Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -48%

Cracked this one open on New Year's, poured into Champagne Flutes.

A - First of all, the packaging is brilliant. Pours pale gold with a large, densely packed head of tiny bubbles that sticks around for some time. Think whipped egg whites. Lots of visible carbonation. Looks like champagne.
S - Sweet, bready malt, grapes, apples and lemon peel. Acrid alcohol burn, like cheap malt liquor. Messy.
T - Ugh. Malty bread dough, grapes, butter, and earthy hops with some spicy yeast characteristics. Definite alcohol taste and "burn" really detracts from the taste. I don't like this at all.
M - Medium-bodied with a weird oily feel. Carbonation is lower then expected. Not as Champagne-like as I'd hoped.
D - I couldn't finish a glass, let alone the bottle.

I really wanted to like this, and that was before I dropped $20 on a bottle. Oh well.

3.23/5  rDev 0%

i wasnt sure what to expect. But for the price, i expected more. Definatly bubbly, but not champagne like. Malty, alcohol aromas, notes of earthy herbal hops. The taste is very sweet with the alcohol coming through in the end. I think of pears while drinking this.

3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

S: Malty sweetness, some honey, some bread and floral hops.

L: Crystal clear burnt yellow, white effervescent head that dissipates.

T: Honey and malty sweet with a very effervescent fruity mild bitterness. A grapey almost winey note borderong on grain alcohol is present. Spicy on the backbone.

M: Very highly carbonated, medium bodied.

Interesting beer, very unique. That said, not very impressive, almost malt liquor like. Glad i tried it, but i wouldn't have it again.

4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

A: Infinium's cork pops much the same as a champagne does. It displays exceptionally fine bubbles that race from the foot to head. The body is crystal clear, and displays a gentle copper color.

S: I was pleasantly surprised by the aggressive bouquet of this brew. Toasted croissant and brioche, delicious.

T: Slightly sweet, though it's supposed to be a brut, with the aforementioned croissant and brioche. There are also minor notes of black cherry.

M: The bubbles are plentiful, but the body is slightly sticky.

D: This brew is definitely groundbreaking; I've never had anything like it. I will admit that I had something else in mind when I bought this bottle, but I have to say that the surprise was, for the most part, a pleasant one.

3.7/5  rDev +14.6%

So, after reading about this beer and watching the Sam Adams videos, I really expected a champagne-like beer....something like the bubbly, dry Belgian and French versions that have been around for a while. Wow...was I wrong...this is nothing like the other champagne brews. Instead, the beer has a richer, more amber color. It is certainly effervescent...bubbly, and dry. But, it's also very, very malty. Lots of malt character, from the first smell through the finish. The alcohol plays tricks with the malt...giving a boozy, rum-like scent and flavor. There is a bit of fruit, and a notable crispness to the beer as well. It is moderately bitter, and there are some distant herbal hop notes. The centerpiece, however, is the malt. The malt and alcohol do become tiresome after a while....not a beer for quantity. Yeast play a key role in the beer's character as well. It mouthfeel is medium-light. This one is interesting. It's a technical curiosity...getting a bubbly-like brew from all malt...but it's also a bit one-dimensional, and that does become tiresome, effecting drinkability.

2.28/5  rDev -29.4%

750ml bottle split with russwbeck and poured into an Infinium flute.

A - The bottle opens with a loud pop and pours a pale straw color, gradually building up a thick and puffy 3-fingered head of snow white. Has pretty good retention as it stuck around for almost the whole drink. Bad lacing, however. On our first pours, there was an absolute torrent of carbonation rushing from the bottom of this drink, but upon the second and third glasses, the carbonation completely died until there was only about one or two slow streams rising. Lost carbonation very fast.

S - The smell is modest, but packs a lot of apple and grape notes. Big bread malts come through as well. Smells akin to a brut champagne of questionable quality as it's not as clean or refined. Not much going on here. As it warms you can get the alcohol as well.

T - Upon the first taste... I was actually pretty satisfied. The apple in the nose really came into its own here and it was refreshing and crisp. However, I'm not sure how or why, but this flavor just drops out after about 3 seconds and I'm left with an uninspiring, bland, dull malt and yeast flavor. It's dry without bringing any discernible flavors, and sweeter than in the nose. If the beer kept the flavor from the first few seconds, it would be tolerable if not pretty good, but what's left is a lack of palatable flavors.

M - Mouthfeel is dry with carbonation that runs the gamut from huge to a level that makes Lost Abbey seem like shaken up Dr. Pepper. I'm not sure what's with the quick dispersion of any carbonation, but it doesn't help the flavors here at all. Long finish with an almost medicinal aftertaste.

D - Drinkability is low. There are a few beers that I'm glad I've only had a limited quantity of, and I'm sorry to say this makes that short list. While the initial appearance and flavor are good, the taste and everything following is a bit embarrassing given the price point for this beer.

1.78/5  rDev -44.9%

Reading threads and threads of criticism about this brew I was still unconvinced this was as bad as it sounded. I finally opened this bottle and found it was really not good at all.

The appearance was adequate, with healthy carbonation and healthy color.
Smelled terrible, similar to rotten compost and decomposed vegetable. Each whiff I took I shuddered at the thought of indulging it with my mouth.
One of the worst tastes I've had in a long time. The rotten vegetable taste persisted. The supremely unpleasant taste was overpowered overwhelmingly with the strong butterscotch flavor. The general consensus of this brew justified itself and I concluded that this is a failure.

It was borderline drinkable at the moment. But after finishing this 750 cc. behemoth myself I've experienced malaise and gastrointestinal discomfort for the following few days. I strongly discouraged anyone from partaking this, as this mighty Infinium is as undesirable as the general population's opinions.

3.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Let me start off by saying I will never buy this beer again, not anywhere near worth 20$. Next let me say that it is impressive none the less, Sam Adams has done something completely new, never done before. It is unlike any beer I have ever had in the past, so I give them kudos for that. With that being said, it just was not that good. It has a generic color, nothing special there. Not much of a smell, subtle hints of fruit, that's about it. Mouthfeel is much like that of champagne. Drinkability would be high but the taste just kills it, it tastes like champagne mixed with a bunch of fruits that should not be mixed together, basically a bad smoothie taste.

1.9/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

180th review on BA
bottle to flute

Christmas presesnt to myself.

App- A very yellow pour with a large head that took a couple pours to get a normal 2 finger head to it. Bubbles for days dance up the glass.

Smell- A very weird smell on this beer. Almost outright butter. A little bit of hops with spice.

Drink- I am not a fan of this at all. I like a lot of Sam adams and Weihenstephan do. Not this one. It was bad. I think the style maybe the culprit but probably not. Just a bad beer.

Mouth- This is a medium body with a high carbonation.

Drink- I drain poured 20 bucks. Damn that sucks.

3.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Clear yellow pour with a bubbly white head. The bubbles rising from the bottom of my Infinium tasting glass are pretty impressive, but decreased with my second pour, and were essentially gone by the third and final one. Head had decent retention and lacing.

S: Sweet and malty smell, perhaps a hint of alcohol.

T: All the taste happens up front. Apples, maybe a bit of a champagne taste, but then it all drops off. It's really impressive how the taste just, disappears. A bit of a dry aftertaste, but that's it.

MF: A nice hit of carbonation, which also shows with the bubbly pour. Sort of tingly when you drink it.

D: Pretty high actually. I don't really taste the alcohol at all. This was one of the lone things I was impressed with.

UPDATE: I had a bottle of the 2011 and noticed a definite difference. I'm pretty sure they changed the recipe a bit. The taste was a bit more boozy and more like champagne. I actually liked it a lot more, but didn't write up a review. I would say if you can find it on sale for around $15 it would be worth it.

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Ok, its really more a wine then a beer. Its a much heavier less carbornated champagne. Smells of sweet grapes and a little fruit. Flavors follows with taste of sweet reislings and muscat grapes. Its a great beer to buy once and use for a special occasion, but nothing to drink more then once.

3.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a ligth amber with straw coloured edges. Large head that gives way to minimal lacing

Smells initiallylike laffy taffy and caramel apples. A hint of grapes in the background, then a slight plastic smell in the very background, which may come from the yeast

Tastes like it smells. I don't get any hops at all, mainly a sweet caramel flavour, dry finish gives way to a crisp floral aftertaste that then disipates to sticky caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is effervescent, but it is also quite sticky and fuller bodied than its appearance would make you think.

Drinks fine, kinda sweet, starts to get more"wine like" in it's finish as the bottle goes down.

Overall ok, but a lot of hype and price tag are not really justified

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

reviewed from notes on 1/3/11

moderate pour leaves foamy head on golden color beer that quickly recedes and had lots of carbonation, looks alive and inviting. Smell some hops, smell some wine like notes, floral and perfumy. Tastes citrusy floral, qualities like that of a traditional bavarian beer, but something is not working, i'm being thrown off. The beer is medium bodied, smooth finish, lots of carbonation, with a very weak middle, and strong on the front and back ends. Infinium is drinkable, yes, but not really interested in trying again, but a must have at least once.

1.2/5  rDev -62.8%

I will keep this simple. The first time I bought this beer I thought it had to absolutely be infected. Then I tried it again a few weeks later and it had the same overpowering butterscotch smell and flavor. If this beer had any potential, the butterscotch ruined it. Honestly, I still hope I am drinking from any infected batch because anyone who puts this out as a product should be ashamed of themselves.

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Samuel Adam's Infinium Ale pours a big fluffy head over a clear, deep gold brew. Carbonation is very lively: big fat bubbles- the nose sweet berry, with notes of bubble gum riding over funk. More fruit is up front in the flavor, riding a crisp light barley malt backbone. I'm picking up notes of wood and citrus too, with a touch of spicy/earthy hops off the back- Saaz, maybe? Mouthfeel is light and crisp tending dry, with a subtle, fruity/herbal tea aftertaste. I think this would make a pretty good dessert beer- a brilliant experiment just made to be shared with your wine drinking cronies!

3.03/5  rDev -6.2%

This beer pours an amber color with two fingers of bubbly head that doesn't stick around very long... Very similar to champagne. The aroma is similar to a wheat beer with some fruity and malty scents. The aroma is similar with a lot of sweet malt and some fruity esters. Very lacking in hops... I think some hoppy bitterness would add greatly to this beer. The mouthfeel is fairly harsh and overcarbonated. Overall not worth the hype/money.

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Definitely surprised me.

A: Served in a thin pilsner glass the appearance is what it should be, light and bubbly!

S: Fruit notes hit the nost right away.

T: Begin 10.3% you can definitely notice the alcohol but it is soon overcome by the intense carbonation and fruity notes.

M: Strong, crisp and clean.

D: One bottle will get you going, it's a good beer to lay back with.

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured an orange body with a bright white head.

Taste is very fruity, malty and funky with a huge carbonation. Very much a butterscotch sort of malt. Reminds me very much of a english barleywine sort of but the super strong wheaty funk and fruity butterscotch make it an odd combo. Very warming alcohol but not harsh at all, very warming. Hops really aren't noticable and there's not a huge bitterness, just balance.
This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, I honestly can't find a catagory to put it in. It's not Belgian, its not American and its not German but its not anything else either. Crazy beer.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

750ml bottle opened on New Years Eve and shared with nonstick. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - POurs a crystal clear golden amber color. 3 fingers of fluffy white head sit on top and show great staying power. Goog lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S - Buttery - over the top buttery! Bready malt, herbal aromas (can't identify), light cloves and bubblegum, sugar...a little bit on the weird side.

T - Buttery, popcorn...bready malt, alcohol. Not a big fan of this.

M - Rough...super buttery, lite booziness. Too much for me.

D - Not loving this. Butter overwhelms and kills it for me. Trying to force this one down but not really happy about it. Ultimately this ended up a drainpour for both of us.

4.15/5  rDev +28.5%

I really enjoy this beer and usually try to snatch a few up whenever my distributor gets a case.

A -The appearance of this beer is beautiful. Extremely clear "school bus" yellow color. If it is not poured very slowly a huge head can form, and even with proper pouring a substantial head exists and a full head is generally always present. There is a ton of bubbles streaming to the top of the glass. I like to drink it in a champagne glass, it is a very pretty beer when served like this.

S - The smell is not everwhelming. Mostly fuity notes and not much obvious hop aroma.

T - I really enjoy the taste of this beer. It is a very crisp, dry fruity experience, much like true champagne. It is not overly boozy and it is hard to detect the 10.3% abv.

M - The beer is very airy in your mouth and you can tell theres quite a bit of carbonation.

D - This beer is highly drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden and overall this is a terrific beer. I really enjoy popping one open and enjoying it over an hour or so.

I really enjoy this beer and if you are lucky enough to see a bottle of Infinium at your distributor, you should buy it. I think every beer connoisseur should try this beer if they get the opportunity, as it is really special and original. However, it does have the $20 price tag. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you can spend the money but because of this price tag, it may not be for everyone.

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

a- hazy dark color with a strong head with strong head retention and lacing

s- some fruity notes with a sweet malty undertone

t- pretty good- initially sweet but it has some fruity undertones, and as other reviewers have said it does develop hop notes as it warms, aftertaste reminds me of some Belgian beers I have had recently

m- fairly light with strong carbonation

d- the 10.3% was not evident and all around it was just a pretty decent beer that is simply overpriced (something that didn't bother me because a friend gave me half of his)

3.53/5  rDev +9.3%

750ml bottle from Chevy Chase in DC, served at my engagement party. Every young girl, whether she admits it or not, dreams of finding herself a good ticker someday. I'm not one to brag, but good ol' Nick D is a rather impressive one.

Pours a clear bright copper color with a well-formed yellowish head.

The aroma is nice and pleasant, sweet malty notes and light fruits, apple and pear, with mild spice.

The flavor is not amazing but enjoyable. Sweet pale and caramel malts, light fruitiness, spicy hops, oak and vanilla.

The palate is great. Lighter on the body but smooth, with somewhat lively carbonation.

Playaz be hatin' on this beer, but you know, it's really not all that bad. I didn't find anything terribly offensive about it, and I enjoyed the half of the bottle I drank. I have to knock the drinkability score down a bit though because at over $20, it's a real ripoff.

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Flute glass.

A. Opened with the loud pop of a bottle of champagne. 4+ fingers of head. Good retention. Thick lacing. Color is hazy golden yellow.

S. Smell is yeasty at first. Lemony citrus comes out as well. Has a bit of a sour smell. Sweet malt gives a sweet aspect to it.

T. The easiest way to describe this beer is to say it tastes like a champagne beer. Sweet malt provides an intial sweet taste. Has a bit of a sour flavor after the sweetness. The lemony citrus comes out as well. Has a yeast flavor. Not overly complex in either smell or flavor, but I think the brewers did a great job of showcasing a lighter style. I don't understand all the bad reviews and hype surrounding this beer.

M. Medium/low bodied. Lots of carbonation. Finishes fairly dry with just a bit of lingering sweetness.

D. What can I say, but don't believe the Hype. All the bad hype that is. I was expecting this beer to not be very good, and was pleasantly surprised. The 10.3% is not apparent at all in this beer, not in the smell, taste or drinkability. This is the first Bière de Champagne that I have had, and i have to say that so far I like the style. If anything I think that this beer is an excellent example of the fact that there are different strokes for different folks.

3.1/5  rDev -4%

From notes, 12-31-2010

A - big white head, golden looking body, lots of very small bubbles. Looks quite good.

S - dry, a light, fruity character, winey grapes, sweet malts.

T - What happened here? There's a sweet syrupy malt character, which clashes horribly with a strange dryness. Even though the hops come out a bit as it warms, the balance is way off, and there's something that tastes almost salty about it... dang

M - quite light and thin, seems a bit small for the abv

D - it's a weird beer that I don't like the taste of. Drinkability can't be that good, then...

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Served in a champagne glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

Here's how a beer geek ushers in the new year: a champagne-styled beer. It pours a clear golden amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises green apple, rice, corn, and that lemon-lime mixture that so many sodas have been built around. The taste holds notes of wheat, corn syrup, light fusels, and toasted rice husks. Not yum here. The body is a light medium, with an active carbonation, a fizzy feel, and a very dry finish. Overall, I applaud the experimentation, but the final product does not do it for me at all. I could only finish my small glass by turning it into a shot. Not at all what I was hoping for, I can tell you that.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)