Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros

1.15/5  rDev -64.4%

Looking at this bottle, I wanted to buy it. Pouring this bottle into a glass, I wanted to drink it.

Smelling this beer made me want to vomit. It smelled like old socks worn by Jay Cutler after he had be sacked 15 times in a game.

Took a sip, instant gag. I have not disliked a beer this much since wailing wench. Utterly awful. Tastes like a mix between malt vinegar and butter. Did they even try it before they released it? Sam Adams is very good with their quality control, yet I have no idea how this beer got out. I generally like SA beers, and with the exception of cranberry lambic, this is the worst SA beer I have ever had. It might actually be worse than cranlam.

Tasted like overcarbed butterscotch butter.

Couldnt drink more than a few sips. DRAINPOUR. A real pity this beer cost 20 dollars. WELL SPENT

1.15/5  rDev -64.4%

Served to me blind by @LaitueGonflable.

Clear, rather pinkish golden colour, with a fine but insubstantial
head of white bubbles. Body is extremely light and weak, meaning the head has no chance to form any lacing. Looks a bit lacklustre.

Nose is insane, and rather unpleasant, to be honest. Big biscuity
malt, with funky sweetness and crushed toffee praline. It's all
overlaid with a slightly odd generic yeasty hop character. Savoury characters come through as well, with ketchup and baked beans. It's robust, but genuinely unpleasant.

Taste is similar, although the sweetness is even more prominent here. Big vegetative sweet characters, like tomato juice mixed with sugar, or toffeed baked beans, and a rigid, unyielding carbonation which forces this home. Truly quite unpleasant. Each mouthfeel has the potential to make me dry retch.

Really quite a horrible beer. And yet, I can sort of see this weird
perversity to it that makes me feel like I should like and/or respect it. There is no way in hell I want to drink this again, but I might be okay with someone serving it to me blind again some time in the future.

(Notes after I found out what it was:

Holy crap, I really had some expectations for this, but this is genuinely unpleasant. It really does not live up to expectations, and is closer to malt liquor than to a brew between two high-flying breweries like this.)

1.2/5  rDev -62.8%

Tried the 2010 on New Year's last year and the 2011 around the holiday's at Khoury's. Had a similarly bad experience both times with this failure of a beer. I'm not quite sure how 2 companies, especially Weihenstephaner, who make great beer decided to release this.

Appearance:
Nothing really wrong with the appearance. Poured a nice golden color with tons of carbonation.

Smell:
Get your popcorn ready! Pure butter and diacetyl. Really hard to get anything else.

Taste:
What a mess. The diacetyl definitely carries over. Its boozy to boot. Overly sweet, alcoholic butter.

Mouthfeel:
The beer is sticky. It lingers. Its heavy. Everything a Biere de Champagne shouldn't be

Drinkability:
This beer almost ruined my midnight toast on NYE. Couldn't get down more than 2 ounces before having to drain pour. The 2011 version was luckily split a few ways, but that couldn't be finished either.

I've talked to a lot of people about this beer, and my experience doesn't seem to be the exception. I'm not sure if there is a big variance from bottle to bottle on this, problems with transportation, the brewing process, or just an infection...but I dont think I'll be trying it in 2012.

1.2/5  rDev -62.8%

I will keep this simple. The first time I bought this beer I thought it had to absolutely be infected. Then I tried it again a few weeks later and it had the same overpowering butterscotch smell and flavor. If this beer had any potential, the butterscotch ruined it. Honestly, I still hope I am drinking from any infected batch because anyone who puts this out as a product should be ashamed of themselves.

1.25/5  rDev -61.3%

1.25/5  rDev -61.3%

1.35/5  rDev -58.2%

Based on the short description on the packaging I was expecting something more like champagne and would have been please with anything resembling a Berliner Weisse (which is the true champagne of beers), sour or wine barrel aged concoction. Unfortunatly, what Sam Adams delivers is none of those.

A - Brown and highly carbonated.
Smell - Strange. No one smell was so strong as to stand out in my mind
T - Again strange like nothing I've ever had before. In the end I could only stand about 4 oz and poured the rest.
M - The bubbles fly once you pour this in your mouth. So if bubbles are your only criteria for champagne like then yes this is champagne like
Overall - Very disappointed. I'd rather spend $20 at taco bell.

1.38/5  rDev -57.3%

Ok, so holly cow what a head.Poured into a champagne glass,BIG snow white head with no lacing but nice assortment of bubble sizes though.
Very effervesant brew, gold straw color.
Not much in the nose to make me believe this is beer,wow.Sweet grape type of aroma.
Interesting on the pallate, loads of carbonation with some sweet & tart wine like flavors.Very dry finish.
I could not drink much of this, glad I popped at a party to share.

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)