Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,115 | Reviews: 515
Reviews by vandemonian:
3.91/5  rDev +20.7%

Sam Adams Infinium. People like to take shots at Sam Adams, since they are the big fish, but I thought this beer was decent enough... although it didn't deserve all it's hype.

A: Orange colour and and excellent white head. Very, very carbonated 4.5

S: The smell is quite hoppy with some yeastiness. 3.5

F: The flavour is sour with some bitterness and hoppiness. Fresh champagne-like finish. 4

M: The mouthfeel is foamy and aggressively carbonated. 4

O: Very drinkable. 4

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this Saturday night rather than champagne.Poured into a pilsner glass a straw hazed color with spritzy head atop,pretty much what was expected.Aromas are light with toasted bread and some pear notes,flavors are decent but they became a little to sweet after awhile.Caramel/butter flavors mixed with some greenapple-like tartness,the alcohol began to creep and bring the sweetness level way up after about mid bottle.Not as bad in my opinion as many others think but it's not great by any means and overpriced,glad I tried it.

2.46/5  rDev -24.1%

Wonderful looking corked bottle. Extra points for presentation. As for the pour, nice orange colour with a medium off-white head. Unfortunately, the head disappears rather quickly and the beer is left looking flat and boring.

The nose is the best part of this beer. Some breadiness and yeast along with sweet, ripened fruits. Promising.

The taste of this beer is where it fell apart for me. Not what I was expecting at all and not a pleasant surprise either. Overly sweet. Very little complexity or balance. Somewhat medicinal. Hints of apricot where burried underneath the sugary sweetness and an off flavour I can't put my finger on. Almost reminded me of Tang drink crystals.

I actually wondered if this was actually the beer they intended to brew or did I open a ridiculously off bottle?

If not for the extra marks given for presentation, my score would have been even lower. I don't find anything pleasant about this beer & I doubt I will ever buy another.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

A: Pale gold and very effervescent having a large, rocky off-white head with a moderate retention time. The overall appearance is that of a champagne.

S: Yeast and hops on the first sniff with the yeast quickly dissipating. The moderate Noble hops aroma dominates having floral and citrus notes. The moderately-light malt aroma is toasty and biscuity.

T: This is dry having a medium bitterness with a touch of sour. There is a moderate lemony hops flavor with a light florar note. A touch of sweetness chows itself mid-palate but is quickly overtaken by a dry bitter finish. There is some fermentation derived fruitiness that like a light peach and very light apricot.

O: This is a lot more appealing to those seeking a beer alternative to champagne with a solid bitterness and a dry refreshing finish that works well on its own or paired with dessert, fish or a light salad.

Note: Nothing like the one I had last year where the residual sweetness was just short of cloying. I'm not sure f the bottle was infected, if it is it's in a good way, but I don't care because dry is good and sour is great in my book.

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Found this 2010 vintage in the Cork and Keg in Julington Creek. 25.00 bucks for one hell of a dry Mother.

A- Poured into a champ. glass producing a hefty white head that falls to a sticky froth and ring.

S- Sweet dextrin and mild malts uphold the front of this biere. Malted apple juice is in the backbone.

T-M- Rotten apple jucie is upfront with very bubbly aftermath... Slightly sour and sweet with mixes of hard cider alcohol equals a ok beer. Mouthfeel is hot in esters of alcohol but unique in flavor.

Overall a expensive drink but worth tring it...
Cheers!

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I had this beer twice within the last week or so and this review is a composite of both those tastings.

750mL bottle poured into some tulip and snifters shared among friends both times.

The cork comes out with a loud pop and a pours a crystal clear yellow golden color with a white head that dies quickly. As promised a strikingly champagne like bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. I kind of wish I used an etched bottom glass with this beer.

And then it goes downhill...

The first time I had it the aroma had a huge acidic bite to it, I couldn't pinpoint the exact aroma but a friend suggested malt vinegar. I didn't get that smell exactly but I could see the resemblance, I just didn't pick up as much acetic character. My second tasting lacked the acidity but made up for it in diacetyl. For the most part I find it hard to detect diacetyl, it's a trait not that uncommon and from tasting diacetyl doctored samples of beers I know I'm not sensitive to it. In order for me to get that aroma from a beer the levels have to be pretty high. The aroma just wasn't anything close to what I would consider appealing.

Flavor-wise it was better but not by much. Both tasting were pretty much just a highly carbonated acidic version of a light bodied light colored lager.

The diacetyl didn't come through as much in the taste but the intense oiliness of the chemical does. The high amount of carbonic acid in the beer just adds to the acid taste and harsh mouthfeel. Drinkability it's ok, nothing too revolting but just disappointed in a beer I looked so forward too.

Overall this is just a terrible value. I'm 'glad' I was able to snag one for only $16. I really appreciate the techniques used in this beer and how that justifies the cost but it's just a disappointing beer. I hope if move forward with other batches they will take steps to improve it into a good tasting champagne-like beer.

2.96/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Clear golden straw color with high carbonation. Nice high, white head that fades quickly to a covering.

S - Lots of fruitiness on the nose, but a lambic like sourness as well.

T - Lots of light malt flavors with a good dose of ripe fruit. Then that sourness hits again, perhaps what is good in a champagne is coming through too strong and even a bit of an offensive aftertaste.

M - Nice light feel with a crisp finish, accentuated with a alcohol warmth.

D - I must admit, I am glad this is a limited release...not too many people should have to spend so much on it.

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

A Christmas gift from a friend. Thanks, Steve.
In a flute, the beer was a golden color with an off-white head. Lots of carbonation. There was even a tiny bit of lace.
Nice aroma. Sugary sweet, fruit, peppery in the nose.
It tasted like a candied apple, with a late hit of hops.
Sweet, bubbly.
Very good.

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%

2010 bottling. About 6 months after the best by data

A - Pours a clear copper with a finger of white head. Head doesn't last long or leave lacing.

S - a bit musty, huge alcohol notes and some fruit notes.

T - Starts with some slightly tart fruit, then the mustiness takes over. Alcohol noticeable in the taste as well. Heavier taste than I was expecting. Not sure what to think of this. Not great, but not horrible.

M - Medium mouthfeel. Actually a bit creamy.

O - Not sure how this was when fresh, but as is, it isn't something I would want to have again.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

This is probably one of the coolest looking beer i have ever seen.
With a smell of sour grapes, feel of malted barley, with a slight aroma of hops, neither sweet nor bitter but balanced, smooth texture and feel, and retains a medium head on the glass.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a very cool champagne style bottle into a Flute Glass. The bottle is 750ml and comes corked and caged. This bottle is labeled 2010 with 10.3% abv. It also comes with a small leaflet describing the beer and the collaboration with Weihenstephan.

Appearance: The body has a clear orange amber body with tons of effervescent carbonation rushing up to the bright white head. The head is tall and lightly packed with tiny loosely packed bubbles that settle quickly. It looks very much like champagne but with a much deeper colored body.

Smell: The first thing that hit me was a wave of heavy alcohol, which I was not expecting. I knew it was 10.3% but it just hit me with a brandy or cognac like boozy character with some fruity white grape, caramel/candy covered apple and light banana notes. I also get some spicy and dry dusty basement like yeast notes in the nose as well.

Taste/Palate: It starts with a big boozy malty sweetness. There are notes of boozy grapes, caramel and sweet red apple inside the maltiness with some very mellow hops creeping in. They bring some light citrus and slight herbal, grassy, almost mint like hop notes to the party. The hops however, offer very little to balance the malt sweetness and it becomes cloying after a few sips. The mouth feel is a bit heavier than I was expecting but bubbly. The carbonation keeps the palate from getting sticky but I still fined it uneasy to drink.

Notes: I am a big fan of both the Boston Beer Co and Weihenstephan but I feel this beer doesn't live up to its hype or price tag. The look and aroma are interesting but it all falls apart in the taste and feel. This beer comes off as complex in flavor but in a convoluted way. Its way to sweet for me and nothing really coalesces in my opinion.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

750ml brown magnum. Corked, caged and foiled. 2010 vintage date on the foil.

Lots of hype around this brew before the release. The head is nearly explosive which obviously shows a lot of carbonation here, Crystal clear pale amber color with some bubble action. Sweet nose of fresh baked bread, taffy, nougat, faint dried tropical fruit and a light chalky yeast. Massive crispness cuts a little bit into the sizable body, a sweeter palate here which I expected something a bit dryer. Odd dextrin sweetness clashes against a boozy alcohol, reminiscent of a clean malt liquor. Fruitiness of white cherries and ripe pears is nearly missed as the alcohol drops a peppery warmth on the palate. Malty? Sure ... some bread and dried grass. Hops are present with herbal tones but seems to just add a bit of flavor than balance. Semi-sweet finish with lots of booziness on the breath.

Hmm ... not what I expect at all. The sweetness and boozy character threw me for a loop and makes it hardly drinkable at all. Not sure if any length of cellaring will even help this beer. While I applaud the efforts from packaging to the idea this ends up being a miss for me.

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Popped this on New Year's Eve with good friends

Appearance: one inch head, clear, light gold in color, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and light spices.

Taste: toasted malt, dry hops, bread, little honey, and slight citrus fruit

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, dry, slightly sweet

Drinkability: Interesting and very dry. A decent beer, but nothing I would ever get again especially for the price. Not bad, but I would sooner get a sparkling wine for these same characteristics.

3.11/5  rDev -4%

The beer pours a clear golden color with a white head. The aroma is very sugary, along with a little bit of butter, wheat and citrus notes. Not sure why, but the aroma reminds me quite a bit of circus peanuts. The flavor is wheat, grain, bubblegum, more circus peanuts, alcohol and some citrus - lemons and oranges. The flavor is very sugary and boozy, so maybe this would benefit from some aging. Medium mouthfeel and a very high, prickly carbonation.

The beer is not bad, but for the $20 price tag and all of the hype surrounding it, I was very disappointed. Overall, the beer is a boozy, sweet mess with a lot of different flavors and aromas that don't meld well together. I expected more from two world-class breweries. Glad I got to try it, but at an extremely high price point, I will not try it again.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured vigorously into a mini Stella glass, requiring a good three top ups to finish the bottle. The pour left an incredible amount of foam - three or four inches - that took a great deal of time to settle to sippable levels. Naturally, there was tons of lacing and solid retention on the head here. The brew is a hazy pale orange, not entirely unlike sparkling grapefruit juice. No sediment that I can detect, however.

The nose is, well, complex. It took us several whiffs to figure things out. I get sparkling white wine, yeast, bread crumbs, hints of apricot, peach, sugar and light spices. Smells a great deal like a fruity Belgian tripel, except with a little funky musk that fits in more with a lambic style brew.

The brew is certainly effervescent, but thicker and less aggressively carbonated than a champagne - as to be expected for a champagne beer. The taste is musky and yeasty, but with a dry fruit character of tart apple, white wine, apricot and cherry. While not as malty as I'd thought, there is a nice bready character to it as well. Finishes tart, no hops to speak of, but sweeter than I was expecting. There's something a bit strange about this brew that I can't quite put my finger on. I think like it...I think....do I?

I guess I have to side with the folks who like the beer, as I usually do. Infinium landed somewhere in the middle of champagne and beer, but didn't really do anything to make me want to abandon either one. Too sweet for a champagne, too mixed-bag for a beer with the malts and yeasts fighting it out, but then again, it didn't taste bad either. I finished it, no problem, and the wife loved it. Hmmm. Um...sorry folks, I'm not sure where that leaves you. If you're looking for a definitive answer, I'm not going to be much help. Try it yourself and see what you think. It's not something I'm liable to get more of, for the price point and considering that I can get Fin du Monde, Weihanstephaner and a small bottle of Trocken for around the same price.

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had to try this one so I broke down and bought one.

Appearance: Cloudy, orange like color with a lot of carbonation. Significant white head.

Smell: Sweet and alcohol. Not much more.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light bodied, interesting balance of flavors, but not in a good way. Alcohol was the dominant feature here. I could taste the champagne part of it and the dry after taste to go with it. Beer flavors were there but only in the background.

Overall: Glad I tried it, but won't buy it again. It was more of a novelty toy beer than something to have more than once as a taste. Little disappointed with Sam Adams on this one. However I I ranked this high on taste because of the uniqueness of this brew.

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%

750ml fancy bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a very light crisp and clear yellow/light amber - it's like a dark champagne. The head is giant, filled my tulip right to the brim with head (along with ~2" of liquid), tons of bubbles ripping up from the nucleation etching on my glass. Nose is a bit odd, there's bready yeast, some banana, and almost a yogurt scent - quite odd.

First off, the mouthfeel is quite light which I feel is correct, but the carbonation seems just a bit off, it's very fine and light and I feel like there should be a bit more. Taste is still quite fruity - banana and yogurt is what I'm tasting, not sure if this is intentional or not. The finish is a bit sweet as well. It's a decent beer, but at $17.99 it's not worth it at all.

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

My bottle of Infinium had been sitting in my fridge for months before I opened it, and I have no point of comparison for how it should smell or taste when fresh. I'm opening it now--in late October 2011--having just noticed today that I should have consumed it before July 2011. Anything in this review should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, my bottle opened with a champagne-like bang of carbonation, immediately spreading a fruity, citrus-like aroma around the room. On closer inspection, the fruity aromas--which bring white grape, orange, apricot, mango, pear, and apple to the table--are joined in the bottle by strong touches of malty, yeasty bread, much like a combination of baking wheat and marble rye aromas. There's also an almost lemon-lime soda touch in the background, and good hints of biscuit and, oddly, raisin bread and light port wine.

On the tongue, the beer is quite bubbly, and bursting with fruity flavors. White grape, light port, raisin, pear, apricot, and apple abound, resting atop a bed of light white bread toast and peppery spices. The soda-like lemon-lime flavors are still present, and when combined with the extreme carbonation, give the beer distinct overtones of sparkling flavored water. Hops provide a nice grapefruit and rosewater counter. My bottle has a slight vinegar subtext, somewhat Flemish-like, but I have no idea if this is due to its past-due-date status or not. The aftertaste is mainly spent grains, light wheats, and a fading peppery citrus zest, and lingers for a long time. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is high, to the end that if you plugged your nose, you would swear you had a mouthful of fizzy champagne.

Overall, I quite liked this beer, and wish I had earlier noticed the due date. If this were brewed more often, I would certainly recommend this as a champagne alternative for festive occasions, as the fruity flavor profile would no doubt appeal to the masses, as would the 10.3% ABV. I'm not sure many people would classify this as "beer," but if you move beyond that distinction, this is a quite enjoyable beverage.

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%

Samuel Adams Infinium is a beer that is really interesting, and sadly a bit overpriced. With that said, I liked it. Insofar as a bottle beer goes, it has a very pleasant aroma (it smelled like orange blossom honey). Head was very small, almost nonexistent, with very fine bubbles. Flavor was very smooth, but a bit muted in my opinion... I wish it were a bit stronger. It felt like listening to Beethoven, but only at 30% volume- it doesn't do it justice.

If it were cheaper, I would drink it much more often.

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

Presentation is wonderful. Caged, corked and foiled, and a tag that suggests a best of for July 2012.

A - Poured into a flute. Pours a lovely honey color. Fluffy looking head of about an inch, but with little retention and no lacing.

S - Crisp alcohol, mild yeast. Meh.

T - Very sweet, with a pear fruitiness. Kinda bready and a little bitter at the finish. Very reminiscent of white wine.

M - Dry, with very excited carbonation. Prickly.

O - At $18, it's a bit hard to justify getting this again. While not entirely off, it's out of my spectrum. I don't mind having this as a birthday beer, but it's difficult to approach.

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

There has been a lot of hype about this beer. For about 6 months, I have been looking forward in popping the top off this one. The thing about this beer is that you have to go into it with an open mind, it's much different from an average beer. The style, Biere de Champagne / Biere Brut isnt't for every one. In this case, tasters must have an open mind when pouring their fizzy, foamy Infinium into glasses.

Another thing to consider, is the history behind this brew. Now, Sam Adams, has been around for 25ish Years now, but Weihenstephan has been around since 1040AD, and is by now the oldest ON-GOING brewery... not the oldest ever, but the oldest around. Now, another thing to consider is the style of beer Sam Adams and Weihenstephan picked, it is a rare style that is seen in Belgium and France which is not commonly seen in to many places even in the respected countries they are known to be from.

Finally, the opening:

The beer popped, with a fizzy like, "champagne" feel, or I guess Sparkling Wine, and poured into my glass a thin, straw yellow color, that glowed with bubbly intensity. The fizzy carbonation made a quick and tantalizing head, which was very effervescent. The aroma was somewhat sweet characterized from the malt, but crisp.

The overall aroma, was of lightly roasted sweet malts, banana peels, citrus, and some hoppy & yeasty notes.

The taste, was dry, kind of crisp on the palate, which was accompanied by a floral, apple, and citrus notes... followed up by some hop bitterness, and a firm alcohol finish, which was smooth but noticeable.

Overall, I was impressed with this beer, I didn't think that Sam Adams would have pulled it off, and I thought that Weihenstephan was being a little ambitious with this interesting collaboration, but I think it was very nice. Another keen point many beer connoisseurs miss on this one, is that it is approachable by the mainstream and the select palate alike. This is crucial fro marketing it, and marketing their products, I'm sure this isn't going to be the last collaboration that Sam Adams does with Weihenstephan.

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

Thanks (I guess. . . well I didn't have to buy, so it had that going for it) to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2012.

Dark yellow pour with lots of haze. Weird head formation, lots of carbonation, but they never amount to anything that retains itself, its just upward effervesence that drifts off into the atmosphere. Aroma was floral pungency, like cheap perfume where the alcohol is really prominent and aged on soaked rotting wood.

Taste, ugh, alcohol still really prominent, and not in a nice warming kind of way. Some wheat mouthfeel if you can hack through the alcohol. Coriander used with a heavy hand. Slight banana yeast flavor. Plenty bready. Lots of pale malt. Sweetness as if it was a corn based malt liquor moreso than whatever the hell it really is. A hodgepodge of stuff. Mostly terrible stuff.

What is really appalling is the price tag on these, they're still sitting at $19.99 in Reno, at the end of 2012. Would never buy at a price tag above $1.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A little outrageous price wise, this is a beer that has been well marketed in beer mags/even local press the Post Gazette has a good write up on it.

To be honest when I saw this bottle at my local here in town at Valley Wine Cellar, I had to think it over. Do I really want a 20 dollar bottle of beer, that I know nothing about? I decided to take the dive. This one uncorked beautifully with a loud pop, and pours effervescently much like a bottle of champagne. I don't see how they recreated a new style of beer there are a handful of brut biers out there like Deus off the top of my head. Pours a deep honey golden hue with a large white head forming thick, as it dwindles down large bands of white lacing stick to my fluted large pilsner glass. Nose is really interesting a blend of syrupy notes and green apple cider and white grapes pretty interesting mix. Even a touch of caramel glides in here from the malt content, a light herbal/grassiness from the hops. Flavor provides bountiful sweet fruit tones with warming green apple/white grape and bready yeast notes. Dry finish tingles the back of the throat, flavor wise alcohol doesn't peak through it's more in the warming in the stomach that gives the abv away. Medium bodied slightly cloying finish between the dryness and the nutty caramel cloying kick that doesn't fit in the picture. Carbonation wasn't my issue it just wasn't an enjoyable experience, a beer that should pass as the hype dwindles down. I would rather buy both a Sam Adams 12 pack sampler and a Weihenstephan gift pack four around 27 dollars where I would get 5 16oz bottles with a wheat beer glass and a 12 pack of 12 ounce samplers instead of 20 bucks for a corked 750 ml bottle. As it warms this beer becomes basically undrinkable, horrible cloying peanut/yeast breadiness with a sour tart finish. Tastes like a bad strong malt liquor, with rotten bannas and granny smith apples.

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

(Served in a flute)
2011 vintage
A- This beer has a strong pop of the cork resulting in a glass full of white foam. Soon a crystal clear dark caramel colored body forms with a slow motion carbonation. The subsequent glasses have a boiling carbonation.

S- The fruity esters of pineapple mix with a cinnamon spice hop quality and some sweet fresh wort aromas. There is a Noble hop pellet bitterness that grows as the beer opens up. There is a lot going on but overall it is a light aroma.

T- The dry alcohol flavor has some sweet caramel wort flavors and a field corn flavor in the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a big alcohol bite in the finish.

O- The boozy thin caramel flavored water is a bit hard to drink. It doesn't have any champagne-like qualities. Everything is out of balance with alcohol heat and sugar sweet being way to strong with the carbonation trying to do its part but it is still not crisp. I don't know if you chilled this in the freezer for a bit if it was designed to taste better ice cold? I don't think age would help this, especially with the sweetness.

2.31/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from that big old bottle it comes in into a glass. Anything less would be uncivilized, and also unwieldy. That's a heavy bottle.

The beer looked just fine as it settled in the glass. A slightly hazy yellow/honey color. Looked inviting enough.

Had a very fruity nose. Reminded me of apples, and of other beers of a similar style. Less inviting to me. Personal preferences and all that.

Not too happy with the taste. Again, I got a heavy apple taste, with sour hints. Considering this is brewed with champagne yeasts, I don't feel weird using 'dry' to describe it.

It drinks like a heavy champagne for obvious reasons, with a very crisp feel at the beginning and end.

Drinkability is low. I certainly wouldn't want too much of this one.

All in all, not one of the better I've had from Sam.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)