Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass (closest I had to a flute)

A - Beer poured with a nice golden brown with lots (3-4 fingers) of head. Head dissipated very quickly though and was virtually gone within a minute or two.

S - Huge amount of spice with fruity notes.l

T - Light up front with some sweeter fruit tastes, maybe grape or pear. Spices were killing the middle/back of my tongue. It felt overly spiced, I got the tastes of pepper, lavender and basil. I really didn't enjoy the taste on the middle/back of my tongue and adjusted the way I was drinking it to minimize it. Had a nice finish with slight alcohol and malt.

M - Definitely Champagne like, but a little heavier than I was expecting. Not as light and bubbly as I'd hoped but still very crisp and refreshing.

D - I definitely enjoyed this beer, but was expecting more Champagne and less Farmhouse. Spices were reminiscent of Saison Du BUFF's floral spices. It paired very nicely with the Crabmeat stuffed shrimp and flounder I was eating, but I don't think I would enjoy this by itself. I definitely needed food to dumb down the taste a little.

3.6/5  rDev +11.5%

Merry Christmas! Opened this beer to pour for the family on Christmas Eve. Pours a clear golden color with a large white head that disappears quickly. Aroma on this beer is A LOT of white grapes. I also get strong alcohol scent with a bit of coriander and sweet malts. This beer almost smells like a fruity liquor of some sort. Taste is very fruity with a definite high ABV presence, but not at all overwhelming. It starts of crisp and tangy, and finishes with more smooth flavors. Nice spice with malts and Noble hops. A lot of orange and lemon flavors along with lots of white grapes. The mouthfeel starts off nice with a crisp bite to it, but then finishes with a not so pleasant feeling that is hard to explain. Drinkability is fair...I was content with my little glass of this, as I couldn't imagine finishing a whole bottle. And at this price, I probably wouldn't purchase another bottle, although I am very glad I was able to try this collaboration between two awesome breweries!

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

A - Beer poured with a copper hue (brown); one finger white foam formed; foam dissipated pretty quickly; the body of the beer remained clear from start to finish

S - Scent of high ABV, spice (coriander) come up with hints of malts and hops; crisp clean smell; sweet aroma of fruits on back-end shared with liquor tones; the beer has a malt liquor smell

T - Not too much taste on the front of the tongue; soft spiced beer in the middle with a malty/bourbon high ABV finish on the back of the tongue; nice mixture of highly complex ingredients

M - bubbly like a champagne wine; accompanied by a slight creamy mouthfeel' smooth down the hatch

D - This beer was definitely worth the two-year wait; I enjoyed every sip of this one; a celebratory beer, should be shared on special occasions and best served during the holidays; SA and Weihenstephan should collaborate again to make another brew

3.96/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle purchased at Shaw's in Windham NH. Pours a crystal-clear amber body with over an inch of persistent off-white head that leaves some decent lacing. Citrus pulp and pith with hints of caramel and grape. Citrus pulp and pith dominate the flavor too with some caramel notes and a strong vinous quality. On the dry side but not astringent with a fairly clean finish. On the lighter side of medium bodied with ample carbonation. Unique and drinkable. Nuanced in flavor especially, but tasty. A good beer alternative for a special occasion that calls for champagne.

2.61/5  rDev -19.2%

Presentation: 750 mL corked, caged, and wrapped black bottle. I love the packaging on this. Poured into my Portsmouth tulip glass and shared with a friend.

Appearance: Dark golden yellow in color with an uncontrollable head on the first pour. Lots of carbonation gives a bubbly white head but it dies down pretty quickly.

Aroma: Definitely sweet upfront in the nose. I get a lot of white grapes. A significant herbal note from the hops as well. They seem to be more prominent here than I expected. Some light caramel tones from the malt as well. Not sure of how these will all balance out though.

Taste: Very sweet upfront. Definitely cloying at first. The big problem here is that the hop profile completely opposes the sweetness for the alcohol and malt. Together they produce a flavor that is just plain unpleasant for me.

Mouthfeel: I enjoy the nice carbonation to try to keep this light, but the booziness and lack of balance here are too much for it.

Drinkability: Even with a little help, I barely was able to finish a bottle. And at $20 a bottle, I can't imagine having more than one anyway.

Overall, a real dissappoinment for me. Too much going on with nothing really complimenting anything else. The sweetness matched with the herbal hop profile was the killer for me. Not someting I'd recommend at this price tag.

4.23/5  rDev +31%

A - Very clear. Light caramel in color. Carbonated enough to propel the cork straight up, ricochet off of the light, and smack me in the face with authority....it's OK...I like it rough. Nice, light head disappears quickly.

S - No one smell dominates and it's hard for me to pick them all out. Wet grain. Banana. And what I believe is a small, measured amount of noble hop stank.

T - Light malty yeasty flavors...tastes like a dinner roll smells before being baked. I get over-ripe banana...not a lot, but it's there. Some other hints of fruits...guava and apricot. A soft bitterness makes an appearance and then a kind of a dry sour apple that hangs around for a while. To me, flavor-wise, there's a lot going on here, but not in a bad way. Vanilla with tastefully unleashed burp.

M - Light, crisp, dry finish. Small amount of alcohol warmth.

D - Interesting, flavorful beer that my wife and I both enjoyed drinking. For $20 it was a good one time buy.

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Appears a transparent light gold with a small white cap that slowly fades into a gentle film and collar. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of wheat,doughy yeast, lemon, citrus, turbinado sugar, dried apricot, vanilla, and honey. Perhaps a touch of bubble gum, as well.
A sweet honey flavor with notes of vanilla and golden raisins are the most dominant of all flavors coming through.
Mouthfeel is boozy, sticky sweet, and medium bodied. It reminds me of a mead fermented with champagne yeast. Not bad but not the $24 I dropped with huge hopes.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear golden straw color. Very active decanting. Poured a 3 finger fizzy white head the dissipated quickly to ring around the edge. Random spots of lace.

S: Lots of light-colored fruits. Wet grain. A little sourness in the background.

T: Huge malt flavor up front. Transitions to light, very sweet, fruits. Sourness in the finish that lingers through the bitter along with ripe fruit. Not real pleasant.

M: Light body. Tons of carbonation; actually turned flat as it decanted so rapidly (which didn't help anything). Crisp and fizzy at the start with alcohol building.

D: Unique and somewhat special, but I won't be buying a bottle to cellar.

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

A- Very filtered and has a crisp look. Nice foam at first but goes down rather quickly. There is a nice Belgian-looking foam that remains in a circle throughout the life if this glass of beer.

S- Sweet, almost berry-like quality. Banana is also evident. Slight hop stank as well.

T- Just like another reviewer, DPFRD, states, this beer starts banana and then goes into a sour apple taste. Ends with a slight hop bitterness.

M- Medium-low bodied beer, VERY carbonated, not in a bad way though.

D- Too sweet to be very drinkable. This is one beer that I could have one, but anything more would be too much for me.

Notes: Very interesting beer, for sure. However, if you take the price, and then look at how enjoyable this beer is, I feel that it is not worth the $20+ price. Some who enjoy a sweeter beer may likely enjoy this more. This is unique for sure.

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 750mL into a tulip. The look is spot on. Moderate gold, huge head, great lacing, very visible carbonation. The smell is where it starts to go a little downhill. Bready malts, yeast and light floral hops followed by a bit of over-ripe pear. Not amazing. Not $20 worth of smell. The taste mirrors the smell. Wheat somehow became sweet. Yuck, and this is the second chance I've given this beer. It finishes dry which is expected. Before that it is thin and overly sweet.
Barely drinkable, I would love my $20 back.

3.86/5  rDev +19.5%

Pop goes the cork, great sounding beer.
Poured from the bottle to produce a billowing head, foaming more densely then champagne. Head retention is great, a long lasting thick coating. Lace is spotty, but in the one or two spots there is thick foam spattered on the wall of the glass.
Color is pale and showing light caramel color.
Taste is actually something that surprised me. I was expecting a more dry sharp flavor. But there is some sweetness here, completely masking alcohol. Mouthfeel has a mild slickness coating the sting of carbonation. A little bit of cane sugar woody flavors. I dont think I'm experienced enough to even review this haha
I really enjoyed the beer, its different and thats all I can really add.

2.96/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Clear golden straw color with high carbonation. Nice high, white head that fades quickly to a covering.

S - Lots of fruitiness on the nose, but a lambic like sourness as well.

T - Lots of light malt flavors with a good dose of ripe fruit. Then that sourness hits again, perhaps what is good in a champagne is coming through too strong and even a bit of an offensive aftertaste.

M - Nice light feel with a crisp finish, accentuated with a alcohol warmth.

D - I must admit, I am glad this is a limited release...not too many people should have to spend so much on it.

2.69/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from the bottle into a flute.

A - Crystal clear, amber color with a ton of bubbles running up the middle. Big white head rests on top

S - Sweet, fruity aroma, some spicy notes and almost reminds me of a scented soap.

T - Unique would be one way to describe this... kind of fruity, a bit of a citrus hoppy presence, kind of boozy, spicy notes are present as well

M - surprisingly heavy and syrupy.

D - I dunno I'm not too big a fan though I do like it a bit more as I drink it. I wish it was less boozy. I'm glad to have tried it but don't see myself buying another bottle especially at its price.

3.7/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Clear straw color with a white head and some lacing.

S: A sweet and sour, almost brett smell.

T: Much like the smell, sweet and sour with a little bit of woody cork. It tastes a little like champagne mixed with beer. Not the best, but pretty good.

M: A little peppery on the tongue. Lively like champagne.

D: Definitely a unique beer. Wouldn't drink more than one of these, but the alcohol isn't very prevalent.

Nose is floral and fruity with bubblegum-like esters and a soft sourness. Smells good.

Pours clear amber with large head. Looks good.

Very dry with spicy carbonation. Solid malty base with a good bit of malty sweetness. Estery fruity. Softly herbal. Moderate bitterness reminiscent of orange pith. Tastes good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

Overall an enjoyable beverage experience. Now that I've experienced it, I won't need to again.

4.02/5  rDev +24.5%

Sam Adams Infinium

Appearance: golden amber, small head, and little lacing.

Smell: hops and flowery goodness with a hint of honey.

Taste: malty grain and subtle flowers and hops.

Mouthfeel: thick and heavy.

Overall:
It is much more malty than expected. It is pretty nice and rich.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Looks like a Kristalweizen, amber/goldesh hue, filtered... Head pours like a belgy and dissipates quickly, with some interesting activity.

S- Sweet, fruit(strawberry-like) and caramel with a banana finish... incredible. Yogurty, indiscriminate hop presence.

T- Up front banana followed by sour apple, with bitter finish... delectable.

M- Semi-thin, on the syrupy but in a bad way, and this where the amazing carbonation takes place.

D- Very sweet... is very similar too champagne so it is what it is. I would drink it again, but I'm not it's biggest advocate style-wise. Excellent brew though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Opens with a loud pop and the cork shooting way up and hitting my ceiling. Pours a very actively carbonated pale amber color with some golden and copper hints around. A slightly off white huge head is present at about 3 inches. There are active bubbles racing up the side of the glass.

S - Slight tartness. Mixed in with some ripened fruit sweetness. SOme slight bread notes an yeasty notes are present as well. There is some notes of pear.

T & M - I cant quite pinpoint this beer right away. It is quite dry with crispness a plenty. There are bread hints present along with some slight woody undertones as well and some yeast. There is some slightly ripened fruity sweetness involved in there that mixes up with some vinous notes. Slight banana and some pear, apple and grape. The finish is definitely very Champagne-like. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry with a medium-light body. There is a slight heat from the alcohol but the carbonation cuts it a bit just like it would in a sparkling wine.

D - It is a good beer but I don't think its great. Maybe not worth all the hype. Still ok.

3.47/5  rDev +7.4%

Big thanks to a predominantly non-drinking buddy of mine for bringing me a bottle of this to sporadically and uncharacteristically share with him. Poured into an AVBC snifter.

A: Pour a clear dark apple juice color with just an amazingly beautiful billowingly thick bright white head that did not move at all for a full 5 minutes. Finally this epic head slowly started to collapse under its own weight into an extremely thick frothy head. Great head retention, super dense solid sheet of lace. Very impressive.
S: I can't quite place this one. I definitely has notes of fruits, at least apples. Maybe some pears, apricots and grapes. It's hard to tack down. I pick up some yeast as well. After it sits for a while I get sweet notes of over ripened bananas.
T: A lot bolder, richer and stronger than the nose let on. Lots of alcohol in this one with a strange flavor. I definitely get grapes in the aftertaste along with some of the yeast. Other notes include raisins, sweet crackery malt, and banana. Finish is lightly sour and has a touch of bitter hops.
M: Medium-full body with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel and a pretty potent punch of alcohol. Finish isn't really dry at all.
D: Not sure how I feel about this one, but I think I'm good with my half a bottle. This is my first of the style so it is hard to compare other beers to it, and I'm not sure I would ever buy this again. My non-beer drinking friend loved it oddly enough. Perhaps this is an expensive gateway beer to the craft? Who knows.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy light golden orange color with about a finger and a half of foamy white head. The head did not last long and left behind no lacing. Lots of carbonation visible.

S - Very fruity aroma, with a combination of some sweet elements from apricots and pears to tart citrus elements like lemon. Also a bit of beady/yeast aroma mixed in.

T - Starts off with a combination of the fruity flavors from the nose with some sweet malt flavor also emerging. This transitions to a more spicy flavor with yeast flavor also pushing through. The finish has a kick of alcohol, making the 10.3% abv known. There is a slight amount of bitterness that is combined with very sweet flavors that lingers afterwards.

M - Light bodied and a heavy amount of carbonation. The carbonation and dryness of the beer make it super crisp, but the carbonation can be a bit much. The mouthfeel just feels a bit too tingly.

D - Decently drinkable. Very sweet, and after a while feels a bit too sweet. The overall light body and crisp mouthfeel are nice, but the crispness is cut by the sweetness. The taste balance is a bit unbalanced by the sweetness.

3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

Was reluctant to drop $21 on this but I figured it was better than getting another barrel-aged stout or something.

A- Perfectly clear orange with a huge and foamy white cap. Good retention and a nice pillow stays behind. An infinium of bubbles rise fromt he bottom and a small coat of thick lace stays behind.

S- German Weihenstephaner yeast up front. Gives me some dark and citrus fruit. Slight banana and clove that actually build as it warms. Banana bread feel later on. Pear notes, sugar/vanilla?

T- Starts out with fruit-less champagne feel and German yeast slowly works its way in. Clove, banana, hops (citrus, grass, earth, spice). Sweet but not cloying. Raisins as it warms. Some alcohol.

MF- Fluffy and creamy light body with high carbonation and a slight oily feel. Slightly bitter. Some warming.

DB- Very interesting and sometimes hard to describe. Has champange (except sweetness) and German yeast elements to it. Nice but hard to justify the price.

4.26/5  rDev +31.9%

This beer pours a crystal clear amber with a huge frothy white head that fills the glass on the least agressive pour. A great job on the champagne method removing the yeat.

The first thing I think of when I smell this is pineapple bananna juice. I get some wheaty malt notes too but the esters have taken over this beer.

The flavor mimics the aroma with the esters and phenols makeing up most of the favor. Banana, clove bready, sweet malt. It is a lot like a very big, very estery dunkleweizen.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky coating your mouth but leaving it ready for more when you swallow. This went down great for a high carbonation, high alcohol beer.

First of all, I'll readily admit I've not had any experience with any "biere de champagne." Few are available here, and those that are tend to be a bit pricey. And besides, what are we talking about here: a super-carbonated beer? Really? More carbonation in a beer? Well, just this week I bought a case of this for my retail establishment to see what would happen, and I purchased a bottle to experience it for myself.

The bottle is a nice package, with the reddish foil and black bottle with a small explanatory hang tag hung around the neck. Popping the cork proved to be not as intense as the same on a bottle of sparkling wine; just a press of the thumb on the back and it fell away. (The audible was impressive, though.) The smallest pour caused an incredible amount of eggshell white foam to develop, nearly filling my glass from the git-go. After waiting for the bubbles to disperse and practicing my technique, the rest of the pour wasn't nearly as dramatic. I held the glass up and examined the dark gold--nearly amber--hue. Bubbles continue to shoot up from the bottom of the glass, and the head, although shorter, seems effortlessly sustained.

The nose is really unique. Honey, a light fruit character (possibly apricot), and fresh-baked sweet bread are easily detected, while minor notes of crystal malts, light brown sugar, and alcohol linger in the background. Very enticing, that's certain.

Honey, bananas, apple cider, sweet malts, caramel, etc. Is there a flavor that doesn't show up here? Wow. I have to say this is a very flavorful beer, although the body is a tad lean (sparkling wines are typically the same). The carbonation isn't as off-putting as I assumed it would be. It's a wonderful blend of sweetness and maltiness, and finishing fairly dry. It's hard to imagine this is 10.3% ABV from the flavor. What I'm enjoying now is the lingering aftertaste that blends the honey and malts, with just a tad of fruity sweetness. (More banana than anything.) The alcohol becomes more noticeable at the end of the glass.

I can certainly understand why some might not find this enjoyable. The sweeter flavors are a bit unusual for many beer drinkers. For my taste, it's fine and very interesting, and I can imagine getting another bottle or two to cellar for awhile. I know the price tag is high, but this is an expensive brew to make. It should be sampled by many, just for the experience and a chance to broaden all our beer horizons. Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev +27.6%

A Christmas gift from a friend. Thanks, Steve.
In a flute, the beer was a golden color with an off-white head. Lots of carbonation. There was even a tiny bit of lace.
Nice aroma. Sugary sweet, fruit, peppery in the nose.
It tasted like a candied apple, with a late hit of hops.
Sweet, bubbly.
Very good.

3.52/5  rDev +9%

Appearance:

Tonight I decided to use my extra large fluted glasses since my household is lacking champagne flutes. I unwrapped the beautiful orange foil off the deep brown almost black flat bottom bottle and proceeded to pull out the cork and cage. Wow, this is hard as hell to get the cork out. I ended up snapping the head off and had to get a wine bottle opener out to extract the rest. Right before I slid it out a piece of the bottle lip cracked off and almost went in the bottle. After all that mess, I proceeded with the pour and knew this was going to be one heavily carbonated beer so I tilted very hard and went at it very slowly. I was left with a beautiful three finger thick bone white head that hung around for quite a while. There were loads of bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass the whole time. As I hold my glass up to the light this baby pours a deep golden almost straw colored with some shimmers of tan and orange. As I give a swirl there is a decent amount of lacing sticking to the walls of the tall glass.

Smell:

Right of the start I am greeted with fresh baked biscuits, caramel and light fruit undertones. Peaches and apricots are really coming to mind especially the candy rings that you can find at the store. Maybe some toffee and lemons with a little brown sugar thrown and in the finish there is just a touch of the 10% alcohol that pokes through. The more I think about it, it reminds me of some kind of trail mix I have had before.

Taste:

The first thing that comes to mind is something that resembles a blend of apple and banana cider. Loads of malty sweetness complimented by caramel, toffee, and nougat. In the middle some spiciness and cloves that could be from the Weihenstephan yeast and maybe some white pepper. Overall there is just a load of sweetness and a mish mash of fruity flavors delivered by a high level of carbonation and some tartness. But I will admit, you really cannot tell the high ABV in this beer and there is absolutely no burn at all. In the finish, I am pulling out more bananas and some sour tartness that leaves you with a dry finish yearning for more.

Drinkability:

Overall this was decent beer, although I don't think I could drink a whole bottle myself. I think this will really be a great beer to get people who are on the fence with craft beer into the game. Especially since everyone recognizes their name and their brand distribution is huge, this is a nice addition to the Sam Adams profile. I would say if you are OK with the price tag of $20 be sure to grab a bottle and give it a shot because this really is a fun beer to try, even if you are not a huge Sam Adams fan.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)