2-finger head. Drinking it now actually and it's surprising that the ABV is what it is. It's 5.5% ABV btw. I thought it was a bit higher. Mouth feel is good, very drinkable. It tastes a bit sweet going down but with a slightly bitter aftertaste though. I'm enjoying it, not as much as the Sleigh Ryed (Great South Bay Brewery, NY) I had 2 days ago, which is also a Rye Ale. I think it's just Sam Adams but I do enjoy this one a lot more than other beers I have had by them. I expected a bit sweeter taste this being a Rye Ale but I'm not disappointed. Definitely can't see it being a session beer though might have it again.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

After the sweeping success of the Noble Pils, no surprise that Samuel Adams looks to repeat it with another spring introduction, this time a rye ale.

(A) Pours an orange/red gold with a fat, two-finger+ head of foamy cream. The beer itself is VERY clear. I almost wish it were somewhat cloudy, as it would suit a rye beer.

(S) Plenty of rye with pleasing grains and bready notes. This is a better, more aggressive aroma than most beers in the Samuel Adams lineup.

(T) The aroma seems to suggest more taste than this beer delivers. It's a pleasant, mild ale with noticeable rye throughout -- it's aptly named -- but it's far more tame than I'd like. A touch watery but better than usual for the Boston Beer Company's standard beers (their specialty brews and imperial beers are much better). Not a lot of nuance here. As already stated, this is a mild ale with an overt rye taste. Good, but it could certainly be more aggressive. I wish it was. It suggests such potential but doesn't quite deliver.

That said, it's good.

(M) Little different than any other beer in the Sam's lineup. Moderate carbonation, a touch watery and not very full-bodied, but pleasant in the mouth.

(D) Also little different than usual. The Boston Beer Company doesn't make Best In Class beers, at least not anymore, but they DO make highly drinkable, very tasty beers that drink well and have enough flavor to make them enjoyable. This one is no different.

Bottom line is, this is a good, tasty beer that COULD be outstanding but is instead "merely" a very tasty, drinkable beer. (I've had it on tap; it's far better that way.)

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

poured into a pint glass somewhat aggressivly and had about a 2 to 3 finger head. color was a nice copper red. head stuck around for a while and left some lacing.

the smell wasnt bad, had some slight hoppy nots with malt coming through very little.

the tast was ok with a hint of rye and bread. the hops were there but not overtaking.

this is definetly not my favorit sam adams beer but it is very drinkable

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Was hoping for a bit more overall. Isn't a standout among the Sam's line.
A. On draft....nice light copper with very little head but does leave a decent lace down the glass.
S. Honestly not much...a bit of light malt and faint spice.

T. Lacking...I wish the rye was more prominent...some hops but faint...

M. A bit bigger than I thought. Wasn't the lighter pale ale that I thought it might be.

D. Easygoing but if I'm doing pale ale it's not my first pick.

3.61/5  rDev +2.3%

the smell of this beer reminds me of old pbr in a can that you kick on the beach.

Its a nice color though. Dark red/maroon.

The taste is great for a sam adams I can buy in mississippi. The citrus and pine nuts really come through.

This is apretty decent beer. Nice to have something new in our beer-hating state.

I could probably drink a lot if these. And I'm going to now. .

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance - dark brown small white head.

Smell - Love the smell, might be because it reminds me of my first homebrew. Hops and rye.

Taste - Big hop and rye fan and this is right up my alley.

Mouthfeel - Nice swish but does leave a dry sour aftertaste.

Drinkability - Love the taste but definitely more of a beer with dinner than a drink as much as I can.

3.96/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: dark brown with a red tint. Not sure what some reviewers were saying about a lack of head. I poured into a Seidel, an their was a good one inch head

Smell: Somewhat of a neutral smell, nothing distinctive

Taste: Slight bitterness with a hint of malty, and a little nutty

Mouthfeel: Great after taste.

4.97/5  rDev +40.8%

The beer pours with a beatiful reddish orange hugh that could be characterized as bronze, and bubbly notes of carbonation resolve into a medium sized white head that reduces to a thin blanket after several mintues. The aroma is complex with a mix of caramel malty tones and a blanced complex mix of hops including some earthy notes that match well with the hops. There is also a note of spice in the aroma, that blends well with both the hops and malt.

The flavor is balanced, balanced, balanced. The flavor is caramel bready with the very enjoyable sweetness balanced by both the hops and pallete drying rye. It finished crisp with an wonderful yet clean aftertaste, making drinkability a 5.

This beer is one for the log books for me. I hope that the keg I had this from was not an anomoly, and all batches for are this good. My tastebuds rate this a near perfect beer.

Maybe I'm just not good at reviewing beer. I like it all! The thing with sam adams though is recently i feel the quality has gone downhill. I think they have weakened the taste of their beers to appeal to the masses...or maybe my taste has just gone to the stronger beers :) anyway, this beer is above average as far as sam adams beer goes. at least 30% stronger than the boston lager. maybe that's why i like it. i expected an average rating from BA though so not surprised the bros gave it a C.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Samuel Adams Revolutionary Rye Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)