Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
steelerguy

2.93/5  rDev -9%

A - Clear golden straw color with high carbonation. Nice high, white head that fades quickly to a covering.

S - Lots of fruitiness on the nose, but a lambic like sourness as well.

T - Lots of light malt flavors with a good dose of ripe fruit. Then that sourness hits again, perhaps what is good in a champagne is coming through too strong and even a bit of an offensive aftertaste.

M - Nice light feel with a crisp finish, accentuated with a alcohol warmth.

D - I must admit, I am glad this is a limited release...not too many people should have to spend so much on it.

12-24-2010 01:58:04 | More by steelerguy
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from the bottle into a flute.

A - Crystal clear, amber color with a ton of bubbles running up the middle. Big white head rests on top

S - Sweet, fruity aroma, some spicy notes and almost reminds me of a scented soap.

T - Unique would be one way to describe this... kind of fruity, a bit of a citrus hoppy presence, kind of boozy, spicy notes are present as well

M - surprisingly heavy and syrupy.

D - I dunno I'm not too big a fan though I do like it a bit more as I drink it. I wish it was less boozy. I'm glad to have tried it but don't see myself buying another bottle especially at its price.

12-24-2010 01:56:49 | More by jpmclaug
Kromes

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Clear straw color with a white head and some lacing.

S: A sweet and sour, almost brett smell.

T: Much like the smell, sweet and sour with a little bit of woody cork. It tastes a little like champagne mixed with beer. Not the best, but pretty good.

M: A little peppery on the tongue. Lively like champagne.

D: Definitely a unique beer. Wouldn't drink more than one of these, but the alcohol isn't very prevalent.

12-24-2010 01:49:24 | More by Kromes
MrHungryMonkey

Nose is floral and fruity with bubblegum-like esters and a soft sourness. Smells good.

Pours clear amber with large head. Looks good.

Very dry with spicy carbonation. Solid malty base with a good bit of malty sweetness. Estery fruity. Softly herbal. Moderate bitterness reminiscent of orange pith. Tastes good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

Overall an enjoyable beverage experience. Now that I've experienced it, I won't need to again.

12-24-2010 00:58:55 | More by MrHungryMonkey
megahurts4

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Sam Adams Infinium

Appearance: golden amber, small head, and little lacing.

Smell: hops and flowery goodness with a hint of honey.

Taste: malty grain and subtle flowers and hops.

Mouthfeel: thick and heavy.

Overall:
It is much more malty than expected. It is pretty nice and rich.

12-23-2010 20:47:57 | More by megahurts4
DPFRD

Arizona

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Looks like a Kristalweizen, amber/goldesh hue, filtered... Head pours like a belgy and dissipates quickly, with some interesting activity.

S- Sweet, fruit(strawberry-like) and caramel with a banana finish... incredible. Yogurty, indiscriminate hop presence.

T- Up front banana followed by sour apple, with bitter finish... delectable.

M- Semi-thin, on the syrupy but in a bad way, and this where the amazing carbonation takes place.

D- Very sweet... is very similar too champagne so it is what it is. I would drink it again, but I'm not it's biggest advocate style-wise. Excellent brew though.

12-23-2010 08:36:02 | More by DPFRD
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Opens with a loud pop and the cork shooting way up and hitting my ceiling. Pours a very actively carbonated pale amber color with some golden and copper hints around. A slightly off white huge head is present at about 3 inches. There are active bubbles racing up the side of the glass.

S - Slight tartness. Mixed in with some ripened fruit sweetness. SOme slight bread notes an yeasty notes are present as well. There is some notes of pear.

T & M - I cant quite pinpoint this beer right away. It is quite dry with crispness a plenty. There are bread hints present along with some slight woody undertones as well and some yeast. There is some slightly ripened fruity sweetness involved in there that mixes up with some vinous notes. Slight banana and some pear, apple and grape. The finish is definitely very Champagne-like. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry with a medium-light body. There is a slight heat from the alcohol but the carbonation cuts it a bit just like it would in a sparkling wine.

D - It is a good beer but I don't think its great. Maybe not worth all the hype. Still ok.

12-22-2010 02:40:01 | More by JoEBoBpr
scottfrie

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

Big thanks to a predominantly non-drinking buddy of mine for bringing me a bottle of this to sporadically and uncharacteristically share with him. Poured into an AVBC snifter.

A: Pour a clear dark apple juice color with just an amazingly beautiful billowingly thick bright white head that did not move at all for a full 5 minutes. Finally this epic head slowly started to collapse under its own weight into an extremely thick frothy head. Great head retention, super dense solid sheet of lace. Very impressive.
S: I can't quite place this one. I definitely has notes of fruits, at least apples. Maybe some pears, apricots and grapes. It's hard to tack down. I pick up some yeast as well. After it sits for a while I get sweet notes of over ripened bananas.
T: A lot bolder, richer and stronger than the nose let on. Lots of alcohol in this one with a strange flavor. I definitely get grapes in the aftertaste along with some of the yeast. Other notes include raisins, sweet crackery malt, and banana. Finish is lightly sour and has a touch of bitter hops.
M: Medium-full body with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel and a pretty potent punch of alcohol. Finish isn't really dry at all.
D: Not sure how I feel about this one, but I think I'm good with my half a bottle. This is my first of the style so it is hard to compare other beers to it, and I'm not sure I would ever buy this again. My non-beer drinking friend loved it oddly enough. Perhaps this is an expensive gateway beer to the craft? Who knows.

12-21-2010 06:36:45 | More by scottfrie
ngeunit1

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy light golden orange color with about a finger and a half of foamy white head. The head did not last long and left behind no lacing. Lots of carbonation visible.

S - Very fruity aroma, with a combination of some sweet elements from apricots and pears to tart citrus elements like lemon. Also a bit of beady/yeast aroma mixed in.

T - Starts off with a combination of the fruity flavors from the nose with some sweet malt flavor also emerging. This transitions to a more spicy flavor with yeast flavor also pushing through. The finish has a kick of alcohol, making the 10.3% abv known. There is a slight amount of bitterness that is combined with very sweet flavors that lingers afterwards.

M - Light bodied and a heavy amount of carbonation. The carbonation and dryness of the beer make it super crisp, but the carbonation can be a bit much. The mouthfeel just feels a bit too tingly.

D - Decently drinkable. Very sweet, and after a while feels a bit too sweet. The overall light body and crisp mouthfeel are nice, but the crispness is cut by the sweetness. The taste balance is a bit unbalanced by the sweetness.

12-21-2010 02:18:55 | More by ngeunit1
cbutova

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%

Was reluctant to drop $21 on this but I figured it was better than getting another barrel-aged stout or something.

A- Perfectly clear orange with a huge and foamy white cap. Good retention and a nice pillow stays behind. An infinium of bubbles rise fromt he bottom and a small coat of thick lace stays behind.

S- German Weihenstephaner yeast up front. Gives me some dark and citrus fruit. Slight banana and clove that actually build as it warms. Banana bread feel later on. Pear notes, sugar/vanilla?

T- Starts out with fruit-less champagne feel and German yeast slowly works its way in. Clove, banana, hops (citrus, grass, earth, spice). Sweet but not cloying. Raisins as it warms. Some alcohol.

MF- Fluffy and creamy light body with high carbonation and a slight oily feel. Slightly bitter. Some warming.

DB- Very interesting and sometimes hard to describe. Has champange (except sweetness) and German yeast elements to it. Nice but hard to justify the price.

12-20-2010 03:18:13 | More by cbutova
JoePat

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +32.9%

This beer pours a crystal clear amber with a huge frothy white head that fills the glass on the least agressive pour. A great job on the champagne method removing the yeat.

The first thing I think of when I smell this is pineapple bananna juice. I get some wheaty malt notes too but the esters have taken over this beer.

The flavor mimics the aroma with the esters and phenols makeing up most of the favor. Banana, clove bready, sweet malt. It is a lot like a very big, very estery dunkleweizen.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky coating your mouth but leaving it ready for more when you swallow. This went down great for a high carbonation, high alcohol beer.

12-20-2010 00:56:18 | More by JoePat
CWiggins

First of all, I'll readily admit I've not had any experience with any "biere de champagne." Few are available here, and those that are tend to be a bit pricey. And besides, what are we talking about here: a super-carbonated beer? Really? More carbonation in a beer? Well, just this week I bought a case of this for my retail establishment to see what would happen, and I purchased a bottle to experience it for myself.

The bottle is a nice package, with the reddish foil and black bottle with a small explanatory hang tag hung around the neck. Popping the cork proved to be not as intense as the same on a bottle of sparkling wine; just a press of the thumb on the back and it fell away. (The audible was impressive, though.) The smallest pour caused an incredible amount of eggshell white foam to develop, nearly filling my glass from the git-go. After waiting for the bubbles to disperse and practicing my technique, the rest of the pour wasn't nearly as dramatic. I held the glass up and examined the dark gold--nearly amber--hue. Bubbles continue to shoot up from the bottom of the glass, and the head, although shorter, seems effortlessly sustained.

The nose is really unique. Honey, a light fruit character (possibly apricot), and fresh-baked sweet bread are easily detected, while minor notes of crystal malts, light brown sugar, and alcohol linger in the background. Very enticing, that's certain.

Honey, bananas, apple cider, sweet malts, caramel, etc. Is there a flavor that doesn't show up here? Wow. I have to say this is a very flavorful beer, although the body is a tad lean (sparkling wines are typically the same). The carbonation isn't as off-putting as I assumed it would be. It's a wonderful blend of sweetness and maltiness, and finishing fairly dry. It's hard to imagine this is 10.3% ABV from the flavor. What I'm enjoying now is the lingering aftertaste that blends the honey and malts, with just a tad of fruity sweetness. (More banana than anything.) The alcohol becomes more noticeable at the end of the glass.

I can certainly understand why some might not find this enjoyable. The sweeter flavors are a bit unusual for many beer drinkers. For my taste, it's fine and very interesting, and I can imagine getting another bottle or two to cellar for awhile. I know the price tag is high, but this is an expensive brew to make. It should be sampled by many, just for the experience and a chance to broaden all our beer horizons. Cheers!

12-19-2010 23:12:33 | More by CWiggins
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

A Christmas gift from a friend. Thanks, Steve.
In a flute, the beer was a golden color with an off-white head. Lots of carbonation. There was even a tiny bit of lace.
Nice aroma. Sugary sweet, fruit, peppery in the nose.
It tasted like a candied apple, with a late hit of hops.
Sweet, bubbly.
Very good.

12-19-2010 22:29:06 | More by lordofthewiens
Bmoyer0301

3.53/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance:

Tonight I decided to use my extra large fluted glasses since my household is lacking champagne flutes. I unwrapped the beautiful orange foil off the deep brown almost black flat bottom bottle and proceeded to pull out the cork and cage. Wow, this is hard as hell to get the cork out. I ended up snapping the head off and had to get a wine bottle opener out to extract the rest. Right before I slid it out a piece of the bottle lip cracked off and almost went in the bottle. After all that mess, I proceeded with the pour and knew this was going to be one heavily carbonated beer so I tilted very hard and went at it very slowly. I was left with a beautiful three finger thick bone white head that hung around for quite a while. There were loads of bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass the whole time. As I hold my glass up to the light this baby pours a deep golden almost straw colored with some shimmers of tan and orange. As I give a swirl there is a decent amount of lacing sticking to the walls of the tall glass.

Smell:

Right of the start I am greeted with fresh baked biscuits, caramel and light fruit undertones. Peaches and apricots are really coming to mind especially the candy rings that you can find at the store. Maybe some toffee and lemons with a little brown sugar thrown and in the finish there is just a touch of the 10% alcohol that pokes through. The more I think about it, it reminds me of some kind of trail mix I have had before.

Taste:

The first thing that comes to mind is something that resembles a blend of apple and banana cider. Loads of malty sweetness complimented by caramel, toffee, and nougat. In the middle some spiciness and cloves that could be from the Weihenstephan yeast and maybe some white pepper. Overall there is just a load of sweetness and a mish mash of fruity flavors delivered by a high level of carbonation and some tartness. But I will admit, you really cannot tell the high ABV in this beer and there is absolutely no burn at all. In the finish, I am pulling out more bananas and some sour tartness that leaves you with a dry finish yearning for more.

Drinkability:

Overall this was decent beer, although I don't think I could drink a whole bottle myself. I think this will really be a great beer to get people who are on the fence with craft beer into the game. Especially since everyone recognizes their name and their brand distribution is huge, this is a nice addition to the Sam Adams profile. I would say if you are OK with the price tag of $20 be sure to grab a bottle and give it a shot because this really is a fun beer to try, even if you are not a huge Sam Adams fan.

12-19-2010 22:18:43 | More by Bmoyer0301
Greywulfken

3.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok. Wow. No offense, but I was disappointed. And a $26 bottle near me.

Accompanied med rare filet mignon and steak fries. Champagne-style bottle was fun to open - made it all very festive.

A: Dark amber - I mean, nice, but when I hear, "champagne of beers," I'm expecting something a little paler in color; head forms easily - make sure to pour off the side of the glass or the head'll overwhelm you. Visible carbonation makes sense.

S: Warm, thick, sweet beer. Honeys and spice.

T: a little too sweet for my liking; reminded me of a one of the Unibroue beers (which are just as good and cheaper) - don't remember which one - either the Don De Dieu, the Maudite, or the Trois Pistoles (all worth trying)

M: a little too syrupy for my liking; the carbonation passes through readily enough, but cannot compensate for a too-heavy mouthfeel.

D: This sounds bad, but I didn't finish what I had poured - the last bit of a glass-and-a-half in a Duvel snifter. Part of this is the abv of the drink (I was already feeling its effects), and part of this was the overall drinking experience.

Too much hype, overpriced, and really just an average beer.

12-19-2010 22:09:12 | More by Greywulfken
mcallister

2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

Looks no different than anything else which hurts this considering it's 20 bux a bottle.

Tart fruit and berry aromas, with a yeasty, spice riddled esters. White pepper, lemon zest, and other tropical fruit notes.

It's not overly bad it's just not that great for the price. Tropical fruit, floral hops, pineapple, lemon zest, more white pepper, odd ester alcohol flavors, and just somewhat offputting.

Thin and lifeless very dissapointing.

12-19-2010 21:09:49 | More by mcallister
Chico1985

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Yet another beer that falls in the "I'd like to buy it but it's too expensive" category shared by cbutova. Thanks Cam!

Pours a rusty orange, darker than I expected. Super carbonated with bubbles everywhere. Big soapy white head stays at about a finger leaving some lacing.

Smell reminds me of a saison - yeasty, farmy, grassy, sweet, slightly funky.

Definitely getting that Weihen yeast character...kind of grassy with bready vanilla notes. Apples, pears, floral hops. Kind of reminiscent of white wine and champagne (kind of reminds me of Stone VE 10.10.10 in the wine aspect). It is pretty sweet but it's not quite cloying. There is not alot of booze in the taste but it is extremely heavy and warm in the stomach.

Mouthfeel is light, fluffy, highly carbonated, fits the beer properly.

Kind of a novelty beer, not something I'd want to drink very often, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

12-19-2010 16:18:05 | More by Chico1985
Pahn

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Lots of anticipation and ad copy surrounding this beer. I'm in the "Sam Adams and Weihenstephan both are capable of producing world class beer," camp, but was still trying not to get my hopes up too high for this one. As another note, the bottle is beautiful.

Appearance: Soft pour down the middle and side of the glass yields a 3 inch fizzy and active white head that dissipates steadily and loudly, leaving a somewhat long lasting 1/4 inch head and no lacing. Pours a translucent light amber and leaves occasional islands of lacing.

Smell: Fruity, like various berries and pear, along with some light citric hoppiness. Gets more floral and boozy with warmth. Not the deepest aroma I've gotten from a beer, but consistently pleasant and inviting.

Taste: Up front, vague fruitiness that transitions with bright carbonation to a thick, milky creaminess, with a clean finish and long, yeasty, sourdough bread aftertaste. The hops are mild; indistinct, but faintly herbal and citric. With warmth, the alcohol heat borders on solvent-like and completely overshadows all of the subtler aspects of the taste (e.g. the fruitiness disappears entirely before long). Eventually, some nice, interesting herbal and malt-forward flavors emerge, though the alcohol and yeasty finish are consistently dominant.

Mouthfeel: From start to finish and for better or worse, the mouthfeel of this beer is far more interesting and impressive than the taste. It's on the full side of medium bodied, with a substantial carbonation that never even gets close to irritating or distracting; rather, it moves from a pleasant effervescent feel to a thick creaminess that works well with the bready finish. There's very little dryness (personally, I think the beer would benefit from being a bit more dry).

Drinkability: I haven't fallen in love, but this is a solid beer that I'll have no trouble finishing. I'm not sure it delivers enough flavor to justify being the sipper that it is (the alcohol is very pronounced), but there are no off flavors and the mouthfeel is very nice.

The first sentence of any summary of an evaluation of this beer needs to mention that Infinium is overpriced. The beer is simply not worth $20, though perhaps the details of its creation necessitated this pricetag (I wouldn't know). If any of the above categories were mitigated by price, "Mouthfeel" is the only one that would score above a 2.5. This is a well-crafted beer, but I'm not tasting any particular flavors that I haven't had before (nor am I "seeing any of them in a new light.").

Sometimes I end a review saying, "This is the kind of beer that makes me excited about beer," and Infinium was marketed precisely as "that kind of beer". It's not. I'm reasonably pleased, but not excited. If I wasn't level-headed enough to realize that I would pay $20 to try what comes out of a Sam Adams / Weihenstephan collaboration even if it isn't ultimately noteworthy, I would be pretty pissed that I paid so much for this beer.

12-19-2010 03:54:44 | More by Pahn
atremains

A - looks like an outrageous IPA. Sea foam like white head. Vey aggressive bubbles.
S-pear, soapy, slightly pinelike. It was funky.
T- weihenstephaner dominates the taste. Citrus and champagne in the beginning. Apple malt
a-relatively smooth and fluffy, not overly carbonated. Slightly metallic
D-heavily carbonated maybe rough on the stomach.

12-19-2010 03:14:21 | More by atremains
Zorro

3.93/5  rDev +22%

Strong champagne like pop when the cork is removed.

Clear copper colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smell of vanilla and wine when uncorked. Very fruity aroma peach, raspberry and banana. Over ripe banana and vanilla with some caramel, makes me think Banana Brûlée.

Starts out sweet and spicy with an apple and banana aftertaste. Lots of banana flavor here with caramel, something like the dessert Bananas Foster.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability will depend on your like of banana, I personally like it but not $20 a Bottle Like.

12-19-2010 01:57:11 | More by Zorro
Brad007

Vermont

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Lots of carbonation present.

Lots of clove with perhaps a hint of citrus (grapefruit) in the nose. Very polarizing in general.

Clove, raisin and earthy tones run the gamut here, followed by a good dollop of booze. I don't think it's "boozy" but rather hard to pick out anything unique for taste.

Mouthfeel has lingering clove with a bit of banana bread and lingering alcohol/hops.

Polarizing would be the best way to describe this collaboration. It's certainly not SA Triple Bock but I'm not sure why I paid so much either. Would probably not buy this again.

12-19-2010 01:37:26 | More by Brad007
searsclone

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a goblet.

Yellow gold color very similar to the foil on the bottle.

Smelled honey, spices and alcohol.

Tastes sweet at first, then alcohol, green apple, and finish is smokey. The carbonation is very high and the beer is very sharp but seems to leave a bit of a syrupy coating on the tongue.

Drinkability is average, I will finish this bottle but I'm not in a huge hurry to open another one.

** originally purchased two bottles and reviewed one in Dec 2010 and kept one in the fridge. Opened the second bottle to taste and review on 01-01-12. Surprisingly, not much has changed. After reading my review, it seems to have less smell than before. Only get smokey scents now. Otherwise, everything seems the same.**

12-19-2010 00:40:32 | More by searsclone
Franz4

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

A- Explosive head, a lot more like champagne than beer in that respect. Color of a blush wine with a tint of gold to it.

S- scents of sweet raspberries with a hint of straw to it, quite inviting actually.

T- fruity and sweet, lots of fruit flavors collide on pallate.

M- Very much like champagne here, probably just what they were going for

D- A nice experiment in brewing I think, but too sweet for just any occasion, and I wouldn't substitute this for champagne. Overall though it was quite enjoyable in small amounts.

12-19-2010 00:38:20 | More by Franz4
mariposafan

Wisconsin

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours with a big, beautiful fluffy head over a medium amber body. Almost looks like a darker Duvel, but the head collapses much more quickly.

The aroma is citrusy hops with a little malt thrown in. Really reminds me a lot of Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Not a good thing, but not too bad, either.

The taste is a complete departure from the aroma. Very malty with some hops to back it up. Not sweet but also not dry. Very low bitterness with some nice richness. A comparison, for those who have had it, would be a drier version of Capital Brewing's Autumnal Fire with a little extra complexity. No alcohol noticeable in the taste which is amazing given that it's > 10% ABV.

The mouthfeel is very, very nice. Not too thick, not too thin and with the fine carbonation that you'd want from champagne.

It goes does very easily but it's rich enough that I wouldn't want many. And that's before the alcohol hits!

12-18-2010 22:59:25 | More by mariposafan
TheSarge

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

Let's see here. An American and German brewery making a French style beer. Awe, who am I to judge... This is my first stab at this style, though.

I poured this brew into a champagne flute, and it made about four fingers of rich off white head, and the body is ultra clear and gold with lots of suds keeping the heads retention to a finger thick.

In the aroma, it is very fruity esters, dry candied sugar, some apple, and maybe coriander or something like that.

Taste wise, it's like biting into a golden delicious apple with some candied sugar.

Altogether, I feel this is a tasty brew. A bit too expensive for what it is. I'd say this is like any other Tripel or some brew of that nature.

12-18-2010 21:34:38 | More by TheSarge
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)