Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +29.4%

The Infinium poured a crystal clear amber with bright golden highlights shining wherever the light caught it. It was obvious from the very beginning that this beer was going to have more champagne characteristics, especially when I poured it and a huge 4-finger thick head of large, clean bubbles built up effortlessly, threatening to spill over the sides. Unfortunately, the head didn't last long and quickly fell into a few carbonation-fueled islands of small rapidly popping bubbles. Throughout the duration of the drink, there were lots of champagne bubble lines constantly flowing from the bottom and sides of the glass that transferred over into the mouthfeel quite a bit.

I was surprised when I initially smelled mashed bananas in the light aroma, but they were well balanced by snippets of cloves, sweet malts, light sprinklings of brown sugar and slight hints of apple cider that came through as it warmed. There were some very quiet hints of light wheat and a yeast (which I've seen referred to as a Belgian yeast) seemed to pop out once in a while with the bubbles, while something bready - almost doughy - hid in the background. It was a nice clean smell with very little discernible alcohol in the nose, and was a nice combination of beer and champagne, neither really overwhelming the other.

As soon as it hit my tongue, there was a distinct sharp green apple tartness that really surprised me as it was very reminiscent of a bright cider, but with nice full carbonation, which was more of a champagne quality. Despite the initial shock of sour apple, it easily transformed into softer sweet, chewy, bready malts and the belgian yeast with a touch of spice swirling around golden delicious apples. The mouthfeel was very smooth, creamy and refreshing and I found it very difficult to detect the 10% alcohol in the taste - that presented itself in a nice warming sensation that built gradually. Overall, I think I've decided that this beer is more like a heavy champagne than any kind of beer, even though it nicely holds qualities from both categories. I do not think many beverages, regardless of what they are made of or where/how they are made, are worth $20+, but that is no reason for me to go and rip apart how this beer let me down, was a disappointment, or didn't live up to my expectations. If I were to go into every beer (or any experience for that matter) expecting to encounter every good rumor and all the built-up hype I had heard about it, I would be severely disappointed with a lot of things in life. How could I be happy? Instead, I went into this beer ignoring what everyone else had said and had my own wonderful experience with it. I really enjoyed all of the different components that brought it together and would gladly buy it again for a special occasion if it were continued.

Lucklys, Jan 04, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

Samuel Adams Infinium is a beer that is really interesting, and sadly a bit overpriced. With that said, I liked it. Insofar as a bottle beer goes, it has a very pleasant aroma (it smelled like orange blossom honey). Head was very small, almost nonexistent, with very fine bubbles. Flavor was very smooth, but a bit muted in my opinion... I wish it were a bit stronger. It felt like listening to Beethoven, but only at 30% volume- it doesn't do it justice.

If it were cheaper, I would drink it much more often.

theNYX, Jan 04, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

A - Really does look lovely - the color is a brilliant off yellow with more than ample white head and bubbles flying every which way. Wish I could give this bonus points for the bottle, because it looks like pure class.

S - Smells like artificial banana, other yet-to-be-determined fruits, some kind of cleaning chemical and just a touch of clove or pepper spice.

T - As much so-so press as Infinium got, the flavors are clean and simple. BUT...very sweet and fruity - apricot, banana, a little lemon. I find the ester and yeast characteristics to be a little overstated. For all I know, this is what they were going for, but it is much too sweet for my taste.

M - This is very effervescent, body is thin but does not remind me of champagne.

D - I would only ever open this for a New Years type occasion, or perhaps this would be a beer to open for non-beer drinkers. That said, I can't justify the price tag. To answer the actual "Is this drinkable?" question, meh. The excess of carbonation combined with the fact that none of the flavors are really pulling me back, does not make this terribly drinkable.

drewba, Jan 04, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance- Poured into a flute. Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head, quickly dispating. No lacing was left, lots of active carbonation.

Smell- light fruit notes, some banana. Champagne like yeast, not as fruity though.

Taste- Very plain. Light fruit notes and some grainy alcohol. Not as fruity as a decent chamapagne and not as dry either. A bit buttery even. People had compared this to a malt liquor and I thought that was a bit extreme, but after tasting it, that is a pretty accurate descriptor.

Mouthfeel- Very light body, high carbonation. Made me burp a ton.

Overall- Weinstephaner is great, Sam Adams is if nothing more respectable for what they have done for the craft beer movement, but this beer was a big time fail for me. Glad I got to try, but would not drink it agian or recomend it. It is expensive, but I would gladly pay even more for a bottle of DEUS.

JLeege, Jan 04, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a flute glass (thanks to buschbeer for sharing) to a golden honey yellow. The bottle had been open a bit by the time I poured a glass, so any overcarbonation that was mentioned by others was obviously missing from mine. Smell is straight butterscotch mixed with some toffee. The slight bready note was pretty faint. Tasted like eating a Werther's Original candy. Very light booziness. I didn't really find the alcohol to be too strong. The sweet malt and overwhelming butterscotch, however, could have been tamed slightly. I'm glad I got to try this one.

alkemy, Jan 03, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

I had this as a Christmas beer with some family members.

A: It was a golden yellow color, very much like a good champagne. Lots of foam that dissipated quickly, still bubbly after a few minutes in the glass

S: It was a fruitly/banana like smell, which was a tad off from what I was expecting based upon Sam Adam's description of it being a champagne like beer.

T: Reminded me of a hefe, not much else jumped out at me and wow'ed me.

M: It left a light and clean after-taste in my mouth.

D: It was a decent to good beer, but not worth the 20 per bottle. I have two more that I am going to age and see if it improves

wstein70, Jan 03, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt on New Years Eve because Sam Adams told me I had to and there was no chance I was going to kiss him. Poured into various tulips.

Beer is dark yellow with a slight haze, big head of medium and large bubbles that doesn't bother to stick around. Carbonation is moderate to high with bubbles forming at every nucleation point on the glass and rising through the beer quickly to see if the head was still there, as stated earlier, he bailed.

Aroma is slightly vegetal to me with some odd breadiness to it. Perhaps some cloves or mild spiciness to it...some pilsen sweetness as well.

I know my score is going to end up higher than the standard on this beer and I'm not sure why. I did not like this beer as much as I had hoped, but I also did not like Deus as much as I hoped either. A lot of the things I didn't like about Deus were also present in this beer so this may be a style that I can easily avoid in the future...but I didn't think it was terrible. Definitely not a repeat but definitely not a drain pour. Beer was mildly sweet with a pretty strong / odd yeastiness to it in the midpalate and a harsher dry / bitter finish on the end that lended itself to an unpleasant aftertaste. Really not my bag.

drabmuh, Jan 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

So this was poured into champagne flutes and then poured again and again. The carbonation is exactly like champagne with a nice yellow hue and large soft white head. The head dissipates quickly, but the "bubbly" stays throughout the session. The taste is a little clovey and slightly banana; I'm not sure if one layer of the beer was a hefe yeast, but it tastes like it was. The body is light, but the carbonation leaves a slight bloating. Not a beer I want to drink on a regular basis, but interesting to try. FYI, I'm not a champagne fan.

phishgator, Jan 03, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

750ml bottle, opened for the New Years countdown and split with some friends. A loud pop of the cork followed by a nice pour into a Cantillon flute.

Infinium looks nice coming out of the bottle. There's something very appealing about the color, which lies in-between a straw and light gold. Notable carbonation but no real head retention or lace. The head was gone within a minute of 2011.

The smell is nothing like what I expected. It's pleasant enough, but seems out of place in a Brut biere. The first thing I got was banana and tropical fruit, then some wheat and yeasty scents. The fruit is nice but there's really nothing out of the ordinary, and I expected it to smell drier, more estery and less boozy.

The taste is bready and has some hefeweizen characteristics. Next, some fruit including banana and peaches dance along with crackers and grass. A bit of corriander and clove along with slight black pepper hit just when the alcohol peaks then fade away. This is just not cohesive and Deus puts it to shame. Finishes sweet with notable booziness.

Mouthfeel is sparkling and drinkability is high for a 10.3% that, odds are, is being shared and not consumed by one person in one setting. I can't help but feel like this beer was a dissapointment. I thank Sam Adams and Weihenstephaner for the effort, but I wish they didn't hype this to be something new. It wasn't that unique except for the price tag.

jampics2, Jan 03, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer, particulary for the price, was quite a letdown. Fizzy carbonation, a bit overcarbonated. Sharp up front, with distinctive apple notes, then going a bit bready with a nondescript finish. One-dimensional and not at all engaging. Apparently the money is in the bottle, not the beer.

Brent, Jan 03, 2011

Lot's of hype and anticipation for this beer. Saved it for New Years Eve.

Poured into a champagne flute and got a nice thick, small-bubble, head.
Initial thought on aroma was of sweet apple; though as it warmed in the glass the yeast definitely took over.
Highly carbonated in the glass, but a very smooth mouth feel. Easily drinkable.
I also (maybe due to the smell) perceived a bit of an apple taste at first. That didn't last too long. Very little to no hop presence.

Prior to drinking this I read throughout beeradvocate of Infinium compared to a cheat malt liquor. If this was put in a blind taste test with a 40 oz. of St. Ides I'd be curious to see the results. However, for $20 a pop I don't think I'll be buying another Infinium. At least not the 2010 (and if it took them 2+ years to develop this one I doubt 2011 will be any better).

I did give points in appearance for the bottle!

ricchezza, Jan 03, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

New Year's 2011 beer, and the New Year started off pretty rough...

$20 for 750ml @ JB's in Spokane, WA

Poured to champagne flute.

A: Honey ale with just a hair of cloudiness. Two finger white head loosely dissipates to single finger, which remains during the duration. Small fine champagne bubbling reiterates the head.

S: Wow, butterscotch! Like a bomb of diacetyl was ignited in the bottle. Once I am able to dive down below the scotcheroo, I find apple skins, nougat, and hints of vanilla and oak.

T: Sweet, sweet. Some grain, bavarian yeast flavor, some florals. Some dried apricots. And something that took me awhile to place: raw almonds.

M: This beer is a paradox in the mouth, one of it's saving graces. Difficult to describe: heavy, light, bubbly, smooth.

D: For over 100 years of quality brewing experience, this couldn't be the best beer they could come up with. I appreciate their attempt at exploring a new style, but when it comes across as a poorly crafted Faro beer, I have to feel let down. Proclaiming this to be a beer drinkers alternative to champagne or sparkling wine, is a fail. Too sweet for most drinkers I know. This is a great alternative to champagne for a Riesling or Gewurtstraminer wine drinker.

harrymel, Jan 03, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

A - This pours a beautiful transparent golden color. It has a big white fluffy champagne head, that overflowed from the glass and went all over my counter top. The head also left little bits of scattered lacing as it fizzed down to a small ring at the edge of the glass. There are also a lot of carbonation bubbles present.

S - The smell is sweet and yeasty. There are doughy, and bread notes, as well as some earthiness. I am so getting some golden fruits and just a touch of hops.

T - It tastes of bready malts and belgian yeast. There is also a nice bit of light golden fruits present. It is sweet, but there is also a nice spiciness to it. I am getting a small hint of the alcohol presence as well.

M - This has a nice medium body and high carbonation. The carbonation tickles the tongue and mouth. It is creamy and goes down smooth. There is also a slight alcohol warming sensation.

D - The drinkability is good. A lot of people have been a little too harsh on this beer in my opinion. I think it is a very interesting beer. I have never tried this style before, and it is certainly different than anything I have ever had. I think this is a great drink for a beer drinker who is at an occasion that normally calls for champagne. Other than a lot of people, I am glad I spent the $19 for a new experience. Good beer for special celebrations.

JizackFH, Jan 03, 2011

Poured from the bottle into a flute. Classy.

This is beer is an excellent example of why glassware matters. My friend sitting on the other end of the couch poured his into part of the bottle into a tulip and I poured it into a flute....I wrote that already. I was having problems picking up the scent of the beer. I could pick up some apple notes and some grape, a little bit of the alcohol from the 10.3abv but that was it. It smells like the welches sparkling champagne.

Oh the look, I went out of order. There's a lot of head on this one, as there should be. It's strange, not unnerving, just strange seeing a beer bubble as much as this. I haven't experimented in the Biere de Champagne style before, but I've had champagne and well, this definitely looks like one.

It's sort of tart. Infinium is a very sweet beer. There's some pear to it, apple (lots of apple) and grape, like an alcoholic capri sun. Not that sweet, but close. After my first sip I started racking my mind trying to come up with what I've had that tasted this way before and I freaking just figured it out. It is very reminiscent of Rogue's Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor. That's right, this reminds me of a malt liquor. It's very appley with this strange drying component to it. If I was to drink a beer out of a paper bag, I could easily do it with this beer. It looks like a champagne but it tastes like a beer. It lacks the "tickling my nose" sensation that champagne is supposed to have.

I don't know where to put this, this is just a strange musing. Infinium sits oddly in my stomach. It's got the heaviness and warmth of a bourbon but I feel very gassy from drinking this. Possibly not safe to drink in the presence of female company ;-)

This is - again - a really sweet beer and this kind of drags to drink after prolong periods of time. It's not very bubbly either which is sad seeing as it bubbles like a fish tank. Infinium is also a twenty dollar beer so that's a hefty price tag for this. Drink it if you like to buy pricey things but you're probably not missing out on anything else wise.

FernMaster, Jan 03, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -21.1%

750mL bottle served into a tulip

Pours a crystal-clear amber color. I almost expect to find a fly in it, ala Jurassic Park. Two fingers plus or soft, soapy off-white head. Lacing is pretty meh, actually, despite the amount of foam. Still, that abundantly translucent body is nice to look at.

Weird nose. I'm not sure that it's good, but it is interesting. Lots of phenolic astringency up front, like rubbing alcohol. Past that, I pick up some pear skin and a little bit of white grape. As the beer warms, I get some apple-like flavors. Some sniffs it reminds me of apple juice, others it reminds me of the tiny dehydrated apple chunks that you find in apple-cinnamon flavor Quaker oatmeal. There's a also strong, sour-mash malt flavor going on with warmth that I don't find particularly appealing. Having no experience with the style, I have to hazard a guess that this is only very slightly above average, if even that. It has some complexity, even if I don't much care for it. I'm going back to type that some of the complexity gets washed out as the beer warms. The malts take over some of the pleasant white grape.

I'll tell you right up front that I don't really like the taste of this beer. It has a malt component that reminds me of Colt 45, of straight-up malt liquor. It's pungent booze-and-apples. Take some malt liquor and toss in some noble hops and ferment it in such a way so as to get some band-aid phenols going, and you have this beer. This is too boozy for my enjoyment. And not really complex or unique, despite the price point. It's blunt fruit and alcohol heat. Whoopee.

Not as prickly with carbonation as I expected a methode champnoise made beer to be. It's pretty thick, actually, which befits the malt flavors, I suppose. It reminds me of the mouthfeel in Dr. Pepper -- it thickens up and becomes very sudsy in the mouth. This isn't a drinkable beer by any standard, really. You taste and feel every bit of its 10.3% ABV, it is blunt and unsatisfactory to my palate. And if you want to factor in price, well, this beer becomes a hideous affront to value.

It was worth trying this, I suppose. But I would not recommend that people trade for this, or even buy it unless you're splitting it with someone (as I am with FernMaster right now). Count this my first beer disappointment of 2011.

Reaper16, Jan 03, 2011

Is it a beer?
Is it champagne?

While crisp and fruity our taste buds were confused! 1000 years of experience and 2 years in the making and this is the best you could do? I guess purity laws are no guarantee of great taste. A waste of Noble hops. Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a superior brew.

I am now sorry we bought 2 bottles. This is very expensive for a lousy beer/champagne.
To Infinium and beyond!

thebonedaddy, Jan 03, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Infinium | 750 ml. | 10.3% ABV | 2010 vintage

Brewer: Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut
Glass: Champagne flute

"It pours a crystal-clear bronze, with a small snowy cap. The nose is full of candied peaches and apricots drenched in champagne. The first sip registers the alcohol-soaked tropical fruits, and from there it segues into a resplendent candi-sugar finale. Effervescent mouthfeel. It has some nice moments but lacks the requisite complexity."
-RA

Appearance:
Clean and clear; somewhere between bronze and peach.

Aroma:
Peaches, candi sugar, fruit cake

Taste:
Very sweet but straightforward. Candi sugar and alcohol-drenched tropical fruits are the main players. There's a malty backdrop, but it's nothing special.

Mouthfeel:
Light, bubbly and a little foamy. Carbonation is underplayed.

Harmony:
Simple but not unattractive. Unfortunately, I was expecting more.

Would I get it again?:

Bottled: It doesn't say
Served: 01.02.2011

Price = $19.99 at Whole Foods

BeerNemesis, Jan 03, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance- Body is a clear, effervescent medium amber color with light hints of gold/orange when held up to the light. .The head is white, foamy and almost 3 fingers thick, with some decent head retention. Not a whole lot of lacing.

Smell- Light notes of golden fruit sweetness and breadiness. Good maltiness and malt sweetness come through the nose. Smells like a fine Belgian trippel.

Taste- Not nearly as sweet as it smells. A solid maltiness with lots of melanoidins. What sweetness there is is quite nice, with elements of white grapes and yellow apples. Very little in the way of hops o bitterness. Hints of spicyness as it warms.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and a lotsl of carbonation. It continues to effervesce for quite a long time. Very lively on the tongue, it almost dances.

Drinkability- Quite nice, but there is no way this stuff is worth 20 bucks a bottle.

theopholis, Jan 03, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -38.7%

Like many, consumed when the ball dropped on New Year's Eve.

A = Medium orange in color, with massive amounts of carbonation. Big white bubbly, frothy head adorns with bits of lacing.

S = Sweet, malty, earthy, astringent, herbal, slight citrus, medicinal.

T = Cloying sweetness, with some stale orange notes, slightly tart, with stale herbal hop medicine.

M = Medium in body, too creamy, lacked the feel of all that carbonation that seemed present on the pour. I'm not a champagne drinker, but I know there's an effervescent quality, and none of that was there. Carbonated syrup.

D = The sweetness was cloying, neither the taste nor aroma really melded, and I just couldn't finish my glass. I couldn't drink it again.

I love Sam Adams, but this was awful.

EgadBananas, Jan 02, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +26.3%

Thanks to Skip for sending the bottle. I was really looking forward to trying this ambitious beer and was surprised to see the highly mixed reviews to date.

Served at 45F into a champagne flute. Pours deep golden and clear with a huge champagne head that dissipates quickly.

Mild aroma of fruit amd malt.

Clean malt/toffee taste with mild cherry notes. The 10.3% alcohol was well hidden.

Champagne like mouthfeel, despite rapidly dissipating carbonation, with a clean dry finish.

The bottle was split three ways and I was left wanting more.

This experiment may be only a partial success, but kudos to Boston Beer Comapany and Weihenstephan for producing a truly innovative beer.

dandeibler, Jan 02, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +17.6%

I bought a bottle in Berlin brewed by Weihestephaner. I did get two champagne-like glasses with it.

The beer pours a golden body with clear white head that quickly disolves. It smells very beery with strong emphasis on malt notes.

However, once you take you first sip you will experience something completely different.
I tasted some pleasent sourness up front together with fruit aromas (maybe some apple?). The finish brings out a clean, dry and straight forward malt character. Given the high amount of alcohol (10%) you do not taste any of it, which is pleasent.

Do not expect it to taste like your everyday beer or to be full of crazy hop aromas. This beer tastes very much like a good sparkling wine.
Interstingly all of this achieved while still following the strict rules of the Reinheitsgebot (only water, malt, hops and yeast allowed as ingridients). It is good to see how these boundaries can be pushed to the limit.

Would I recommend it? Certainly to someone who likes champange or is open-minded enough for something completely unique in the beer world. It is not for people who love imperialized beer and big brews.

hotzenklotz, Jan 02, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -31.9%

Beautiful 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a hazy gold, with a couple of fingers of off-white head that recedes quickly to a thin cap. Nice lacing.

S - Strange aromas - a mix of wheat, dark sugar, and something that reminds me of vegetable soup. Nothing like I'd expected, and not very pleasant.

T - More of the same. Heavy elements of grain and maybe corn. A slight sweetness around the edges. The only thing saving it is the very short dry finish. But it also has a dark aftertaste that is almost as bad.

M - Great carbonation, but not as light as some bubbly that I've had.

D - The flavors coupled with the high abv make this a certain one-and-done. Not a drain-pour, but I'm struggling to finish the (large) bottle.

O - Factoring in the price, this is certainly a disappointment, as others have noted. The presentation is very nice, but the beer doesn't live up to it.

djmichaelk, Jan 02, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +18.6%

I was surprised to see so many bad reviews on Infinium. Had it for New Years and liked it a lot. Pours a shiny golden color with lots of fizzy bubbles, champagne like. Smelled fruity, pears, peaches maybe. Tasted like I expected and that wasn't bad, fruity and fizzy, great for toasting, had little hops and little alcohol which was surprising considering its ABV. Mouthfeel was dry and pleasant, flavors did not linger. Drinkability may be limited, this was a solid toasting beer.

gskitt, Jan 02, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

A friend of mine popped this open New Years Eve at our favorite watering hole.

I wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed when that was delivered.

Had a decent appearance, very buubbly. Smelled sweet, tasted sweet, no hops and there was something in the background that was very off-putting. The mouthfeel was appropriate.

The bottle looks cool though.

ZX6Chris, Jan 02, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +3.7%

First beer of 2011. As a novel alternative to champagne, this is not bad: it's a happy, bubbly, belch-inducing brew with a lemony-golden color similar to that found in Weihenstephan's lager (a family favorite at my house). The finish is dry; the body is light; the hop presence is low; it's fun to drink. The bottle weighs a ton and would make a handy, well-decorated weapon. The taste is a bit fruity, with cantaloupes and pineapples dominating. As a beer, it's a novelty. Not sure I'd buy a bottle, but if you handed me a glass I'd certainly drink it and ask for another.

gfreed, Jan 02, 2011
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)