Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
Reviews: 511 | Hads: 1,119
2.22/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottle. Have had this one chillin in the fridge for a long time, kinda one of those beers that gets lost in the way back. Not sure what to expect out of it at this time. Gives a nice pop when opened and pours a slightly hazed pale straw yellow color with a bone white head. The nose is, well, interesting and reminds me of a mix between provolone/swiss cheese and old apples. Maybe some bready quality as well. The taste is, well, interesting too. Cheese, apple, some pear, wheat biscuit, and a slight yeast note. Mouthfeel is light/medium. Overall, a let down. This had potential but it just doesn’t come together very nicely. Nice bottle but the contents leaves a lot to be desired. blah

2.18/5  rDev -34.1%

first beer of 2011
A: poured into a champagne goblet, with a finger of head, pale yellow body.
S: exactly like a stick of butter, i hate putting a something down like this but its just weird.
T: butter again, i feel horrible that this was an Christmas gift to my father, id rather have a stick of butter. there are barely any hops. overall its butterscotch.
M: very bubbly, sticks to the palate.
D: it may be drain poured, ive had better higher carbonated beers. this is just weird. overall its way to buttery. the bottle art is the only thing i give an A

2.18/5  rDev -34.1%

This has to be one of the most disappointing beers of all time.

Poured a clear amber. Bubbly - no question about it.

Nose was much fruiter & maltier than expected.

Taste: When you drop $20 on on a corked & caged .750 that's marketed as champagne-like, then pop the cork at 12:01 AM on Jan 1, you expect a dry, bubbly, geueze-like experience. This was malty - a little caramely, with an unpleasant presence of diacytal.

Mouthfeel was not objectionable

But drinkability suffered so badly due to the taste that my son & I LEFT half the $20 beer in the bottle and moved on to a De Ranke XX Bitter. I had already suffered my wife's complaint that I spent $20 on a beer, then to not even be able to finish it!

2.1/5  rDev -36.6%

Slightly hazy orange amber with a pure white head.

Very sweet cooked sugared banana nose with undertones of pear/peach and cooked sweet lemon. Good; not as good as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is lightly fizzy from Champagne yeast but not as carbonated or fizzy as Champange; elegant but a bit to "fuzzy" than "fizzy." (Taste it...you'll "get it.")

Flavor profile is just not appealing. There is a dull, lightly sour, lightly sweet apricot flavor that is more "spoiled" apricot than fresh/bright apricot. There is an almost sour flavor profile but there is also underlying malt and carmel undertones. I get the impression that this one is not quite sure what it wants to be and simply misses on all counts.

Finish is a dull sour/bitter old apricot character.

An example where a collaboration just didn't work. The ball was really dropped on this one. I had to force myself to take multiple tastes and the finish was such that I couldn't wait to get to the water. Just my thoughts. Price is not even relevant to the fact that I simply could not drink this beer, be it the $26 price tag on my bottle or be it a $1.69 a bottle; this one was just not for me.

2.06/5  rDev -37.8%

A friend of mine popped this open New Years Eve at our favorite watering hole.

I wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed when that was delivered.

Had a decent appearance, very buubbly. Smelled sweet, tasted sweet, no hops and there was something in the background that was very off-putting. The mouthfeel was appropriate.

The bottle looks cool though.

2.06/5  rDev -37.8%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Has a hazy orangish-amber color like an IPA with a tremendous head that never quits and leaves behind huge loops of lacing on the inside of the glass. If nothing else, at least it's a damn pretty beer.

The aroma is mostly of candied pineapple, with lesser amounts of partially spoiled mushy pears, green apples, and a sort of medicinal white wine aspect that wafts up at me like swamp gas. I'm starting to regret how much money I spent on this one...

Tastes of all the elements from the aroma, but with more sour / rotten apple emphasis, and a return of oddball medicinal / vinous aspects that are even *worse* than the nose had me expect.

And the body is just fine. Spritzey, medium body. High carbonation. Too bad it tastes and smells bad.

2.06/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Overall: Though I can understand and appreciate the idea behind Samuel Adams and Weihenstephan's collaboration, Infinium does not work. Its unbalanced character makes it undrinkable past the first sample--it's as if someone filled half your glass with a pale ale, topped you off with champagne, blasted it with CO2 and wished you good luck. If you want to celebrate with champagne, buy real champagne.

Appearance: Deep amber with a heavy head. Thin lace left on the rim of the glass. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: Apple; chlorine; wine; cinnamon.

Taste: Sudsy water with an afterthought of apple juice. Leaves an undesirable stale taste, like waking up the next morning with beer on your breath.

Mouthfeel: Acidic and heavy on the carbonation, like pop soda.

Sampled from a flute glass.

2.06/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Wow. I really wanted to like this beer.

A - really looked great. Made me want to drink it. Pale orange/amber with a lingering head. Very fine bubbles.

S - I literally winced. Some sort of rotting apricots mixed with cheese or bread or.... Not sure.

T - not good. Sorry. I hate even writing this. It tastes like some sort of weird blend of off apricots, Belgian triple and salt (yes salt).

M - admittedly hard to judge given the taste. That said, a little heavy, despite the finer bubbles which were the best part.

O- I enjoy and appreciate beer. I believe I have had nearly everything and I respect the different styles. I have to say that I had infinium 2 years ago and it was much better. Not world class, but much better. Back then I was thinking "Wow, this beer has potential". Sorry to say I may have tasted it at its best back then.

2.01/5  rDev -39.3%

Like many, consumed when the ball dropped on New Year's Eve.

A = Medium orange in color, with massive amounts of carbonation. Big white bubbly, frothy head adorns with bits of lacing.

S = Sweet, malty, earthy, astringent, herbal, slight citrus, medicinal.

T = Cloying sweetness, with some stale orange notes, slightly tart, with stale herbal hop medicine.

M = Medium in body, too creamy, lacked the feel of all that carbonation that seemed present on the pour. I'm not a champagne drinker, but I know there's an effervescent quality, and none of that was there. Carbonated syrup.

D = The sweetness was cloying, neither the taste nor aroma really melded, and I just couldn't finish my glass. I couldn't drink it again.

I love Sam Adams, but this was awful.

2.01/5  rDev -39.3%

A Golden copper one finger off white head. Doesn't stick around but leaves a frothy top.

S Slightly grassy, a little musty, by of biscuit and a light citrus note. Weird bit of metal smell. Syrup.

T Obvious booze in the middle an the end with a sharpness up front. Definitely sweet and caramelly over a bready backbone. Apple and lemons. Lingering sweetness.

M Sharp all over with almost cloying sweetness especially in the finish. Tingling feeling left for a minute or two.

O Rather big beer, too sweet and boozy. There are underlying notes that seem to save it at moments, but generally not enough. I was quite disappointed by this beer. Not what I expected.

2.01/5  rDev -39.3%

Pours a deep, golden yellow with yellow highlights. Has a very thick white head that slowly thins up and has minimal lacing.

Has a sweet smell with strong notes of white grapes and floral hops, with a hint peach and a slight touch of spice and alcohol. There's just something off about it though. The aroma as a whole kind of smells like a bag of cheap fruit snacks.

It tastes like a bad champagne. There are flavors of yeast and spice, with a little bit of hop bitterness, but the fruit flavors really dominate, much to the beers detriment. The one thing I have to give it credit for is the alcohol level is very well hidden. For a 10% beer, there is absolutely no bite at all.

Medium body, which feels surprisingly heavy. The carbonation level is way too high as well. At times, its almost feels frothy. The aftertaste is none too pleasant, and it lingers for quite a while.

Overall, there really isn't much redeeming about this beer aside from the excellent packaging. With such a high price tag (I paid $20), there's no reason not to look elsewhere.

Bottle from the local liquor shop.The beer comes in a beautiful bottle.
Look: The beer pours a clear pale-amber-yellow color with a nice fluffy white head.
Smell: Very sweet malts, corn, fruits (tropical mango, pineapple, banana), yesat.
Taste: Sweet and boozy. Caramel, malts, sugar and added ethanol. Crisp in the end. Extremely unbalanced brew.
Mouthfeel: High carbonation, sharp on the tongue, very thin body.
Overall: What a horrible beer. The bottle is great, but better not put the contents in next time. How dare they to ask 16 euro for this…. This is not a biere brut, go to the masters and learn how to brew this style (like DeuS)

1.98/5  rDev -40.2%

Extra note- Be careful when opening the bottle. I could not get the cork out so I used a wine opener. I've done this before with no issues but the unique bottle neck completely broke and I'm very lucky I did not cut my hand.

A- Strong carbonation; Very clear/ dull yellow color. Very outstanding color and would match up well with champagne.

S- Slightly malty aroma, no discernible hop presence.

T- Very sweet and malty, has a slightly strange sour undertone and an overall awkward flavor profile. Just overall has a weird taste about it and I'm confused with what Boston Brewing was trying to accomplish with this beer. I love creativity and I certainly hope Boston Brewing keeps pushing with this beer and fine tuning it but overall it was a disappointment. My girlfriend and I split this and she could only drink a few sips. I got down a glass and a half but drain poured the rest.

M- Carbonated/Sweet

D- Very low. Much lower than expected but this beer is kind of a malty mess.

Overall- Very disappointed. This beer in many ways comes off undrinkable. On the good side, I appreciate Boston Brewing pushing the edges and trying to develop a new beer style. I am confident with additional tweaks and experience that they can pull this beer off.

1.98/5  rDev -40.2%

Picked this up for a Midnight toast on NYE. I was surprised when I found a bottle at the local Hannafords in Keene, NH last week.

It looked fine, very bubbly, a nice golden color. The aroma was really fruity and sweet, much more than I had anticipated. The taste was a let down to say the least. Of the four people who tried it, I was the only one who had more than one sip, and I only did because I felt like I had to after spending 20.00 on the bottle. I was expecting more of a beer taste than the really sweet, fruity champagne taste I had instead. To me the taste was all fruit and sweetness and nothing to balance against it. There was some malt aftertaste, but not enough. I ended up saving the bottle, but pouring the rest out.

This is my first review and I wanted it to be a positive one, but hopefully that will be the next one...I have a 12 pack of the Peak Organic sampler just waiting to be enjoyed!

1.97/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

180th review on BA
bottle to flute

Christmas presesnt to myself.

App- A very yellow pour with a large head that took a couple pours to get a normal 2 finger head to it. Bubbles for days dance up the glass.

Smell- A very weird smell on this beer. Almost outright butter. A little bit of hops with spice.

Drink- I am not a fan of this at all. I like a lot of Sam adams and Weihenstephan do. Not this one. It was bad. I think the style maybe the culprit but probably not. Just a bad beer.

Mouth- This is a medium body with a high carbonation.

Drink- I drain poured 20 bucks. Damn that sucks.

1.96/5  rDev -40.8%

What a shame.
The advertising made it look so promising.
Dark amber, extremely bubbly.
Fairly powerful smell of roasted malt and dark fruit.
The moment of truth where this beer fails is at first sip. It was vinegary, somewhat boozy, like a bad...very bad malt liquor. After letting it reach room temperature and allowed to "gas off" for about an hour the flavor has improved somewhat, but this stuff is really nothing more than highly carbonated King Kobra malt liquor in a wine bottle.
I can not imagine how anyone who claims to hate malt liquor could give this stuff a higher rating than a "D".
I would love to take some pretentious beerjerks aside and do a blind tasting with this stuff VS a few cheap malt liquors to expose some of those frauds for what they are.

1.95/5  rDev -41.1%

I was very excited to find a bottle of this. I heard some good reviews so I was greatly looking forward to drinking it. It was $39.99 so I was thinking it must be good. It was a 2011 bottle, todays date is 7-13-12.

It was very pretty when pouring, Kinda cloudy golden.

The smell was appealing, a little fruity tartness.

The taste was terrible, A sour punch right off the bat. Then the after taste is too pungent, like after you smoke a terrible cigar.

mouthfeel is actually good if you can get past the taste. easily drinkable. not a strong alcohol taste at all.

overall a terrible beer, would never recommend for enjoyment. I could of bought a 12 pack of Hopslam dammit.

1.86/5  rDev -43.8%

At first glance this beer looks fantastic. The fancy bottle, the extravagant head. All seemingly well.

Then the smell hits you, boozy, apples, caramel, and herbal. Not all that great..

Tasting at first I thought this beer is alright! Then I started tasting more and more, I slowly got very tired of the taste then almost sick in my stomach. I definitly won't try this again. I couldn't get through a glass. But this is just my experience, if I would have only had a taster glass I would have walked away saying this beer was pretty ok, maybe even great.

1.84/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Cracked open at midnight on NYE.

Pours a caramel color with inch of white head that quickly dissipated into nothing.

Smells bready and grainy with a big yeasty aroma. Spices galore as well.

Short version: bad. Taste follows the aroma, but the flavors are awful together. Very yeasty grainy with some out of whack spices. A little bit of apple tartness with some heavy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick and sweet with big champagne like carbonation levels. These two characteristics don't meld well.

Thought I'd try this in place of traditional champagne, but this was horrible. All kinds of clashing flavors leaving a bad aftertaste. Only place to go is up after this in 2012.

1.82/5  rDev -45%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Infinium has a bright golden/orange appearance with noticeable carbonation as the bubbles rise in the champagne glass I poured this in. Medicinal aroma mixed with some green apple and maybe some tropical fruits. Strange, almost chemical like flavor. Alcohol is very noticeable and seems much stronger than the listed 10%. Produces an almost burning sensation on the tongue as the carbonation comes to the forefront. Very disappointing collaboration between 2 normally strong breweries.

1.8/5  rDev -45.6%

Reading threads and threads of criticism about this brew I was still unconvinced this was as bad as it sounded. I finally opened this bottle and found it was really not good at all.

The appearance was adequate, with healthy carbonation and healthy color.
Smelled terrible, similar to rotten compost and decomposed vegetable. Each whiff I took I shuddered at the thought of indulging it with my mouth.
One of the worst tastes I've had in a long time. The rotten vegetable taste persisted. The supremely unpleasant taste was overpowered overwhelmingly with the strong butterscotch flavor. The general consensus of this brew justified itself and I concluded that this is a failure.

It was borderline drinkable at the moment. But after finishing this 750 cc. behemoth myself I've experienced malaise and gastrointestinal discomfort for the following few days. I strongly discouraged anyone from partaking this, as this mighty Infinium is as undesirable as the general population's opinions.

1.78/5  rDev -46.2%

Thanks (I guess. . . well I didn't have to buy, so it had that going for it) to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2012.

Dark yellow pour with lots of haze. Weird head formation, lots of carbonation, but they never amount to anything that retains itself, its just upward effervesence that drifts off into the atmosphere. Aroma was floral pungency, like cheap perfume where the alcohol is really prominent and aged on soaked rotting wood.

Taste, ugh, alcohol still really prominent, and not in a nice warming kind of way. Some wheat mouthfeel if you can hack through the alcohol. Coriander used with a heavy hand. Slight banana yeast flavor. Plenty bready. Lots of pale malt. Sweetness as if it was a corn based malt liquor moreso than whatever the hell it really is. A hodgepodge of stuff. Mostly terrible stuff.

What is really appalling is the price tag on these, they're still sitting at $19.99 in Reno, at the end of 2012. Would never buy at a price tag above $1.

1.76/5  rDev -46.8%

MASSIVE thanks to Jwiss22 for sending me a free bottle. Your advocacy will not go unrewarded...

Appearance -- Pours an orange-amber hue, mild chill haze, and a frothy two finger head of the purest white. Kinda looks like carbonated apple juice with egg whites on top. Sorry…

Smell -- Apple juice, butter cookies, floral hops, and an odd vegetal aroma that i cannot put my finger one. To put it succinctly: Infinium smells like snacktime at daycare.

Taste -- Incredibly sweet, somewhere between apple juice and Andre sparkling wine. Grainy malt and dactyl brigs about a kind of butter cookie flavor that would be nice if it didn't taste like they were also soaked in apple juice. Faint vegetal bitterness, akin to green beans, does little to balance the cloying sweetness and, in fact, makes the beer even less pleasant. While the alcohol is definitely evident in the taste, it's hardly worth noting compared to the other distractions. Lingering flavor of oxidized apple wedges.

Mouthfeel -- Light-bodied, ample fizzy carbonation. Coats the mouth like cough syrup, which is pretty surprising for being such a light-bodied beer.

Overall -- In my defense, I came into this beer with an open mind. Hell, I didn't pay anything for it so it's not like I can express any kind of feeling of being swindled by the price. That said, this one isn't very good and I had a very hard time finishing one glass. If anything, the fact that this was a gift forced me to steel myself and consume my full pour.

I've had Champagne beers in the past, and overall, I like the style. Light, delicate, much like a Tripel with a finer mouthfeel. This, however, bears more resemblance to Andre than a Champagne or a proper sparkling white. The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet with plenty of off-flavor notes. The beer feels…very un-Champagne-like: fizzy, frothy, foamy, and somewhat oily.

I truly didn't want to dump on this beer. I wanted to believe that this beer was just too much not-a-DIPA for the craft beer masses to appreciate, but this really was sugary swill in a fanciful bottle. Frankly, I expect better out of Boston Beer Co., and will continue to do so in the future.

1.76/5  rDev -46.8%

The infamous Infinium. This bottle goes for something like €25 in these parts, and I can only imagine what the price tag is in Canada or the USA. I'd always been really curious about this one, but the price tag and the beer style had always made me hesitant. In comes JohnnyBarman to the rescue! Thanks a lot for bringing this one by the house man!

In anticipation of what was to come, I managed to con my dad and brother into trying a glass with me. Why savor this alone, I thought. Besides, my dad is a big Boston Lager fan, so he actually showed interest in this. I warned him it would be "different."

From a 750ml champagne bottle into a flute glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a large, fluffy, white head with decent retention. Color is a cloudy gamboge orange with lots of champagne bubbles all over the place. Basically looks like a cloudy champagne. A huge foam cap hangs around with mental carbonation supporting it, but leaves no real lacing down the glass. I guess it looks alright, but doesn’t really look like a beer.

SMELL: This is a Belgian strong pale ale with champagne yeast. Pale malts, green apples, pears, and some white grapes are definitely there. White wine or champagne is obvious as well. The champagne yeast has definitely done a number on this one. It doesn't make me happy, but I can tollerate it at least.

TASTE: Definitely like some champagne and a Belgian strong pale met in a bar, had a few drinks, then got it on. Pale malts, apples, pears, and white wine. The finish is sweet and sour, with sweet pale malts and a champagne like sourness. Alcohol is definitely there, and the bold, lingering, sweet-sour aftertaste made me cringe the whole time. Just wretched. This is asking a lot of all three of us.

PALATE: Medium body and very carbonated, though that’s to be expected for this type of beer. Light, semi-creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a dry finish. This was the best part of the beer.

OVERALL: Let’s just say I’m glad my dad and brother were good sports about this. I didn’t want to open this myself, as I was pretty sure I wouldn’t get through very much of it. I was right. I finished half my glass, my brother made it through most of his, and my dad finished the rest of the bottle because he didn’t want to waste a drop of a €1 per ounce bottle of consumable liquid. This might be a well received style in parts of the world, and this beer might even fit that style well, but this is where I draw the line. I was really glad to see the show without paying the entry fee, but I hope I never share the same space with one of these bottles again. I also don’t want a bottle of this near my other beers. Honestly glad to try the beer though, so thanks again JohnnyBarman for biting the bullet on this one.

1.75/5  rDev -47.1%

I had very high hopes for this, as I'm sure many did, and I really wasn't put off by the mixed reviews. But woof.

What starts off as a kind of vaguely Belgian/Hefe fruity-nosed pale strong ale quickly gives way to some uncomfortably strange strawberry shortcake. While it may indeed by technically dry, the round mid-palate and lack of firm bitterness leaves an impression of lingering sweetness that doesn't work. All-in-all a disappointment... and then the bottle sat and warmed to something more approaching room temperature (somewhere in the cellar temperature range) and all hell broke loose. And by "hell" I mean "diacetyl." An awful, ruinous, buttery mess. Drank closer to fridge temp I could get this down and at least be intrigued by the mildly unpleasant but unique strangeness. Towards the end this was a drain pour. I might be being a bit kind with my scores, here, frankly.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)