Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I had this beer twice within the last week or so and this review is a composite of both those tastings.

750mL bottle poured into some tulip and snifters shared among friends both times.

The cork comes out with a loud pop and a pours a crystal clear yellow golden color with a white head that dies quickly. As promised a strikingly champagne like bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. I kind of wish I used an etched bottom glass with this beer.

And then it goes downhill...

The first time I had it the aroma had a huge acidic bite to it, I couldn't pinpoint the exact aroma but a friend suggested malt vinegar. I didn't get that smell exactly but I could see the resemblance, I just didn't pick up as much acetic character. My second tasting lacked the acidity but made up for it in diacetyl. For the most part I find it hard to detect diacetyl, it's a trait not that uncommon and from tasting diacetyl doctored samples of beers I know I'm not sensitive to it. In order for me to get that aroma from a beer the levels have to be pretty high. The aroma just wasn't anything close to what I would consider appealing.

Flavor-wise it was better but not by much. Both tasting were pretty much just a highly carbonated acidic version of a light bodied light colored lager.

The diacetyl didn't come through as much in the taste but the intense oiliness of the chemical does. The high amount of carbonic acid in the beer just adds to the acid taste and harsh mouthfeel. Drinkability it's ok, nothing too revolting but just disappointed in a beer I looked so forward too.

Overall this is just a terrible value. I'm 'glad' I was able to snag one for only $16. I really appreciate the techniques used in this beer and how that justifies the cost but it's just a disappointing beer. I hope if move forward with other batches they will take steps to improve it into a good tasting champagne-like beer.

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Notes from New Years Eve 2010:

750 mL bottle at 42 degrees into a champagne flute.

A: It pours a mostly transluscent straw-yellow color with some bubbliness early that fizzles out - exactly like a champagne pour.

S: Brut champagne, fresh-cut flowers, citrus, and hay - it is rather mild all around.

T: Citrus, a strong yeast flavor (definitely from Weihenstephan), grass, and white pepper, all of which are taken over by very dry champagne flavors.

M: It has a medium body - thicker than average champagne - with a very bubbly feel.

D: This is much better than I expected.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

My girl got me a bottle for Christmas, so I decided to have it for New Years. Infinium pours a light amber color with a massive rocky head (much like some saisons). It smells of biscuity malt, spices, and funky yeast. Infinium tastes like a weak champagne that resembles more of a fine malt liquor. Mouthfeel is very crisp as with any champagne. High carbonation. Drinkability for me was not to high because of its fairly high abv, and its bubbliness. Nice as a champagne sub, but not exactly worth the 20 bucks. Not too impressive, but im glad I tried one.

2.68/5  rDev -17%

Pours like a champange with tons of carbonation that goes away ever so slowly leaving tons of lacing in the glass. The aroma is of pears & other old fruit, wet grains and some light hops. The nose isn't the most pleasant but doesn't turn you away.

The 1st sip has that champange feel but then becomes more crisp after the carbonation dies down. The flavor is just odd. It starts clean and then all I can taste is something that reminds me of a soggy vegetable mix. Seems to be a touch of honey almost then nothing. I am really trying to enjoy this but I just can't get into this. I understand some of the previous reviews now after sampling this.

2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle poured into New Glarus flute.

A- Pours a pale copper with a small head, about a finger worth. The carbonation is lively the whole time but fades quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass.

S- Very malt forward. Reminds me of Boston lager with some champagne yeast. Hops are minimal. There is also a sweetness that I can't really identify.

T- Follows the nose. Malty with some champagne notes. I pick up a sweetness liken to a malt liquor. The alcohol is fairly well hidden.

M- Nice and crisp medium to light body. This is the shining moment for this beer. The carbonation just tickles the tongue.

D- Unfortunately this was a drain pour and I rarely ever do that. This beer was off on the taste and it was a chore to finish just half a bottle. I was wary of the price tag and for good reason.

3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks to jeff and stephanie for sharing the bottle. Popping the cork, it sure sounds like it.

Deep golden body, fine bubbles, white head. Looks like a kristal weizen.

Aromas of fresh bread, butterscotch, and sweet toasty malt. Similar to weihenstephan original premium.

More sweet malts, more bready character. A hint of banana, and general fruity sweetness. None of the brioche, almond character I was expecting from the champagne yeast. The finish is surprisingly boozy with some odd grape notes. No noble hop flavor to speak of.

Not nearly as carbonated or crisp as I expected. Surprisingly full bodied.

This beer is getting slammed on this site. Its not amazing, it has its issues, and it is over priced, but it is not bad. It just doesn't taste like anything all that unique. Infinium is not what I expected. That said, Sam Adams never really said what this beer was or what it would taste like, so I guess I just created my own image of this beer in my head. More than anything, it reminds me of a helles doppelbock. Sweet, bready, and boozy. Calling is a Biere de Champagne seems like a stretch.

2.98/5  rDev -7.7%

I really don't know why I'm reviewing this "beer" but for the $20 I can't get back I might as well. I kinda knew in the back of my mind that this was overhyped before the bottles hit the shelves, but being a fan of Weihenstephan I was willing to shell out the money for a "new style of beer."

I opened this on New Year's Day to share with my wife and her folks, who are all fans of bubbly and liked the idea of a champagne-like beer. Needless to say, they gave up after just a few sips, and I ended up drinking most of the bottle, hoping that the flavor profile would change over time. It did not.

I would describe the nose and taste of this concoction as red zinfandel crossed with dry cider, which ain't a match made in heaven. Carbonation and the bitter tartness seemed off, and while I will admit I didn't hate this beer, it was a big miss in my opinion. The marketing powers that be suckered us in with a cool bottle design and lots of hype, and we fell for it. I just wish they had called it biere de champagne, or their take on a sour beer, because claiming to create a new style of beer - that then sucks - is a major faux pas.

4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

Not very easy to get, especially with the $20 price tag that comes along with it. I love BBC and always will..
A- Very bubbly with a clear wheat color. Champagne look for sure
S- Smells very fruity with a hint of hops. the alcohol comes out a lot in this one. Smells like a little bit of pear, or passion fruit. very pleasant at that though.

T- Is a Good, but not amazing. Sweet malts present. leaves kind of a weird aftertaste in your mouth.

M- Is just like drinking a champagne really. the taste is very deceiving as you expect to get a champagne like taste but it tastes like a nice ale.

D- I think this is an exceptionally drinkable beer. But with the price it is something that you have to consider. Maybe something as a celebration?
When it all comes down to it, Koch said he wanted to make something new. He wanted to create a champagne like beer, and i think he did just that. This beer was everything he said it was going to be. I personally bought 3 bottles. I live in ohio and thought i wasn't going to be able to purchase it. I did however get lucky enough to find some and purchase it. All around a GREAT beer.

3.03/5  rDev -6.2%

Had high hopes for this one. With all the hype and price i paid, i certainly was expecting more. Not a bad beer but nothing great either, for $20 a 750ml i excepted greatness.

Poured in a champagne flute. Lots of carbonation, with a good head. Appearance is mostly clear with a yellowish tint with again carbonation noticed.

Smells of alcohol overwhelms faint notes of apricot and sweet fruit.

Tastes yeasty, bread-like, nutmeg spice character. Finish of alcohol and a touch of sweetness. A little too malt liquor like for my taste but yet enjoyable in other aspects with bread/yeasty champagne like characteristics. I wanted to like this beer and saved it for New Years. Will do my due diligence next time before i splurge on a bottle in this price range. Nice to see collaborations and unique styles of beers being attempted.

Overall in a blind taste would give this about a B- with the price-value factor, this falls more into a C+.

4.15/5  rDev +28.5%

A - Beautiful tequillia sunrise. Amber and gold a real treat to the eye. Nice size white head; a bit much if poured uncontrollably.

S - Smells of pear and sweet nutmeg spice

T - Dry, yet moist - intriging. Tastes like it smells.

M - Bubbly. Makes you belch if consumed too quickly.

D - Excellent drinkability is good. A very interesting beer.

Deceptively good beer. I was not sure what to expect, and upon first sip I was not sure I liked it. I gave it a good faith effort and it really grew on me.

The color is outstanding, and the carbonation is abundant. It is a very light bodied, very drinkable beer that tastes like champagne at first, but as it mellows gives off the distinct taste of a very light ale. I would recommend it, knowing it is not for everyone. Try it just to say you did. It is worth it.

I purchased 3 bottles for $18 each in Grenta, NE, just outside of Omaha visiting my wife's relatives over the New Year.

3.3/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Popped this on New Year's Eve with good friends

Appearance: one inch head, clear, light gold in color, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and light spices.

Taste: toasted malt, dry hops, bread, little honey, and slight citrus fruit

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, dry, slightly sweet

Drinkability: Interesting and very dry. A decent beer, but nothing I would ever get again especially for the price. Not bad, but I would sooner get a sparkling wine for these same characteristics.

1.15/5  rDev -64.4%

Looking at this bottle, I wanted to buy it. Pouring this bottle into a glass, I wanted to drink it.

Smelling this beer made me want to vomit. It smelled like old socks worn by Jay Cutler after he had be sacked 15 times in a game.

Took a sip, instant gag. I have not disliked a beer this much since wailing wench. Utterly awful. Tastes like a mix between malt vinegar and butter. Did they even try it before they released it? Sam Adams is very good with their quality control, yet I have no idea how this beer got out. I generally like SA beers, and with the exception of cranberry lambic, this is the worst SA beer I have ever had. It might actually be worse than cranlam.

Tasted like overcarbed butterscotch butter.

Couldnt drink more than a few sips. DRAINPOUR. A real pity this beer cost 20 dollars. WELL SPENT

4.18/5  rDev +29.4%

The Infinium poured a crystal clear amber with bright golden highlights shining wherever the light caught it. It was obvious from the very beginning that this beer was going to have more champagne characteristics, especially when I poured it and a huge 4-finger thick head of large, clean bubbles built up effortlessly, threatening to spill over the sides. Unfortunately, the head didn't last long and quickly fell into a few carbonation-fueled islands of small rapidly popping bubbles. Throughout the duration of the drink, there were lots of champagne bubble lines constantly flowing from the bottom and sides of the glass that transferred over into the mouthfeel quite a bit.

I was surprised when I initially smelled mashed bananas in the light aroma, but they were well balanced by snippets of cloves, sweet malts, light sprinklings of brown sugar and slight hints of apple cider that came through as it warmed. There were some very quiet hints of light wheat and a yeast (which I've seen referred to as a Belgian yeast) seemed to pop out once in a while with the bubbles, while something bready - almost doughy - hid in the background. It was a nice clean smell with very little discernible alcohol in the nose, and was a nice combination of beer and champagne, neither really overwhelming the other.

As soon as it hit my tongue, there was a distinct sharp green apple tartness that really surprised me as it was very reminiscent of a bright cider, but with nice full carbonation, which was more of a champagne quality. Despite the initial shock of sour apple, it easily transformed into softer sweet, chewy, bready malts and the belgian yeast with a touch of spice swirling around golden delicious apples. The mouthfeel was very smooth, creamy and refreshing and I found it very difficult to detect the 10% alcohol in the taste - that presented itself in a nice warming sensation that built gradually. Overall, I think I've decided that this beer is more like a heavy champagne than any kind of beer, even though it nicely holds qualities from both categories. I do not think many beverages, regardless of what they are made of or where/how they are made, are worth $20+, but that is no reason for me to go and rip apart how this beer let me down, was a disappointment, or didn't live up to my expectations. If I were to go into every beer (or any experience for that matter) expecting to encounter every good rumor and all the built-up hype I had heard about it, I would be severely disappointed with a lot of things in life. How could I be happy? Instead, I went into this beer ignoring what everyone else had said and had my own wonderful experience with it. I really enjoyed all of the different components that brought it together and would gladly buy it again for a special occasion if it were continued.

3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

Samuel Adams Infinium is a beer that is really interesting, and sadly a bit overpriced. With that said, I liked it. Insofar as a bottle beer goes, it has a very pleasant aroma (it smelled like orange blossom honey). Head was very small, almost nonexistent, with very fine bubbles. Flavor was very smooth, but a bit muted in my opinion... I wish it were a bit stronger. It felt like listening to Beethoven, but only at 30% volume- it doesn't do it justice.

If it were cheaper, I would drink it much more often.

2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

A - Really does look lovely - the color is a brilliant off yellow with more than ample white head and bubbles flying every which way. Wish I could give this bonus points for the bottle, because it looks like pure class.

S - Smells like artificial banana, other yet-to-be-determined fruits, some kind of cleaning chemical and just a touch of clove or pepper spice.

T - As much so-so press as Infinium got, the flavors are clean and simple. BUT...very sweet and fruity - apricot, banana, a little lemon. I find the ester and yeast characteristics to be a little overstated. For all I know, this is what they were going for, but it is much too sweet for my taste.

M - This is very effervescent, body is thin but does not remind me of champagne.

D - I would only ever open this for a New Years type occasion, or perhaps this would be a beer to open for non-beer drinkers. That said, I can't justify the price tag. To answer the actual "Is this drinkable?" question, meh. The excess of carbonation combined with the fact that none of the flavors are really pulling me back, does not make this terribly drinkable.

2.2/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance- Poured into a flute. Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head, quickly dispating. No lacing was left, lots of active carbonation.

Smell- light fruit notes, some banana. Champagne like yeast, not as fruity though.

Taste- Very plain. Light fruit notes and some grainy alcohol. Not as fruity as a decent chamapagne and not as dry either. A bit buttery even. People had compared this to a malt liquor and I thought that was a bit extreme, but after tasting it, that is a pretty accurate descriptor.

Mouthfeel- Very light body, high carbonation. Made me burp a ton.

Overall- Weinstephaner is great, Sam Adams is if nothing more respectable for what they have done for the craft beer movement, but this beer was a big time fail for me. Glad I got to try, but would not drink it agian or recomend it. It is expensive, but I would gladly pay even more for a bottle of DEUS.

3.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a flute glass (thanks to buschbeer for sharing) to a golden honey yellow. The bottle had been open a bit by the time I poured a glass, so any overcarbonation that was mentioned by others was obviously missing from mine. Smell is straight butterscotch mixed with some toffee. The slight bready note was pretty faint. Tasted like eating a Werther's Original candy. Very light booziness. I didn't really find the alcohol to be too strong. The sweet malt and overwhelming butterscotch, however, could have been tamed slightly. I'm glad I got to try this one.

3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

I had this as a Christmas beer with some family members.

A: It was a golden yellow color, very much like a good champagne. Lots of foam that dissipated quickly, still bubbly after a few minutes in the glass

S: It was a fruitly/banana like smell, which was a tad off from what I was expecting based upon Sam Adam's description of it being a champagne like beer.

T: Reminded me of a hefe, not much else jumped out at me and wow'ed me.

M: It left a light and clean after-taste in my mouth.

D: It was a decent to good beer, but not worth the 20 per bottle. I have two more that I am going to age and see if it improves

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt on New Years Eve because Sam Adams told me I had to and there was no chance I was going to kiss him. Poured into various tulips.

Beer is dark yellow with a slight haze, big head of medium and large bubbles that doesn't bother to stick around. Carbonation is moderate to high with bubbles forming at every nucleation point on the glass and rising through the beer quickly to see if the head was still there, as stated earlier, he bailed.

Aroma is slightly vegetal to me with some odd breadiness to it. Perhaps some cloves or mild spiciness to it...some pilsen sweetness as well.

I know my score is going to end up higher than the standard on this beer and I'm not sure why. I did not like this beer as much as I had hoped, but I also did not like Deus as much as I hoped either. A lot of the things I didn't like about Deus were also present in this beer so this may be a style that I can easily avoid in the future...but I didn't think it was terrible. Definitely not a repeat but definitely not a drain pour. Beer was mildly sweet with a pretty strong / odd yeastiness to it in the midpalate and a harsher dry / bitter finish on the end that lended itself to an unpleasant aftertaste. Really not my bag.

3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

So this was poured into champagne flutes and then poured again and again. The carbonation is exactly like champagne with a nice yellow hue and large soft white head. The head dissipates quickly, but the "bubbly" stays throughout the session. The taste is a little clovey and slightly banana; I'm not sure if one layer of the beer was a hefe yeast, but it tastes like it was. The body is light, but the carbonation leaves a slight bloating. Not a beer I want to drink on a regular basis, but interesting to try. FYI, I'm not a champagne fan.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

750ml bottle, opened for the New Years countdown and split with some friends. A loud pop of the cork followed by a nice pour into a Cantillon flute.

Infinium looks nice coming out of the bottle. There's something very appealing about the color, which lies in-between a straw and light gold. Notable carbonation but no real head retention or lace. The head was gone within a minute of 2011.

The smell is nothing like what I expected. It's pleasant enough, but seems out of place in a Brut biere. The first thing I got was banana and tropical fruit, then some wheat and yeasty scents. The fruit is nice but there's really nothing out of the ordinary, and I expected it to smell drier, more estery and less boozy.

The taste is bready and has some hefeweizen characteristics. Next, some fruit including banana and peaches dance along with crackers and grass. A bit of corriander and clove along with slight black pepper hit just when the alcohol peaks then fade away. This is just not cohesive and Deus puts it to shame. Finishes sweet with notable booziness.

Mouthfeel is sparkling and drinkability is high for a 10.3% that, odds are, is being shared and not consumed by one person in one setting. I can't help but feel like this beer was a dissapointment. I thank Sam Adams and Weihenstephaner for the effort, but I wish they didn't hype this to be something new. It wasn't that unique except for the price tag.

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer, particulary for the price, was quite a letdown. Fizzy carbonation, a bit overcarbonated. Sharp up front, with distinctive apple notes, then going a bit bready with a nondescript finish. One-dimensional and not at all engaging. Apparently the money is in the bottle, not the beer.

Lot's of hype and anticipation for this beer. Saved it for New Years Eve.

Poured into a champagne flute and got a nice thick, small-bubble, head.
Initial thought on aroma was of sweet apple; though as it warmed in the glass the yeast definitely took over.
Highly carbonated in the glass, but a very smooth mouth feel. Easily drinkable.
I also (maybe due to the smell) perceived a bit of an apple taste at first. That didn't last too long. Very little to no hop presence.

Prior to drinking this I read throughout beeradvocate of Infinium compared to a cheat malt liquor. If this was put in a blind taste test with a 40 oz. of St. Ides I'd be curious to see the results. However, for $20 a pop I don't think I'll be buying another Infinium. At least not the 2010 (and if it took them 2+ years to develop this one I doubt 2011 will be any better).

I did give points in appearance for the bottle!

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

New Year's 2011 beer, and the New Year started off pretty rough...

$20 for 750ml @ JB's in Spokane, WA

Poured to champagne flute.

A: Honey ale with just a hair of cloudiness. Two finger white head loosely dissipates to single finger, which remains during the duration. Small fine champagne bubbling reiterates the head.

S: Wow, butterscotch! Like a bomb of diacetyl was ignited in the bottle. Once I am able to dive down below the scotcheroo, I find apple skins, nougat, and hints of vanilla and oak.

T: Sweet, sweet. Some grain, bavarian yeast flavor, some florals. Some dried apricots. And something that took me awhile to place: raw almonds.

M: This beer is a paradox in the mouth, one of it's saving graces. Difficult to describe: heavy, light, bubbly, smooth.

D: For over 100 years of quality brewing experience, this couldn't be the best beer they could come up with. I appreciate their attempt at exploring a new style, but when it comes across as a poorly crafted Faro beer, I have to feel let down. Proclaiming this to be a beer drinkers alternative to champagne or sparkling wine, is a fail. Too sweet for most drinkers I know. This is a great alternative to champagne for a Riesling or Gewurtstraminer wine drinker.

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

A - This pours a beautiful transparent golden color. It has a big white fluffy champagne head, that overflowed from the glass and went all over my counter top. The head also left little bits of scattered lacing as it fizzed down to a small ring at the edge of the glass. There are also a lot of carbonation bubbles present.

S - The smell is sweet and yeasty. There are doughy, and bread notes, as well as some earthiness. I am so getting some golden fruits and just a touch of hops.

T - It tastes of bready malts and belgian yeast. There is also a nice bit of light golden fruits present. It is sweet, but there is also a nice spiciness to it. I am getting a small hint of the alcohol presence as well.

M - This has a nice medium body and high carbonation. The carbonation tickles the tongue and mouth. It is creamy and goes down smooth. There is also a slight alcohol warming sensation.

D - The drinkability is good. A lot of people have been a little too harsh on this beer in my opinion. I think it is a very interesting beer. I have never tried this style before, and it is certainly different than anything I have ever had. I think this is a great drink for a beer drinker who is at an occasion that normally calls for champagne. Other than a lot of people, I am glad I spent the $19 for a new experience. Good beer for special celebrations.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)