Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev -20.1%

750mL bottle served into a tulip

Pours a crystal-clear amber color. I almost expect to find a fly in it, ala Jurassic Park. Two fingers plus or soft, soapy off-white head. Lacing is pretty meh, actually, despite the amount of foam. Still, that abundantly translucent body is nice to look at.

Weird nose. I'm not sure that it's good, but it is interesting. Lots of phenolic astringency up front, like rubbing alcohol. Past that, I pick up some pear skin and a little bit of white grape. As the beer warms, I get some apple-like flavors. Some sniffs it reminds me of apple juice, others it reminds me of the tiny dehydrated apple chunks that you find in apple-cinnamon flavor Quaker oatmeal. There's a also strong, sour-mash malt flavor going on with warmth that I don't find particularly appealing. Having no experience with the style, I have to hazard a guess that this is only very slightly above average, if even that. It has some complexity, even if I don't much care for it. I'm going back to type that some of the complexity gets washed out as the beer warms. The malts take over some of the pleasant white grape.

I'll tell you right up front that I don't really like the taste of this beer. It has a malt component that reminds me of Colt 45, of straight-up malt liquor. It's pungent booze-and-apples. Take some malt liquor and toss in some noble hops and ferment it in such a way so as to get some band-aid phenols going, and you have this beer. This is too boozy for my enjoyment. And not really complex or unique, despite the price point. It's blunt fruit and alcohol heat. Whoopee.

Not as prickly with carbonation as I expected a methode champnoise made beer to be. It's pretty thick, actually, which befits the malt flavors, I suppose. It reminds me of the mouthfeel in Dr. Pepper -- it thickens up and becomes very sudsy in the mouth. This isn't a drinkable beer by any standard, really. You taste and feel every bit of its 10.3% ABV, it is blunt and unsatisfactory to my palate. And if you want to factor in price, well, this beer becomes a hideous affront to value.

It was worth trying this, I suppose. But I would not recommend that people trade for this, or even buy it unless you're splitting it with someone (as I am with FernMaster right now). Count this my first beer disappointment of 2011.

2.58/5  rDev -20.1%

750ml bottle opened on New Years Eve and shared with nonstick. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - POurs a crystal clear golden amber color. 3 fingers of fluffy white head sit on top and show great staying power. Goog lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S - Buttery - over the top buttery! Bready malt, herbal aromas (can't identify), light cloves and bubblegum, sugar...a little bit on the weird side.

T - Buttery, popcorn...bready malt, alcohol. Not a big fan of this.

M - Rough...super buttery, lite booziness. Too much for me.

D - Not loving this. Butter overwhelms and kills it for me. Trying to force this one down but not really happy about it. Ultimately this ended up a drainpour for both of us.

2.56/5  rDev -20.7%

Served in a champagne glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

Here's how a beer geek ushers in the new year: a champagne-styled beer. It pours a clear golden amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises green apple, rice, corn, and that lemon-lime mixture that so many sodas have been built around. The taste holds notes of wheat, corn syrup, light fusels, and toasted rice husks. Not yum here. The body is a light medium, with an active carbonation, a fizzy feel, and a very dry finish. Overall, I applaud the experimentation, but the final product does not do it for me at all. I could only finish my small glass by turning it into a shot. Not at all what I was hoping for, I can tell you that.

2.54/5  rDev -21.4%

I dig this bottle, straight off a steam punk airship. I served the Infinium in a stein.

Appearance- The ridiculous carbonation tells me this really belongs in a champagne glass, but seeing as I don't drink champagne...

When it settles, there is still an enormous three and a half finger lump of white foam. The lacing is also very chunky and clings hard to the side of the glass.

The body is an auburn-gold with tons of fast rising bubbles.

Smell- The champagne yeast comes off earthy and slightly chalky, not really that appetizing as it butts up against some very sweet pear and imitation watermelon, almost plastic like aromas. Weird.

Taste- The front of the drink imitates the champagne-like and plasticy, sweet flavors. Then the pear starts to mix with a slight tinny note.

The finish is more champagne and band-aid, with some sweet and earthy intimations thrown in. This is just a strange and unpleasant mess.

Mouth feel- At least Infinium is medium bodied and fairly smooth. Hang on, how does that happen with so much carbonation and a champagne back bone? Just as bad as it sounds to be honest.

Overall- This beer has two masters and is serving neither. The flavors mix as well as water and oil. The fruity character of the beer and the champagne come off chalky and plastic like.

Maybe if the body had been crisp and bubbly it could have been salvaged, but it falls flat.

2.51/5  rDev -22.3%

Wow, what a let down celebrating new year. I didn't expect a great beer, but at least something drinkable. Thankfully I had other beers for back up duty.
Pours a faded golden color with a massive, big, fluffy white head. Has promise to be crisp or carbonated, just what I was looking for.

Aroma is faded a bit it seems. Dried apricot, white grapes, sweetened caramel and some green grass.

Uh, taste falls flat on its face. Super sweet caramel, musky grass, stale or severely overripe pear. Blah.

No carbonation whatsoever belying the foam from the pour. Flat and slick. Boozy. Nobody liked it...poured half the bottle out--kept the bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)