Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +13%

My first foray into this style, which is good for such a hyped beer. Pour is a golden, light amber. Head builds sudsy and white, like a Belgian brew. Aroma is very unique, syrupy and sweet; lots of fruity notes blending with a pilsner-like base. Very complex brew; lots of bready notes, ale-like, with a lighter brew style. Finish is dry with a lingering semi-sweetness, like natural honey. This is one funky brew. I think these two breweries could have done better, probably collaborating on a strong brew or the like. But this brew certainly takes the cake in the complexity department. A definite brew to try.

saintwarrick, Dec 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

A= The pour is a nice golden color with a huge white thick head on it that holds excellent retention and lacing on the side of the glass.

S= A swirl reveils a ton of alcohol. There is a little green apple and pears in it as well. Sort of fruity.

T= The taste is very unique for the beer. A little sweet very a dryer taste to it. A little hop bitterness as well. The yeast holds the dominate flavor in the fruityness.

M= Dry and clean. A lot of bubbles and a little tough to drink and filling.

D= The bubbles in here are a little much for me. The taste is about average. I can almost feel the headache coming in with each sip.

jjanega08, Dec 15, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

A: Deep rich golden color with a robust head that goes down but still leaves you with a decent sized finger length.
S: Fruity hop notes with some real dryness that I can sense.
T: Fruity at first with a slight hop bitterness. This does get some sweet breadiness from the malt but finishes with a really thick candied sugar aftertaste. Might be a little overly sweet but good sugar notes.
D/M: Fantastic carbonation and great effect with the bubbles. Tickles the tongue but is still rather thick and sweet. Not overly drinkable but still a decent brew.

pzrhsau, Dec 15, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

I hope these questions regarding this style are put to rest, and this stays as a Biere Brut because I need to tick off this style! Haha....

Review from notes:

Golden amber color, huge fluffy white head that takes forever to die down, lots of carbonation flowing to the top.

Aroma is an interesting mix of toasty malts, citrus, light mustiness, but overall, very clean smelling. Makes me wonder what kind of yeast was used in the fermentation and finishing. Tasting partner picked up pears, which I didn't notice until she said something.

Taste is difficult for me to describe. Flavor is very clean and light, with a decent caramel/toasty malt sweetness that gets washed away by the high carbonation. Hops give it a slight citrus edge, but they are not bitter in any way. Overall, it's just a toasty, semi-dry, and very clean tasting brew.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, carbonation isn't as biting as I expected. I thought i would have a Belgian-esque feel to it, but it doesn't, and that's good.

A very interesting beer. Nothing really stands out or blows me away, but it really is nothing like I've ever had before, and I do like it, but the price will keep me from ever buying it again.

KeefD, Dec 14, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +27.9%

There has been a lot of hype about this beer. For about 6 months, I have been looking forward in popping the top off this one. The thing about this beer is that you have to go into it with an open mind, it's much different from an average beer. The style, Biere de Champagne / Biere Brut isnt't for every one. In this case, tasters must have an open mind when pouring their fizzy, foamy Infinium into glasses.

Another thing to consider, is the history behind this brew. Now, Sam Adams, has been around for 25ish Years now, but Weihenstephan has been around since 1040AD, and is by now the oldest ON-GOING brewery... not the oldest ever, but the oldest around. Now, another thing to consider is the style of beer Sam Adams and Weihenstephan picked, it is a rare style that is seen in Belgium and France which is not commonly seen in to many places even in the respected countries they are known to be from.

Finally, the opening:

The beer popped, with a fizzy like, "champagne" feel, or I guess Sparkling Wine, and poured into my glass a thin, straw yellow color, that glowed with bubbly intensity. The fizzy carbonation made a quick and tantalizing head, which was very effervescent. The aroma was somewhat sweet characterized from the malt, but crisp.

The overall aroma, was of lightly roasted sweet malts, banana peels, citrus, and some hoppy & yeasty notes.

The taste, was dry, kind of crisp on the palate, which was accompanied by a floral, apple, and citrus notes... followed up by some hop bitterness, and a firm alcohol finish, which was smooth but noticeable.

Overall, I was impressed with this beer, I didn't think that Sam Adams would have pulled it off, and I thought that Weihenstephan was being a little ambitious with this interesting collaboration, but I think it was very nice. Another keen point many beer connoisseurs miss on this one, is that it is approachable by the mainstream and the select palate alike. This is crucial fro marketing it, and marketing their products, I'm sure this isn't going to be the last collaboration that Sam Adams does with Weihenstephan.

StevenBilodeau, Dec 14, 2010

L: Pours a clear golden yellow with a tall and thick off-white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, hints of banana, citrus, some yeast aromas, hops, and some spices I can't put my finger on.
T: Tastes of banana, citrus, apple, hints of some citrus-y hops, nice sweet malt base, and a hint of alcohol at the end.
M: Lighter feeling than I thought it would be but heavier feeling than it looks, perfect amount of carbonation, warming, smooth.
D: Very drinkable, this has some serious flavors to it while masking the high abv. Overall a really interesting collaboration beer.

erosier, Dec 13, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +17.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter glass. cork removal packs a big pop, reminiscent of a champagne bottle.

pours a mostly clear golden tone with a big, foamy 2 finger head. retention is middling; respectable lacing.

interesting nose on this one. fruity - notably banana, apple, and citrus - with notes of spices and some sweet maltines. something else i can't quite nail down, almost an astringency.

flavor opens with a distinct sweetness. the fruity characters and spice are evident, along with a muted presence of hops. alcohol is relatively well-hidden, noticeable mostly in the finish.

crisp, medium-bodied mouthfeel with high carbonation. a unique beer worth a try, and i would definitely be up to try it again, but i'm not convinced the $20 price tag is justified.

perrymarcus, Dec 13, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +17%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a foamy two finger head that dissipates to a fine lacing on the top of the brew. Constantly bubbling from the bottom of the beer.

S: Smells very yeasty. The first thing that I thought of when I smelled this beer is Polish Babka like my mom makes. Aside from the yeast smell, there isn't really too much else to this.

T: Well, I'm not going to lie here, I'm a little underwhelmed. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but there was a lot of hype behind this beer and I think I may have expected a little more that what it ended up being. Some of the flavors include a dry fruitiness with a bit of apricots and bananas with a little bit of citrus.

M: Bubbles on the tongue while drinking, enjoyable for sure. The right amount of carbonation for this lighter-bodied brew.

D: Quite drinkable, though again, I personally feel like this was a little underwhelming considering the hype behind the beer.

Daktyls, Dec 13, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +39.3%

Color: pours light golden yellow. sits crystal clear, slightly burnished gold with lots of active carbonation yielding a fluffy off-white head, but so much that it lasts a long time. lacing is good. if you swirl the glass you can see helixes of bubbles floating around in the middle of the beer. its glorious!

Smell: wonderful fruitiness dominated by bananas and apricots. there is a mild spiciness and alcohol presence directly underneath the fruity tones. light bready, yeasty character, floral hops and Pils malt to round it all out. great depth of aromas

Taste: mellow, rounded, dry fruitiness displaying bananas and apricots with a light spicy character from delicate hops and well hidden alcohol. nice Pils malt character. great balance but definitelytilted slightly more towards fruity. finish is slightly dry and balanced

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with medium-high carbonation

Notes: fantastic beer! not sure if im tasting something all that innovative in terms of style but no doubt a wonderful brew.

Frosty80, Dec 13, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

pours clear bright gold with a huge 2+ finger fizzy whit head that faded to a film and left no lacing

smell is SA Noble Pils with more malt and booze

taste - noble hops fruity yeast/malt i get buttery malt and lots of grainy malts that make this beer very sweet

mouthfeel is medium/heavy? and sticky

drinkability is terrible - SA suckered me again - $18 a pop - for a heavier version noble pils i will pass on picking up another bottle

jsh420, Dec 13, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -4%

The beer pours a clear golden color with a white head. The aroma is very sugary, along with a little bit of butter, wheat and citrus notes. Not sure why, but the aroma reminds me quite a bit of circus peanuts. The flavor is wheat, grain, bubblegum, more circus peanuts, alcohol and some citrus - lemons and oranges. The flavor is very sugary and boozy, so maybe this would benefit from some aging. Medium mouthfeel and a very high, prickly carbonation.

The beer is not bad, but for the $20 price tag and all of the hype surrounding it, I was very disappointed. Overall, the beer is a boozy, sweet mess with a lot of different flavors and aromas that don't meld well together. I expected more from two world-class breweries. Glad I got to try it, but at an extremely high price point, I will not try it again.

Mora2000, Dec 13, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +18.6%

First off, the bottle design is awesome. One of the cooler bottles I've seen in a long time.

Anyways, Infinium pours a light golden-orange with a thin white foamy head. Beautiful lacing.

Swirling the glass reveals lots of bready notes with citrus and light alcohol. Fruity esters and somewhat yeasty. Very bread dominant.

On the tongue I'm picking up a good amount of fruitiness and bread again. Faint, dry, citrus in the background. Estery. Slightly tart with a bit of yeast. Interesting.

Mouthfeel is crisp, dry and well carbonated. Works well with the flavor of the beer. Substantial, but not heavy.

This is an interesting beer. Different than most out there. It's not really my thing and for $20 I won't be buying it again. Kind of disjointed and odd. However, I wouldn't mind seeing these guys do another collaboration again.

sisuspeed, Dec 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

A- Poured into a snifter... Starts off with two finger thick white fizzy head that mostly disappears quickly leaving some behind. Liquid is a crisp light amber color with lots of activity

S- Has a semi sweet pear-like aroma with a boozy backbone

T- Starts out with a malty sweetness, tastes of pears, cinnamon, spice. Has a subtle bitterness that comes in mid swig and is present through the finish... accompanied by some boozy heat in the back of your throat

M- Medium body with medium/high carbonation

D- Its different and not really like any other american strong ale I've had... that being said, I don't think it's something I would drink normally, but worth a try depending on the price. I got mine for $16 which was high but worth it to try

CHEERS

bbeane, Dec 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a corked 750mL bottle into Champagne flutes

A-Pours a very clear yellow, almost looks like a macro lager. The carbonation though, the carbonation is apparent from the beginning. The carbonation is overwhelming, more than any beer I've seen

S-Fruit, banana, some hints of nuts

T-Very sweet. There does not seem to be any bitterness. Tastes a little tart. An interesting taste, unlike anything I've had before.

M-Very light and carbonation. The carbonation is felt like crazy. Very interesting feel.

D-The carbonation gets to you so after having a few I started burping like crazy. Glad I split this with my friend.

EDIT-Forgot mouthfeel, added it.

rlee1390, Dec 11, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance - The light toasted hazelnut colored liquid contains a lava lamp appearance from the bubbles underneath a thick cream puff crown. As the head dissipates, a solid foam wall clings to the side of the glass instead of your typical lacing.

Smell - Appley sweet but with the alcohol scent present. Some spice in there as well. Almost like a spicy, caramel coated fruit.

Taste - Starts very dry into a very subtle level of light hop bitterness (very faint) before the white wine-esque middle comes roaring in. There is a slight tartness intermixed with the malty sweetness which is playing with the alcohol notes. With the smell, this is coming off a little boozy.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation lightens up what could be an overly thick beer otherwise.

Drinkability - Between the nose, viscous character and malty sweetness; this feels a tad much. Even for a sipper, I am not really reaching for the next sip more so than I don't want to waste the rather pricey liquid.

Interesting for sure in that it isn't quite what I expected but it isn't' what I necessarily want either. Glad I tried it once.

MarioL66, Dec 11, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

appearance; clear straw yellow with a white fizzy head. Dissipates quickly, leaves acceptable lacing, yet it is not sticky enough to cling to the glass for the remainder of the drink. Very sparkling wein like carbonation.

smell; sweet, malty, pears. Some spicy and floral hops come through in the beer foam. Really nice balance, I'm impressed.

taste; starts off with sweet malts and finishes with an herbal hop bitterness. Malty notes hang around in the aftertaste. Some fruit flavors(perhaps raisen or fig and certainly pear) try to come through but are quickly muted by alcohol. This is one flaw I can detect, not that it ruins the beer but it compromises its complexity. Just a brief second of rich and sour yeast, which makes up for the fault in my opinion.

mouthfeel; fizzy and light bodied with an alcohol burn. Very crisp finish and somewhat dry.

drinkability; I had no problem finishing the bottle and the buzz was of a relaxing quality, good stuff.

Note: This beer is really OK, I liked it a lot but $20.00 for a bottle is a little ridiculous, it's not that good! If it were perhaps $10 cheaper, I would definitly buy again.

Sachsenfreude, Dec 10, 2010

Champaign, alcohol, bananas, white grapes,

Darker brown, HUGE amount of carbonation, bubbles all over the place, big white head, not overly thick and creamy, very Champaign like.

Fruity, lots of esters, a hell of an alcohol kick, almost a light light banana white grape and vanilla mix. The flavors really are focused on the back of the tongue. Other than a sweet note at the front. Really wish I could better explain this flavor.

The mouth is as carbonated as anything, though I have ot admit I burp less than with some other beers. The alcohol is a bit more than I expected or wanted but while it is there and VERY noticeable I still thought it was under 10%. I think this type of beer hides the ABV while still show casing it in a way. Very full body but the carbonation hides it a well early on.

I have to say a 20 dollar bottle is a hard pill to swallow and why is this 20 bucks? That said this is pretty unique and extremely interesting. It on uniqueness alone justifies the price and while not my style it's still something I'm happy to have paid 20 for. If my buzzed math works this is about 57 bucks for a 6 pack so in the EXTREME higher prices.

This is about the hardest beer I've ever reviewed. Unique to justify cost vs just what I enjoy. It's tasty and unique which works for me.

bobhits, Dec 10, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -21.1%

750ml brown magnum. Corked, caged and foiled. 2010 vintage date on the foil.

Lots of hype around this brew before the release. The head is nearly explosive which obviously shows a lot of carbonation here, Crystal clear pale amber color with some bubble action. Sweet nose of fresh baked bread, taffy, nougat, faint dried tropical fruit and a light chalky yeast. Massive crispness cuts a little bit into the sizable body, a sweeter palate here which I expected something a bit dryer. Odd dextrin sweetness clashes against a boozy alcohol, reminiscent of a clean malt liquor. Fruitiness of white cherries and ripe pears is nearly missed as the alcohol drops a peppery warmth on the palate. Malty? Sure ... some bread and dried grass. Hops are present with herbal tones but seems to just add a bit of flavor than balance. Semi-sweet finish with lots of booziness on the breath.

Hmm ... not what I expect at all. The sweetness and boozy character threw me for a loop and makes it hardly drinkable at all. Not sure if any length of cellaring will even help this beer. While I applaud the efforts from packaging to the idea this ends up being a miss for me.

Jason, Dec 10, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

I had the chance to try this beer as Sam Adams were filming some of the promotional items for this (IE the commercials). Poured in to a Sam Adams snifter, the color is clear orange, with a good amount of foamy white head. The scores of air bubbles in this beer suggest that it is high in carbonation. From the nose I pick up some soft peach and pear notes, mango, baked bread, and a hint of spice. Flavor is dry, yet sweet, with many of the same traits found in the smell, but not nearly as accentuated or clear. As another reviewer stated, it does have a hint of Boston Lager to it (a byproduct of the yeast I am assuming). I also get a minor hint of funk. Like champagne, the mouthfeel is well carbonated, scrubbing the palate well, and medium in body. The alcohol is well hidden, which is a plus given its overall strength. I am not sure where Sam Adams/Weihenstephaner got the idea that this is a new style of beer, as there are others out there (not many, but still). I don't think I would throw down another twenty for a bottle, but it is worth trying given that there are so few examples of this style around. Cheers to this collaborative ale.

jamie2dope, Dec 10, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

750mL bottle at Flying Saucer poured into 3 tulip glasses a crisp orange with a decent slowly diminishing off white head. The aroma is white wine with a trace of noble hops and mild alcohol. The taste is very sweet fruits and grape with just a slight hop bitterness. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with nice carbonation, there is certainly alcohol presence, but it's not too much. This is certainly a beer worth trying, also worth saving for a special occasion.

atsprings, Dec 09, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very clear budweiser color. yellow and fizzy, check. Four fingers of head that almost overflows onto my counter, check.

smell of bananas, wha? Lots of them, that was a bit unexpected, sure I expected a bit, but this was very strong. underneath that, which was hard to get through, was the smell of belgian yeast, some feet and a hint of cinnamon and coriander.

taste is very strong on the banana, but finishes VERY clean, my first swallow, I had planned on reviewing the flavors, but the finish sticks out after the banana assault. after sipping this a while, I am beginning to notice that I feel like I have a sort of mucus buildup growing near the back of my throat. It is most unpleasant, and cant say this has really happened with a beer before, I wonder what would cause this... not sure where to take that hit, so putting it under mouthfeel...

Anyway, back to the flavor profile... lemon on mid-palate. After a few sips the banana seems to disappear and more of the lemon comes out. The alcohol is WELL masked, cant believe this is 10.3%.

This is pretty good. I am pretty impressed, though I didnt have much of an expectation going into it.

crusian, Dec 09, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 2010, 750 ml bottle into a flute glass.

A: Crystal clear, soft light copper, steady stream of carbonation bubbles. Soapy white billowing head that took some time to settle, but did so into a weak cap with no lacing.

S: Dry and champagne-esque. Malty qualities, bready, grainy and stale biscuits. The hops are hopelessly lost here and this definitely resembles more of a dry wine or champagne than a beer. Some sweet passion fruit and orange at the end of the nose.

T: The malt qualities dominate the palate, and once again the hops are gone. Dry and piercing, biscuits again with some grassy notes and a distinct Pinot Grigio finish.

M: Thin and light bodied, though the carbonation deceives the palate into thinking this has more body than in reality.

The high ABV and overall dryness of the beer is good, but nothing you'd want to stick with for long. This is good to share as a celebration drink, not your go-to, obviously. I'm glad I was able to grab two bottles of this, but in all honesty, I wouldn't buy it again. I applaud the two breweries for the collaboration and I'm happy I got to try this. It's definitely worth a shot since this is a once-and-done beer (we think).

ShanePB, Dec 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

Served in a wine glass

This beer pours a deep copper color with a decent fizz that settles down to just a thin layer that stays on the top throughout the drinking experience. The smell is of white grapes, caramel, honey and a bit of oak sour. It combines in a rather nice way that creates a sweet melange on the nostrils. The taste is fruity with some pear and orange. Caramel sugars are rather obvious on the palate as well. It's got the right amount of fizz, but I think the body is still a bit on the heavier side. This is still a really good drinking beer, and will be perfect for beer lovers on New Year's.

Vdubb86, Dec 09, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Got a 750ml bottle at the West Des Moines Hy-Vee. The bottle is an appealing black/cobalt blue with gold lettering and a festive pink and orange wrapper.
The brew itself is a clear medium-copper producing a boatload of fizz in my perfect pour glass. The foam was thick and settled to a 1/4 finger that lasted almost the whole glass.
The aroma has a touch of citrus on top of an interesting hop/malt mix.
The taste, amazingly, like a dry champagne. Take that flavor and add in what seemed like a touch of wheat and a hint of peach for something I've never tasted before.
The body was perhaps a light-medium with the consistency of a decent IPA.
The aftertaste fluctuated back and forth from semi-dry to dry, every gulp had a different amount.
This was definitely an experience to try out, but with the $19 price tag I don't see myself picking up this one frequently, even if it was a regular brew. On a positive note the alcohol is well hidden. I got through about 1/3 of the bottle and wasn't feeling buzzed at all.

DesMoinesMike, Dec 09, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +27.9%

A: Lovely pour... a very nice golden honey hue, topped with a head taking up nearly 1/4 of the glass. It doesn't take long to recede to just a collar and film, but it's a good initial appearance all around.

S: The aroma hits me not long after lifting the glass... I detect a rather fruity scent, along with some spicy notes. Some nice, sweet citrus aromas and some floral qualities. Not much for a pungent hoppiness... everything seems very 'pretty,' for lack of better words.

T: It's almost as if a pilsener has the assertive hopping removed and is replaced by fruity esters. On first contact, the flavour is a bit sweet, followed by a warm malt, a touch of spiciness, and a hint of alcohol on the finish, bringing with it a suitable warming. Maybe it's the influence of the alcohol flavour that gives it a bit of a vinous quality.

M: The sparkling carbonation makes for a lively drink. Had it been finished with more dryness, I would have been floored by it. Nonetheless, it is nice, crisp, and quite refreshing... granted, that could be a bit of a red flag, considering the alcohol content!

D: Aside from the little spot of alcohol noted on the finish, it's incredibly well hidden. It drinks ridiculously easily, though I would find myself on the fence about picking it up again at $20. I will admit that I enjoyed it enough that I do find myself interested in another... plus, it IS pretty much on par with other beers of the style, as far as cost goes. Perhaps it will be a beer of choice for the New Year celebration.

Proteus93, Dec 09, 2010
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)