1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,036 | Reviews: 504 | Show All Ratings:
WOBrewstraveler

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this aged bottle well past the enjoy by date - so this may not be entirely fair. Aged 16 months, not recommended 6. Beautiful hazy caramelly, orange color. Nose was Belgian-y, like a quad, and sweet with some alchohol. The champagne bubbles - still enough to overflow the bottle upon popping the cork - strip flavors off the tongue and cut the sweetness. This is good as the flavors are brown sugar, rock candy and malts sweet, again similar to a quad. Overall - glad we tried it, no off flavors from over-aging. It was an experience, not a go-to.

02-15-2014 00:19:09 | More by WOBrewstraveler
Brewster40

2.01/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Wow. I really wanted to like this beer.

A - really looked great. Made me want to drink it. Pale orange/amber with a lingering head. Very fine bubbles.

S - I literally winced. Some sort of rotting apricots mixed with cheese or bread or.... Not sure.

T - not good. Sorry. I hate even writing this. It tastes like some sort of weird blend of off apricots, Belgian triple and salt (yes salt).

M - admittedly hard to judge given the taste. That said, a little heavy, despite the finer bubbles which were the best part.

O- I enjoy and appreciate beer. I believe I have had nearly everything and I respect the different styles. I have to say that I had infinium 2 years ago and it was much better. Not world class, but much better. Back then I was thinking "Wow, this beer has potential". Sorry to say I may have tasted it at its best back then.

10-19-2013 00:11:57 | More by Brewster40
joeboe2001

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

I feel like there are three or four factors impacting reviews of this beer.

1) Its a bit costly--though we received the bottle we drank as a Christmas present.

2) Many folks are comparing it to beers they have had in the past.

3) Many folks are keeping it in the bottle far too long--one for10 years!

4) Many folks drank it with closed minds.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the appearance of the bottle my wife and I drank, and I say that confidently even though we drank it on 12/31/11. It was absolutely crisp and clear, as was the slightly fruity smell and the excellent dry taste. Mouthfeel was as expected--comparable to some of the better champagnes we have had. It was an excellent substitue for champagne, and reminded me of some of the better altbiers I have experienced. Despite the price, I would buy it again.

09-12-2013 14:58:23 | More by joeboe2001
homebrew311

2.78/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Logged from notes. Appearance is cloudy and orange with fizzy white head. Nose is full of white grapes and honey with a slight tartness present. The flavor is incredibly sweet and definitely crosses into the cloying arena. There is no dryness or tannins to helps mellow this out which is unfortunate. The mouthfeel is thick and well carbonated. Overall, this is pretty uninspiring.

08-12-2013 07:19:08 | More by homebrew311
Alextricity

3.61/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dated 2010. Drink by July '11... well, it's June '13.

$20 bottle that my sister brought to a BBQ. Poured this into a crystal wine-like glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy at the top of the bottle, pretty hazy by the bottom. The color is a mostly yellow sort of look. Pretty nice head, though it doesn't last long. No lacing.

Smell: Kind of Belgian. Sour grapes, mostly.

Taste/feel: I thought the rating here would be higher. The alcohol is nonexistent (being aged 3 years has no doubt helped that) in the flavor, and the sweetness and sourness that the flavor provides is balanced pretty nicely by a subtle bitterness. It's a lot of sour grape flavors, really. The carbonation was surprisingly high for being as old as it was. I thought this really drank pretty well.

This isn't a beer I'd drink often, but I most definitely enjoyed it.

06-23-2013 22:10:00 | More by Alextricity
BMMillsy

3.64/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 Vintage poured on 4/22/13. Says enjoy before July 2012. Whatevs. Pours clear light copper with a big frothy head. Aroma of funky yeast, pear, peaches, mango, pineapple, and a hint of spice (coriander?). Some definite honey aroma. Actually quite aromatic and fruity. Flavor has a sharp strange bite. Almost like it is sour. Very dry with lots of carbonation. Light and slick mouthfeel. The sharpness takes away from what seems to be a nice fruity Belgian/Saison brew. Did something go wrong? Not bad overall, but this could have been better. Does seem to grow on me as it goes, with fruit flavors coming out.

05-03-2013 00:58:56 | More by BMMillsy
mfnmbvp

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

750 ml bottle, vintage 2011. Thanks to my homie mfndsvp for sharing this bottle. Served into a Shock Top hefeweizen glass. My second review of a collaboration beer on BeerAdvocate.

A - Gentle pour yields like five fingers of ridiculous head. Body is a light cloudy golden orange color with tons of bubble action rushing to the top.

S - Has a fruity pineapple nose, slight hint of Belgian yeast / funk in there also. Has a very unique smell to it, I will give it that.

T - Feel is carbonated, some tart citrus reminiscent of fresh juicy pineapple, Belgian yeast, touch of hop bitterness, and some alcohol warmth, but the 10.30% abv is masked well. Finishes slightly sour.

M - Feel is juicy, fruity, bitter, and dry in the finish.

Overall, a unique beer experience, probably one that I won't soon forget. Glad to have gotten to try it, since I wasn't about to take the plunge for 20 dollars. Not a beer I will be having again any time soon, especially considering it's price tag, but this is one of the more far-out creations from the Boston Beer Company.

Samuel Adams / Weihenstephan Infinium ---3.5/5

04-17-2013 22:07:41 | More by mfnmbvp
patra7

Greece

3.36/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The most impressive head I’ve ever seen in a beer: 4-5 fingers tall, fairly long-lasting, with an off-white/light-beige color with a golden tint. Same in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th glass! Light orange color.
Smell: A rich range of aromas: hints of flowers like a belgian wit bier, smell of blue cheese, some traces of sourness.
Taste: A heavy tilt towards malty/sweet character is balanced by a very discreet sourness.
Mouthfeel: Slightly oily texture, medium to full body, medium to high carbonation.
Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable ( I managed the whole 750mls on my own) despite the beer 's “heavy” character.

02-16-2013 00:21:51 | More by patra7
Radome

4.1/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought the 750 ml bottle in a Duty Free shop at the Munich airport in Dec 2012. There were lots of bottles on the shelf and mine had a bottling date of 1 Nov 2012. It looks like it is being actively brewed.

A - Dark copper color with lots of red. The beer is amazingly clear and bright. Creamy off-white head is a good 2-3 cm thick on initial pour and lasts very well. This is a beautiful beer.

S - The aroma is similar to a doppelbock, but it has some Belgian-like characteristics also. Bready malt, crisp, earthy German hops. There is a distinct green apple smell and maybe some grapes or white wine. No alcohol in aroma.

T - The taste is not as impressive as the aroma. Again there is a similarity to a doppelbock, but without the depth of malt flavors. There is some bready malt, but it is drowned out mid-palate by green apple and boozy alcohol. Moderate hops bitterness. Sweet finish. Probably the best comparison I can make is to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree.

M - Thick body. High carbonation and hops bitterness combine to give a harsh mouthfeel. Some alcohol burn as well.

O - This is a good beer, but with flaws. The flavors are not very complex or deep and it has a sharp, acrid mouthfeel. I put it on a level with and very similar to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree. It is enjoyable and I'm glad I tried it, but it is not an all-time favorite for me.

02-11-2013 22:18:39 | More by Radome
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 2 year old 750 ml. bottle. sampled on January 20, 2013.

It pours orange-copper, slightly cloudy, with a decent, long-lasting off-white head.

The aroma is of orange and other citrus notes with notes of yeast, Belgian sugar, pale malts, and light spices.

The body is medium.

The taste has the Belgian malts and mellow sweetness of a Dubbel at first but ends with the tartness of a Belgian Tripel.

I found this on a convenience store shelf for $5.99 and the aging improved it.

01-21-2013 00:31:41 | More by puboflyons
suspect

3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

2010 vintage...suggested enjoy by date July 2011. Enjoyed New Year's Eve/Early Morning 2013 and split among friends.

A: Deep orange color and crystal clear. Fizzy one-finger head dissipates quickly and leaves not much lacing.

S: Yeast, soured fruit, malts and some funk. The kind of funk that isn't great...not terrible though. I've definitely smelled worse.

T: Not bad! Brings together a lot of ingredients into a pretty consistent, decent flavor. It's got some sweetness to it with some yeasty bitterness. Not much hop bitter.

M: Fizzy but creamy. Leaves a weird oily feel.

O: Not terrible...was definitely expecting worse. CERTAINLY not worth the price point but also one that I was glad to share with friends.

01-03-2013 01:57:26 | More by suspect
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from bottle into flute on NYE. Had bottle for one year...
Pours a dark golden almost burnt golden color with lots of foamy head. Nice sweet malt aromas, mixed with a deep grape like aroma. Taste is very grape/champagne like but mixed with a bit of malt and ever so slight noble hop. Its somewhat heavy, but lively. I just dont get why people dont like this brew? Its really different with a good flavor. Obviously not an every day brew, but its really a nice alternative to champagne for the beer drinker.

01-01-2013 15:58:03 | More by DrinkSlurm
PittBeerGirl

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Atypical review alert.

Ok. So I paid $20+ for this beer-2 yrs ago. Thought it would be a great new years beer to share with my friends-who love the local brewpub. cellared it properly and all. Body is a golden color and pours with a big foamy white head. Head eventually fades.

Ok smelland taste- here's the thing. My friend brought this up and its totally true. This beer tastes like speghetti. Imagine an Italian beer dinner with no food. Mamma Pizza beer and this "champagne" beer between two elite brewers. Holy crap! Liquid pizza and speghetti! Awesome! Or not.

I felt obligated to apologize for offering this to my friends as a toast.

01-01-2013 06:01:30 | More by PittBeerGirl
ummswimmin

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

I found this bottle about 6 months ago at a local liquor store. The owner offered it for 50% off since it was a 'found' case in the back storeroom. I immediately started chilling it since it was due to expire soon.

I cracked it open tonight for a Christmas dinner with the family. I figured that the fruityness in the beer would pair well with ham.

I poured the beer into champagne flutes to match the style. Not surprisingly, I had a lot of head in the initial pour. The coloring is very hazy orange, brown.

The nose is like a mature sour. I like the balance of venous/champagne-like qualities. You get a lot of active yeast in there.

The flavor is a challenge. The sour is turned up to 11. The bubbles play well, but the flavor doesn't work here.

This was an interesting beer, but I won't go out of my way to pick up another bottle.

12-26-2012 01:18:17 | More by ummswimmin
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Like the promo tag on the bottle says, drinks like a champagne. A really oddball style, but then that strikes me as true Sam Adams penchant for experimentation - no fear!

Pours hazy golden amber with a big spritzy champagne-style head. That quickly dissipates leaving a film, no lace. Lots of sparkle from carbonation. Nose is very fruity and honey sweet with noticeable alcohol. Comes across like some Belgians. Overall, just a little too sweet and boozy to be really appetizing.

Sour fruit to taste, really juicy in character, lots of alcohol. Some bite from alcohol and a touch of spice. Finishes with a dry alcohol burn. More like champagne or sparkling white wine than beer in a lot of ways.

As a beer experience, nothing special. Not enough interesting beery stuff going on. Big bottle, so find someone to share with.

12-05-2012 03:23:53 | More by TerryW
colts9016

Idaho

2.85/5  rDev -11.8%

I appreciate this beer because donkeyrunner gave it to me. I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time now.
Poured into a tulip glass at 41 degrees.
Appearance: a 3 finger head that was slightly off white, foamy, and bubbly. The head had fair retention. The color of the beer is a medium orange color with a reddish yellow tint. The clarity of the beer is cloudy probably from the yeast. Some carbonation is still visible with this two year old beer.
Nose: The alcohol is present followed by the malt aroma. The malt is toasty, caramel, and has a biscuit note. The champagne yeast leads to a Belgian style aroma in the notes. Other aromas in the beer are citrus, vanilla, green apple, and a slight barnyard note.
Taste: A brute champagne flavor is predominate on the palate. The malt is lightly toasted with grass, grain, and caramel notes. Other flavors in the beer are floral, citrus, vanilla, and a barnyard funk.
Mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, slightly astringent, sour, and crisp.
Overall: The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium. This is one unique beer. Although there is really not a lot going on in the beer it presents differently on the palate versus other styles. I really think this beer could have been much better that what it was. I am glad I got to try it though!

12-02-2012 03:57:16 | More by colts9016
stcules

Italy

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Brewed by Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan.
Amber-orange color, a lot of faom, creamy. Very fizzy.
Malt and honey in the smell, along with peach, raisins, pineapple, figs perhaps.
In the mouth againmalt, but with fizzy effects of dried flowers from the strong carbonation. Fresh flowery and fruity notes.
Champagne beer, better in the mouth than at the nose.
Inthe aftertaste some pear, and an interesting yeast note, quite long.
The alcohol is absolutely well hidden.

11-28-2012 19:21:59 | More by stcules
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.75/5  rDev -45.8%

Thanks (I guess. . . well I didn't have to buy, so it had that going for it) to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2012.

Dark yellow pour with lots of haze. Weird head formation, lots of carbonation, but they never amount to anything that retains itself, its just upward effervesence that drifts off into the atmosphere. Aroma was floral pungency, like cheap perfume where the alcohol is really prominent and aged on soaked rotting wood.

Taste, ugh, alcohol still really prominent, and not in a nice warming kind of way. Some wheat mouthfeel if you can hack through the alcohol. Coriander used with a heavy hand. Slight banana yeast flavor. Plenty bready. Lots of pale malt. Sweetness as if it was a corn based malt liquor moreso than whatever the hell it really is. A hodgepodge of stuff. Mostly terrible stuff.

What is really appalling is the price tag on these, they're still sitting at $19.99 in Reno, at the end of 2012. Would never buy at a price tag above $1.

11-28-2012 00:06:13 | More by Beerandraiderfan
BlackBelt5112203

South Carolina

2.6/5  rDev -19.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L – Cloudy pale amber color with a huge 7-finger cream-colored bubbly head. Great retention and nice lacing. Tons of bubbles.

S – The smell of champagne is apparent along with sour apples and peppery yeast. Kind of a conglomerate of aromas, but it smells alright.

T – This may be the first beer that I’ve had in which I have absolutely no idea what’s going on – and not in a good way. I’m getting sour apples and grapes, sweet bready malt, spicy peppery yeast, dry champagne, and buttery diacetyl. I have no idea how this style is supposed to taste, but this can’t be it.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with tons of carbonation, a buttery mouthfeel, and a spicy, dry, and somewhat astringent finish. Tart grape lingers for a little bit.

O – This beer is not good. Like I said, I have no idea what this style is supposed to resemble, but this can’t be it. I tend to review beers based on how they fit their given style. This means that even if I’m not a fan of a given style, a beer can still get high marks. That said, this beer is downright offensive. I can’t imagine that an entire style would be offensive to me. There have been very, very few beers that I have had trouble finishing. This is one of them, even with splitting the bottle with someone. Very disappointing, especially given the price tag and the reputations of the collaborating breweries.

11-27-2012 21:46:11 | More by BlackBelt5112203
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

weird how little people like this, i thought it was pretty solid, although i had a bottle more than two years old. the pour was nothing special, cloudy and dull wheat color, looks like a hefe. the nose is crazy yeast, sweet booze, some strange fruity essences, and rotting wood. flavor is a little less disjointed than the nose, but the yeast is so weird it takes over. theres like a fermented peach or pear flavor to it, that works with the yeast. dry and stinging finish. i like the mouthfeel for what it is, smooth with an alcohol burn and more bubbles than most beers with this kind of age on them usually have. overall i think it probably missed the mark a little but, but its an ambitious brew with no shortage of complexity. i might pick up a newer bottle for the holidays, its got that kind of feel.

11-11-2012 18:57:32 | More by StonedTrippin
jera1350

Thanks to Ben for sharing this one with me. Vintage 2011.

Glowing orange color with a foamy tan head.

Lots of citrus juice and zest in the nose. Orange juice and peel.

Huge citrus taste. Orange juice, some lemon and grapefruit. Citrus fruit juice sweetness. Tastes like Surly Syx without the huge boozy burn. Wonderful flavor.

Medium feel, mildly dry, somewhat juicy also. Carbonation is ho hum.

Really enjoyed this beer. Doesn't really fit the style in my opinion, but the overall product is wonderful. Drinks more like a beer in the 6-7% range.

10-27-2012 16:44:53 | More by jera1350
Raven3464

Japan

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: It pours a dark copper body with a large amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet malts, alcohol, sour grapes, and maybe a hint of apple can be detected. Nothing becomes more noticeable as the beer warms except maybe the booze.

Taste: It sort of follows the nose. There is a sweet fruity taste up front followed by a punch of grape juice and alcohol in the aftertaste. There is a decent balance but the "beer" tastes are only barely recognizable. It reminds me more of a full bodied white wine.

Mouth feel: The large amount of carbonation creates an extremely dry and spicy sensation in the throat. This is probably the most interesting part of this brew.

Overall: This is an interesting experiment but I do not think I would buy it again. It is certainly not horrible but it does not taste or feel like a beer. It came off as an easy to drink champagne and it really was not by cup of tea...er...beer.

10-20-2012 15:10:58 | More by Raven3464
magictacosinus

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Ahh, about time I got a bottle of this. Weihenstephan is one of my favorites, and Sam Adams is highly regarded in my life concerning craft beer, so hearing about them collaborating on a budget-priced champagne beer seems like a match made in heaven. Was happy to get this bottle as a gift, especially considering that these are getting harder to find. Poured into a Blanche de Chambly "champagne" glass out of a beautiful looking 750ml bottle. States the year "2011" on the neck.

As expected, pours a highly carbonated, yet amber bronze color, which was definitely not expected. Fresher batches appear to be more golden in color, but this quickly reveals itself to be a product that combines aspects of these two breweries. There's a glowing, yeasty form towards the end, with enormous alcohol leggings. This, as well as a fantastic head that sadly dies down after a few minutes, makes this a near perfect looking beer in this style.

Aromas are instantly strong and noticeable. Immediately, I get caramelized flavors that criss-cross with each other in truly exaggerated ways, such as banana, burnt caramel, toffee malts, and tons of honey. So, in other words, extremely sweet and sugared up. While this is usually a danger territory for me, I believe the aging has played a valuable process on the beer. Malts persevere, but it's really the alcohol and yeasty flavor that get me here. Hops are pretty much inexistent, and theres barely a hint of spiciness as a result. How will this all hold up in flavor? Le's see.

The first thing I can say in a first sip is that it's smooth, and extremely easy to drink as a result. The aging process has really played a significant role here, and it contains the smoothness of liquored, highly alcoholic malty beers I've had in the past. Overall, the caramelized banana flavors abound, but there are other sweet flavors, which range in and out from a pleasant to rather astringent degree, depending how big of a sip you take. What this reminds me of is a Like a fruity crème brûlée, typically one packed with such banana flavors. I do wish, if trying to be a true emulation of champagne that this had more of a Belgian yeasty flavor resembling white grapes, but I suppose I'll have to try DeuS one day! Definitely better consumed when very cold… As this warms up, the sweet flavors get really oppressive. Alcohol is highly hidden, which made this deadly to drink – I sipped my two glasses I had, but that was enough to do some significant damage, and I'm glad I got to split this (one glass would have been enough).

While I was really hesitant to try this – which I did *before* I read all the mixed to negative feedback – this still proved to be a type of beer that I've never had before. It's extremely complex, and contains tons of subtle aspects to it as well, but it's unique in its own right. As someone who loves bananas and caramel, this turns out to be rather brilliant, even if it is pricey. I would recommend it as a gift and with autumn around, it's toasty enough for the current cold weather. I can tell these two breweries put their hearts into this one, and while it may not be the greatest beer I've had, it's definitely one of the most fascinating I'll have for now.

10-19-2012 06:53:26 | More by magictacosinus
darktower

3.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Pretty much the same as what everyone else is saying, this is definitely a novelty beer. Split a bottle with someone and we both had the 'what did we just drink' attitude. A beer/champagne cross that kinda works but kinda doesn't work. I feel it could be the start of something better but in this form, it's just all over the place. I really enjoyed that amount of carbonation, very unique but the taste/smell just didn't live up to expectations. I'd recommend trying this if you have a few friends around to share the novelty of it. As far as drinking a whole bottle yourself, good luck.

10-02-2012 19:19:41 | More by darktower
Dope

2.95/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Original batch from 2010

A: Medium amber pour with a big fizzy white head. Fades fairly quickly, leaving just a few dots behind.

S: Some overripe tropical fruit. Pineapple, apples and oranges? Some sort of mustiness to it. A bit bready.

T: Musty stale bread and lots of overripe fruit. Tart fruit, really. Odd yeastiness kicks in the middle. Finishes with a dry white wine flourish.

M: Medium bodied, fairly heavy carbonation makes it feel lighter than 10.3%

O: Very unique beer, I will give it that. Unfortunately, not in a particularly good way. It's some sort of strange crossbreed between beer and champagne, as I suppose the name implies. Lots of wine characteristics which just don't go. Tastes mostly like spoiled fruit unfortunately. I drained pour it after a few ounces. Not completely offensive but not remotely enjoyable either.

09-03-2012 03:48:43 | More by Dope
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)