Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
welldigger888

South Carolina

1.38/5  rDev -57.1%

Ok, so holly cow what a head.Poured into a champagne glass,BIG snow white head with no lacing but nice assortment of bubble sizes though.
Very effervesant brew, gold straw color.
Not much in the nose to make me believe this is beer,wow.Sweet grape type of aroma.
Interesting on the pallate, loads of carbonation with some sweet & tart wine like flavors.Very dry finish.
I could not drink much of this, glad I popped at a party to share.

01-01-2011 04:31:54 | More by welldigger888
SteveO1231

Connecticut

2.13/5  rDev -33.9%

Picked up a bottle for my birthday / New Year celebration. The presentation on this beer is far better than it's contents. Very elegant, black 750ml botte. Laser etched label, foiler wrapper, cork n' cage, info booklet attached with shiny rubber band.

The beer pops with the pressure of a bottle of champagne. Pours a pale golden color, some big white bubble that fizz out quickly.

Aroma is interesting, oaky, grassy, hay bail, wet cardboard.

Full-bodied, highly carbonated brew fizziness tingles the palate and leaves some slickness.

Taste is not very good. Very faint sweetness up front that is washed away quickly by a yeasty mustiness, a lot of oak flavors coming through here, almost tastes infected.

The brew finishes dry with an aftertaste of heartburn.

Really this beer is not very good. I am disappointed I was expecting much more considering the price. As homebrewer, if I brewed this, I would not serve it.

Boom!

01-01-2011 04:21:05 | More by SteveO1231
billab914

2.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Very nice looking packaging for the beer. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware. It poured amber in color with a lot of tiny, streaming bubbles making up an active and fizzy head. The head settled after a minute or so but a steady of stream of bubbles continually rose well into drinking it.

It has a very interesting aroma to it. It has a distinct, sweet candy or caramel like flavor to it that really sticks out. I get a fruity, apple or pear like flavor to it as well. A little of the citrusy and floral flavors come out but the candy caramel flavor is a little overbearing.

The taste starts out with some of the tart and fruity flavors, which are a little sharp right off the bat. It starts to turn very sweet midway with the candied, caramel like flavors taking over. A little bitterness comes towards the finish Some of the tart fruits come back and linger for a bit. The malty, candy, caramel flavor throughout the beer is a little much though.

The mouthfeel is a bit above medium bodied with carbonation being high and sharp. The combination of a heavier mouthfeel and high carbonation also didn't really work that well for me. Had it been lighter I think it could have pulled it off better. The high carbonation fir the style though.

Drinkability isn't that great, it wasn't easy for the two of us to get through the bottle tonight. The dominating caramel, candy, sweet flavor just didn't work well for me. Cool packaging and story but not a beer I'd buy again.

01-01-2011 04:16:42 | More by billab914
jcd2010

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -27%

It's New Year's Eve and I"m drinking Infinium, just like Sam Adams wanted me to. :-)

I poured it into a white wine glass. It comes off a little more golden than a champagne, and looks kind of like a budweiser.

Smells a little fruity.

Tastes like Andre's champagne. Not a fan.

Overall, I"m the type of person who likes to try something new so I"m not upset that I bought it. However, I won't be buying it again.

01-01-2011 02:07:17 | More by jcd2010
JamnesCameron

4.6/5  rDev +42.9%

Poured into a champagne flute.

Pours deep golden with a big, stark white head. Very effervescent, like champagne. Head drops down to about a quarter inch, made up of mostly tiny bubbles. Leaves a little lacing.

Aromas of sweet malt, hard candy, and earthy, slightly citrusy hops. Quince notes.

First sip is of sweet caramelly malt, apricots, with a firm bitterness. Lots of champagne-like qualities, a little bitter edge, mild sweetness. A fine hint of chalkiness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a hint of chewy malt, and a very fine prickle of carbonation. Very much like champagne on the mouthfeel, with a little more body.

Very drinkable. Very nice New Years Eve choice. I will enjoy finishing off this bottle tonight as my last review of the year. I find it very enjoyable.

01-01-2011 01:53:10 | More by JamnesCameron
bcostner1

Tennessee

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

When I found this beer in Nashville, I bought 5 bottles of it. Shared 2 of them with my bro-in-law over Christmas, gave him one of them to take back to TX, and am drinking #4 right now. So, I'm reviewing it after some extensive "experience" with the beer.

A: Poured, as per recommendation, a champagne flute this time. I actually drank some from a Tiffany crystal mug too and I have to say that when it's in the flute, it actually does look like champagne from the color and the way that it bubbles. Well carbonated beer. Maintains a thin white head from the continuous bubbling. As hard as it is for me admit that I'm drinking "beer" from a champagne flute, I'm actually enjoying it more this way. Maybe because it's New Year's Eve(?)

S: Smells sweet, like honey. Mild malt aroma. No detectable hops.

T: Starts out sweet to me. Can definitely detect honey. The middle tastes like white grapes. Aftertaste is definitely malt. Can taste it on my lips too. I like the way it tastes a lot honestly....but I like beers that are more malty, without being too much so, than hoppy so this is right in my wheelhouse. I have seen people compare it to "malt liquor" in forums on here and I think that is unfair and unfortunate because it is definitely many cuts above malt liquor.

M: Light but bubbly. Well carbonated. Nothing about this beer is heavy.

D: Extremely drinkable. Cannot tell that it's 10+% alcohol at all. Very light, non-filling, and smooth. I'd have no problem finishing off a bottle...slowly that I could savor it, but still...it could it be done.

All in all, I have enjoyed Infinium this holiday season. I think I will sit on the last bottle for about 6 months and see how it changes with time but will still likely drink it by the "recommendated date" set forth by SA.

12-31-2010 23:52:20 | More by bcostner1
BEERMILER12

Maine

A: Pours a golden yellow with an amazing 3 finger white head, unfortunately the head does fairly quickly

S: Smells amazingly fruity, with some grassy and citrus hops

T: Pretty much the same as the smell. The alcohol is actually very well hidden behind the fruitiness and carbonation... that is until it has warmed up a little. Once it's not fridge temp, the alcohol is definitely there

M: Fairly light, highly carbonated

D: One of these is good for me, especially considering the price. Not a bad beer at all, in fact much better than some of the reviews I've read. Glad I waited until New Years Eve/New Years to pop it open

12-31-2010 23:44:53 | More by BEERMILER12
bluejacket74

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

750 ml caged and corked bottle. Served in a flute, the beer pours a clear golden color with a couple inch off-white head. Little bubbles continuously move from the bottom of the glass to the top. Head retention is good, with a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is nice, but weak. The brew smells like bready malt, apples, grassy hops and an herbal/floral aroma. It tastes like white grapes, pears, bready malt, grassy hops, a weird bitter flavor (not bitter in a good way) I don't know exactly what it is, and a bit of apples and booze. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and has a dry finish. Drinkability is average. Overall I think it's an OK beer. It's not bad, but I don't think it's too good, either. It was nice to try this beer, but looking back now I certainly could have spent that $20 in better ways.

12-31-2010 23:41:36 | More by bluejacket74
mvanaskie13

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

Picked up a bottle for the holidays, popped it open for new years eve...

POured into a champagne glass, presented with very nice frothy head and a light amber color. Head dissipates, lightly clings. Carbonation is lighter then expected.

Smell is a sweet, and lightly roastec caramel, with light esters, bready, malty scents as well.

Taste is interesting, caramely sweetness with hints of esters and bread, malt.

Mouthfeel is very well done, nicley balanced, great flavors hit the tongue and cheeks very well.

You would never guess that this is 10+% abv, the flavors aren't overpowering and the mouthfeel is very good, just a very drinkable beer.

12-31-2010 23:33:00 | More by mvanaskie13
faucd531

Louisiana

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

The price was steep at around twenty dollars. After purchasing a bottle I learned it was a Biere de Champagne. I'm not a champagne drinker and was less than enthusiastic about this one.

A: Pours a clear amber color with a considerable amount of head that leaves minimal lacing.

s: I detected malt and bread aromas. Also dry and fruity. An overall complex aroma for such a light beer.

T: A malty start that gave way to sweet fruit.Remindes me of a cider.

M: A High level of carbonation that you would expect from this type of beer. A heavier body than I expected.

D: Just not for me especially when concidering the price. If your a champagne or cider lover you should give it a try.

serving type: bottle

12-31-2010 20:37:43 | More by faucd531
klewis

3.78/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Goldenrod with a thick, foamy head and a massive stream of champagne-like bubbles. Heavy lacing.

S: Not much - light wheat and lemon.

T: Wheat and mixed spices balanced against a mild noble hop character. Light fusel alcohol.

M: Quite dry. Medium-bodied with appropriately heavy carbonation.

D: Overall, not outstanding, but quite interesting and enjoyable.

12-31-2010 18:54:08 | More by klewis
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A little outrageous price wise, this is a beer that has been well marketed in beer mags/even local press the Post Gazette has a good write up on it.

To be honest when I saw this bottle at my local here in town at Valley Wine Cellar, I had to think it over. Do I really want a 20 dollar bottle of beer, that I know nothing about? I decided to take the dive. This one uncorked beautifully with a loud pop, and pours effervescently much like a bottle of champagne. I don't see how they recreated a new style of beer there are a handful of brut biers out there like Deus off the top of my head. Pours a deep honey golden hue with a large white head forming thick, as it dwindles down large bands of white lacing stick to my fluted large pilsner glass. Nose is really interesting a blend of syrupy notes and green apple cider and white grapes pretty interesting mix. Even a touch of caramel glides in here from the malt content, a light herbal/grassiness from the hops. Flavor provides bountiful sweet fruit tones with warming green apple/white grape and bready yeast notes. Dry finish tingles the back of the throat, flavor wise alcohol doesn't peak through it's more in the warming in the stomach that gives the abv away. Medium bodied slightly cloying finish between the dryness and the nutty caramel cloying kick that doesn't fit in the picture. Carbonation wasn't my issue it just wasn't an enjoyable experience, a beer that should pass as the hype dwindles down. I would rather buy both a Sam Adams 12 pack sampler and a Weihenstephan gift pack four around 27 dollars where I would get 5 16oz bottles with a wheat beer glass and a 12 pack of 12 ounce samplers instead of 20 bucks for a corked 750 ml bottle. As it warms this beer becomes basically undrinkable, horrible cloying peanut/yeast breadiness with a sour tart finish. Tastes like a bad strong malt liquor, with rotten bannas and granny smith apples.

12-31-2010 15:46:01 | More by WVbeergeek
spointon

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

I poured this from a uniquely shaped 750ml crown-capped brown bottle into a couple of fancy snifters (shared it with BA roadhouse).

A= This beer poured a very clear pale gold color with hints of a deeper orange gold throughout. The head rose about an inch, but was nowhere near as frothy as I expected. The head was a brilliant white color and the steady carbonation release kept it in place for a long time. Not much in the way of lacing.

S= This is where things started to get weird. The esters were citrusy but sort of off at the same time. Hard to explain but there was just something less than pleasant about the fruitiness (like some exotic citrus fruit that has started to turn soft and rotty). The hops lent a noble/grassy scent. Not a lot of alcohol in the nose despite the ABV.

T= Started off sweet and malty and moved into sweet and fruity. Despite this little flavor journey this beer was lacking in character. Really it was just honey/malt and that weird fruit turned bad note. Left me wishing for some yeast character (yes I know its not a Belgian ale but still it was so blah it made me wish it was). The hops appeared just enough to cut through the sweetness and then receded again. Finished with an odd combination of fruit sweetness and thin alcohol dryness. Just an odd beer.

MF= Higher than medium bodied for sure, with a very high carbonation level that gets mellowed out on the tongue by the sheer weight of the brew.

D= Its drinkable in the sense that the ABV is fairly well hidden, but the flavors were so odd that I was struggling to put down 12 ounces of this. Not my favorite beer for sure, but I admire the effort and creativity that went into the project.

12-31-2010 06:07:11 | More by spointon
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%

Had to try this bottle after the hype. I am mildly uncertain after seeing reviews thus far.

Appearance:
Poured into a champagne glass; it has the color of hard cider with lighter tones of yellow around the edges. There was a tremendous amount of carbonation behind this cork which thankfully shot into my secure palm. The beer appears rich and has a slight haze, which is something I traditionally like in a golden ale (or whatever the hell this is). What is strange about this beer is a completely lacking head and absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

Smell:
I get notes of ester sweetness, hoppy bitterness, and a slight yeasty funk/fruitiness. This beer is light yet complex to my senses. I find a slight cardboard stale scent that lingers aside from the traditional beer characteristics.

Taste:
Something so strange and complex yet refreshing and celebratory. The secondary fermentation, which must have used a pretty resilient yeast, doesn't come though strong like a belgian, but does explain some of the bready thickness. I also note a lighter citrus hop bitterness that is appropriate for a beer attempting a bubbly classic; I wouldn't want a super piney hop for something that is supposedly light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel:
The beer is fairly full-bodied with light, honey sweetness, but a slightly off-putting and syrupy aftertaste. The alcohol is not as easily hidden to my mouth as it is my nose, but does contribute to the fullness of this beverage's body. This beer is not like any other I've had and it's hard to believe that using only the 4 essentials of beer were they able to produce something with such contrast to the norm.

Drinkability:
I think this beer is quite drinkable, it pushes the limits and I can appreciate the attempt. There is a distinct yet light yest characteristic followed by a sweet malt, bitter hops, and thousands of tiny bubbles.
However, I do not appreciate the price. I'm glad for trying it and I adequately celebrated a phenomenal semester, but I love my Belgians (which can pop a cork just as hard).

Cheers.

12-31-2010 05:12:33 | More by ThePorterSorter
sweemzander

2.17/5  rDev -32.6%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass.

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a large effervescent white head with good retention and some lacing.

(S)- Dry and yeasty with a small grassy note amidst it. Very dry with hints at a cider component.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Some white grape and cider elements with a dry grassy hop note in front of a beer that just reminds me of a bubbly Boston Lager.

(M)- A high, but fitting carbonation level. Very dry and lightly spicy/bitter.

(D)- A major disappointment considering what a bottle of this is going for $$ wise. Nothing too special about it; reminds me of a slightly tweaked Boston Lager with a yeastier profile and higher carbonation level.

12-29-2010 21:50:07 | More by sweemzander
Traquairlover

Served at about 40F in a Champagne flute.

A = Deeper, more robust yellow than I had anticipated, very good clarity, has a bright white head of small bubbles that slower recedes leaving light lacing.

S = Honeysuckle, floral scents, honey.

T = Refreshing light tart flavors hit the tip of the tongue and continue onto the middle and back of the palate. Hints of not quite ripe apricots, clover honey mead, some yellow grapefruit, pears, very fruity, slight hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very interesting in that it has definite champagne like qualities, not of a classic brut more of a blanc de noirs or a rose, but at the same time it is almost like a cross between a wit, a saison and a kristalweizen.

M = Medium body, light tingling carbonation, goes well with the taste.

D = This one is quite an easy drinker and would definitely be a suitable alternative to champagne.

12-29-2010 19:53:34 | More by Traquairlover
Cakebroue

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

When I pulled the cork out, a delightful smell hit me right away, but went away quickly. I thought the taste was pretty average. Sweet and Malty, which is good for me because I am not into a really bitter taste. I wasn't blown away, but this is definitely a decent beer. I would reserve this for some of my friends that are more into wine, as I can see this beer being a good crossover for them.

12-29-2010 16:58:17 | More by Cakebroue
chilidog

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Got thisone and tried it Christmas eve 2010.

It poured a slight hazey gold. Tons of carbonation in the glass. A large white head, some lace that fades to a trace.

Aroma of sweetness yet citric.

Taste starts out sweet, candied sugar. Then citric with pink grapefruit up front. Then a boozy alcohol is last to show up.

Mouthfeel is soft and air-like due to the carbonation. A tart pucker and lingering alcohol dryness lingers.

Drinkability suffers due to its complexity. Lots of big flavors taking you in differant directions. ok as a sipper, and at 10% plus, may as well.

12-29-2010 07:30:49 | More by chilidog
chodinheaven

Maryland

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Large white head, reminiscent of champagne only slightly heavier. Golden or a rich yellow that gives it promise.

S: Weird. Smells like champagne, with the alcohol smell very present. Not what I expect from a beer.

T: Follows the nose. Champagne taste with the alcohol very present but not warming. Almost annoying to taste. The sweetness and alcohol clash causing an annoying aftertaste. Not nearly enjoyable enough to justify the 25 dollar price tag. The dry finish that I expect from the big champagne-y taste just isn't there

M: Almost dissapates into bubbles in my mouth before I can get a good grip on it. If it wasn't for the disappointing taste I almost wouldn't know that it was there.

D: I wouldn't have another glass. Just didn't do it for me. I would certainly not buy this again.

The glorified bottle, hype, and price made me think that this was going to be a beer to remember. If this was a 10 or even 15 dollar bottle it'd be justifiable. But 25 dollars? Not worth the price tag. Definitlely dissappointing. But enjoy it or not I'm glad I tried it once.

12-29-2010 05:54:52 | More by chodinheaven
Murchmac

Glad I got a chance to sample this beer. I know a lot of people did not like this beer, but I loved it.

Golden pour with lots of bubbles with a nice white head that recedes into the beer.

Nice smell but not great. some fruits, yeast, malt.

I love the taste of this thing. Bubbly, with a great malt backbone that is sweet, very sweet. Hoppy taste to it, light, fruity. Very good beer.

The alcohol is not hot and barely detectable. Id drink this one everyday if I could.

12-29-2010 05:08:17 | More by Murchmac
CHickman

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a clear gold in color with tons of bubbles racing up the brew and the most ridiculous massive 4 finger foamy white head that I've ever seen; I poured this into both a flute (first) and a pilsner glass, and the head in the pilsner glass was the biggest and longest lasting head that I've ever seen. The head lasted for almost 5 minutes and stayed like a cloud and left good lacing after each sip. This looks like champagne with an insanely big head on top.

Smells of sweet fruit like pear, apple, grape, some banana, sweet malt, light caramel, yeast, herbs, flowers and some floral hops; aroma like a soft bouquet of flowers in a fruit basket. The champagne-like aroma is very nice and sweet, yet different from "regular" beer.

Tastes of sweet malt, pear, apple, grape, coriander, grapefruit, light banana, caramel, yeast, herbs, grass, flowers, floral hops, citrus hops, light grains and a hint of alcohol like a white wine; this is very complex and flavorful with a lot of sweetness and a wine or champagne taste. The flavor is good and very different, but not great.

Mouthfeel is light and very crisp with extremely high carbonation that was zesty, and yet this beer was smooth and slick on the tongue; it felt buttery and went down easy, even with the borderline over-the-top sweetness. The alcohol peeked through, but was not a factor to me considering it's over 10% ABV.

This was a very good beer, and a great effort by Sam Adams and Weihenstephan, but not worth the price ($20+ per bottle). The price took away from the drinkability, as it just can't justify the expense to taste ratio. It's definitely worth trying, but may not meet your expectations unless you love champagne. I am aging a second bottle in hopes that this will age well like Dom Perignon.

12-29-2010 04:34:21 | More by CHickman
almychristopher

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

this beer pours a nice clear golden color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of lace. the aroma brings a lot of fruit and malt to the nose, the yeast esters add a nice element, the taste follows with a very rich fruity flavor up front, with a sweet dark fruit finish. the full mouthfeel and medium body make this less drinkable than your average champagne... but an interesting style.

12-29-2010 01:02:30 | More by almychristopher
WesWes

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a mellow alcohol feel with a good deal of malty sweetness; not dry at all, almost syrupy. The taste is average as well. It's rich and sweet with a ton of malty character and a rough alcohol finish. There is a considerable amount of booziness here. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a different drinking experience for me. I'm new to the style, but I'm guessing this isn't the best example. I'm still grateful to have tried it though. Thanks almychristopher.

12-29-2010 00:36:53 | More by WesWes
jrallen34

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

Bottle poured into my Narke glass...I pulled this out at our tasting as more of a palate cleanser amidst a ton of heavy stouts. Sadly, this disappointed and only thing it cleansed was my sink. Take your 1000 years of brewing experience and trade it for someone with 5 and some common sense. I guess they were going for a champagne wheat beer, which if that was their aim they hit in on the head, as that what it is. Not sure who dreamed this idea up, as it was poorly conceived...Light cloudy honey gold, bubbly, decent carbonation...The aroma is horrendous, smells like corn mostly, some yeast and wheat...The taste tastes like champagne with wheat it in, not sure why they thought a dry crisp drink would go well with a wheaty base. Light grape and soap notes add to such a great experience.

This is utter garbage, all commercial hype and should be avoided at all costs. Shame on you Mr. Koch.

12-29-2010 00:17:39 | More by jrallen34
clintron3000

3.85/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured a nice clear straw color with tiny bubbles.
Appearance similar to champagne, lots of sparkly head.

Mouthfeel was refreshing with a clean finish.
Nothing all that interesting in terms of malt character and only the faintest indications of hop bitterness or aroma presented.

Not overly sweet or cloying, went down easy and very drinkable considering the relatively high ABV. The alcohol sharpness is masked well.

Overall, this beer is just not terribly interesting.Take away the hype and the story and you've got an only slightly above average beer. Processes aside, it didn't not succeed in breaking new ground.

12-28-2010 20:44:25 | More by clintron3000
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)