Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros

Thanks Heatwave33!

2011 bottle.

Pour is light orange with huge head. Massively carbonated, but Id expect that.

Smell is different for sure. I get some citrus fruits. Loads and wheat and corn, and some white whine. Strong pineapple chunk smell.

The big thing I notice is how dry it is. It reminds of Tweason'ale with its dryness. Very dry up front, with some yeast coming out very, very quickly. I get the crisp wheat as well, along with airy corn. Sweet caramel notes come real late. The more I drink, the more I get the fruity esters from the yeast as well as some sweeter caramel early.

Theres so much going on; I think its just too damn busy for me. Itd be interesting to replace Champagne with this.

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

2010 vintage bottle from my cellar. When I had it fresh, it was unimpressive and certainly WAY overpriced. It was not a bad beer, but did not live up to the hype of the Boston Marketing Machine. Retasting to see if the cellaring helped at all.

A: big white champagne-like head settles quickly, clear deep gold color

S: bready, floral, not much complexity

T: again bready and floral with not much else

M: creamy

O: a reasonable quaffing beer, but definitely not the highly hyped champagne replacement for New Years Eve

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into a few pilsner glasses on new years - very aggressive carbonation roils and boils in these glasses putting up a huge head on top of straw colored liquid - like champagne, but with incredible head retention - a nose of fruity esters - apple/pear/banana - following thru in the taste - yes, it's like beer meets champagne - can't taste 10% abv - a little heavy on the tongue yet crisp due to the fizzy carbonation - it's ok and I'm glad to have tried it - interesting...

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt on New Years Eve because Sam Adams told me I had to and there was no chance I was going to kiss him. Poured into various tulips.

Beer is dark yellow with a slight haze, big head of medium and large bubbles that doesn't bother to stick around. Carbonation is moderate to high with bubbles forming at every nucleation point on the glass and rising through the beer quickly to see if the head was still there, as stated earlier, he bailed.

Aroma is slightly vegetal to me with some odd breadiness to it. Perhaps some cloves or mild spiciness to it...some pilsen sweetness as well.

I know my score is going to end up higher than the standard on this beer and I'm not sure why. I did not like this beer as much as I had hoped, but I also did not like Deus as much as I hoped either. A lot of the things I didn't like about Deus were also present in this beer so this may be a style that I can easily avoid in the future...but I didn't think it was terrible. Definitely not a repeat but definitely not a drain pour. Beer was mildly sweet with a pretty strong / odd yeastiness to it in the midpalate and a harsher dry / bitter finish on the end that lended itself to an unpleasant aftertaste. Really not my bag.

3.47/5  rDev +7.4%

Big thanks to a predominantly non-drinking buddy of mine for bringing me a bottle of this to sporadically and uncharacteristically share with him. Poured into an AVBC snifter.

A: Pour a clear dark apple juice color with just an amazingly beautiful billowingly thick bright white head that did not move at all for a full 5 minutes. Finally this epic head slowly started to collapse under its own weight into an extremely thick frothy head. Great head retention, super dense solid sheet of lace. Very impressive.
S: I can't quite place this one. I definitely has notes of fruits, at least apples. Maybe some pears, apricots and grapes. It's hard to tack down. I pick up some yeast as well. After it sits for a while I get sweet notes of over ripened bananas.
T: A lot bolder, richer and stronger than the nose let on. Lots of alcohol in this one with a strange flavor. I definitely get grapes in the aftertaste along with some of the yeast. Other notes include raisins, sweet crackery malt, and banana. Finish is lightly sour and has a touch of bitter hops.
M: Medium-full body with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel and a pretty potent punch of alcohol. Finish isn't really dry at all.
D: Not sure how I feel about this one, but I think I'm good with my half a bottle. This is my first of the style so it is hard to compare other beers to it, and I'm not sure I would ever buy this again. My non-beer drinking friend loved it oddly enough. Perhaps this is an expensive gateway beer to the craft? Who knows.

3.47/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

weird how little people like this, i thought it was pretty solid, although i had a bottle more than two years old. the pour was nothing special, cloudy and dull wheat color, looks like a hefe. the nose is crazy yeast, sweet booze, some strange fruity essences, and rotting wood. flavor is a little less disjointed than the nose, but the yeast is so weird it takes over. theres like a fermented peach or pear flavor to it, that works with the yeast. dry and stinging finish. i like the mouthfeel for what it is, smooth with an alcohol burn and more bubbles than most beers with this kind of age on them usually have. overall i think it probably missed the mark a little but, but its an ambitious brew with no shortage of complexity. i might pick up a newer bottle for the holidays, its got that kind of feel.

3.46/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

GLASS: Flute
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BEST BEFORE: July 2011

It's very pretty in the glass. It has a medium amber color to it with light hints of golden orange and a touch of burnt sienna. A medium pour produces a head that is almost three-fingers thick. It is bone-white and very fluffy. It surprises me by hanging around for a few minutes. It recedes to a 1/16" surface covering film and leaves some nice, thick, strands of lacing.

Light notes of golden fruit sweetness. Very good presence of maltiness. A good deal of yeast and a slight trace of hops. It is somewhat reminiscent of a high-octane tripel.

Loads of pale and medium malt notes are all over this thing. Not really what I had prepared for. Very much towards the sweet side of the spectrum. Big hints of white grapes and 'golden delicious' apple flesh. No real hop bite or bitterness, but it does manage to finish quite dry. The malty sweetness and some spiciness come through right at the end as well, and manage to linger for a little while.
(If this were a champagne, it would be a spumante.)

This has a medium body and a high level of carbonation. It's filled with tons of tiny champagne bubbles. This help it stay lively, active and crisp, on your tongue. No real sense of creaminess, which I was somewhat expecting.

It's fairly easy-to-drink, yet too sweet to really want to. The bonus here is that for a 10.30%abv beer, it certainly doesn't show it. But you sure do feel it, effects-wise. It just sneaks up and slams you.
Very glad to have had the chance to try this one. It's not what I'd hoped for from such a collaboration, but it's not horrible, either. I'm already hoping that if they collaborate again (next year?), they make a different beer than this one. I'd buy a bottle again, if it's the same, but I'd rather that it was different.

3.46/5  rDev +7.1%

Fills ¾ of the Infinium flute glass with a creamy white head that turns to a meringue as it slowly recedes, leaving behind a webbing of lace. The beer itself is a slightly hazy golden amber with streaming bubbles as promised.

The nose is fruity and closer to a sour than anticipated. Some solvents up front, but mostly peppery, followed by pineapple and mango.

Some sharp acidity, similar to a dry white wine. The wheat is clearly present as is the yeast as the fruitiness subsides. A long, dry finish, with some herbal pops. Becomes fruity again with warmth.

Heavy to medium body with high alcohol as expected but not hot. There is a light astringency in its dryness. Lively carbonation.

A good event beer, Infinium would do better with less hype. This said, quite enjoyable and definitely improves with warmth.

3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

S: Malty sweetness, some honey, some bread and floral hops.

L: Crystal clear burnt yellow, white effervescent head that dissipates.

T: Honey and malty sweet with a very effervescent fruity mild bitterness. A grapey almost winey note borderong on grain alcohol is present. Spicy on the backbone.

M: Very highly carbonated, medium bodied.

Interesting beer, very unique. That said, not very impressive, almost malt liquor like. Glad i tried it, but i wouldn't have it again.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)