Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
Reviews: 511 | Hads: 1,118
1.18/5  rDev -64.6%

Looking at this bottle, I wanted to buy it. Pouring this bottle into a glass, I wanted to drink it.

Smelling this beer made me want to vomit. It smelled like old socks worn by Jay Cutler after he had be sacked 15 times in a game.

Took a sip, instant gag. I have not disliked a beer this much since wailing wench. Utterly awful. Tastes like a mix between malt vinegar and butter. Did they even try it before they released it? Sam Adams is very good with their quality control, yet I have no idea how this beer got out. I generally like SA beers, and with the exception of cranberry lambic, this is the worst SA beer I have ever had. It might actually be worse than cranlam.

Tasted like overcarbed butterscotch butter.

Couldnt drink more than a few sips. DRAINPOUR. A real pity this beer cost 20 dollars. WELL SPENT (818 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -64.6%

Served to me blind by @LaitueGonflable.

Clear, rather pinkish golden colour, with a fine but insubstantial
head of white bubbles. Body is extremely light and weak, meaning the head has no chance to form any lacing. Looks a bit lacklustre.

Nose is insane, and rather unpleasant, to be honest. Big biscuity
malt, with funky sweetness and crushed toffee praline. It's all
overlaid with a slightly odd generic yeasty hop character. Savoury characters come through as well, with ketchup and baked beans. It's robust, but genuinely unpleasant.

Taste is similar, although the sweetness is even more prominent here. Big vegetative sweet characters, like tomato juice mixed with sugar, or toffeed baked beans, and a rigid, unyielding carbonation which forces this home. Truly quite unpleasant. Each mouthfeel has the potential to make me dry retch.

Really quite a horrible beer. And yet, I can sort of see this weird
perversity to it that makes me feel like I should like and/or respect it. There is no way in hell I want to drink this again, but I might be okay with someone serving it to me blind again some time in the future.

(Notes after I found out what it was:

Holy crap, I really had some expectations for this, but this is genuinely unpleasant. It really does not live up to expectations, and is closer to malt liquor than to a brew between two high-flying breweries like this.) (1,384 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -63.4%

I will keep this simple. The first time I bought this beer I thought it had to absolutely be infected. Then I tried it again a few weeks later and it had the same overpowering butterscotch smell and flavor. If this beer had any potential, the butterscotch ruined it. Honestly, I still hope I am drinking from any infected batch because anyone who puts this out as a product should be ashamed of themselves. (406 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -63.1%

Tried the 2010 on New Year's last year and the 2011 around the holiday's at Khoury's. Had a similarly bad experience both times with this failure of a beer. I'm not quite sure how 2 companies, especially Weihenstephaner, who make great beer decided to release this.

Appearance:
Nothing really wrong with the appearance. Poured a nice golden color with tons of carbonation.

Smell:
Get your popcorn ready! Pure butter and diacetyl. Really hard to get anything else.

Taste:
What a mess. The diacetyl definitely carries over. Its boozy to boot. Overly sweet, alcoholic butter.

Mouthfeel:
The beer is sticky. It lingers. Its heavy. Everything a Biere de Champagne shouldn't be

Drinkability:
This beer almost ruined my midnight toast on NYE. Couldn't get down more than 2 ounces before having to drain pour. The 2011 version was luckily split a few ways, but that couldn't be finished either.

I've talked to a lot of people about this beer, and my experience doesn't seem to be the exception. I'm not sure if there is a big variance from bottle to bottle on this, problems with transportation, the brewing process, or just an infection...but I dont think I'll be trying it in 2012. (1,183 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -58.3%

Based on the short description on the packaging I was expecting something more like champagne and would have been please with anything resembling a Berliner Weisse (which is the true champagne of beers), sour or wine barrel aged concoction. Unfortunatly, what Sam Adams delivers is none of those.

A - Brown and highly carbonated.
Smell - Strange. No one smell was so strong as to stand out in my mind
T - Again strange like nothing I've ever had before. In the end I could only stand about 4 oz and poured the rest.
M - The bubbles fly once you pour this in your mouth. So if bubbles are your only criteria for champagne like then yes this is champagne like
Overall - Very disappointed. I'd rather spend $20 at taco bell. (723 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -57.4%

Ok, so holly cow what a head.Poured into a champagne glass,BIG snow white head with no lacing but nice assortment of bubble sizes though.
Very effervesant brew, gold straw color.
Not much in the nose to make me believe this is beer,wow.Sweet grape type of aroma.
Interesting on the pallate, loads of carbonation with some sweet & tart wine like flavors.Very dry finish.
I could not drink much of this, glad I popped at a party to share. (436 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -53.2%

Color/appearance - a bit darker than expected. A deep hued amber/orange. Expected more of a pale, duvel-like color. Nice frothy head with med to high carbonation

Nose - Very unappealing buttery note overwhelms the nose. Smells like a diacetyl tainted lager.

Taste - Again, the buttery note is strong and not appealing to my taste. I expected something drier, and more crisp and clean (soemthing like a duvel but without as much yeasty character). Underwhelmed. Came across as very flawed - diacetyl and strange finish (like a bad homebrew note which is hard to desribe). I don't see the connection to champagne.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, but could be drier.

drinkability - very low for me due to the overwhelming buttery note. Glad to try once but totally disappointed. This beer didn't do it for me. (804 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -52.6%

Beautiful bottle presentation by the collaboration of two world class breweries, Sam Adams and Weihenstephan. I was shocked by the brew that it held. I know they can do better.
This Biere poured light colored and fizzy with minimal head. Kind of looked like Champagne. The aroma and flavor were amiss. Strong diacetyl and a sourness that appears to be Lacto induced. Bottle given to us but couldn't drink it even though free beer is supposed to taste best. Is this what the brewers wanted? (489 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -52.6%

I picked up a bottle of this on impulse from a big display. I'm a big Sam Adams fan.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a lot of carbonation going on. Not much head. The smell is slightly fruity and dry with some errant coconut. The taste is a little unexpected. What comes to mind is orange cough medicine and furniture polish. After it warms a little it's still not good. What ever the guys were going for here they missed. Somewhat heavy mouthfeel with heavy carbonation. Very unusual. I suggest passing on this beer. (522 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, what can I say, very disappointed. I feel like someone tried to carbonate maple syrup, I couldn't get past half a champagne flute. I am not sure what Sam Adams was going for here but they missed the mark. The texture of the beer is very heavy and the aroma leaves one to wonder what they were trying to achieve. In some respects it leans more toward a bad version of Utopia. (379 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -48.3%

Cracked this one open on New Year's, poured into Champagne Flutes.

A - First of all, the packaging is brilliant. Pours pale gold with a large, densely packed head of tiny bubbles that sticks around for some time. Think whipped egg whites. Lots of visible carbonation. Looks like champagne.
S - Sweet, bready malt, grapes, apples and lemon peel. Acrid alcohol burn, like cheap malt liquor. Messy.
T - Ugh. Malty bread dough, grapes, butter, and earthy hops with some spicy yeast characteristics. Definite alcohol taste and "burn" really detracts from the taste. I don't like this at all.
M - Medium-bodied with a weird oily feel. Carbonation is lower then expected. Not as Champagne-like as I'd hoped.
D - I couldn't finish a glass, let alone the bottle.

I really wanted to like this, and that was before I dropped $20 on a bottle. Oh well. (841 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

I had very high hopes for this, as I'm sure many did, and I really wasn't put off by the mixed reviews. But woof.

What starts off as a kind of vaguely Belgian/Hefe fruity-nosed pale strong ale quickly gives way to some uncomfortably strange strawberry shortcake. While it may indeed by technically dry, the round mid-palate and lack of firm bitterness leaves an impression of lingering sweetness that doesn't work. All-in-all a disappointment... and then the bottle sat and warmed to something more approaching room temperature (somewhere in the cellar temperature range) and all hell broke loose. And by "hell" I mean "diacetyl." An awful, ruinous, buttery mess. Drank closer to fridge temp I could get this down and at least be intrigued by the mildly unpleasant but unique strangeness. Towards the end this was a drain pour. I might be being a bit kind with my scores, here, frankly. (887 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -47.1%

MASSIVE thanks to Jwiss22 for sending me a free bottle. Your advocacy will not go unrewarded...

Appearance -- Pours an orange-amber hue, mild chill haze, and a frothy two finger head of the purest white. Kinda looks like carbonated apple juice with egg whites on top. Sorry…

Smell -- Apple juice, butter cookies, floral hops, and an odd vegetal aroma that i cannot put my finger one. To put it succinctly: Infinium smells like snacktime at daycare.

Taste -- Incredibly sweet, somewhere between apple juice and Andre sparkling wine. Grainy malt and dactyl brigs about a kind of butter cookie flavor that would be nice if it didn't taste like they were also soaked in apple juice. Faint vegetal bitterness, akin to green beans, does little to balance the cloying sweetness and, in fact, makes the beer even less pleasant. While the alcohol is definitely evident in the taste, it's hardly worth noting compared to the other distractions. Lingering flavor of oxidized apple wedges.

Mouthfeel -- Light-bodied, ample fizzy carbonation. Coats the mouth like cough syrup, which is pretty surprising for being such a light-bodied beer.

Overall -- In my defense, I came into this beer with an open mind. Hell, I didn't pay anything for it so it's not like I can express any kind of feeling of being swindled by the price. That said, this one isn't very good and I had a very hard time finishing one glass. If anything, the fact that this was a gift forced me to steel myself and consume my full pour.

I've had Champagne beers in the past, and overall, I like the style. Light, delicate, much like a Tripel with a finer mouthfeel. This, however, bears more resemblance to Andre than a Champagne or a proper sparkling white. The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet with plenty of off-flavor notes. The beer feels…very un-Champagne-like: fizzy, frothy, foamy, and somewhat oily.

I truly didn't want to dump on this beer. I wanted to believe that this beer was just too much not-a-DIPA for the craft beer masses to appreciate, but this really was sugary swill in a fanciful bottle. Frankly, I expect better out of Boston Beer Co., and will continue to do so in the future. (2,165 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -47.1%

The infamous Infinium. This bottle goes for something like €25 in these parts, and I can only imagine what the price tag is in Canada or the USA. I'd always been really curious about this one, but the price tag and the beer style had always made me hesitant. In comes JohnnyBarman to the rescue! Thanks a lot for bringing this one by the house man!

In anticipation of what was to come, I managed to con my dad and brother into trying a glass with me. Why savor this alone, I thought. Besides, my dad is a big Boston Lager fan, so he actually showed interest in this. I warned him it would be "different."

From a 750ml champagne bottle into a flute glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a large, fluffy, white head with decent retention. Color is a cloudy gamboge orange with lots of champagne bubbles all over the place. Basically looks like a cloudy champagne. A huge foam cap hangs around with mental carbonation supporting it, but leaves no real lacing down the glass. I guess it looks alright, but doesn’t really look like a beer.

SMELL: This is a Belgian strong pale ale with champagne yeast. Pale malts, green apples, pears, and some white grapes are definitely there. White wine or champagne is obvious as well. The champagne yeast has definitely done a number on this one. It doesn't make me happy, but I can tollerate it at least.

TASTE: Definitely like some champagne and a Belgian strong pale met in a bar, had a few drinks, then got it on. Pale malts, apples, pears, and white wine. The finish is sweet and sour, with sweet pale malts and a champagne like sourness. Alcohol is definitely there, and the bold, lingering, sweet-sour aftertaste made me cringe the whole time. Just wretched. This is asking a lot of all three of us.

PALATE: Medium body and very carbonated, though that’s to be expected for this type of beer. Light, semi-creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a dry finish. This was the best part of the beer.

OVERALL: Let’s just say I’m glad my dad and brother were good sports about this. I didn’t want to open this myself, as I was pretty sure I wouldn’t get through very much of it. I was right. I finished half my glass, my brother made it through most of his, and my dad finished the rest of the bottle because he didn’t want to waste a drop of a €1 per ounce bottle of consumable liquid. This might be a well received style in parts of the world, and this beer might even fit that style well, but this is where I draw the line. I was really glad to see the show without paying the entry fee, but I hope I never share the same space with one of these bottles again. I also don’t want a bottle of this near my other beers. Honestly glad to try the beer though, so thanks again JohnnyBarman for biting the bullet on this one. (2,777 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -46.5%

Thanks (I guess. . . well I didn't have to buy, so it had that going for it) to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2012.

Dark yellow pour with lots of haze. Weird head formation, lots of carbonation, but they never amount to anything that retains itself, its just upward effervesence that drifts off into the atmosphere. Aroma was floral pungency, like cheap perfume where the alcohol is really prominent and aged on soaked rotting wood.

Taste, ugh, alcohol still really prominent, and not in a nice warming kind of way. Some wheat mouthfeel if you can hack through the alcohol. Coriander used with a heavy hand. Slight banana yeast flavor. Plenty bready. Lots of pale malt. Sweetness as if it was a corn based malt liquor moreso than whatever the hell it really is. A hodgepodge of stuff. Mostly terrible stuff.

What is really appalling is the price tag on these, they're still sitting at $19.99 in Reno, at the end of 2012. Would never buy at a price tag above $1. (979 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -45.9%

Reading threads and threads of criticism about this brew I was still unconvinced this was as bad as it sounded. I finally opened this bottle and found it was really not good at all.

The appearance was adequate, with healthy carbonation and healthy color.
Smelled terrible, similar to rotten compost and decomposed vegetable. Each whiff I took I shuddered at the thought of indulging it with my mouth.
One of the worst tastes I've had in a long time. The rotten vegetable taste persisted. The supremely unpleasant taste was overpowered overwhelmingly with the strong butterscotch flavor. The general consensus of this brew justified itself and I concluded that this is a failure.

It was borderline drinkable at the moment. But after finishing this 750 cc. behemoth myself I've experienced malaise and gastrointestinal discomfort for the following few days. I strongly discouraged anyone from partaking this, as this mighty Infinium is as undesirable as the general population's opinions. (992 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Infinium has a bright golden/orange appearance with noticeable carbonation as the bubbles rise in the champagne glass I poured this in. Medicinal aroma mixed with some green apple and maybe some tropical fruits. Strange, almost chemical like flavor. Alcohol is very noticeable and seems much stronger than the listed 10%. Produces an almost burning sensation on the tongue as the carbonation comes to the forefront. Very disappointing collaboration between 2 normally strong breweries. (487 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Cracked open at midnight on NYE.

Pours a caramel color with inch of white head that quickly dissipated into nothing.

Smells bready and grainy with a big yeasty aroma. Spices galore as well.

Short version: bad. Taste follows the aroma, but the flavors are awful together. Very yeasty grainy with some out of whack spices. A little bit of apple tartness with some heavy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick and sweet with big champagne like carbonation levels. These two characteristics don't meld well.

Thought I'd try this in place of traditional champagne, but this was horrible. All kinds of clashing flavors leaving a bad aftertaste. Only place to go is up after this in 2012. (687 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -44.1%

At first glance this beer looks fantastic. The fancy bottle, the extravagant head. All seemingly well.

Then the smell hits you, boozy, apples, caramel, and herbal. Not all that great..

Tasting at first I thought this beer is alright! Then I started tasting more and more, I slowly got very tired of the taste then almost sick in my stomach. I definitly won't try this again. I couldn't get through a glass. But this is just my experience, if I would have only had a taster glass I would have walked away saying this beer was pretty ok, maybe even great. (555 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -41.4%

I was very excited to find a bottle of this. I heard some good reviews so I was greatly looking forward to drinking it. It was $39.99 so I was thinking it must be good. It was a 2011 bottle, todays date is 7-13-12.

It was very pretty when pouring, Kinda cloudy golden.

The smell was appealing, a little fruity tartness.

The taste was terrible, A sour punch right off the bat. Then the after taste is too pungent, like after you smoke a terrible cigar.

mouthfeel is actually good if you can get past the taste. easily drinkable. not a strong alcohol taste at all.

overall a terrible beer, would never recommend for enjoyment. I could of bought a 12 pack of Hopslam dammit. (681 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -41.1%

What a shame.
The advertising made it look so promising.
Dark amber, extremely bubbly.
Fairly powerful smell of roasted malt and dark fruit.
The moment of truth where this beer fails is at first sip. It was vinegary, somewhat boozy, like a bad...very bad malt liquor. After letting it reach room temperature and allowed to "gas off" for about an hour the flavor has improved somewhat, but this stuff is really nothing more than highly carbonated King Kobra malt liquor in a wine bottle.
I can not imagine how anyone who claims to hate malt liquor could give this stuff a higher rating than a "D".
I would love to take some pretentious beerjerks aside and do a blind tasting with this stuff VS a few cheap malt liquors to expose some of those frauds for what they are. (769 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

180th review on BA
bottle to flute

Christmas presesnt to myself.

App- A very yellow pour with a large head that took a couple pours to get a normal 2 finger head to it. Bubbles for days dance up the glass.

Smell- A very weird smell on this beer. Almost outright butter. A little bit of hops with spice.

Drink- I am not a fan of this at all. I like a lot of Sam adams and Weihenstephan do. Not this one. It was bad. I think the style maybe the culprit but probably not. Just a bad beer.

Mouth- This is a medium body with a high carbonation.

Drink- I drain poured 20 bucks. Damn that sucks. (594 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -40.5%

Extra note- Be careful when opening the bottle. I could not get the cork out so I used a wine opener. I've done this before with no issues but the unique bottle neck completely broke and I'm very lucky I did not cut my hand.

A- Strong carbonation; Very clear/ dull yellow color. Very outstanding color and would match up well with champagne.

S- Slightly malty aroma, no discernible hop presence.

T- Very sweet and malty, has a slightly strange sour undertone and an overall awkward flavor profile. Just overall has a weird taste about it and I'm confused with what Boston Brewing was trying to accomplish with this beer. I love creativity and I certainly hope Boston Brewing keeps pushing with this beer and fine tuning it but overall it was a disappointment. My girlfriend and I split this and she could only drink a few sips. I got down a glass and a half but drain poured the rest.

M- Carbonated/Sweet

D- Very low. Much lower than expected but this beer is kind of a malty mess.

Overall- Very disappointed. This beer in many ways comes off undrinkable. On the good side, I appreciate Boston Brewing pushing the edges and trying to develop a new beer style. I am confident with additional tweaks and experience that they can pull this beer off. (1,253 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -40.5%

Picked this up for a Midnight toast on NYE. I was surprised when I found a bottle at the local Hannafords in Keene, NH last week.

It looked fine, very bubbly, a nice golden color. The aroma was really fruity and sweet, much more than I had anticipated. The taste was a let down to say the least. Of the four people who tried it, I was the only one who had more than one sip, and I only did because I felt like I had to after spending 20.00 on the bottle. I was expecting more of a beer taste than the really sweet, fruity champagne taste I had instead. To me the taste was all fruit and sweetness and nothing to balance against it. There was some malt aftertaste, but not enough. I ended up saving the bottle, but pouring the rest out.

This is my first review and I wanted it to be a positive one, but hopefully that will be the next one...I have a 12 pack of the Peak Organic sampler just waiting to be enjoyed! (916 characters)

Bottle from the local liquor shop.The beer comes in a beautiful bottle.
Look: The beer pours a clear pale-amber-yellow color with a nice fluffy white head.
Smell: Very sweet malts, corn, fruits (tropical mango, pineapple, banana), yesat.
Taste: Sweet and boozy. Caramel, malts, sugar and added ethanol. Crisp in the end. Extremely unbalanced brew.
Mouthfeel: High carbonation, sharp on the tongue, very thin body.
Overall: What a horrible beer. The bottle is great, but better not put the contents in next time. How dare they to ask 16 euro for this…. This is not a biere brut, go to the masters and learn how to brew this style (like DeuS) (643 characters)

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)