Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +34.7%

A: Bright copper, bubbly pour with a dense, pillowy white head.

S: Vinous, fruity, clean malt aroma. Bready. Slightly floral delicate hop nose.

T: Biscuity malt, slightly fruity, nice hop flavor. good level of hop bitterness to the finish which was refreshing and dry. Very champagne-like.

M: Bubbly, medium full mouthfeel.

D: Very tasty. A nice balance between malt and hops. The alcohol content was well-hidden--no heat or solventy notes. I enjoyed it, though I don't know if I'd add it to my cellar collection.

Ambiorix, Jan 02, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -40.2%

Picked this up for a Midnight toast on NYE. I was surprised when I found a bottle at the local Hannafords in Keene, NH last week.

It looked fine, very bubbly, a nice golden color. The aroma was really fruity and sweet, much more than I had anticipated. The taste was a let down to say the least. Of the four people who tried it, I was the only one who had more than one sip, and I only did because I felt like I had to after spending 20.00 on the bottle. I was expecting more of a beer taste than the really sweet, fruity champagne taste I had instead. To me the taste was all fruit and sweetness and nothing to balance against it. There was some malt aftertaste, but not enough. I ended up saving the bottle, but pouring the rest out.

This is my first review and I wanted it to be a positive one, but hopefully that will be the next one...I have a 12 pack of the Peak Organic sampler just waiting to be enjoyed!

jimbutlermusic, Jan 02, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -17%

Like many others had this "champagne" style beer on New Years Eve. I Was very much looking forward to this Weihenstephaner
and Sam Adams crossover brew. Sadly though I was very disappointed in this $20 bottle done by two big name breweries.

vener812, Jan 02, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured the big old funky looking 750 ml bottle into a Pilsner Urquell Flute on January 1, 2011. I'll quickly note that my bottle had a sticker slapped on the bottom to denote that some of this beer was brewed in Hammandsport NY. First pour at roughly cellar temp ~55

The beer looks great. Really bright golden with near perfect clarity and a dense thick head and big foamy bubbles couple of inches thick, stark white, effervescent with fairly large bubbles of carbonation and signs of lacing.

Aroma should hints of pear, bazooka bubble gum, hard candy like jolly ranchers. Some orange and floral alcohol hit the nose a lot.

It all goes south in the mouth. This beer has a horribly harsh alcohol ester flavor, not really fusel to say, but really tangy and bubble gum like a cheap wine. Nearly impossible to get past that flavor I tried a good three gulps and that is all I got. First glass, drain pour, let bottle refrigerate a while. Came back poured again, beer still has the same nice look, virtually the same aroma but a touch more crisp malt note. Flavor is still an unappealing heavy twang of funky ester laden alcohol.

The mouthfeel for this beer is just all wrong, for a pale high alcohol beer it is thick medium to near full bodied with a lingering cloying feel. It should come off dry and crisp and it feels like an under attenuated mistake that is hard to return to you palate.

Not drinkable at all. For two breweries that I have a lot of respect for (Vitus is one of my favorite go to beers and Sam Adams makes really good beers and effort in most instances in my opinion - example I thought that their Barrel Series Tripel was outstanding, if not lacking the barrel character) this beer is really an utter disappointment. At $20 a bottle, it was a total rip off and one of only a few drain pours I can lay claim to. It was impossible to drink.

PBoegel, Jan 02, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +17%

This was a great way to start the new year!!!

A: poured into a tulip. A champagne hue with an excellent head, leaving a sweet lace the whole way down the tulip.

S: sweet.

T: light malts and yeast. Hint of alcohol...

M: Loud!!! Very carbonated, reminiscent of a Brut

D: Easy to drink. Excellent collaboration.

mvmalesci, Jan 02, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -3.1%

pours a golden honey hue with an immense cream-colored head that fades incredibly slowly... intense fine carbonation keeps the head going and leaves some pretty stellar lacing.

aroma is yeasty, doughy, bready. reminds me of sourdough starter mixed with hay. raisins, toffee, nougat. more yeast... earthy and bready.

taste is doughy and intense. a hint of booze... didn't want to believe it, but I'm getting that malt liquor flavor. intense sweet boozy malt. reminds me of Carlsberg Elephant... which is alright out of a big can. but not sure about this. Earthy malt with some toffee. almost english barleywine.

mouth is oddly sticky and gummy despite the ample carbonation. Not quite as light and smooth as other biere de champagnes I've had. not horrible, but not quite what I'd expect for the style.

all in all, I really wanted this one to be awesome. and even approaching it expecting little, I can't say I'm thrilled. Glad I tried it, and certainly interesting, but the flavors and mouth just don't quiet jive for me.

djeucalyptus, Jan 02, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

GLASS: Flute
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BEST BEFORE: July 2011

It's very pretty in the glass. It has a medium amber color to it with light hints of golden orange and a touch of burnt sienna. A medium pour produces a head that is almost three-fingers thick. It is bone-white and very fluffy. It surprises me by hanging around for a few minutes. It recedes to a 1/16" surface covering film and leaves some nice, thick, strands of lacing.

Light notes of golden fruit sweetness. Very good presence of maltiness. A good deal of yeast and a slight trace of hops. It is somewhat reminiscent of a high-octane tripel.

Loads of pale and medium malt notes are all over this thing. Not really what I had prepared for. Very much towards the sweet side of the spectrum. Big hints of white grapes and 'golden delicious' apple flesh. No real hop bite or bitterness, but it does manage to finish quite dry. The malty sweetness and some spiciness come through right at the end as well, and manage to linger for a little while.
(If this were a champagne, it would be a spumante.)

This has a medium body and a high level of carbonation. It's filled with tons of tiny champagne bubbles. This help it stay lively, active and crisp, on your tongue. No real sense of creaminess, which I was somewhat expecting.

It's fairly easy-to-drink, yet too sweet to really want to. The bonus here is that for a 10.30%abv beer, it certainly doesn't show it. But you sure do feel it, effects-wise. It just sneaks up and slams you.
Very glad to have had the chance to try this one. It's not what I'd hoped for from such a collaboration, but it's not horrible, either. I'm already hoping that if they collaborate again (next year?), they make a different beer than this one. I'd buy a bottle again, if it's the same, but I'd rather that it was different.

coldmeat23, Jan 02, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -18.6%

From 12/31/10 notes. Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this one; thanks Nate.

a - Pours a clear golden/amber color with one inch of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident. Looks great, what I imagine they were aiming for.

s - Smells of bready malts, biscuit malts, butter, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, grain, bready malts, and butter again. Little bit of sweetness but not as much as the smell.

m - Light body and high carbonation, like champagne. Crisp, dry body.

d - A decent beer, but ultimately disappointing. I know a lot of people have been bashing this beer lately, but it really is a below average beer. Not the worst, but I found the smell and taste bready and buttery, and below average. Glad I got to try it, but certainly not worth the $20 price tag in my opinion. Wouldn't look to get again.

mdfb79, Jan 02, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

Just as we were finishing dinner with both sets of parents on New Years Day dinner I brought out this interesting bottle that everyone thinks is champagne, of course it is not. After a long battle with the cork, it took forever to get this out!!!

A: Pours a golden hue with a big frothy head just like champagne and also is bubbly like champagne. We all are very excited to try it but don't want to rush this experience. Looks amazing.

S: Sweet and tartness is what I am getting here with a light fruitiness. Even though there is such a high alcohol content here, 10.3 I think, you can not smell the alcohol.

T: Well, I got a very sweet and fruity taste and really enjoyed this. No lingering aftertaste and was very surprised how well this tasted, in fact wish this was our New Year's Eve bottle instead of the champagne we had.

M: Dry finish with a very light carbonation feel in the mouth. This is not your every day beer.

D: For the price, it is better than the champagnes out there at this level and a great taste. I would not want more than the two glasses that I did have, but can't wait to open my 2nd bottle!!! Great drink with a higher ABV and impressed with only using 4 main ingredients to get this taste.

I have read some of the reviews, you have to remember as Sam Adams stated, this is a beer to toast with and not a session beer.

bloomlax33, Jan 02, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

Wow, what a let down celebrating new year. I didn't expect a great beer, but at least something drinkable. Thankfully I had other beers for back up duty.
Pours a faded golden color with a massive, big, fluffy white head. Has promise to be crisp or carbonated, just what I was looking for.

Aroma is faded a bit it seems. Dried apricot, white grapes, sweetened caramel and some green grass.

Uh, taste falls flat on its face. Super sweet caramel, musky grass, stale or severely overripe pear. Blah.

No carbonation whatsoever belying the foam from the pour. Flat and slick. Boozy. Nobody liked it...poured half the bottle out--kept the bottle.

Mebuzzard, Jan 02, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Just as dinner was ending out comes this beautiful bottle that everyone think is champagne, to their surprise and my delight it is not.

A: Pours an awesome orange/golden hue, big frothy head just like champagne and very bubbly, I am very excited to try it but take my time enjoying the hard work and time which went into this creation.(The first pour overflows the Champagne Flutes)

S: Sweet and malty punch the nose hard,light fruitiness comes slowly but sweet like pears or apples.Surprisingly no alchohol esters or even hint of what a high ABV are hidden within.

T: Sweet and fruity, not like some of the darker fruit tastes but almost like a nectar of apricot or peach but I do get a hint of some dark cherry in there hidden deep within. Something a bit off is there also but cant tell what it is but it seems out of place...?

M: Dry finish and light body, make a nice combo along with a slightly warming finish. Nicely carbed but as far as regular beer is concerned over carbed because of this highly carbed state it forces a new aroma as you enjoy it.

D: A bit high in the price but a most fine example of what can be achieved with minimal ingredients(Reinheitsgebot), easy to forget about the 10% ABV but overall a great product from both world masters Sam Adams and Weihenstephan very much a masterpiece.Sadly I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped Taste=$$$ off a bit

nukem5, Jan 02, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +10.8%

Judging by the number of reviews posted for Infinium over the last 24 hours (~40 or so), I think I can safely say that I am not the only BA who thought of popping the cork on this beer for New Year's Eve. I actually didn't pop the cork. In fact I could barely get it out. After many tries and ultimately resorting to a corkscrew I managed to break the cork in two. More trouble ensued when I tried to extract the bottom half of the cork. I did manage to get most of it out and chip the rim of the bottle in process. I have never had so much trouble with a cork of any kind.

The beer that finally poured from the bottle was a dark yellow color with a big cap of white foam. Quite effervescent, similar to champagne. Tart apple and pear rise from the aroma. The body is heavier than expected, but still bubbly. The flavors center on fruity sweetness. There is some graininess and a dash of spice and pepper from the alcohol. Drinkable considering the ABV. Unique.

BeardedBoffin, Jan 01, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle shared by drabmuh on New Year's Eve. Thanks Matt! If we must drink champagne, it may as well be a bière de champagne.

A: This celebratory ale appears hazy and yellowish orange in color. The beer has plenty of carbonation, and an inch of fluffy, white head that leaves a good amount of lacing behind.

S: Malt, spices, Belgian yeast, citrus, alcohol.

T: A good tasting beer, with some nice attributes. The citrus component is rather tasty and the Belgian yeast character adds some depth and complexity. On the downside, the beer is just too sweet, and becomes cloying after more than a few ounces.

M: Medium/thick in body, with a present sweetness and warming alcohol in the finish.

D: An OK beer, but at $20+ per bottle, I don't see any more Samuel Adams Infinium in my future.

Huhzubendah, Jan 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +17%

100th Review. Drank on New Years Eve 2010.

Poured this into a snifter. Really was impressed by how ridiculous this beer looks. First off, the cork shot out so fast it could have done damage. I was impressed. The head of this beer was so thick I literally had to spoon it out. It was a nice head but the body of the beer resembled that of a domestic craft beer.

Smelled very bready and sweet. Not sure what was going on but not what I expected.

Tastes very sweet. This is where the beer threw me off. Considering it was labeled as a champagne beer I expect dryness and bitter flavors but this was a little fruity and the yeast was sweet. More like a sweet white wine than champagne.

Mouthfeel is a little weird, it's sort of just a mash up of this beer with some bubbly that tickles your mouth.

This beer is incredibly drinkable. The 10.3% alcohol was unnoticeable. I was feeling it later but goddam was this smooth. I am never going to buy this again but it was worth the experience to have tried but price was too high. Its just a nice beer to have on a special occasion and it really is pretty much unlike any beer I have had.

beerhan, Jan 01, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle

A - Served in flute. Amber body with golden highlights. Large, bubbly off white head.

S - Buttery toffee and butterscotch.

T - Caramel and toffee malt dominate this beer.

M - Medium with generous carbonation.

D - Wasn't sure what to expect but it wasn't this. I expected more of a funky taste.

buschbeer, Jan 01, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -35.6%

This has to be one of the most disappointing beers of all time.

Poured a clear amber. Bubbly - no question about it.

Nose was much fruiter & maltier than expected.

Taste: When you drop $20 on on a corked & caged .750 that's marketed as champagne-like, then pop the cork at 12:01 AM on Jan 1, you expect a dry, bubbly, geueze-like experience. This was malty - a little caramely, with an unpleasant presence of diacytal.

Mouthfeel was not objectionable

But drinkability suffered so badly due to the taste that my son & I LEFT half the $20 beer in the bottle and moved on to a De Ranke XX Bitter. I had already suffered my wife's complaint that I spent $20 on a beer, then to not even be able to finish it!

BeerDoggler, Jan 01, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Cracked open on New Years morning :-).

Pours a weak orange gold. Frothy towering head that dissipates quickly. Active carbonation.

Nose is very champagne like. Grape and a fair amount of yeast. Earthy malt tones too.

Taste and texture is very champagne. Slightly syrupy, lots of grape. Not bad and I guess they hit the mark they were aiming for, just not sure it was a great idea.

2nd glass did me in.

beer2day, Jan 01, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

Cracked this open on New Year's eve. Seemed like an appropriate time for a champagne-like beer.
Pours a golden color with TONS of foam. Not a whole lot of lacing going on, but there's an abundance of carbonation that never fades. The foaminess is definitely more champagne-like than beer, which is what they were shooting for I think. Looks like I expected more or less.
The nose is kind of mild for all of the carbonation. Smells pretty much like a blonde ale, although an occasional funkiness (not in a good way) creeps in.
The flavors are solid, but nothing earth shattering. Starts off with a pretty distinct pale malt and green apple note and fades to a sugary sweetness with just a hint of hops. Subsequent tastes give me the same thing. The apple note gives it a little sour character that makes this beer remind me a little of a Belgian golden ale without the yeast character.
The carbonation makes drinking this a little bit of a chore beyond the first few sips and I found it to be really bloating. We split a bottle, but it took quite a while and at the end was a little bit of a chore.
Not really good or bad. After reading about the process for creating the beer I respect what they were trying to do, but the finished product really didn't work as well as I'd have hoped. Plus, at $19 per bottle I don't think I'll ever be picking it up again.

Domingo, Jan 01, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

I poured this 750 ml bottle into a tall wine glass.

A: champagne-like, tall, bubbly head, clear, brownish-gold color, good cap & lacing.

S: very bock-like, sweet malt, Germanic yeast funk, floral hop note.

T: like a fusion between bock and champagne: bread, yeast, light citrus note, floral note.

M: medium-body, silky, abundant carbonation.

D: everyone who shared this with me really enjoyed this beer, and so did I. Well done.

Erish, Jan 01, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into a few pilsner glasses on new years - very aggressive carbonation roils and boils in these glasses putting up a huge head on top of straw colored liquid - like champagne, but with incredible head retention - a nose of fruity esters - apple/pear/banana - following thru in the taste - yes, it's like beer meets champagne - can't taste 10% abv - a little heavy on the tongue yet crisp due to the fizzy carbonation - it's ok and I'm glad to have tried it - interesting...

JoeBloe, Jan 01, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance - Poured into a champagne flute. It pours a nice amberish, golden color with a big thick cream colored head that recedes quickly. The bubbles make it a little effervescent.

Smell - Fruity, mostly apples and a little citrus. There's some sort of vinegary sour smell, but I can't put my finger on it. Not a bad smell. Malt and some citrusy hops notes as well. Nothing spectacular.

Taste - Quite malty up front--hops are present but take a backseat to the malt. Pretty well balanced, however. Reminds me of a barleywine. There's a bit of sour orange on the finish that stays with you. Not as refreshing as I expected and it's not as light as advertised. Certainly not as light as a champagne. There's very little hint of alcohol--you wouldn't know it is 10.3 abv.

Drinkability - Not as drinkable as a champagne and much heavier than I expected. Not a terrible experience, but certainly not a beer I will seek out frequently.

Mouthfeel - A little chewy, some kind of nuttiness that stays with you.

orangedive, Jan 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an oversized pilsner glass.

This beer looks great. It's extremely carbonated and pours with a huge head, at least 8 fingers worth. The head retains and laces fairly well. The smell is also very good, it's very fruity with just a hint of esters from the alcohol. The taste is also quite good, it's a very fruity taste at first, with then some hops that follow, and some smooth malts and alcohol.

The mouthfeel is spot-on for what they were trying to achieve, it's very smooth and very carbonated. The drinkability is also quite good, especially for the ABV. I really enjoyed the bottle of Infinium I had. Is it worth the price? Probably not. But it's still a great beer that I'm glad I had.

shand, Jan 01, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Infinium pours a light straw color with a couple fingers of egg shell-white head. Retention is very nice as this beer has a ridiculous amount of carbonation, as advertised. Lacing is fine and abundant.

Smell: Very biscuity and bready, with some citrus and minor hop notes on the back end. Reasonable but not outstanding by any measure. Edit: the more I sit and take my time on this beer, the more diacetyl/butter I get. Really not appealing at all.

Taste: Bready malts show up first in this beer. Next comes light citrus and fruity notes (pear, pale apple). Again, some minor hop notes on the back end. I do get a bit of diacetyl in there too, but not too strong. Edit: the diacetyl gets MUCH stronger as the beer warms. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Body was very light with high carbonation, obviously. Overall this is an okay beer from Boston Beer/Weihenstephaner. Not something so seek out (or buy for the price), but decent nonetheless.

zhanson88, Jan 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +15.5%

A-Pours a pear juice colored yellow with fine bubbles and three fingers of white head.

S-Big notes of butterscotch with some light pilsener malt and a bit of grassy hops.

T-Follows the nose with butterscoth, green apples, and a light bitterness on the finish.

M-Rich and luxurious malty, mouthfeel that is balanced by the fine champagne-like carbonation with a buttery feel.

D-Not bad considering the incredible amount of maltiness considering they only used base malt. A very interesting beer.

samie85, Jan 01, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +11.5%

750 mL corked, caged, and foiled bottle, cracked at 11:59:59 on 12/31/2010 ... about as close as I could get to cracking champagne on NYE. Poured in to several champagne glasses for friends, family, and my significant other, with the remainder poured in to a tulip for yours truly to review.

Appearance: Pours a dark orangey amber copper, sort of that color that you'd expect to get out of a mediocre IPA or a solid DIPA. This one's capped by two fingers of foamy, fizzy white head, the impact of which is muted somewhat by the number of glasses I've spread it across - I've no doubt (given the carbonation) that the head on this mama would have been fierce had she been poured all in one glass.

Aroma: Very tropical fruit-ty on the nose, with tons of pineapple (oh my lord! what pineapple.), mango, and honey notes that mingle with heavier malt notes - crackery, simply sweet all the way - and booze. It's a little hot, though interesting and even mildly nuanced at points in its fruity approach.

Taste: Simply sweet malts, syrupy, honey-like, with lots of raw, free, unattenuated sugars, mingling with cane-sugar drenched tropical fruits - pineapple, orange juice, a slew of tart, tropical fruity notes. It's definitely intense, slightly syrupy, a little cane sugar like, as if someone ransacked a canned food drink, popped every can of fruit half full, and drained the syrup in to a central repository and fluffed it up a little. It's a little too fruity at points, and a little too sweet all around, to be sure, with hints of overy buttery-ness too. A very Belgian tripel-esque note around the edges suggests green fruits and cloves.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy, bright, and amazingly crisp, but in a thick, syrupy, sticky body. Sort of a wash between the two, and it does manage to be remarkably soft, smooth, velvety, so I'm gonna have to say ... pretty good show for the style.

Drinkability: All over the board here. Yeah, this one's a little bit of a hot mess. Some ups, some downs, but on the whole, I think there's a reason the German purity law (yeah, yeah, I'm not gonna try and spell it out here) lasted as long as it did unperturbed - it never produced a beer that had this many off funky off flavors, fruity overtones, and boozy heat notes. Keep 'em more subdued than this, please.

CrellMoset, Jan 01, 2011
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)