Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 1,110 | Reviews: 514
3.29/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased a bottle while I was in Germany at Weihenstephan only to find out after I bought it that it was a Sam Adams collaboration. Opened about 6 months after the bottling date.

Miller High Life's tagline is the Champagne of Beers, but Infinitum really deserves that title. Brewed with Champagne yeast, this beer would be a good substitute for Champagne on many occasions. Lots of carbonation was apparent. I found the flavor to be mild and somewhat dry. Not a beer I'll be purchasing again, but glad I tried it once.

thought this was a realy good holliday beer

2.69/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

100th style. Unfortunately the bottle is 4 years old and didn't hold up well.

3.96/5  rDev +22.2%

As someone who drinks a lot of wine as well as beer, this was a phenomenal experience. Pours hazy golden orange with lingering bits of carbonation sitting on top. Smell is orange rind and other citrus and bready champagne yeast. Very floral on the nose as well. the first taste is all orange and yeast, subdued and balanced flavor which I think is what gets the beer it's low rating from the majority of BAs, however this isn't a beer that's supposed to slap you in the face with hops or dark chocolate or bourbon flavor, it's supposed to showcase the yeast. This is a rich floral beer with a great mouthfeel and really nothing overwhelmingly negative to it. The price wasn't an issue for me because it was free at a friend's house for a small party. If you've ever had a grand cru champagne in your life you would appreciate this beer. If you just look past the price tag, you would appreciate this beer. If you store and open the bottle correctly, you would appreciate this beer.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Another overpriced product from Samuel Adams which has the look and that's about it. Not good.

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Infinium has a bright golden/orange appearance with noticeable carbonation as the bubbles rise in the champagne glass I poured this in. Medicinal aroma mixed with some green apple and maybe some tropical fruits. Strange, almost chemical like flavor. Alcohol is very noticeable and seems much stronger than the listed 10%. Produces an almost burning sensation on the tongue as the carbonation comes to the forefront. Very disappointing collaboration between 2 normally strong breweries.

3.11/5  rDev -4%

2011 vintage bottle.

A. Beautiful deep orange color with faint hints of red. Pours with a big head that dissipates rather quickly.

S. Strong clover honey dominates the nose. Barely any hops or phenols (from the Belgian yeast strain). For being 10.3%, there's no alcohol notes in the nose.

T. Sweet, honey-like malt upfront. A slight carbonic acid bite finishes the taste. No alcohol notes, very smooth.

M. Highly carbonated with a nice medium mouthfeel.

O. Not a bad beer. My first beer of this style. I didn't get many champagne notes, but this beer was interesting. I'd probably not buy it again, though.

Serving type: 750ml bottle poured into a champagne flute.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Production date 07.02.13, had a few weeks ago, a bit after the expiration date.
Pours light amber, a tiny bit hazy, with a rich frothy head that subsides to a half finger thin white cap that lasts for a very very long time, but leaves few traces on the glass.
Rather Belgian in the smell, with sweet apple and apricot jam, some fig, plum and raisin, a hint of banana, lots of caramel, faint candi sugar and sweet cake spices (licorice, caramelised citrus peel). There are some rather strong alcohol vapors coming up, also a bit of a weird scent that at first it reminded me of cat urine.
Taste starts with fruit jam (apple, apricot, peach, sweet cherry, orange) and alcohol drenched raisins. Low maltiness, some caramel and Belgian sugars. There's a mixed yeasty feel, with some hefeweizen and Belgian ale elements, the second ones dominating tho (some pepper, clove, licorice, faint vanilla). Finish is close to champagne-dry, mildly bitter from some spicy/fruity hops (not too strong).
Medium body and quite carbonated, it isn't syrupy or heavy for its rather big sweetness. Gets really boozy drinking it, quite a big problem there. Sweet and fruity aftertaste, reminding a bit of sherry or strong red wine.
Not sure why people hate this one so much. I had it on a special occasion, so maybe i am biased, but i really liked it. Aside from the booze and the (yeasty?) weirdness, this was more than decent.

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Numbers added from notes. Unfortunately, the only other notes were: Disappointment and banana smell does not work very well with the champagne yeast.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

I am surprised that other reviewers didn't enjoy this beer as much as I did. This is the first Bière de Champagne that I can remember drinking and I personally really enjoyed the style. It is very sweet, but I thought the sweetness was well complemented and balanced by the champagne-type mouthfeel, which made this go down easy for me (even with the high alcohol) and made the beer stand out from others. I'm not even a huge fan of champagne, but this beer seemed to me to combine the best of both champagne (delicate mouthfeel, gentle sweetness) and beer (stabilizing malt base). Would love to drink more of this, or try more beers in this style.

3.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this aged bottle well past the enjoy by date - so this may not be entirely fair. Aged 16 months, not recommended 6. Beautiful hazy caramelly, orange color. Nose was Belgian-y, like a quad, and sweet with some alchohol. The champagne bubbles - still enough to overflow the bottle upon popping the cork - strip flavors off the tongue and cut the sweetness. This is good as the flavors are brown sugar, rock candy and malts sweet, again similar to a quad. Overall - glad we tried it, no off flavors from over-aging. It was an experience, not a go-to.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Wow. I really wanted to like this beer.

A - really looked great. Made me want to drink it. Pale orange/amber with a lingering head. Very fine bubbles.

S - I literally winced. Some sort of rotting apricots mixed with cheese or bread or.... Not sure.

T - not good. Sorry. I hate even writing this. It tastes like some sort of weird blend of off apricots, Belgian triple and salt (yes salt).

M - admittedly hard to judge given the taste. That said, a little heavy, despite the finer bubbles which were the best part.

O- I enjoy and appreciate beer. I believe I have had nearly everything and I respect the different styles. I have to say that I had infinium 2 years ago and it was much better. Not world class, but much better. Back then I was thinking "Wow, this beer has potential". Sorry to say I may have tasted it at its best back then.

4.11/5  rDev +26.9%

I feel like there are three or four factors impacting reviews of this beer.

1) Its a bit costly--though we received the bottle we drank as a Christmas present.

2) Many folks are comparing it to beers they have had in the past.

3) Many folks are keeping it in the bottle far too long--one for10 years!

4) Many folks drank it with closed minds.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the appearance of the bottle my wife and I drank, and I say that confidently even though we drank it on 12/31/11. It was absolutely crisp and clear, as was the slightly fruity smell and the excellent dry taste. Mouthfeel was as expected--comparable to some of the better champagnes we have had. It was an excellent substitue for champagne, and reminded me of some of the better altbiers I have experienced. Despite the price, I would buy it again.

2.82/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Logged from notes. Appearance is cloudy and orange with fizzy white head. Nose is full of white grapes and honey with a slight tartness present. The flavor is incredibly sweet and definitely crosses into the cloying arena. There is no dryness or tannins to helps mellow this out which is unfortunate. The mouthfeel is thick and well carbonated. Overall, this is pretty uninspiring.

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dated 2010. Drink by July '11... well, it's June '13.

$20 bottle that my sister brought to a BBQ. Poured this into a crystal wine-like glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy at the top of the bottle, pretty hazy by the bottom. The color is a mostly yellow sort of look. Pretty nice head, though it doesn't last long. No lacing.

Smell: Kind of Belgian. Sour grapes, mostly.

Taste/feel: I thought the rating here would be higher. The alcohol is nonexistent (being aged 3 years has no doubt helped that) in the flavor, and the sweetness and sourness that the flavor provides is balanced pretty nicely by a subtle bitterness. It's a lot of sour grape flavors, really. The carbonation was surprisingly high for being as old as it was. I thought this really drank pretty well.

This isn't a beer I'd drink often, but I most definitely enjoyed it.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 Vintage poured on 4/22/13. Says enjoy before July 2012. Whatevs. Pours clear light copper with a big frothy head. Aroma of funky yeast, pear, peaches, mango, pineapple, and a hint of spice (coriander?). Some definite honey aroma. Actually quite aromatic and fruity. Flavor has a sharp strange bite. Almost like it is sour. Very dry with lots of carbonation. Light and slick mouthfeel. The sharpness takes away from what seems to be a nice fruity Belgian/Saison brew. Did something go wrong? Not bad overall, but this could have been better. Does seem to grow on me as it goes, with fruit flavors coming out.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

750 ml bottle, vintage 2011. Thanks to my homie mfndsvp for sharing this bottle. Served into a Shock Top hefeweizen glass. My second review of a collaboration beer on BeerAdvocate.

A - Gentle pour yields like five fingers of ridiculous head. Body is a light cloudy golden orange color with tons of bubble action rushing to the top.

S - Has a fruity pineapple nose, slight hint of Belgian yeast / funk in there also. Has a very unique smell to it, I will give it that.

T - Feel is carbonated, some tart citrus reminiscent of fresh juicy pineapple, Belgian yeast, touch of hop bitterness, and some alcohol warmth, but the 10.30% abv is masked well. Finishes slightly sour.

M - Feel is juicy, fruity, bitter, and dry in the finish.

Overall, a unique beer experience, probably one that I won't soon forget. Glad to have gotten to try it, since I wasn't about to take the plunge for 20 dollars. Not a beer I will be having again any time soon, especially considering it's price tag, but this is one of the more far-out creations from the Boston Beer Company.

Samuel Adams / Weihenstephan Infinium ---3.5/5

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The most impressive head I’ve ever seen in a beer: 4-5 fingers tall, fairly long-lasting, with an off-white/light-beige color with a golden tint. Same in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th glass! Light orange color.
Smell: A rich range of aromas: hints of flowers like a belgian wit bier, smell of blue cheese, some traces of sourness.
Taste: A heavy tilt towards malty/sweet character is balanced by a very discreet sourness.
Mouthfeel: Slightly oily texture, medium to full body, medium to high carbonation.
Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable ( I managed the whole 750mls on my own) despite the beer 's “heavy” character.

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought the 750 ml bottle in a Duty Free shop at the Munich airport in Dec 2012. There were lots of bottles on the shelf and mine had a bottling date of 1 Nov 2012. It looks like it is being actively brewed.

A - Dark copper color with lots of red. The beer is amazingly clear and bright. Creamy off-white head is a good 2-3 cm thick on initial pour and lasts very well. This is a beautiful beer.

S - The aroma is similar to a doppelbock, but it has some Belgian-like characteristics also. Bready malt, crisp, earthy German hops. There is a distinct green apple smell and maybe some grapes or white wine. No alcohol in aroma.

T - The taste is not as impressive as the aroma. Again there is a similarity to a doppelbock, but without the depth of malt flavors. There is some bready malt, but it is drowned out mid-palate by green apple and boozy alcohol. Moderate hops bitterness. Sweet finish. Probably the best comparison I can make is to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree.

M - Thick body. High carbonation and hops bitterness combine to give a harsh mouthfeel. Some alcohol burn as well.

O - This is a good beer, but with flaws. The flavors are not very complex or deep and it has a sharp, acrid mouthfeel. I put it on a level with and very similar to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree. It is enjoyable and I'm glad I tried it, but it is not an all-time favorite for me.

3.79/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 2 year old 750 ml. bottle. sampled on January 20, 2013.

It pours orange-copper, slightly cloudy, with a decent, long-lasting off-white head.

The aroma is of orange and other citrus notes with notes of yeast, Belgian sugar, pale malts, and light spices.

The body is medium.

The taste has the Belgian malts and mellow sweetness of a Dubbel at first but ends with the tartness of a Belgian Tripel.

I found this on a convenience store shelf for $5.99 and the aging improved it.

3.53/5  rDev +9%

2010 vintage...suggested enjoy by date July 2011. Enjoyed New Year's Eve/Early Morning 2013 and split among friends.

A: Deep orange color and crystal clear. Fizzy one-finger head dissipates quickly and leaves not much lacing.

S: Yeast, soured fruit, malts and some funk. The kind of funk that isn't great...not terrible though. I've definitely smelled worse.

T: Not bad! Brings together a lot of ingredients into a pretty consistent, decent flavor. It's got some sweetness to it with some yeasty bitterness. Not much hop bitter.

M: Fizzy but creamy. Leaves a weird oily feel.

O: Not terrible...was definitely expecting worse. CERTAINLY not worth the price point but also one that I was glad to share with friends.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Poured from bottle into flute on NYE. Had bottle for one year...
Pours a dark golden almost burnt golden color with lots of foamy head. Nice sweet malt aromas, mixed with a deep grape like aroma. Taste is very grape/champagne like but mixed with a bit of malt and ever so slight noble hop. Its somewhat heavy, but lively. I just dont get why people dont like this brew? Its really different with a good flavor. Obviously not an every day brew, but its really a nice alternative to champagne for the beer drinker.

2.61/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Atypical review alert.

Ok. So I paid $20+ for this beer-2 yrs ago. Thought it would be a great new years beer to share with my friends-who love the local brewpub. cellared it properly and all. Body is a golden color and pours with a big foamy white head. Head eventually fades.

Ok smelland taste- here's the thing. My friend brought this up and its totally true. This beer tastes like speghetti. Imagine an Italian beer dinner with no food. Mamma Pizza beer and this "champagne" beer between two elite brewers. Holy crap! Liquid pizza and speghetti! Awesome! Or not.

I felt obligated to apologize for offering this to my friends as a toast.

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

I found this bottle about 6 months ago at a local liquor store. The owner offered it for 50% off since it was a 'found' case in the back storeroom. I immediately started chilling it since it was due to expire soon.

I cracked it open tonight for a Christmas dinner with the family. I figured that the fruityness in the beer would pair well with ham.

I poured the beer into champagne flutes to match the style. Not surprisingly, I had a lot of head in the initial pour. The coloring is very hazy orange, brown.

The nose is like a mature sour. I like the balance of venous/champagne-like qualities. You get a lot of active yeast in there.

The flavor is a challenge. The sour is turned up to 11. The bubbles play well, but the flavor doesn't work here.

This was an interesting beer, but I won't go out of my way to pick up another bottle.

2.61/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Like the promo tag on the bottle says, drinks like a champagne. A really oddball style, but then that strikes me as true Sam Adams penchant for experimentation - no fear!

Pours hazy golden amber with a big spritzy champagne-style head. That quickly dissipates leaving a film, no lace. Lots of sparkle from carbonation. Nose is very fruity and honey sweet with noticeable alcohol. Comes across like some Belgians. Overall, just a little too sweet and boozy to be really appetizing.

Sour fruit to taste, really juicy in character, lots of alcohol. Some bite from alcohol and a touch of spice. Finishes with a dry alcohol burn. More like champagne or sparkling white wine than beer in a lot of ways.

As a beer experience, nothing special. Not enough interesting beery stuff going on. Big bottle, so find someone to share with.

to view more.
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)