Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,115 | Reviews: 515
2.24/5  rDev -30.9%

Is it a beer?
Is it champagne?

While crisp and fruity our taste buds were confused! 1000 years of experience and 2 years in the making and this is the best you could do? I guess purity laws are no guarantee of great taste. A waste of Noble hops. Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a superior brew.

I am now sorry we bought 2 bottles. This is very expensive for a lousy beer/champagne.
To Infinium and beyond!

2.23/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance- Poured into a flute. Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head, quickly dispating. No lacing was left, lots of active carbonation.

Smell- light fruit notes, some banana. Champagne like yeast, not as fruity though.

Taste- Very plain. Light fruit notes and some grainy alcohol. Not as fruity as a decent chamapagne and not as dry either. A bit buttery even. People had compared this to a malt liquor and I thought that was a bit extreme, but after tasting it, that is a pretty accurate descriptor.

Mouthfeel- Very light body, high carbonation. Made me burp a ton.

Overall- Weinstephaner is great, Sam Adams is if nothing more respectable for what they have done for the craft beer movement, but this beer was a big time fail for me. Glad I got to try, but would not drink it agian or recomend it. It is expensive, but I would gladly pay even more for a bottle of DEUS.

2.22/5  rDev -31.5%

Picked up a bottle for my birthday / New Year celebration. The presentation on this beer is far better than it's contents. Very elegant, black 750ml botte. Laser etched label, foiler wrapper, cork n' cage, info booklet attached with shiny rubber band.

The beer pops with the pressure of a bottle of champagne. Pours a pale golden color, some big white bubble that fizz out quickly.

Aroma is interesting, oaky, grassy, hay bail, wet cardboard.

Full-bodied, highly carbonated brew fizziness tingles the palate and leaves some slickness.

Taste is not very good. Very faint sweetness up front that is washed away quickly by a yeasty mustiness, a lot of oak flavors coming through here, almost tastes infected.

The brew finishes dry with an aftertaste of heartburn.

Really this beer is not very good. I am disappointed I was expecting much more considering the price. As homebrewer, if I brewed this, I would not serve it.

Boom!

2.22/5  rDev -31.5%

Beautiful 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a hazy gold, with a couple of fingers of off-white head that recedes quickly to a thin cap. Nice lacing.

S - Strange aromas - a mix of wheat, dark sugar, and something that reminds me of vegetable soup. Nothing like I'd expected, and not very pleasant.

T - More of the same. Heavy elements of grain and maybe corn. A slight sweetness around the edges. The only thing saving it is the very short dry finish. But it also has a dark aftertaste that is almost as bad.

M - Great carbonation, but not as light as some bubbly that I've had.

D - The flavors coupled with the high abv make this a certain one-and-done. Not a drain-pour, but I'm struggling to finish the (large) bottle.

O - Factoring in the price, this is certainly a disappointment, as others have noted. The presentation is very nice, but the beer doesn't live up to it.

2.22/5  rDev -31.5%

Bottle. Have had this one chillin in the fridge for a long time, kinda one of those beers that gets lost in the way back. Not sure what to expect out of it at this time. Gives a nice pop when opened and pours a slightly hazed pale straw yellow color with a bone white head. The nose is, well, interesting and reminds me of a mix between provolone/swiss cheese and old apples. Maybe some bready quality as well. The taste is, well, interesting too. Cheese, apple, some pear, wheat biscuit, and a slight yeast note. Mouthfeel is light/medium. Overall, a let down. This had potential but it just doesn’t come together very nicely. Nice bottle but the contents leaves a lot to be desired. blah

2.18/5  rDev -32.7%

first beer of 2011
A: poured into a champagne goblet, with a finger of head, pale yellow body.
S: exactly like a stick of butter, i hate putting a something down like this but its just weird.
T: butter again, i feel horrible that this was an Christmas gift to my father, id rather have a stick of butter. there are barely any hops. overall its butterscotch.
M: very bubbly, sticks to the palate.
D: it may be drain poured, ive had better higher carbonated beers. this is just weird. overall its way to buttery. the bottle art is the only thing i give an A

2.18/5  rDev -32.7%

This has to be one of the most disappointing beers of all time.

Poured a clear amber. Bubbly - no question about it.

Nose was much fruiter & maltier than expected.

Taste: When you drop $20 on on a corked & caged .750 that's marketed as champagne-like, then pop the cork at 12:01 AM on Jan 1, you expect a dry, bubbly, geueze-like experience. This was malty - a little caramely, with an unpleasant presence of diacytal.

Mouthfeel was not objectionable

But drinkability suffered so badly due to the taste that my son & I LEFT half the $20 beer in the bottle and moved on to a De Ranke XX Bitter. I had already suffered my wife's complaint that I spent $20 on a beer, then to not even be able to finish it!

2.1/5  rDev -35.2%

Slightly hazy orange amber with a pure white head.

Very sweet cooked sugared banana nose with undertones of pear/peach and cooked sweet lemon. Good; not as good as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is lightly fizzy from Champagne yeast but not as carbonated or fizzy as Champange; elegant but a bit to "fuzzy" than "fizzy." (Taste it...you'll "get it.")

Flavor profile is just not appealing. There is a dull, lightly sour, lightly sweet apricot flavor that is more "spoiled" apricot than fresh/bright apricot. There is an almost sour flavor profile but there is also underlying malt and carmel undertones. I get the impression that this one is not quite sure what it wants to be and simply misses on all counts.

Finish is a dull sour/bitter old apricot character.

An example where a collaboration just didn't work. The ball was really dropped on this one. I had to force myself to take multiple tastes and the finish was such that I couldn't wait to get to the water. Just my thoughts. Price is not even relevant to the fact that I simply could not drink this beer, be it the $26 price tag on my bottle or be it a $1.69 a bottle; this one was just not for me.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%

A friend of mine popped this open New Years Eve at our favorite watering hole.

I wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed when that was delivered.

Had a decent appearance, very buubbly. Smelled sweet, tasted sweet, no hops and there was something in the background that was very off-putting. The mouthfeel was appropriate.

The bottle looks cool though.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Has a hazy orangish-amber color like an IPA with a tremendous head that never quits and leaves behind huge loops of lacing on the inside of the glass. If nothing else, at least it's a damn pretty beer.

The aroma is mostly of candied pineapple, with lesser amounts of partially spoiled mushy pears, green apples, and a sort of medicinal white wine aspect that wafts up at me like swamp gas. I'm starting to regret how much money I spent on this one...

Tastes of all the elements from the aroma, but with more sour / rotten apple emphasis, and a return of oddball medicinal / vinous aspects that are even *worse* than the nose had me expect.

And the body is just fine. Spritzey, medium body. High carbonation. Too bad it tastes and smells bad.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Overall: Though I can understand and appreciate the idea behind Samuel Adams and Weihenstephan's collaboration, Infinium does not work. Its unbalanced character makes it undrinkable past the first sample--it's as if someone filled half your glass with a pale ale, topped you off with champagne, blasted it with CO2 and wished you good luck. If you want to celebrate with champagne, buy real champagne.

Appearance: Deep amber with a heavy head. Thin lace left on the rim of the glass. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: Apple; chlorine; wine; cinnamon.

Taste: Sudsy water with an afterthought of apple juice. Leaves an undesirable stale taste, like waking up the next morning with beer on your breath.

Mouthfeel: Acidic and heavy on the carbonation, like pop soda.

Sampled from a flute glass.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Wow. I really wanted to like this beer.

A - really looked great. Made me want to drink it. Pale orange/amber with a lingering head. Very fine bubbles.

S - I literally winced. Some sort of rotting apricots mixed with cheese or bread or.... Not sure.

T - not good. Sorry. I hate even writing this. It tastes like some sort of weird blend of off apricots, Belgian triple and salt (yes salt).

M - admittedly hard to judge given the taste. That said, a little heavy, despite the finer bubbles which were the best part.

O- I enjoy and appreciate beer. I believe I have had nearly everything and I respect the different styles. I have to say that I had infinium 2 years ago and it was much better. Not world class, but much better. Back then I was thinking "Wow, this beer has potential". Sorry to say I may have tasted it at its best back then.

2.01/5  rDev -38%

Like many, consumed when the ball dropped on New Year's Eve.

A = Medium orange in color, with massive amounts of carbonation. Big white bubbly, frothy head adorns with bits of lacing.

S = Sweet, malty, earthy, astringent, herbal, slight citrus, medicinal.

T = Cloying sweetness, with some stale orange notes, slightly tart, with stale herbal hop medicine.

M = Medium in body, too creamy, lacked the feel of all that carbonation that seemed present on the pour. I'm not a champagne drinker, but I know there's an effervescent quality, and none of that was there. Carbonated syrup.

D = The sweetness was cloying, neither the taste nor aroma really melded, and I just couldn't finish my glass. I couldn't drink it again.

I love Sam Adams, but this was awful.

2.01/5  rDev -38%

A Golden copper one finger off white head. Doesn't stick around but leaves a frothy top.

S Slightly grassy, a little musty, by of biscuit and a light citrus note. Weird bit of metal smell. Syrup.

T Obvious booze in the middle an the end with a sharpness up front. Definitely sweet and caramelly over a bready backbone. Apple and lemons. Lingering sweetness.

M Sharp all over with almost cloying sweetness especially in the finish. Tingling feeling left for a minute or two.

O Rather big beer, too sweet and boozy. There are underlying notes that seem to save it at moments, but generally not enough. I was quite disappointed by this beer. Not what I expected.

2.01/5  rDev -38%

Pours a deep, golden yellow with yellow highlights. Has a very thick white head that slowly thins up and has minimal lacing.

Has a sweet smell with strong notes of white grapes and floral hops, with a hint peach and a slight touch of spice and alcohol. There's just something off about it though. The aroma as a whole kind of smells like a bag of cheap fruit snacks.

It tastes like a bad champagne. There are flavors of yeast and spice, with a little bit of hop bitterness, but the fruit flavors really dominate, much to the beers detriment. The one thing I have to give it credit for is the alcohol level is very well hidden. For a 10% beer, there is absolutely no bite at all.

Medium body, which feels surprisingly heavy. The carbonation level is way too high as well. At times, its almost feels frothy. The aftertaste is none too pleasant, and it lingers for quite a while.

Overall, there really isn't much redeeming about this beer aside from the excellent packaging. With such a high price tag (I paid $20), there's no reason not to look elsewhere.

Bottle from the local liquor shop.The beer comes in a beautiful bottle.
Look: The beer pours a clear pale-amber-yellow color with a nice fluffy white head.
Smell: Very sweet malts, corn, fruits (tropical mango, pineapple, banana), yesat.
Taste: Sweet and boozy. Caramel, malts, sugar and added ethanol. Crisp in the end. Extremely unbalanced brew.
Mouthfeel: High carbonation, sharp on the tongue, very thin body.
Overall: What a horrible beer. The bottle is great, but better not put the contents in next time. How dare they to ask 16 euro for this…. This is not a biere brut, go to the masters and learn how to brew this style (like DeuS)

1.98/5  rDev -38.9%

Extra note- Be careful when opening the bottle. I could not get the cork out so I used a wine opener. I've done this before with no issues but the unique bottle neck completely broke and I'm very lucky I did not cut my hand.

A- Strong carbonation; Very clear/ dull yellow color. Very outstanding color and would match up well with champagne.

S- Slightly malty aroma, no discernible hop presence.

T- Very sweet and malty, has a slightly strange sour undertone and an overall awkward flavor profile. Just overall has a weird taste about it and I'm confused with what Boston Brewing was trying to accomplish with this beer. I love creativity and I certainly hope Boston Brewing keeps pushing with this beer and fine tuning it but overall it was a disappointment. My girlfriend and I split this and she could only drink a few sips. I got down a glass and a half but drain poured the rest.

M- Carbonated/Sweet

D- Very low. Much lower than expected but this beer is kind of a malty mess.

Overall- Very disappointed. This beer in many ways comes off undrinkable. On the good side, I appreciate Boston Brewing pushing the edges and trying to develop a new beer style. I am confident with additional tweaks and experience that they can pull this beer off.

1.98/5  rDev -38.9%

Picked this up for a Midnight toast on NYE. I was surprised when I found a bottle at the local Hannafords in Keene, NH last week.

It looked fine, very bubbly, a nice golden color. The aroma was really fruity and sweet, much more than I had anticipated. The taste was a let down to say the least. Of the four people who tried it, I was the only one who had more than one sip, and I only did because I felt like I had to after spending 20.00 on the bottle. I was expecting more of a beer taste than the really sweet, fruity champagne taste I had instead. To me the taste was all fruit and sweetness and nothing to balance against it. There was some malt aftertaste, but not enough. I ended up saving the bottle, but pouring the rest out.

This is my first review and I wanted it to be a positive one, but hopefully that will be the next one...I have a 12 pack of the Peak Organic sampler just waiting to be enjoyed!

1.97/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

180th review on BA
bottle to flute

Christmas presesnt to myself.

App- A very yellow pour with a large head that took a couple pours to get a normal 2 finger head to it. Bubbles for days dance up the glass.

Smell- A very weird smell on this beer. Almost outright butter. A little bit of hops with spice.

Drink- I am not a fan of this at all. I like a lot of Sam adams and Weihenstephan do. Not this one. It was bad. I think the style maybe the culprit but probably not. Just a bad beer.

Mouth- This is a medium body with a high carbonation.

Drink- I drain poured 20 bucks. Damn that sucks.

1.96/5  rDev -39.5%

What a shame.
The advertising made it look so promising.
Dark amber, extremely bubbly.
Fairly powerful smell of roasted malt and dark fruit.
The moment of truth where this beer fails is at first sip. It was vinegary, somewhat boozy, like a bad...very bad malt liquor. After letting it reach room temperature and allowed to "gas off" for about an hour the flavor has improved somewhat, but this stuff is really nothing more than highly carbonated King Kobra malt liquor in a wine bottle.
I can not imagine how anyone who claims to hate malt liquor could give this stuff a higher rating than a "D".
I would love to take some pretentious beerjerks aside and do a blind tasting with this stuff VS a few cheap malt liquors to expose some of those frauds for what they are.

1.95/5  rDev -39.8%

I was very excited to find a bottle of this. I heard some good reviews so I was greatly looking forward to drinking it. It was $39.99 so I was thinking it must be good. It was a 2011 bottle, todays date is 7-13-12.

It was very pretty when pouring, Kinda cloudy golden.

The smell was appealing, a little fruity tartness.

The taste was terrible, A sour punch right off the bat. Then the after taste is too pungent, like after you smoke a terrible cigar.

mouthfeel is actually good if you can get past the taste. easily drinkable. not a strong alcohol taste at all.

overall a terrible beer, would never recommend for enjoyment. I could of bought a 12 pack of Hopslam dammit.

1.86/5  rDev -42.6%

At first glance this beer looks fantastic. The fancy bottle, the extravagant head. All seemingly well.

Then the smell hits you, boozy, apples, caramel, and herbal. Not all that great..

Tasting at first I thought this beer is alright! Then I started tasting more and more, I slowly got very tired of the taste then almost sick in my stomach. I definitly won't try this again. I couldn't get through a glass. But this is just my experience, if I would have only had a taster glass I would have walked away saying this beer was pretty ok, maybe even great.

1.84/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Cracked open at midnight on NYE.

Pours a caramel color with inch of white head that quickly dissipated into nothing.

Smells bready and grainy with a big yeasty aroma. Spices galore as well.

Short version: bad. Taste follows the aroma, but the flavors are awful together. Very yeasty grainy with some out of whack spices. A little bit of apple tartness with some heavy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick and sweet with big champagne like carbonation levels. These two characteristics don't meld well.

Thought I'd try this in place of traditional champagne, but this was horrible. All kinds of clashing flavors leaving a bad aftertaste. Only place to go is up after this in 2012.

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Infinium has a bright golden/orange appearance with noticeable carbonation as the bubbles rise in the champagne glass I poured this in. Medicinal aroma mixed with some green apple and maybe some tropical fruits. Strange, almost chemical like flavor. Alcohol is very noticeable and seems much stronger than the listed 10%. Produces an almost burning sensation on the tongue as the carbonation comes to the forefront. Very disappointing collaboration between 2 normally strong breweries.

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

Reading threads and threads of criticism about this brew I was still unconvinced this was as bad as it sounded. I finally opened this bottle and found it was really not good at all.

The appearance was adequate, with healthy carbonation and healthy color.
Smelled terrible, similar to rotten compost and decomposed vegetable. Each whiff I took I shuddered at the thought of indulging it with my mouth.
One of the worst tastes I've had in a long time. The rotten vegetable taste persisted. The supremely unpleasant taste was overpowered overwhelmingly with the strong butterscotch flavor. The general consensus of this brew justified itself and I concluded that this is a failure.

It was borderline drinkable at the moment. But after finishing this 750 cc. behemoth myself I've experienced malaise and gastrointestinal discomfort for the following few days. I strongly discouraged anyone from partaking this, as this mighty Infinium is as undesirable as the general population's opinions.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)