Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Yoopermk, Apr 09, 2014

MIP229, Mar 05, 2012

epim00, Jan 02, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

reviewed from notes on 1/3/11

moderate pour leaves foamy head on golden color beer that quickly recedes and had lots of carbonation, looks alive and inviting. Smell some hops, smell some wine like notes, floral and perfumy. Tastes citrusy floral, qualities like that of a traditional bavarian beer, but something is not working, i'm being thrown off. The beer is medium bodied, smooth finish, lots of carbonation, with a very weak middle, and strong on the front and back ends. Infinium is drinkable, yes, but not really interested in trying again, but a must have at least once.

ekardz, Jan 12, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation is wonderful. Caged, corked and foiled, and a tag that suggests a best of for July 2012.

A - Poured into a flute. Pours a lovely honey color. Fluffy looking head of about an inch, but with little retention and no lacing.

S - Crisp alcohol, mild yeast. Meh.

T - Very sweet, with a pear fruitiness. Kinda bready and a little bitter at the finish. Very reminiscent of white wine.

M - Dry, with very excited carbonation. Prickly.

O - At $18, it's a bit hard to justify getting this again. While not entirely off, it's out of my spectrum. I don't mind having this as a birthday beer, but it's difficult to approach.

madeofsteel, Apr 01, 2012

gfx, Dec 27, 2011

jaredtuk, Jan 18, 2012

cougarbait, Jan 09, 2012

Poured from the bottle into a flute. Classy.

This is beer is an excellent example of why glassware matters. My friend sitting on the other end of the couch poured his into part of the bottle into a tulip and I poured it into a flute....I wrote that already. I was having problems picking up the scent of the beer. I could pick up some apple notes and some grape, a little bit of the alcohol from the 10.3abv but that was it. It smells like the welches sparkling champagne.

Oh the look, I went out of order. There's a lot of head on this one, as there should be. It's strange, not unnerving, just strange seeing a beer bubble as much as this. I haven't experimented in the Biere de Champagne style before, but I've had champagne and well, this definitely looks like one.

It's sort of tart. Infinium is a very sweet beer. There's some pear to it, apple (lots of apple) and grape, like an alcoholic capri sun. Not that sweet, but close. After my first sip I started racking my mind trying to come up with what I've had that tasted this way before and I freaking just figured it out. It is very reminiscent of Rogue's Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor. That's right, this reminds me of a malt liquor. It's very appley with this strange drying component to it. If I was to drink a beer out of a paper bag, I could easily do it with this beer. It looks like a champagne but it tastes like a beer. It lacks the "tickling my nose" sensation that champagne is supposed to have.

I don't know where to put this, this is just a strange musing. Infinium sits oddly in my stomach. It's got the heaviness and warmth of a bourbon but I feel very gassy from drinking this. Possibly not safe to drink in the presence of female company ;-)

This is - again - a really sweet beer and this kind of drags to drink after prolong periods of time. It's not very bubbly either which is sad seeing as it bubbles like a fish tank. Infinium is also a twenty dollar beer so that's a hefty price tag for this. Drink it if you like to buy pricey things but you're probably not missing out on anything else wise.

FernMaster, Jan 03, 2011

Grinnerman, Mar 07, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -30.3%

Savarese85, Jul 24, 2012

nunzo, Dec 04, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +29.4%

The Infinium poured a crystal clear amber with bright golden highlights shining wherever the light caught it. It was obvious from the very beginning that this beer was going to have more champagne characteristics, especially when I poured it and a huge 4-finger thick head of large, clean bubbles built up effortlessly, threatening to spill over the sides. Unfortunately, the head didn't last long and quickly fell into a few carbonation-fueled islands of small rapidly popping bubbles. Throughout the duration of the drink, there were lots of champagne bubble lines constantly flowing from the bottom and sides of the glass that transferred over into the mouthfeel quite a bit.

I was surprised when I initially smelled mashed bananas in the light aroma, but they were well balanced by snippets of cloves, sweet malts, light sprinklings of brown sugar and slight hints of apple cider that came through as it warmed. There were some very quiet hints of light wheat and a yeast (which I've seen referred to as a Belgian yeast) seemed to pop out once in a while with the bubbles, while something bready - almost doughy - hid in the background. It was a nice clean smell with very little discernible alcohol in the nose, and was a nice combination of beer and champagne, neither really overwhelming the other.

As soon as it hit my tongue, there was a distinct sharp green apple tartness that really surprised me as it was very reminiscent of a bright cider, but with nice full carbonation, which was more of a champagne quality. Despite the initial shock of sour apple, it easily transformed into softer sweet, chewy, bready malts and the belgian yeast with a touch of spice swirling around golden delicious apples. The mouthfeel was very smooth, creamy and refreshing and I found it very difficult to detect the 10% alcohol in the taste - that presented itself in a nice warming sensation that built gradually. Overall, I think I've decided that this beer is more like a heavy champagne than any kind of beer, even though it nicely holds qualities from both categories. I do not think many beverages, regardless of what they are made of or where/how they are made, are worth $20+, but that is no reason for me to go and rip apart how this beer let me down, was a disappointment, or didn't live up to my expectations. If I were to go into every beer (or any experience for that matter) expecting to encounter every good rumor and all the built-up hype I had heard about it, I would be severely disappointed with a lot of things in life. How could I be happy? Instead, I went into this beer ignoring what everyone else had said and had my own wonderful experience with it. I really enjoyed all of the different components that brought it together and would gladly buy it again for a special occasion if it were continued.

Lucklys, Jan 04, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -53.6%

PintPal, Feb 04, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

My girl got me a bottle for Christmas, so I decided to have it for New Years. Infinium pours a light amber color with a massive rocky head (much like some saisons). It smells of biscuity malt, spices, and funky yeast. Infinium tastes like a weak champagne that resembles more of a fine malt liquor. Mouthfeel is very crisp as with any champagne. High carbonation. Drinkability for me was not to high because of its fairly high abv, and its bubbliness. Nice as a champagne sub, but not exactly worth the 20 bucks. Not too impressive, but im glad I tried one.

BigBlacke, Jan 06, 2011

Jwillyb, Sep 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +39.3%

ScottyDuzntNo, May 14, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -31%

After all the hype (and my vocal anticipation) surrounding this beer's arrival, I feel obligated to review it. This is sad way to end my long break from reviewing...

Appearance: This is by far the beer's strong suit. It really does look a lot like champagne, or some other very light-colored sparkling wine. A copious amount of tiny bubbles punctuates the beer's body, producing a bright white, dense-looking head that disappears after several minutes. Bright, clean, and inviting.

Smell: Hmm...something is amiss. I'm a guy who likes malty, sweet, and/or yeasty beers (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is one of my two favorites), but this one smells almost sickly sweet. There's something at once floral, sugary, chalky, and noble hoppy in my nostrils, and I'm not sure I like it.

Taste: Oh, man, this is a mess. Complex? Yeah, maybe, but not in any coherent, desirable way. There are a ton of different flavors going on here, but rather than flow together into an integrated masterpiece, they seem to be battling with one another for supremacy on my palate. Honeysuckle flowers, citrus zest, compost-pile grass clippings, apple juice, marijuana, light corn syrup, and clover honey all flood my mouth, and the results are kind of unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: Aw, crap. When I swallow a sip of this stuff, only the most cloying and acrid flavors remain stuck on my palate: a coating of noble hops suspended in Karo syrup comes to mind. As others have noted, in spite of its brisk carbonation, this beer is unexpectedly sticky and heavy in the mouth -- syrupy.

Drinkability: I split a 750-ml bottle of this with both of my brothers, and we REALLY struggled to finish it. After all that anticipation -- and in spite of the involvement of my favorite brewery and one of America's true craft beer champions -- this brew is a chore to drink.

Those who detect echoes of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier in this brew are imagining things -- no doubt projecting due to the involvement of Brauerei Weihenstephan (which, incidentally, brews several other styles of beer, not just their famous weissbier).

Infinium wasn't brewed with hefeweizen yeast or a ton of wheat. It's filtered, it's not bottle-conditioned, and it otherwise has nothing to do with Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier beyond the brewery's name. Please don't go into this expecting anything remotely hefeweizen-like, or you'll be even more greatly underwhelmed.

Very disappointing...is it naive to hope that these world-class breweries might try to atone for this mistake with a better-executed collaboration in the future? A dark weizenbock, perhaps?

UGADawgGuy, Feb 17, 2011
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)