Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
DaveD56

09-05-2012 01:08:15 | More by Jwillyb
UGADawgGuy

Georgia

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%

After all the hype (and my vocal anticipation) surrounding this beer's arrival, I feel obligated to review it. This is sad way to end my long break from reviewing...

Appearance: This is by far the beer's strong suit. It really does look a lot like champagne, or some other very light-colored sparkling wine. A copious amount of tiny bubbles punctuates the beer's body, producing a bright white, dense-looking head that disappears after several minutes. Bright, clean, and inviting.

Smell: Hmm...something is amiss. I'm a guy who likes malty, sweet, and/or yeasty beers (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is one of my two favorites), but this one smells almost sickly sweet. There's something at once floral, sugary, chalky, and noble hoppy in my nostrils, and I'm not sure I like it.

Taste: Oh, man, this is a mess. Complex? Yeah, maybe, but not in any coherent, desirable way. There are a ton of different flavors going on here, but rather than flow together into an integrated masterpiece, they seem to be battling with one another for supremacy on my palate. Honeysuckle flowers, citrus zest, compost-pile grass clippings, apple juice, marijuana, light corn syrup, and clover honey all flood my mouth, and the results are kind of unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: Aw, crap. When I swallow a sip of this stuff, only the most cloying and acrid flavors remain stuck on my palate: a coating of noble hops suspended in Karo syrup comes to mind. As others have noted, in spite of its brisk carbonation, this beer is unexpectedly sticky and heavy in the mouth -- syrupy.

Drinkability: I split a 750-ml bottle of this with both of my brothers, and we REALLY struggled to finish it. After all that anticipation -- and in spite of the involvement of my favorite brewery and one of America's true craft beer champions -- this brew is a chore to drink.

Those who detect echoes of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier in this brew are imagining things -- no doubt projecting due to the involvement of Brauerei Weihenstephan (which, incidentally, brews several other styles of beer, not just their famous weissbier).

Infinium wasn't brewed with hefeweizen yeast or a ton of wheat. It's filtered, it's not bottle-conditioned, and it otherwise has nothing to do with Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier beyond the brewery's name. Please don't go into this expecting anything remotely hefeweizen-like, or you'll be even more greatly underwhelmed.

Very disappointing...is it naive to hope that these world-class breweries might try to atone for this mistake with a better-executed collaboration in the future? A dark weizenbock, perhaps?

02-17-2011 04:19:44 | More by UGADawgGuy
freebirdbm14

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

06-11-2013 19:00:50 | More by freebirdbm14
ScottyDuzntNo

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

05-14-2013 02:06:43 | More by ScottyDuzntNo
ricchezza

Lot's of hype and anticipation for this beer. Saved it for New Years Eve.

Poured into a champagne flute and got a nice thick, small-bubble, head.
Initial thought on aroma was of sweet apple; though as it warmed in the glass the yeast definitely took over.
Highly carbonated in the glass, but a very smooth mouth feel. Easily drinkable.
I also (maybe due to the smell) perceived a bit of an apple taste at first. That didn't last too long. Very little to no hop presence.

Prior to drinking this I read throughout beeradvocate of Infinium compared to a cheat malt liquor. If this was put in a blind taste test with a 40 oz. of St. Ides I'd be curious to see the results. However, for $20 a pop I don't think I'll be buying another Infinium. At least not the 2010 (and if it took them 2+ years to develop this one I doubt 2011 will be any better).

I did give points in appearance for the bottle!

01-03-2011 14:31:01 | More by ricchezza
buyBinboaVodka

4.13/5  rDev +28.3%

This is my second bottle of this. I stored this in my cellar and I have to say it was better this time.
Best by July 2011

A - Poured from the bottle into a tall wine glass. Color is light cloudy amber similar to that of apple juice. Huge white head that bubbles and takes a while to calm down. Leaves minimal lacing around the glass and bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass.

S - This hits hard with bready yeast and sweet fall fruits such as apples, pears, and light orange citrus. Some maltyness shines through as does some spicy aromas. The smell seems to lightly cleanse the palate before each sip.

T - I get the sweetness of the apple cider flavor upfront followed by some dry spice hoppines towards the end of the sip. It seems to work well in balance. Nothing feels out of place or too unbalanced.

M - Very sweet up front with high levels of carbonation then winding down to a dry spicy finish that leaves the mouth refreshed.

O - I really enjoyed this beer. I love fine wine and this reminds me of it. Why should all beers be polished off right away. The fact that the bottle was split 2 ways of the course of a 4 course meal speaks volumes of what they were trying to do here. I got to enjoy a beer that I want more of that I don't think I will have for a while. It was a treat so to speak. I think looking past the hype and enjoying it in the right settign would make the experiance more enjoyable.

07-04-2011 14:28:00 | More by buyBinboaVodka
outdoorbrewer

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

Beautiful bottle presentation by the collaboration of two world class breweries, Sam Adams and Weihenstephan. I was shocked by the brew that it held. I know they can do better.
This Biere poured light colored and fizzy with minimal head. Kind of looked like Champagne. The aroma and flavor were amiss. Strong diacetyl and a sourness that appears to be Lacto induced. Bottle given to us but couldn't drink it even though free beer is supposed to taste best. Is this what the brewers wanted?

03-24-2011 00:15:39 | More by outdoorbrewer

09-03-2012 14:49:37 | More by bwilson1730
jeffaz02t

Arizona

2.8/5  rDev -13%

A- Very filtered and has a crisp look. Nice foam at first but goes down rather quickly. There is a nice Belgian-looking foam that remains in a circle throughout the life if this glass of beer.

S- Sweet, almost berry-like quality. Banana is also evident. Slight hop stank as well.

T- Just like another reviewer, DPFRD, states, this beer starts banana and then goes into a sour apple taste. Ends with a slight hop bitterness.

M- Medium-low bodied beer, VERY carbonated, not in a bad way though.

D- Too sweet to be very drinkable. This is one beer that I could have one, but anything more would be too much for me.

Notes: Very interesting beer, for sure. However, if you take the price, and then look at how enjoyable this beer is, I feel that it is not worth the $20+ price. Some who enjoy a sweeter beer may likely enjoy this more. This is unique for sure.

12-24-2010 13:51:16 | More by jeffaz02t
wowbagger

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%

To start, I'm a fan of the brewery but came into this one pretty skeptical since I'm not a fan of champagne. It pours bubble like champagne with what I'd call "foam" rather than head and is a pale yellow.

The smell is enticing, fruit, sugar, orange maybe and a brightness that's hard to describe. The flavor though confused the heck out of me for a while. It's sweet, almost like caramel. For a while I couldn't pin down what it was like until it hit me; it reminds me very much of tasting unfermented homebrews (wort). This strikes me as pretty odd. I can't say that's a bad thing but I didn't think either beer or champagne should taste that way.

Overall, I was surprised by Infinium. It was much better than I expected though I can't see drinking it regularly. It's very much worth a try though since it's so different from the rest of their products.

01-03-2012 15:38:08 | More by wowbagger
djbow

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%

Infinium is a unique Champaign like brew that is unlike any other beer I have consumed. It pours with a big white fizzy head and has a nice clear, soft golden hugh. The tast is very crisp and dry sort of like Brut sparkling wine. Overall, this beer is a close to Champaign that beer will ever get and is quite a remarkable thing when you consider that it is made with only German Purity Law ingredients. Enjoy with an open mind.

Serving Glass = Champaign flute.

Serving Temp = 40 F.

12-30-2013 19:03:12 | More by MrLacinak
Ruger44

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

01-12-2012 16:27:29 | More by Ruger44
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)