Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

From 12/31/10 notes. Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this one; thanks Nate.

a - Pours a clear golden/amber color with one inch of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident. Looks great, what I imagine they were aiming for.

s - Smells of bready malts, biscuit malts, butter, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, grain, bready malts, and butter again. Little bit of sweetness but not as much as the smell.

m - Light body and high carbonation, like champagne. Crisp, dry body.

d - A decent beer, but ultimately disappointing. I know a lot of people have been bashing this beer lately, but it really is a below average beer. Not the worst, but I found the smell and taste bready and buttery, and below average. Glad I got to try it, but certainly not worth the $20 price tag in my opinion. Wouldn't look to get again.

mdfb79, Jan 02, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +32%

Just as we were finishing dinner with both sets of parents on New Years Day dinner I brought out this interesting bottle that everyone thinks is champagne, of course it is not. After a long battle with the cork, it took forever to get this out!!!

A: Pours a golden hue with a big frothy head just like champagne and also is bubbly like champagne. We all are very excited to try it but don't want to rush this experience. Looks amazing.

S: Sweet and tartness is what I am getting here with a light fruitiness. Even though there is such a high alcohol content here, 10.3 I think, you can not smell the alcohol.

T: Well, I got a very sweet and fruity taste and really enjoyed this. No lingering aftertaste and was very surprised how well this tasted, in fact wish this was our New Year's Eve bottle instead of the champagne we had.

M: Dry finish with a very light carbonation feel in the mouth. This is not your every day beer.

D: For the price, it is better than the champagnes out there at this level and a great taste. I would not want more than the two glasses that I did have, but can't wait to open my 2nd bottle!!! Great drink with a higher ABV and impressed with only using 4 main ingredients to get this taste.

I have read some of the reviews, you have to remember as Sam Adams stated, this is a beer to toast with and not a session beer.

bloomlax33, Jan 02, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -23%

Wow, what a let down celebrating new year. I didn't expect a great beer, but at least something drinkable. Thankfully I had other beers for back up duty.
Pours a faded golden color with a massive, big, fluffy white head. Has promise to be crisp or carbonated, just what I was looking for.

Aroma is faded a bit it seems. Dried apricot, white grapes, sweetened caramel and some green grass.

Uh, taste falls flat on its face. Super sweet caramel, musky grass, stale or severely overripe pear. Blah.

No carbonation whatsoever belying the foam from the pour. Flat and slick. Boozy. Nobody liked it...poured half the bottle out--kept the bottle.

Mebuzzard, Jan 02, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Just as dinner was ending out comes this beautiful bottle that everyone think is champagne, to their surprise and my delight it is not.

A: Pours an awesome orange/golden hue, big frothy head just like champagne and very bubbly, I am very excited to try it but take my time enjoying the hard work and time which went into this creation.(The first pour overflows the Champagne Flutes)

S: Sweet and malty punch the nose hard,light fruitiness comes slowly but sweet like pears or apples.Surprisingly no alchohol esters or even hint of what a high ABV are hidden within.

T: Sweet and fruity, not like some of the darker fruit tastes but almost like a nectar of apricot or peach but I do get a hint of some dark cherry in there hidden deep within. Something a bit off is there also but cant tell what it is but it seems out of place...?

M: Dry finish and light body, make a nice combo along with a slightly warming finish. Nicely carbed but as far as regular beer is concerned over carbed because of this highly carbed state it forces a new aroma as you enjoy it.

D: A bit high in the price but a most fine example of what can be achieved with minimal ingredients(Reinheitsgebot), easy to forget about the 10% ABV but overall a great product from both world masters Sam Adams and Weihenstephan very much a masterpiece.Sadly I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped Taste=$$$ off a bit

nukem5, Jan 02, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Judging by the number of reviews posted for Infinium over the last 24 hours (~40 or so), I think I can safely say that I am not the only BA who thought of popping the cork on this beer for New Year's Eve. I actually didn't pop the cork. In fact I could barely get it out. After many tries and ultimately resorting to a corkscrew I managed to break the cork in two. More trouble ensued when I tried to extract the bottom half of the cork. I did manage to get most of it out and chip the rim of the bottle in process. I have never had so much trouble with a cork of any kind.

The beer that finally poured from the bottle was a dark yellow color with a big cap of white foam. Quite effervescent, similar to champagne. Tart apple and pear rise from the aroma. The body is heavier than expected, but still bubbly. The flavors center on fruity sweetness. There is some graininess and a dash of spice and pepper from the alcohol. Drinkable considering the ABV. Unique.

BeardedBoffin, Jan 01, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle shared by drabmuh on New Year's Eve. Thanks Matt! If we must drink champagne, it may as well be a bière de champagne.

A: This celebratory ale appears hazy and yellowish orange in color. The beer has plenty of carbonation, and an inch of fluffy, white head that leaves a good amount of lacing behind.

S: Malt, spices, Belgian yeast, citrus, alcohol.

T: A good tasting beer, with some nice attributes. The citrus component is rather tasty and the Belgian yeast character adds some depth and complexity. On the downside, the beer is just too sweet, and becomes cloying after more than a few ounces.

M: Medium/thick in body, with a present sweetness and warming alcohol in the finish.

D: An OK beer, but at $20+ per bottle, I don't see any more Samuel Adams Infinium in my future.

Huhzubendah, Jan 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +17.4%

100th Review. Drank on New Years Eve 2010.

Poured this into a snifter. Really was impressed by how ridiculous this beer looks. First off, the cork shot out so fast it could have done damage. I was impressed. The head of this beer was so thick I literally had to spoon it out. It was a nice head but the body of the beer resembled that of a domestic craft beer.

Smelled very bready and sweet. Not sure what was going on but not what I expected.

Tastes very sweet. This is where the beer threw me off. Considering it was labeled as a champagne beer I expect dryness and bitter flavors but this was a little fruity and the yeast was sweet. More like a sweet white wine than champagne.

Mouthfeel is a little weird, it's sort of just a mash up of this beer with some bubbly that tickles your mouth.

This beer is incredibly drinkable. The 10.3% alcohol was unnoticeable. I was feeling it later but goddam was this smooth. I am never going to buy this again but it was worth the experience to have tried but price was too high. Its just a nice beer to have on a special occasion and it really is pretty much unlike any beer I have had.

beerhan, Jan 01, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml bottle

A - Served in flute. Amber body with golden highlights. Large, bubbly off white head.

S - Buttery toffee and butterscotch.

T - Caramel and toffee malt dominate this beer.

M - Medium with generous carbonation.

D - Wasn't sure what to expect but it wasn't this. I expected more of a funky taste.

buschbeer, Jan 01, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -35.4%

This has to be one of the most disappointing beers of all time.

Poured a clear amber. Bubbly - no question about it.

Nose was much fruiter & maltier than expected.

Taste: When you drop $20 on on a corked & caged .750 that's marketed as champagne-like, then pop the cork at 12:01 AM on Jan 1, you expect a dry, bubbly, geueze-like experience. This was malty - a little caramely, with an unpleasant presence of diacytal.

Mouthfeel was not objectionable

But drinkability suffered so badly due to the taste that my son & I LEFT half the $20 beer in the bottle and moved on to a De Ranke XX Bitter. I had already suffered my wife's complaint that I spent $20 on a beer, then to not even be able to finish it!

BeerDoggler, Jan 01, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

Cracked open on New Years morning :-).

Pours a weak orange gold. Frothy towering head that dissipates quickly. Active carbonation.

Nose is very champagne like. Grape and a fair amount of yeast. Earthy malt tones too.

Taste and texture is very champagne. Slightly syrupy, lots of grape. Not bad and I guess they hit the mark they were aiming for, just not sure it was a great idea.

2nd glass did me in.

beer2day, Jan 01, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Cracked this open on New Year's eve. Seemed like an appropriate time for a champagne-like beer.
Pours a golden color with TONS of foam. Not a whole lot of lacing going on, but there's an abundance of carbonation that never fades. The foaminess is definitely more champagne-like than beer, which is what they were shooting for I think. Looks like I expected more or less.
The nose is kind of mild for all of the carbonation. Smells pretty much like a blonde ale, although an occasional funkiness (not in a good way) creeps in.
The flavors are solid, but nothing earth shattering. Starts off with a pretty distinct pale malt and green apple note and fades to a sugary sweetness with just a hint of hops. Subsequent tastes give me the same thing. The apple note gives it a little sour character that makes this beer remind me a little of a Belgian golden ale without the yeast character.
The carbonation makes drinking this a little bit of a chore beyond the first few sips and I found it to be really bloating. We split a bottle, but it took quite a while and at the end was a little bit of a chore.
Not really good or bad. After reading about the process for creating the beer I respect what they were trying to do, but the finished product really didn't work as well as I'd have hoped. Plus, at $19 per bottle I don't think I'll ever be picking it up again.

Domingo, Jan 01, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

I poured this 750 ml bottle into a tall wine glass.

A: champagne-like, tall, bubbly head, clear, brownish-gold color, good cap & lacing.

S: very bock-like, sweet malt, Germanic yeast funk, floral hop note.

T: like a fusion between bock and champagne: bread, yeast, light citrus note, floral note.

M: medium-body, silky, abundant carbonation.

D: everyone who shared this with me really enjoyed this beer, and so did I. Well done.

Erish, Jan 01, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

poured into a few pilsner glasses on new years - very aggressive carbonation roils and boils in these glasses putting up a huge head on top of straw colored liquid - like champagne, but with incredible head retention - a nose of fruity esters - apple/pear/banana - following thru in the taste - yes, it's like beer meets champagne - can't taste 10% abv - a little heavy on the tongue yet crisp due to the fizzy carbonation - it's ok and I'm glad to have tried it - interesting...

JoeBloe, Jan 01, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance - Poured into a champagne flute. It pours a nice amberish, golden color with a big thick cream colored head that recedes quickly. The bubbles make it a little effervescent.

Smell - Fruity, mostly apples and a little citrus. There's some sort of vinegary sour smell, but I can't put my finger on it. Not a bad smell. Malt and some citrusy hops notes as well. Nothing spectacular.

Taste - Quite malty up front--hops are present but take a backseat to the malt. Pretty well balanced, however. Reminds me of a barleywine. There's a bit of sour orange on the finish that stays with you. Not as refreshing as I expected and it's not as light as advertised. Certainly not as light as a champagne. There's very little hint of alcohol--you wouldn't know it is 10.3 abv.

Drinkability - Not as drinkable as a champagne and much heavier than I expected. Not a terrible experience, but certainly not a beer I will seek out frequently.

Mouthfeel - A little chewy, some kind of nuttiness that stays with you.

orangedive, Jan 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an oversized pilsner glass.

This beer looks great. It's extremely carbonated and pours with a huge head, at least 8 fingers worth. The head retains and laces fairly well. The smell is also very good, it's very fruity with just a hint of esters from the alcohol. The taste is also quite good, it's a very fruity taste at first, with then some hops that follow, and some smooth malts and alcohol.

The mouthfeel is spot-on for what they were trying to achieve, it's very smooth and very carbonated. The drinkability is also quite good, especially for the ABV. I really enjoyed the bottle of Infinium I had. Is it worth the price? Probably not. But it's still a great beer that I'm glad I had.

shand, Jan 01, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance: Infinium pours a light straw color with a couple fingers of egg shell-white head. Retention is very nice as this beer has a ridiculous amount of carbonation, as advertised. Lacing is fine and abundant.

Smell: Very biscuity and bready, with some citrus and minor hop notes on the back end. Reasonable but not outstanding by any measure. Edit: the more I sit and take my time on this beer, the more diacetyl/butter I get. Really not appealing at all.

Taste: Bready malts show up first in this beer. Next comes light citrus and fruity notes (pear, pale apple). Again, some minor hop notes on the back end. I do get a bit of diacetyl in there too, but not too strong. Edit: the diacetyl gets MUCH stronger as the beer warms. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Body was very light with high carbonation, obviously. Overall this is an okay beer from Boston Beer/Weihenstephaner. Not something so seek out (or buy for the price), but decent nonetheless.

zhanson88, Jan 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

A-Pours a pear juice colored yellow with fine bubbles and three fingers of white head.

S-Big notes of butterscotch with some light pilsener malt and a bit of grassy hops.

T-Follows the nose with butterscoth, green apples, and a light bitterness on the finish.

M-Rich and luxurious malty, mouthfeel that is balanced by the fine champagne-like carbonation with a buttery feel.

D-Not bad considering the incredible amount of maltiness considering they only used base malt. A very interesting beer.

samie85, Jan 01, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +11.8%

750 mL corked, caged, and foiled bottle, cracked at 11:59:59 on 12/31/2010 ... about as close as I could get to cracking champagne on NYE. Poured in to several champagne glasses for friends, family, and my significant other, with the remainder poured in to a tulip for yours truly to review.

Appearance: Pours a dark orangey amber copper, sort of that color that you'd expect to get out of a mediocre IPA or a solid DIPA. This one's capped by two fingers of foamy, fizzy white head, the impact of which is muted somewhat by the number of glasses I've spread it across - I've no doubt (given the carbonation) that the head on this mama would have been fierce had she been poured all in one glass.

Aroma: Very tropical fruit-ty on the nose, with tons of pineapple (oh my lord! what pineapple.), mango, and honey notes that mingle with heavier malt notes - crackery, simply sweet all the way - and booze. It's a little hot, though interesting and even mildly nuanced at points in its fruity approach.

Taste: Simply sweet malts, syrupy, honey-like, with lots of raw, free, unattenuated sugars, mingling with cane-sugar drenched tropical fruits - pineapple, orange juice, a slew of tart, tropical fruity notes. It's definitely intense, slightly syrupy, a little cane sugar like, as if someone ransacked a canned food drink, popped every can of fruit half full, and drained the syrup in to a central repository and fluffed it up a little. It's a little too fruity at points, and a little too sweet all around, to be sure, with hints of overy buttery-ness too. A very Belgian tripel-esque note around the edges suggests green fruits and cloves.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy, bright, and amazingly crisp, but in a thick, syrupy, sticky body. Sort of a wash between the two, and it does manage to be remarkably soft, smooth, velvety, so I'm gonna have to say ... pretty good show for the style.

Drinkability: All over the board here. Yeah, this one's a little bit of a hot mess. Some ups, some downs, but on the whole, I think there's a reason the German purity law (yeah, yeah, I'm not gonna try and spell it out here) lasted as long as it did unperturbed - it never produced a beer that had this many off funky off flavors, fruity overtones, and boozy heat notes. Keep 'em more subdued than this, please.

CrellMoset, Jan 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +17.4%

My first beer and first review of the second decade of the 21st century.

750-ml corked-and-caged bottle poured into a pilsner flute.

The pop of the cork is like that of the fireworks exploding in the night outside my window. Deep golden in color, it's reminiscent of an all-malt lager, perhaps a good Pils. The thick white head crackles loudly, echoing the bursting firecrackers, and fades away almost as quickly. A constant stream of fine bubbles is--aside from the bottle--the only part of the beer's appearance that harkens back to Champagne. Bubbly isn't known for its head retention, after all. The head settles to a thick cap that leaves behind some thick, patchy lacing as the glass drains away.

Aroma is quite fruity, displaying notes of the vine similar to those of Champagne or Prosecco; a particular Prosecco/Chardonnay blend comes to mind. Notes of grape, apricot and lemon zest are apparent, with a slight herbal quality and a faint hint of must. Very intriguing.

A rather full body is lightened mightily by the bright effervescence, making it feel much softer than it is. Sweet, honeyed malt notes combine up front with ripe stone fruit to set the stage. As things play out, a tart, fruity acidity takes hold, encompassing the palate with notes of sour grape, orange, earth and hay. A distinct pale malt sweetness shows up mid-palate, and faintly herbaceous hops provide a faint backdrop before combining them all near the end, leading to a finish that is long and medium-dry with lingering notes of honey, must, wet earth and tart green grape.

This is certainly one difficult brew to place. Boston Beer Company and Weihenstephan have certainly created something noteworthy, but as it stands, this brew is not something inherently drinkable; it is best consumed in somewhat smaller doses, perhaps similar to Champagne, but when consumed thusly it can seem cloying at times yet quenching at others. Alcohol is a bit warming at points, but is otherwise nearly invisible, so at over 10% it's best to play it safe as far as quantity goes.

Innovative? Yes. Mind-blowing? No. An entirely new beer style? Debatable. Regardless, this one should stand up to aging just as any fine Champagne, so save it for special times, and be sure to share it with friends.

superdedooperboy, Jan 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

Wow. My first beer in 2011 was the Infinium. Popped the cork on the bottle shortly before midnight, poured into a champagne glass.

Poured golden in color with a nice foamy head. Real bubbly, champange like. Didn't leave much lacing on the side of the glass, and the foamy head disappates kinda quickly.

It has a real nice beer aroma, and dry champange finish. This is a beer for special occasions and I'm glad I saved it for NYE. I have no idea why I hesitaded picking it up. It's definately not an everyday beer or an all night drinking beer, but to celebrate something special works great. It has a nice fruity aftertaste.

WhistlingBird, Jan 01, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance- a muted amber appearNce with a lot of foamy head

Smell - hops on the nose with a lot of malt. Smells like a strong malt liquor

Taste - malts malts and more malts. A bit of hops in the background with some light fruit flavours.

Mouthfeel/drinkability- fairly drinkable but not very good. Overall I'm very disapooointed.

Urbancaver, Jan 01, 2011

appearance: golden amberish with a huge head

smell: not much, some nutty aromas. pilsner malt

taste: apples, caramel, buttery, fruity. lots of flavors and way more malt backbone than expected.

mouthfeel: medium bodied, more than expected.

drinkability: serious hype and it was actually a decent beer and being way more complex than expected.

CampusCrew, Jan 01, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

A - poured into a tulip right around midnight. Golden hue, transparent, like a standard (not lite) lager basically. Definitely well carbonated, based on the strong cork pop and ongoing fizz 1/2hr later, but head is only moderate. Great retention & sticky lacing though.

S - sweet grapes, green apple, a yeasty character I can't quite place -- not outright funky, more like an abbey dubbel

T - moderately sweet light malts, from start to finish. Pleasant, but not much else going on save a whiff of ethanol.

M - fizzy yet smooth-sipping, which is a kinda unusual (but welcome) combo. Could use more body though, despite light character, considering it's over 10%.

D - pretty easy to drink, has some nice qualities...but overall, not really digging it.

Richardberg, Jan 01, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into an oversized flute.

A: golden copper with TONS of white head. Tiny bubbles, good retention, strong lacing.

S: sweeter than I expected. Phenols, malt, a touch of fruit. Nice, but not great.

T: again, sweeter than expected at the start. Some spice and booze as we move forward but really nothing super interesting here. Finishes dry.

M: surprisingly creamy after the head dwindles. Much of the carbonation left with the pour, but a fair amount remains to remind you this isn't your everyday brew.

D: not tough to drink, but one glass is plenty for me. Interesting way to bring in the new year, even though I'm not in love with the style. I'll give the Malheur a shot before writing it off entirely though.

brystmar, Jan 01, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours clear bubbly amber gold with bye fluffy white head. Good retention and decent lacing.

Aroma is super sweet with some flowers and honey. Sweet yeast as well.

Again, very sweet taste with heavy syrup, caramel, and sugar.

Mouhfeel is heavy and syrupy with lively carbonation.

Not all that impressive as it's way too sweet and not drinkable.

gford217, Jan 01, 2011
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)