Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok. Wow. No offense, but I was disappointed. And a $26 bottle near me.

Accompanied med rare filet mignon and steak fries. Champagne-style bottle was fun to open - made it all very festive.

A: Dark amber - I mean, nice, but when I hear, "champagne of beers," I'm expecting something a little paler in color; head forms easily - make sure to pour off the side of the glass or the head'll overwhelm you. Visible carbonation makes sense.

S: Warm, thick, sweet beer. Honeys and spice.

T: a little too sweet for my liking; reminded me of a one of the Unibroue beers (which are just as good and cheaper) - don't remember which one - either the Don De Dieu, the Maudite, or the Trois Pistoles (all worth trying)

M: a little too syrupy for my liking; the carbonation passes through readily enough, but cannot compensate for a too-heavy mouthfeel.

D: This sounds bad, but I didn't finish what I had poured - the last bit of a glass-and-a-half in a Duvel snifter. Part of this is the abv of the drink (I was already feeling its effects), and part of this was the overall drinking experience.

Too much hype, overpriced, and really just an average beer.

2.67/5  rDev -17.3%

Looks no different than anything else which hurts this considering it's 20 bux a bottle.

Tart fruit and berry aromas, with a yeasty, spice riddled esters. White pepper, lemon zest, and other tropical fruit notes.

It's not overly bad it's just not that great for the price. Tropical fruit, floral hops, pineapple, lemon zest, more white pepper, odd ester alcohol flavors, and just somewhat offputting.

Thin and lifeless very dissapointing.

3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

Yet another beer that falls in the "I'd like to buy it but it's too expensive" category shared by cbutova. Thanks Cam!

Pours a rusty orange, darker than I expected. Super carbonated with bubbles everywhere. Big soapy white head stays at about a finger leaving some lacing.

Smell reminds me of a saison - yeasty, farmy, grassy, sweet, slightly funky.

Definitely getting that Weihen yeast character...kind of grassy with bready vanilla notes. Apples, pears, floral hops. Kind of reminiscent of white wine and champagne (kind of reminds me of Stone VE 10.10.10 in the wine aspect). It is pretty sweet but it's not quite cloying. There is not alot of booze in the taste but it is extremely heavy and warm in the stomach.

Mouthfeel is light, fluffy, highly carbonated, fits the beer properly.

Kind of a novelty beer, not something I'd want to drink very often, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Lots of anticipation and ad copy surrounding this beer. I'm in the "Sam Adams and Weihenstephan both are capable of producing world class beer," camp, but was still trying not to get my hopes up too high for this one. As another note, the bottle is beautiful.

Appearance: Soft pour down the middle and side of the glass yields a 3 inch fizzy and active white head that dissipates steadily and loudly, leaving a somewhat long lasting 1/4 inch head and no lacing. Pours a translucent light amber and leaves occasional islands of lacing.

Smell: Fruity, like various berries and pear, along with some light citric hoppiness. Gets more floral and boozy with warmth. Not the deepest aroma I've gotten from a beer, but consistently pleasant and inviting.

Taste: Up front, vague fruitiness that transitions with bright carbonation to a thick, milky creaminess, with a clean finish and long, yeasty, sourdough bread aftertaste. The hops are mild; indistinct, but faintly herbal and citric. With warmth, the alcohol heat borders on solvent-like and completely overshadows all of the subtler aspects of the taste (e.g. the fruitiness disappears entirely before long). Eventually, some nice, interesting herbal and malt-forward flavors emerge, though the alcohol and yeasty finish are consistently dominant.

Mouthfeel: From start to finish and for better or worse, the mouthfeel of this beer is far more interesting and impressive than the taste. It's on the full side of medium bodied, with a substantial carbonation that never even gets close to irritating or distracting; rather, it moves from a pleasant effervescent feel to a thick creaminess that works well with the bready finish. There's very little dryness (personally, I think the beer would benefit from being a bit more dry).

Drinkability: I haven't fallen in love, but this is a solid beer that I'll have no trouble finishing. I'm not sure it delivers enough flavor to justify being the sipper that it is (the alcohol is very pronounced), but there are no off flavors and the mouthfeel is very nice.

The first sentence of any summary of an evaluation of this beer needs to mention that Infinium is overpriced. The beer is simply not worth $20, though perhaps the details of its creation necessitated this pricetag (I wouldn't know). If any of the above categories were mitigated by price, "Mouthfeel" is the only one that would score above a 2.5. This is a well-crafted beer, but I'm not tasting any particular flavors that I haven't had before (nor am I "seeing any of them in a new light.").

Sometimes I end a review saying, "This is the kind of beer that makes me excited about beer," and Infinium was marketed precisely as "that kind of beer". It's not. I'm reasonably pleased, but not excited. If I wasn't level-headed enough to realize that I would pay $20 to try what comes out of a Sam Adams / Weihenstephan collaboration even if it isn't ultimately noteworthy, I would be pretty pissed that I paid so much for this beer.

3.98/5  rDev +23.2%

A - looks like an outrageous IPA. Sea foam like white head. Vey aggressive bubbles.
S-pear, soapy, slightly pinelike. It was funky.
T- weihenstephaner dominates the taste. Citrus and champagne in the beginning. Apple malt
a-relatively smooth and fluffy, not overly carbonated. Slightly metallic
D-heavily carbonated maybe rough on the stomach.

3.93/5  rDev +21.7%

Strong champagne like pop when the cork is removed.

Clear copper colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smell of vanilla and wine when uncorked. Very fruity aroma peach, raspberry and banana. Over ripe banana and vanilla with some caramel, makes me think Banana Brûlée.

Starts out sweet and spicy with an apple and banana aftertaste. Lots of banana flavor here with caramel, something like the dessert Bananas Foster.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability will depend on your like of banana, I personally like it but not $20 a Bottle Like.

3.53/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Lots of carbonation present.

Lots of clove with perhaps a hint of citrus (grapefruit) in the nose. Very polarizing in general.

Clove, raisin and earthy tones run the gamut here, followed by a good dollop of booze. I don't think it's "boozy" but rather hard to pick out anything unique for taste.

Mouthfeel has lingering clove with a bit of banana bread and lingering alcohol/hops.

Polarizing would be the best way to describe this collaboration. It's certainly not SA Triple Bock but I'm not sure why I paid so much either. Would probably not buy this again.

3.04/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a goblet.

Yellow gold color very similar to the foil on the bottle.

Smelled honey, spices and alcohol.

Tastes sweet at first, then alcohol, green apple, and finish is smokey. The carbonation is very high and the beer is very sharp but seems to leave a bit of a syrupy coating on the tongue.

Drinkability is average, I will finish this bottle but I'm not in a huge hurry to open another one.

** originally purchased two bottles and reviewed one in Dec 2010 and kept one in the fridge. Opened the second bottle to taste and review on 01-01-12. Surprisingly, not much has changed. After reading my review, it seems to have less smell than before. Only get smokey scents now. Otherwise, everything seems the same.**

3.87/5  rDev +19.8%

A- Explosive head, a lot more like champagne than beer in that respect. Color of a blush wine with a tint of gold to it.

S- scents of sweet raspberries with a hint of straw to it, quite inviting actually.

T- fruity and sweet, lots of fruit flavors collide on pallate.

M- Very much like champagne here, probably just what they were going for

D- A nice experiment in brewing I think, but too sweet for just any occasion, and I wouldn't substitute this for champagne. Overall though it was quite enjoyable in small amounts.

4.09/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours with a big, beautiful fluffy head over a medium amber body. Almost looks like a darker Duvel, but the head collapses much more quickly.

The aroma is citrusy hops with a little malt thrown in. Really reminds me a lot of Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Not a good thing, but not too bad, either.

The taste is a complete departure from the aroma. Very malty with some hops to back it up. Not sweet but also not dry. Very low bitterness with some nice richness. A comparison, for those who have had it, would be a drier version of Capital Brewing's Autumnal Fire with a little extra complexity. No alcohol noticeable in the taste which is amazing given that it's > 10% ABV.

The mouthfeel is very, very nice. Not too thick, not too thin and with the fine carbonation that you'd want from champagne.

It goes does very easily but it's rich enough that I wouldn't want many. And that's before the alcohol hits!

4.21/5  rDev +30.3%

Let's see here. An American and German brewery making a French style beer. Awe, who am I to judge... This is my first stab at this style, though.

I poured this brew into a champagne flute, and it made about four fingers of rich off white head, and the body is ultra clear and gold with lots of suds keeping the heads retention to a finger thick.

In the aroma, it is very fruity esters, dry candied sugar, some apple, and maybe coriander or something like that.

Taste wise, it's like biting into a golden delicious apple with some candied sugar.

Altogether, I feel this is a tasty brew. A bit too expensive for what it is. I'd say this is like any other Tripel or some brew of that nature.

3.82/5  rDev +18.3%

750 ml corked bottle poured into a Champagne flute. There is a quick flash of white fizzy head that disappears almost immediately and leaves no lacing. The body color is a clear dark yellow. Even though there is no head or lacing, there is still a lot of carbonation activity.

Once the cork popped there was an initial dry Champagne smell. As it warmed up it became a sweet, fruiter aroma. I was getting a lot of white grapes and apples. Hops barely make an appearance. A little floral flavoring blends in with the fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is a little heavier than a traditional Champagne, but the effervescent carbonation keeps it light and crisp. The yeast creates a bone dry finish.

2.46/5  rDev -23.8%

A- For a complex expected beer this was surprisingly golden amber-colored, clear and filtered. The intended bubbles of this style were not present and with a half finger head.

S- Aroma from this beer fruity, with apple, pear and spice. Overall quite appealing.

T- The initial flavor screamed of fermented apple cider with a ton of added malt. Imagine yourself on a deserted island with only caramels and apples and you must melt them down as your only source of sustenance. After a few days you find a skanky hop bush and throw a few hops in at the end just so you know that they are there. Very little hoppiness is present, maybe only at the end.

M- The carbonation is similar to that of champagne with very small bubbles that are easily detected with each sip. Somewhat thin but coats the mouth.

D- Overall each sip became less bearable. The flavors wore on you and just were not that desirable. I could not imagine drinking more than one glass at a sitting as this beer was high in alcohol content and strongly flavored.

Notes- This beer was purchased at a local watering hole and served in pint glasses. The champagne flutes depicted in the in the advertisement were not given to us by the female bartender. It was worth trying as we were very curious but I would not purchase again especially at the price and just was not that enjoyable.

Peace, Love, Big Tuna

4.02/5  rDev +24.5%

The other night after we closed our liquor store, we settled down and had a bottle of Infinium. From the beginning, I knew there was something different with this beer. Coming from an extensive wine background, the first thing I noticed while pouring this was the very delicate bubbles in the glass. This is how the best champagnes also look.
The ale was a light golden color with not a lot of nose. But as soon as I had the first sip, I realized what they were after.
The basics. The taste was pure clean and very refreshing.
It did not have tons of flavors, nor any distinguishing tastes, but it was perfect to drink.

4.02/5  rDev +24.5%

Popped the cork on this and shared with my wife after we signed our lives away on our new home.
I had a bitch of a time getting the cork out, and when I finally did pieces of it were still attached to the glass in the neck like they were super glued there. I can't imagine how hard this will be to pull out if someone lays one of these down.
Pours a crystal clear deep copper color with a massive pillowy white head that slowly dissipates but leaves massive lacing on the way down. Killer aroma of toffee, taffy, tropical fruits, and a touch of herbal from the hops. The aroma reminds me a lot of a well aged barleywine or very fruity saison. Taste is tropical fruity mixed with toffee. Bits of herbal hops cut through some of the sweetness as does a touch of alcohol. The overall taste is sweeter than I thought it was going to be, the semi sweet finish leaves a lingering fruity sweetness after every sip. Medium body, Medium high level of carbonation pricks the tongue a bit with every sip.
I really enjoyed this one its a very tasty beverage. Its not what I expected it was going to be, I thought it was going to be champagne like dry, but I was pleasantly surprised. If this wasn't 20 dollars a bottle I would sock some away for a rainy beer day, but since it is I will just have to say I'm glad I got to try it.

4.44/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Let me just state up front that this cork is a bitch and a half to get out. I love the effect of the cork, but I'm really starting to hate most of them as they are inevitably too tight.

Pours and amber/golden color with a large off white head thats somewhat thin, and disappears moderately quickly.

Mildly wine-like on the nose, some pear/apple fruit smells along with some vinegar and a touch of german hops.

Heavy fruit flavors dominate the initial taste, with peach, pear, apple, pineapple, and lemon all present. Finishes tart with some spice from the hops, but doesn't linger on the tongue for long at all.

The thinness surprised me a bit, as I was expecting more body and substance to it. As it is a champagne beer though, I suppose it fits. The carbonation is abundant here as well, and does its job to accentuate the tart and fruit flavors in the beer.

This is an incredibly easily drinkable beer for being over 10%, as there's merely a hint of the alcohol on the finish. Overall I'm impressed with this new creation, but I'm not blown away.

3.56/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well... the presentation alone is worth twenty bucks. It's a gorgeous contemporary champagne bottle done up with patent medicine font and text.

And it pours purty, too. Super dark, like a beer, but just as fizzy as champagne.

Smells... oddly, like Sam Adams Boston Lager. Like, there's a 95% similarity, if you held the two up to my nose I'd easily confuse one for the other.

Tastes like SA's Boston Lager up front, like a really heavy, sweet, and yeasty version of SA's BL in the back. It's an astoundingly weighty beer, and every bit of it is beery. I don't know where the Champagneyness comes in. Theres's nothing vinous here, nothing even Belgiany. It's just like a really alcoholic, aggressively yeasted American version of an English Pale.

This is Sam Adam's version of that Budweiser celebration ale that AB released a few years back. I mean, I know they were both brewed in different ways, but they have the same affect. It's like a bigger, sweeter, bubblier version of the flagship. And while it works, it's nothing too special.

4.12/5  rDev +27.6%

Caught somewhere between a Belgain Saison, a German Hefeweizen, and a Champagne, this fruity and dry beer is a hearty compliment along side of any sparkling wine for the Christmas and New Years celebrations.

Pouring a hazy deep staw color, the beer carries a spritzy carbonation on a creamy looking malty base with a fluid head stance that retains and laces very well. Just a pace off of the driest of beers, this beer carries a bit more visual weight than I expected.

Tropical fruit aromas release a plethera of appricot, peach, pineapple, pear, mango, papaya, kiwi, and banana. Mild spice of white pepper, orange zest, clove, corriander, and a touch of cinnamon decorate the peripheries of the fruity/yeasty/briny scent.

Flavors of wheat breads, fresh yeast/fresh baked breads give a firm malty base to the beer. Bold flavors of moderate fruits give a firm but mellow pace to the beer while mild spices of cinnamon, lemongrass, and sasafrass give roundness and refreshment to the fruity/malty mid palate and ushers in a zest finish.

The effervescent start subsides to allow creaminess and a bready fullness in the middle of the taste. But the finish of herbal, alcoholic, hoppy dryness helps as the beer fades into the fruity/bready aftertaste.

Reminding me of classic Sahti's, Saisons, Hefeweizens, and sparkling wines, this beer borrows a lot of characteristics from fruity/spicy/characterful beers of bready/wheaty origins. Where challenging, I applaude the bravery of otherwise traditional brewers to get to these new blends of taste. It's just a step off of the pace of DeuS and Brooklyn's Sorachi Ale. Instead of the medium bready mid palate that makes the beer a bit fatty, I'd prefer much more dryness and spiciness driving toward the finish.

3.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml decorative foiled corked and caged brown bomber with a tag around its neck.

The cork opens with a loud pop. It pours a lot diferent than I was expecting. It is a medium to dark gold with a foamy white head that actually dissipates at a slower pace than I was expecting. It leaves some spotty lacing.

The smell is also unexpected. It has far more hops in it than i expected. It is a nice noble hop scent. There is also some honey apple, white grape, and bread.

The taste is pretty good. It isn't as magnificent as you want it to be, but it is good. There is a nice bit of alcohol in the profile along with white grapes. The hops that graced the smell are long gone. It has a cloying sweetness, but it isn't quite over powering. It does have some dryness, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. The main flavor here is "rotten fruit" alcohol, which might sound bad on paper but it is very champagne like. I wonder what a quick barrel aging would have done to it.

The carbonation is high, although the body is still pretty full.

It has some of the shortfalls that often occur in SA but overall it is a solid and unique beer. Not a 20$ beer, but buy one and share it it is the best you could do for it.

4.17/5  rDev +29.1%

A: Pours a deep amber/honey/orange color. The brightness is very stunning. At first a two finger white head forms that gently settles to a ring. Some sticky lace is left.
S: Big toasted malts up front. Crusty bread/biscuit. A dried fruity aroma as well that I love. Dried and fleshy apricot. I light caramel sweetness lingers. I love it.
T: Big toasted malts and fresh baked bread up front. A dry fruity flavor that follows the nose. Again, I get a lot of apricots. There is a nice caramel sweetness to balance everything out. Very clean flavors.
M/D: A medium to full body. Really crisp, clean, and dry. Very easy to drink. The alcohol is noticeable, but a good beer to sip on.

I really enjoy this beer. Very unique and interesting. More than that, it is also good. To many beers are just interesting to try once. Though I will finish the bottle without a problem, and probably get another bottle. Something I would recommend.

3.35/5  rDev +3.7%

$20 for the 750 at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

Blindingly bright gold coloured, there's a smallish head of foam that's shrinking quickly leaving spotty lacing. There's just a few tiny bubbles streaming up from the bottom of my glass.

The smell is very hoppy and earthy and spicy. A peculiar nose and I'm on the fence whether I like it or not. I'll take more whiffs later.

The taste, well, is just as peculiar. There's a lot of hop action going on, some weird fruitiness, spicing that I have trouble identifying, earthy and slightly sweet malt, and boy is this sucker dry. That goes with the style but hell it is dry!

The mouthfeel at first feels thin but just before the swallow it comes across as very syrupy and has me befuddled. A ton of carbonation(right for style) with the mf and my tongue and throat are wondering what is going on.

Drinkability would be absolutely terrible if it wasn't for my palate getting some what used to what's going on with the beer. It's not nearly as bad as the words I've typed up there but this is not something I'd buy regularly. I do think it's worth a shot despite the high price tag.

1.56/5  rDev -51.7%

Color/appearance - a bit darker than expected. A deep hued amber/orange. Expected more of a pale, duvel-like color. Nice frothy head with med to high carbonation

Nose - Very unappealing buttery note overwhelms the nose. Smells like a diacetyl tainted lager.

Taste - Again, the buttery note is strong and not appealing to my taste. I expected something drier, and more crisp and clean (soemthing like a duvel but without as much yeasty character). Underwhelmed. Came across as very flawed - diacetyl and strange finish (like a bad homebrew note which is hard to desribe). I don't see the connection to champagne.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, but could be drier.

drinkability - very low for me due to the overwhelming buttery note. Glad to try once but totally disappointed. This beer didn't do it for me.

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

My first foray into this style, which is good for such a hyped beer. Pour is a golden, light amber. Head builds sudsy and white, like a Belgian brew. Aroma is very unique, syrupy and sweet; lots of fruity notes blending with a pilsner-like base. Very complex brew; lots of bready notes, ale-like, with a lighter brew style. Finish is dry with a lingering semi-sweetness, like natural honey. This is one funky brew. I think these two breweries could have done better, probably collaborating on a strong brew or the like. But this brew certainly takes the cake in the complexity department. A definite brew to try.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

A= The pour is a nice golden color with a huge white thick head on it that holds excellent retention and lacing on the side of the glass.

S= A swirl reveils a ton of alcohol. There is a little green apple and pears in it as well. Sort of fruity.

T= The taste is very unique for the beer. A little sweet very a dryer taste to it. A little hop bitterness as well. The yeast holds the dominate flavor in the fruityness.

M= Dry and clean. A lot of bubbles and a little tough to drink and filling.

D= The bubbles in here are a little much for me. The taste is about average. I can almost feel the headache coming in with each sip.

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

A: Deep rich golden color with a robust head that goes down but still leaves you with a decent sized finger length.
S: Fruity hop notes with some real dryness that I can sense.
T: Fruity at first with a slight hop bitterness. This does get some sweet breadiness from the malt but finishes with a really thick candied sugar aftertaste. Might be a little overly sweet but good sugar notes.
D/M: Fantastic carbonation and great effect with the bubbles. Tickles the tongue but is still rather thick and sweet. Not overly drinkable but still a decent brew.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)