Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros

smi, Apr 14, 2012

hannydawg, Dec 18, 2011

beertardis, Mar 18, 2013

ColdAudio, Apr 16, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -23%

I dig this bottle, straight off a steam punk airship. I served the Infinium in a stein.

Appearance- The ridiculous carbonation tells me this really belongs in a champagne glass, but seeing as I don't drink champagne...

When it settles, there is still an enormous three and a half finger lump of white foam. The lacing is also very chunky and clings hard to the side of the glass.

The body is an auburn-gold with tons of fast rising bubbles.

Smell- The champagne yeast comes off earthy and slightly chalky, not really that appetizing as it butts up against some very sweet pear and imitation watermelon, almost plastic like aromas. Weird.

Taste- The front of the drink imitates the champagne-like and plasticy, sweet flavors. Then the pear starts to mix with a slight tinny note.

The finish is more champagne and band-aid, with some sweet and earthy intimations thrown in. This is just a strange and unpleasant mess.

Mouth feel- At least Infinium is medium bodied and fairly smooth. Hang on, how does that happen with so much carbonation and a champagne back bone? Just as bad as it sounds to be honest.

Overall- This beer has two masters and is serving neither. The flavors mix as well as water and oil. The fruity character of the beer and the champagne come off chalky and plastic like.

Maybe if the body had been crisp and bubbly it could have been salvaged, but it falls flat.

Pintofbrown, Jan 14, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -23%

Wow, what a let down celebrating new year. I didn't expect a great beer, but at least something drinkable. Thankfully I had other beers for back up duty.
Pours a faded golden color with a massive, big, fluffy white head. Has promise to be crisp or carbonated, just what I was looking for.

Aroma is faded a bit it seems. Dried apricot, white grapes, sweetened caramel and some green grass.

Uh, taste falls flat on its face. Super sweet caramel, musky grass, stale or severely overripe pear. Blah.

No carbonation whatsoever belying the foam from the pour. Flat and slick. Boozy. Nobody liked it...poured half the bottle out--kept the bottle.

Mebuzzard, Jan 02, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to inebriatedjoker for popping this. I've wanted to try it, but I was never going to spend $20 on a bottle.

Appearance
This beer has a really great presentation, and is a pretty enough beer. It has a coarse, tall head comprised of really loose, craggy bubbles. The head isn't very champagne like. The color is nice. Its a deep, orange gold with a moderate haze.

Aroma
Yeesh. Lots of butterscotch push through a sturdy, earthy hopping. The two aromas clash.

Taste
This isn't as bad as I had expected, but it's certainly not good. It starts citrusy with candied oranges. That quickly fades to an extreme, artificial tasting butterscotch flavor that dominates the experience. A bit of a biscuit malt base gets more noticeable with warmth (because my glass took me a while). The finish is the worst part by far. Its all butterscotch pudding with a heavy shot of alcohol and some medicinal bitterness to boot.

Mouthfeel
Slick and oily with a burdensome weight. The exact opposite of how champagne feels.

Overall
Champagne inspired? Either I haven't had enough champagne, or the folks at Sam Adams and Weinhenstephan haven't had enough champagne. Either way, this beer is pointless. The alcohol is too high and the off flavors dominate.

MbpBugeye, Jul 17, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

New Year's 2011 beer, and the New Year started off pretty rough...

$20 for 750ml @ JB's in Spokane, WA

Poured to champagne flute.

A: Honey ale with just a hair of cloudiness. Two finger white head loosely dissipates to single finger, which remains during the duration. Small fine champagne bubbling reiterates the head.

S: Wow, butterscotch! Like a bomb of diacetyl was ignited in the bottle. Once I am able to dive down below the scotcheroo, I find apple skins, nougat, and hints of vanilla and oak.

T: Sweet, sweet. Some grain, bavarian yeast flavor, some florals. Some dried apricots. And something that took me awhile to place: raw almonds.

M: This beer is a paradox in the mouth, one of it's saving graces. Difficult to describe: heavy, light, bubbly, smooth.

D: For over 100 years of quality brewing experience, this couldn't be the best beer they could come up with. I appreciate their attempt at exploring a new style, but when it comes across as a poorly crafted Faro beer, I have to feel let down. Proclaiming this to be a beer drinkers alternative to champagne or sparkling wine, is a fail. Too sweet for most drinkers I know. This is a great alternative to champagne for a Riesling or Gewurtstraminer wine drinker.

harrymel, Jan 03, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

Bought a bottle last year anticipating I would open it on New Year's Day. Missed that chance so I hung onto it for a very special occasion. Kept cold in my beer fridge for what seems to be a year. Was well aware the best before date was July 2011. Yesterday was my 1-year wedding anniversary so I popped open the bottle finally to celebrate with my wife. Was expecting a champagne-like beer because I swear that's what this beer was billed as by Sammy A.

Poured a clear bubbly, slightly dark hued gold color. Maybe a little amber tint to it. Was expecting a champagne color, but we are talking beer here so I understand the difference. Great carbonation present throughout. Seemed pretty darn close to a glass of champagne after being poured. Even the head quickly rose to the top of my flute glass. Had to wait a few minutes, then poured some more to get a full glass. Impressive appearance.

Smell and taste is where this one lacked. Had an odd, slightly funky note to it. Thought it may have gone bad but given I had kept it cold I had my doubts that it was strictly from its age. Also, other reviews seem to have reported similar findings. Didn't really taste appealing much at all. We finished the bottle, but I did take my time doing so.

Mouthfeel was nice. Had the bubbly like a bottle of champagne would have. Light & mostly refreshing notwithstanding the odd taste.

Overall, I'm glad to have finally tried it. I like that Sam Adams set out to make yet another intriuging and unique beer. Not sure if it was worth the $20+ price tag, but I would try it again if I could find a fresh bottle and drink it well before the best buy date.

jwhancher, Nov 07, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

A- For a complex expected beer this was surprisingly golden amber-colored, clear and filtered. The intended bubbles of this style were not present and with a half finger head.

S- Aroma from this beer fruity, with apple, pear and spice. Overall quite appealing.

T- The initial flavor screamed of fermented apple cider with a ton of added malt. Imagine yourself on a deserted island with only caramels and apples and you must melt them down as your only source of sustenance. After a few days you find a skanky hop bush and throw a few hops in at the end just so you know that they are there. Very little hoppiness is present, maybe only at the end.

M- The carbonation is similar to that of champagne with very small bubbles that are easily detected with each sip. Somewhat thin but coats the mouth.

D- Overall each sip became less bearable. The flavors wore on you and just were not that desirable. I could not imagine drinking more than one glass at a sitting as this beer was high in alcohol content and strongly flavored.

Notes- This beer was purchased at a local watering hole and served in pint glasses. The champagne flutes depicted in the in the advertisement were not given to us by the female bartender. It was worth trying as we were very curious but I would not purchase again especially at the price and just was not that enjoyable.

Peace, Love, Big Tuna

BigTuna612, Dec 18, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -25.5%

Wonderful looking corked bottle. Extra points for presentation. As for the pour, nice orange colour with a medium off-white head. Unfortunately, the head disappears rather quickly and the beer is left looking flat and boring.

The nose is the best part of this beer. Some breadiness and yeast along with sweet, ripened fruits. Promising.

The taste of this beer is where it fell apart for me. Not what I was expecting at all and not a pleasant surprise either. Overly sweet. Very little complexity or balance. Somewhat medicinal. Hints of apricot where burried underneath the sugary sweetness and an off flavour I can't put my finger on. Almost reminded me of Tang drink crystals.

I actually wondered if this was actually the beer they intended to brew or did I open a ridiculously off bottle?

If not for the extra marks given for presentation, my score would have been even lower. I don't find anything pleasant about this beer & I doubt I will ever buy another.

Popsinc, Feb 20, 2011
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)