Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
Read the review

InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Reviews: 515 | Ratings: 1,127
4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

I poured this 750 ml bottle into a tall wine glass.

A: champagne-like, tall, bubbly head, clear, brownish-gold color, good cap & lacing.

S: very bock-like, sweet malt, Germanic yeast funk, floral hop note.

T: like a fusion between bock and champagne: bread, yeast, light citrus note, floral note.

M: medium-body, silky, abundant carbonation.

D: everyone who shared this with me really enjoyed this beer, and so did I. Well done.

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

750mL bottle at Flying Saucer poured into 3 tulip glasses a crisp orange with a decent slowly diminishing off white head. The aroma is white wine with a trace of noble hops and mild alcohol. The taste is very sweet fruits and grape with just a slight hop bitterness. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with nice carbonation, there is certainly alcohol presence, but it's not too much. This is certainly a beer worth trying, also worth saving for a special occasion.

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

Not very easy to get, especially with the $20 price tag that comes along with it. I love BBC and always will..
A- Very bubbly with a clear wheat color. Champagne look for sure
S- Smells very fruity with a hint of hops. the alcohol comes out a lot in this one. Smells like a little bit of pear, or passion fruit. very pleasant at that though.

T- Is a Good, but not amazing. Sweet malts present. leaves kind of a weird aftertaste in your mouth.

M- Is just like drinking a champagne really. the taste is very deceiving as you expect to get a champagne like taste but it tastes like a nice ale.

D- I think this is an exceptionally drinkable beer. But with the price it is something that you have to consider. Maybe something as a celebration?
When it all comes down to it, Koch said he wanted to make something new. He wanted to create a champagne like beer, and i think he did just that. This beer was everything he said it was going to be. I personally bought 3 bottles. I live in ohio and thought i wasn't going to be able to purchase it. I did however get lucky enough to find some and purchase it. All around a GREAT beer.

4.18/5  rDev +26.3%

The Infinium poured a crystal clear amber with bright golden highlights shining wherever the light caught it. It was obvious from the very beginning that this beer was going to have more champagne characteristics, especially when I poured it and a huge 4-finger thick head of large, clean bubbles built up effortlessly, threatening to spill over the sides. Unfortunately, the head didn't last long and quickly fell into a few carbonation-fueled islands of small rapidly popping bubbles. Throughout the duration of the drink, there were lots of champagne bubble lines constantly flowing from the bottom and sides of the glass that transferred over into the mouthfeel quite a bit.

I was surprised when I initially smelled mashed bananas in the light aroma, but they were well balanced by snippets of cloves, sweet malts, light sprinklings of brown sugar and slight hints of apple cider that came through as it warmed. There were some very quiet hints of light wheat and a yeast (which I've seen referred to as a Belgian yeast) seemed to pop out once in a while with the bubbles, while something bready - almost doughy - hid in the background. It was a nice clean smell with very little discernible alcohol in the nose, and was a nice combination of beer and champagne, neither really overwhelming the other.

As soon as it hit my tongue, there was a distinct sharp green apple tartness that really surprised me as it was very reminiscent of a bright cider, but with nice full carbonation, which was more of a champagne quality. Despite the initial shock of sour apple, it easily transformed into softer sweet, chewy, bready malts and the belgian yeast with a touch of spice swirling around golden delicious apples. The mouthfeel was very smooth, creamy and refreshing and I found it very difficult to detect the 10% alcohol in the taste - that presented itself in a nice warming sensation that built gradually. Overall, I think I've decided that this beer is more like a heavy champagne than any kind of beer, even though it nicely holds qualities from both categories. I do not think many beverages, regardless of what they are made of or where/how they are made, are worth $20+, but that is no reason for me to go and rip apart how this beer let me down, was a disappointment, or didn't live up to my expectations. If I were to go into every beer (or any experience for that matter) expecting to encounter every good rumor and all the built-up hype I had heard about it, I would be severely disappointed with a lot of things in life. How could I be happy? Instead, I went into this beer ignoring what everyone else had said and had my own wonderful experience with it. I really enjoyed all of the different components that brought it together and would gladly buy it again for a special occasion if it were continued.

4.17/5  rDev +26%

A: Pours a deep amber/honey/orange color. The brightness is very stunning. At first a two finger white head forms that gently settles to a ring. Some sticky lace is left.
S: Big toasted malts up front. Crusty bread/biscuit. A dried fruity aroma as well that I love. Dried and fleshy apricot. I light caramel sweetness lingers. I love it.
T: Big toasted malts and fresh baked bread up front. A dry fruity flavor that follows the nose. Again, I get a lot of apricots. There is a nice caramel sweetness to balance everything out. Very clean flavors.
M/D: A medium to full body. Really crisp, clean, and dry. Very easy to drink. The alcohol is noticeable, but a good beer to sip on.

I really enjoy this beer. Very unique and interesting. More than that, it is also good. To many beers are just interesting to try once. Though I will finish the bottle without a problem, and probably get another bottle. Something I would recommend.

4.17/5  rDev +26%

the Boston Beer Company released Sam Adams Infinium; it is a champagne beer. I was rather impressed that this beer tasted more like champagne then actual beer. I would not drink this beer everyday do to the rarity, cost, and taste, but it would be good on special occasions for beer lovers

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%

I really enjoy this beer and usually try to snatch a few up whenever my distributor gets a case.

A -The appearance of this beer is beautiful. Extremely clear "school bus" yellow color. If it is not poured very slowly a huge head can form, and even with proper pouring a substantial head exists and a full head is generally always present. There is a ton of bubbles streaming to the top of the glass. I like to drink it in a champagne glass, it is a very pretty beer when served like this.

S - The smell is not everwhelming. Mostly fuity notes and not much obvious hop aroma.

T - I really enjoy the taste of this beer. It is a very crisp, dry fruity experience, much like true champagne. It is not overly boozy and it is hard to detect the 10.3% abv.

M - The beer is very airy in your mouth and you can tell theres quite a bit of carbonation.

D - This beer is highly drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden and overall this is a terrific beer. I really enjoy popping one open and enjoying it over an hour or so.

I really enjoy this beer and if you are lucky enough to see a bottle of Infinium at your distributor, you should buy it. I think every beer connoisseur should try this beer if they get the opportunity, as it is really special and original. However, it does have the $20 price tag. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you can spend the money but because of this price tag, it may not be for everyone.

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an oversized pilsner glass.

This beer looks great. It's extremely carbonated and pours with a huge head, at least 8 fingers worth. The head retains and laces fairly well. The smell is also very good, it's very fruity with just a hint of esters from the alcohol. The taste is also quite good, it's a very fruity taste at first, with then some hops that follow, and some smooth malts and alcohol.

The mouthfeel is spot-on for what they were trying to achieve, it's very smooth and very carbonated. The drinkability is also quite good, especially for the ABV. I really enjoyed the bottle of Infinium I had. Is it worth the price? Probably not. But it's still a great beer that I'm glad I had.

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%

A - Beautiful tequillia sunrise. Amber and gold a real treat to the eye. Nice size white head; a bit much if poured uncontrollably.

S - Smells of pear and sweet nutmeg spice

T - Dry, yet moist - intriging. Tastes like it smells.

M - Bubbly. Makes you belch if consumed too quickly.

D - Excellent drinkability is good. A very interesting beer.

Deceptively good beer. I was not sure what to expect, and upon first sip I was not sure I liked it. I gave it a good faith effort and it really grew on me.

The color is outstanding, and the carbonation is abundant. It is a very light bodied, very drinkable beer that tastes like champagne at first, but as it mellows gives off the distinct taste of a very light ale. I would recommend it, knowing it is not for everyone. Try it just to say you did. It is worth it.

I purchased 3 bottles for $18 each in Grenta, NE, just outside of Omaha visiting my wife's relatives over the New Year.

4.15/5  rDev +25.4%

A: Lovely pour... a very nice golden honey hue, topped with a head taking up nearly 1/4 of the glass. It doesn't take long to recede to just a collar and film, but it's a good initial appearance all around.

S: The aroma hits me not long after lifting the glass... I detect a rather fruity scent, along with some spicy notes. Some nice, sweet citrus aromas and some floral qualities. Not much for a pungent hoppiness... everything seems very 'pretty,' for lack of better words.

T: It's almost as if a pilsener has the assertive hopping removed and is replaced by fruity esters. On first contact, the flavour is a bit sweet, followed by a warm malt, a touch of spiciness, and a hint of alcohol on the finish, bringing with it a suitable warming. Maybe it's the influence of the alcohol flavour that gives it a bit of a vinous quality.

M: The sparkling carbonation makes for a lively drink. Had it been finished with more dryness, I would have been floored by it. Nonetheless, it is nice, crisp, and quite refreshing... granted, that could be a bit of a red flag, considering the alcohol content!

D: Aside from the little spot of alcohol noted on the finish, it's incredibly well hidden. It drinks ridiculously easily, though I would find myself on the fence about picking it up again at $20. I will admit that I enjoyed it enough that I do find myself interested in another... plus, it IS pretty much on par with other beers of the style, as far as cost goes. Perhaps it will be a beer of choice for the New Year celebration.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

There has been a lot of hype about this beer. For about 6 months, I have been looking forward in popping the top off this one. The thing about this beer is that you have to go into it with an open mind, it's much different from an average beer. The style, Biere de Champagne / Biere Brut isnt't for every one. In this case, tasters must have an open mind when pouring their fizzy, foamy Infinium into glasses.

Another thing to consider, is the history behind this brew. Now, Sam Adams, has been around for 25ish Years now, but Weihenstephan has been around since 1040AD, and is by now the oldest ON-GOING brewery... not the oldest ever, but the oldest around. Now, another thing to consider is the style of beer Sam Adams and Weihenstephan picked, it is a rare style that is seen in Belgium and France which is not commonly seen in to many places even in the respected countries they are known to be from.

Finally, the opening:

The beer popped, with a fizzy like, "champagne" feel, or I guess Sparkling Wine, and poured into my glass a thin, straw yellow color, that glowed with bubbly intensity. The fizzy carbonation made a quick and tantalizing head, which was very effervescent. The aroma was somewhat sweet characterized from the malt, but crisp.

The overall aroma, was of lightly roasted sweet malts, banana peels, citrus, and some hoppy & yeasty notes.

The taste, was dry, kind of crisp on the palate, which was accompanied by a floral, apple, and citrus notes... followed up by some hop bitterness, and a firm alcohol finish, which was smooth but noticeable.

Overall, I was impressed with this beer, I didn't think that Sam Adams would have pulled it off, and I thought that Weihenstephan was being a little ambitious with this interesting collaboration, but I think it was very nice. Another keen point many beer connoisseurs miss on this one, is that it is approachable by the mainstream and the select palate alike. This is crucial fro marketing it, and marketing their products, I'm sure this isn't going to be the last collaboration that Sam Adams does with Weihenstephan.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

This is my second bottle of this. I stored this in my cellar and I have to say it was better this time.
Best by July 2011

A - Poured from the bottle into a tall wine glass. Color is light cloudy amber similar to that of apple juice. Huge white head that bubbles and takes a while to calm down. Leaves minimal lacing around the glass and bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass.

S - This hits hard with bready yeast and sweet fall fruits such as apples, pears, and light orange citrus. Some maltyness shines through as does some spicy aromas. The smell seems to lightly cleanse the palate before each sip.

T - I get the sweetness of the apple cider flavor upfront followed by some dry spice hoppines towards the end of the sip. It seems to work well in balance. Nothing feels out of place or too unbalanced.

M - Very sweet up front with high levels of carbonation then winding down to a dry spicy finish that leaves the mouth refreshed.

O - I really enjoyed this beer. I love fine wine and this reminds me of it. Why should all beers be polished off right away. The fact that the bottle was split 2 ways of the course of a 4 course meal speaks volumes of what they were trying to do here. I got to enjoy a beer that I want more of that I don't think I will have for a while. It was a treat so to speak. I think looking past the hype and enjoying it in the right settign would make the experiance more enjoyable.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a flute
A- pours a dark golden hay color, one finger foamy head appears and sticks around showing no signs of leaving, constant stream of bubbles rising to the top, no real retention against the glass

S- smells like a brut champagne with a little kick, the alchol is noticeable, coriander and other spices present, crisp fruits, clean and crisp smelling

T- alcohol, spices mixed with a malty bready taste, fruity mixed with a dry champagne like finish, complex like a champagne mixed with a spiced ale

M- this light body carries the champagne like carbonation however it is not completely that, it does carry a slightly heavier feel that makes it somewhat creamy body, very nice for the person who loves both beer and champagne

D- this beer was very easy to take down, this is one I would classify as a celebratory/celebration beer, at around $20 a bottle it is one you want for special occasions only, throughly enjoyed it

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Infinium's cork pops much the same as a champagne does. It displays exceptionally fine bubbles that race from the foot to head. The body is crystal clear, and displays a gentle copper color.

S: I was pleasantly surprised by the aggressive bouquet of this brew. Toasted croissant and brioche, delicious.

T: Slightly sweet, though it's supposed to be a brut, with the aforementioned croissant and brioche. There are also minor notes of black cherry.

M: The bubbles are plentiful, but the body is slightly sticky.

D: This brew is definitely groundbreaking; I've never had anything like it. I will admit that I had something else in mind when I bought this bottle, but I have to say that the surprise was, for the most part, a pleasant one.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

I am very surprised at all the negative reviews for this beer as I really liked it. The appearance is great with a snow white head and amber color. Taste is very complex dominated with sweet malt apples. Overall a great refreshing beer that I would definitely buy again if I could find it.

4.12/5  rDev +24.5%

A Christmas gift from a friend. Thanks, Steve.
In a flute, the beer was a golden color with an off-white head. Lots of carbonation. There was even a tiny bit of lace.
Nice aroma. Sugary sweet, fruit, peppery in the nose.
It tasted like a candied apple, with a late hit of hops.
Sweet, bubbly.
Very good.

4.12/5  rDev +24.5%

My bottle of Infinium had been sitting in my fridge for months before I opened it, and I have no point of comparison for how it should smell or taste when fresh. I'm opening it now--in late October 2011--having just noticed today that I should have consumed it before July 2011. Anything in this review should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, my bottle opened with a champagne-like bang of carbonation, immediately spreading a fruity, citrus-like aroma around the room. On closer inspection, the fruity aromas--which bring white grape, orange, apricot, mango, pear, and apple to the table--are joined in the bottle by strong touches of malty, yeasty bread, much like a combination of baking wheat and marble rye aromas. There's also an almost lemon-lime soda touch in the background, and good hints of biscuit and, oddly, raisin bread and light port wine.

On the tongue, the beer is quite bubbly, and bursting with fruity flavors. White grape, light port, raisin, pear, apricot, and apple abound, resting atop a bed of light white bread toast and peppery spices. The soda-like lemon-lime flavors are still present, and when combined with the extreme carbonation, give the beer distinct overtones of sparkling flavored water. Hops provide a nice grapefruit and rosewater counter. My bottle has a slight vinegar subtext, somewhat Flemish-like, but I have no idea if this is due to its past-due-date status or not. The aftertaste is mainly spent grains, light wheats, and a fading peppery citrus zest, and lingers for a long time. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is high, to the end that if you plugged your nose, you would swear you had a mouthful of fizzy champagne.

Overall, I quite liked this beer, and wish I had earlier noticed the due date. If this were brewed more often, I would certainly recommend this as a champagne alternative for festive occasions, as the fruity flavor profile would no doubt appeal to the masses, as would the 10.3% ABV. I'm not sure many people would classify this as "beer," but if you move beyond that distinction, this is a quite enjoyable beverage.

4.12/5  rDev +24.5%

Caught somewhere between a Belgain Saison, a German Hefeweizen, and a Champagne, this fruity and dry beer is a hearty compliment along side of any sparkling wine for the Christmas and New Years celebrations.

Pouring a hazy deep staw color, the beer carries a spritzy carbonation on a creamy looking malty base with a fluid head stance that retains and laces very well. Just a pace off of the driest of beers, this beer carries a bit more visual weight than I expected.

Tropical fruit aromas release a plethera of appricot, peach, pineapple, pear, mango, papaya, kiwi, and banana. Mild spice of white pepper, orange zest, clove, corriander, and a touch of cinnamon decorate the peripheries of the fruity/yeasty/briny scent.

Flavors of wheat breads, fresh yeast/fresh baked breads give a firm malty base to the beer. Bold flavors of moderate fruits give a firm but mellow pace to the beer while mild spices of cinnamon, lemongrass, and sasafrass give roundness and refreshment to the fruity/malty mid palate and ushers in a zest finish.

The effervescent start subsides to allow creaminess and a bready fullness in the middle of the taste. But the finish of herbal, alcoholic, hoppy dryness helps as the beer fades into the fruity/bready aftertaste.

Reminding me of classic Sahti's, Saisons, Hefeweizens, and sparkling wines, this beer borrows a lot of characteristics from fruity/spicy/characterful beers of bready/wheaty origins. Where challenging, I applaude the bravery of otherwise traditional brewers to get to these new blends of taste. It's just a step off of the pace of DeuS and Brooklyn's Sorachi Ale. Instead of the medium bready mid palate that makes the beer a bit fatty, I'd prefer much more dryness and spiciness driving toward the finish.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought the 750 ml bottle in a Duty Free shop at the Munich airport in Dec 2012. There were lots of bottles on the shelf and mine had a bottling date of 1 Nov 2012. It looks like it is being actively brewed.

A - Dark copper color with lots of red. The beer is amazingly clear and bright. Creamy off-white head is a good 2-3 cm thick on initial pour and lasts very well. This is a beautiful beer.

S - The aroma is similar to a doppelbock, but it has some Belgian-like characteristics also. Bready malt, crisp, earthy German hops. There is a distinct green apple smell and maybe some grapes or white wine. No alcohol in aroma.

T - The taste is not as impressive as the aroma. Again there is a similarity to a doppelbock, but without the depth of malt flavors. There is some bready malt, but it is drowned out mid-palate by green apple and boozy alcohol. Moderate hops bitterness. Sweet finish. Probably the best comparison I can make is to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree.

M - Thick body. High carbonation and hops bitterness combine to give a harsh mouthfeel. Some alcohol burn as well.

O - This is a good beer, but with flaws. The flavors are not very complex or deep and it has a sharp, acrid mouthfeel. I put it on a level with and very similar to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree. It is enjoyable and I'm glad I tried it, but it is not an all-time favorite for me.

Served in a wine glass

This beer pours a deep copper color with a decent fizz that settles down to just a thin layer that stays on the top throughout the drinking experience. The smell is of white grapes, caramel, honey and a bit of oak sour. It combines in a rather nice way that creates a sweet melange on the nostrils. The taste is fruity with some pear and orange. Caramel sugars are rather obvious on the palate as well. It's got the right amount of fizz, but I think the body is still a bit on the heavier side. This is still a really good drinking beer, and will be perfect for beer lovers on New Year's.

4.11/5  rDev +24.2%

I feel like there are three or four factors impacting reviews of this beer.

1) Its a bit costly--though we received the bottle we drank as a Christmas present.

2) Many folks are comparing it to beers they have had in the past.

3) Many folks are keeping it in the bottle far too long--one for10 years!

4) Many folks drank it with closed minds.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the appearance of the bottle my wife and I drank, and I say that confidently even though we drank it on 12/31/11. It was absolutely crisp and clear, as was the slightly fruity smell and the excellent dry taste. Mouthfeel was as expected--comparable to some of the better champagnes we have had. It was an excellent substitue for champagne, and reminded me of some of the better altbiers I have experienced. Despite the price, I would buy it again.

4.1/5  rDev +23.9%

This bottle has table presence and then some--love it or hate it, it can only help elevate beer's status in the public eye.

From a caged and corked bottle it pours with a champagne like effervescence, a honied golden topped by a thick, bright and bubbly head. The cork was the worse for wear and some of it stuck to the mouth of the bottle.

There is much of a Belgian pale ale about the aroma, surprising for a America-Germany collaboration. Very sweet like candy or icing sugar with abundant phenols, and I may be projecting my own expectations on this beer, but there is something of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier about this, with notes of clove and spice and banana.

There taste is beyond pleasant, with apricot, lemon zest, Granny smith apples, a light caramel malt and some light spice, underpinned by a pleasant fruitiness. Finishes very dry, very tart--highly attenuated. I can't quite peg it, but it reminds me of something Unibroue would (or maybe even has) come up with. As it warms the fruity yeast flavours really open up and the alcohol starts to warm up.

The mouthfeel is very reminiscent of a champagne, if nowhere near as dry.

Very easy drinking and surprisingly approachable. I could drink about a million of these.

Definitely worth a try--it's a whole new style only inasmuch as it's equal parts Beglian pale ale meets hefeweizen meets champagne--and while I'm not sorry I picked up two bottles of this, for the pricetag I can get three bottles of La Fin Du Monde or five Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbiers for about the same price and be just as happy, so it's hard to justify getting this again. Which is a shame as there was literally hundreds of these at the Summerhill LCBO earlier today.

4.09/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours with a big, beautiful fluffy head over a medium amber body. Almost looks like a darker Duvel, but the head collapses much more quickly.

The aroma is citrusy hops with a little malt thrown in. Really reminds me a lot of Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Not a good thing, but not too bad, either.

The taste is a complete departure from the aroma. Very malty with some hops to back it up. Not sweet but also not dry. Very low bitterness with some nice richness. A comparison, for those who have had it, would be a drier version of Capital Brewing's Autumnal Fire with a little extra complexity. No alcohol noticeable in the taste which is amazing given that it's > 10% ABV.

The mouthfeel is very, very nice. Not too thick, not too thin and with the fine carbonation that you'd want from champagne.

It goes does very easily but it's rich enough that I wouldn't want many. And that's before the alcohol hits!

4.08/5  rDev +23.3%

Thanks to Skip for sending the bottle. I was really looking forward to trying this ambitious beer and was surprised to see the highly mixed reviews to date.

Served at 45F into a champagne flute. Pours deep golden and clear with a huge champagne head that dissipates quickly.

Mild aroma of fruit amd malt.

Clean malt/toffee taste with mild cherry notes. The 10.3% alcohol was well hidden.

Champagne like mouthfeel, despite rapidly dissipating carbonation, with a clean dry finish.

The bottle was split three ways and I was left wanting more.

This experiment may be only a partial success, but kudos to Boston Beer Comapany and Weihenstephan for producing a truly innovative beer.

4.07/5  rDev +23%

I'm pretty surprised this one has received so many low reviews. I've found it to be pretty nice.

A: Beautifuly rich golden color with touch of crimson, quickly disappating champagne head, very champagne like. Moderate rising carbonation.
S: His this high alcohol intensity to it though it comes across not so strong and the alcohol is pretty sedated. like an apricot belgian strong ale.
T: There are champagne/sparkling wine elements to it, crossed with a belgian strong ale. But unlike the majority of beers in this alcohol range, it's not so so so intense and overpowering. it's light which I really appreciate. I'm also pretty surprised they could summon these flavors with just three ingredients.
M: Champagne like carbonation.
O: A very nice collaboration. The beer, for me, lives up to it's beautiful bottle.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)