Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012

silentjay, Dec 18, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

this beer pours a nice clear golden color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of lace. the aroma brings a lot of fruit and malt to the nose, the yeast esters add a nice element, the taste follows with a very rich fruity flavor up front, with a sweet dark fruit finish. the full mouthfeel and medium body make this less drinkable than your average champagne... but an interesting style.

almychristopher, Dec 29, 2010

athomasPSU, Sep 18, 2013

CummingsK21, Jan 02, 2012

imperialking, Jan 10, 2012

mcphish22, Jan 01, 2012

Poured into a snifter.

A - Copper with lots of carbonation

S - Flowery, sweet of fruit, and yes, it reminds one of champagne.

T - Very sweet (a little too much I think) and has a belgian style finish to it. Interesting.

M - I found the carbonation a bit much, and it is rough to drink this more than some sips at a time.

D - By the second glass I was done. Share the bottle among friends. All you need is a small sample ot enjoy.

It was interesting and a fun beer by SA. But not one I'd highly recommend.

socon67, Jan 01, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

2010 vintage bottle from my cellar. When I had it fresh, it was unimpressive and certainly WAY overpriced. It was not a bad beer, but did not live up to the hype of the Boston Marketing Machine. Retasting to see if the cellaring helped at all.

A: big white champagne-like head settles quickly, clear deep gold color

S: bready, floral, not much complexity

T: again bready and floral with not much else

M: creamy

O: a reasonable quaffing beer, but definitely not the highly hyped champagne replacement for New Years Eve

HamFon, Apr 14, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Aand weihenstephanndA: aggressively poured, this produced a billowing head. Pours a cystal clear golden color. No lacing. Looks great.
S: decently fragrant. I'm picking up on a lot of malt, but also a ton of citrus and some raisin. It's similar to champagne and reminiscent of a Belgian Tripel.
T: It's a tad muted compared to the smell, unlike a Tripel. It's quite vinious as I'm picking up some grape in place of what I believe was raisin before. It's not overly sweet or bitter, so it seems balanced, but nothing is truly remarkable.
M: highly carbonated with a dry champagne like finish. A nice bite and a minor aftertaste that is relatively pleasant.
O: this is not a bad beer at all. Considering the high abv, its really light and easy to drink. Not extremely flavorful, which is disappointing, but in no way bad. The beer is getting a bad rap because of the high price and hype and deservedly so, but its not too bad. Glad I tried it and a great effort considering Sam Adams and weihenstephan were trying to come up with something that has never been done.

Infamous7100, Jun 05, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into a few pilsner glasses on new years - very aggressive carbonation roils and boils in these glasses putting up a huge head on top of straw colored liquid - like champagne, but with incredible head retention - a nose of fruity esters - apple/pear/banana - following thru in the taste - yes, it's like beer meets champagne - can't taste 10% abv - a little heavy on the tongue yet crisp due to the fizzy carbonation - it's ok and I'm glad to have tried it - interesting...

JoeBloe, Jan 01, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Big thanks to a predominantly non-drinking buddy of mine for bringing me a bottle of this to sporadically and uncharacteristically share with him. Poured into an AVBC snifter.

A: Pour a clear dark apple juice color with just an amazingly beautiful billowingly thick bright white head that did not move at all for a full 5 minutes. Finally this epic head slowly started to collapse under its own weight into an extremely thick frothy head. Great head retention, super dense solid sheet of lace. Very impressive.
S: I can't quite place this one. I definitely has notes of fruits, at least apples. Maybe some pears, apricots and grapes. It's hard to tack down. I pick up some yeast as well. After it sits for a while I get sweet notes of over ripened bananas.
T: A lot bolder, richer and stronger than the nose let on. Lots of alcohol in this one with a strange flavor. I definitely get grapes in the aftertaste along with some of the yeast. Other notes include raisins, sweet crackery malt, and banana. Finish is lightly sour and has a touch of bitter hops.
M: Medium-full body with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel and a pretty potent punch of alcohol. Finish isn't really dry at all.
D: Not sure how I feel about this one, but I think I'm good with my half a bottle. This is my first of the style so it is hard to compare other beers to it, and I'm not sure I would ever buy this again. My non-beer drinking friend loved it oddly enough. Perhaps this is an expensive gateway beer to the craft? Who knows.

scottfrie, Dec 21, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt on New Years Eve because Sam Adams told me I had to and there was no chance I was going to kiss him. Poured into various tulips.

Beer is dark yellow with a slight haze, big head of medium and large bubbles that doesn't bother to stick around. Carbonation is moderate to high with bubbles forming at every nucleation point on the glass and rising through the beer quickly to see if the head was still there, as stated earlier, he bailed.

Aroma is slightly vegetal to me with some odd breadiness to it. Perhaps some cloves or mild spiciness to it...some pilsen sweetness as well.

I know my score is going to end up higher than the standard on this beer and I'm not sure why. I did not like this beer as much as I had hoped, but I also did not like Deus as much as I hoped either. A lot of the things I didn't like about Deus were also present in this beer so this may be a style that I can easily avoid in the future...but I didn't think it was terrible. Definitely not a repeat but definitely not a drain pour. Beer was mildly sweet with a pretty strong / odd yeastiness to it in the midpalate and a harsher dry / bitter finish on the end that lended itself to an unpleasant aftertaste. Really not my bag.

drabmuh, Jan 03, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Enjoying this with some friends.Doesn't quite live up to expectations. Neck tags says best before July '11 & we don't disagree. Poured with a very frothy, off white head that soon settled down to a ring. Color is a slightly hazy amber with loads of big bubble trails. Aroma is yeasty, fruity, malt, grass. Flavor's similar to nose but has some tartness that we're not sure is supposed to be there. Body is good and carbonation is fabulous. Finish is like flavor, of average length a little alcohol warmth, and leaves me ready for another swig despite its strength.

drpimento, Nov 16, 2011
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

weird how little people like this, i thought it was pretty solid, although i had a bottle more than two years old. the pour was nothing special, cloudy and dull wheat color, looks like a hefe. the nose is crazy yeast, sweet booze, some strange fruity essences, and rotting wood. flavor is a little less disjointed than the nose, but the yeast is so weird it takes over. theres like a fermented peach or pear flavor to it, that works with the yeast. dry and stinging finish. i like the mouthfeel for what it is, smooth with an alcohol burn and more bubbles than most beers with this kind of age on them usually have. overall i think it probably missed the mark a little but, but its an ambitious brew with no shortage of complexity. i might pick up a newer bottle for the holidays, its got that kind of feel.

StonedTrippin, Nov 11, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Fills ¾ of the Infinium flute glass with a creamy white head that turns to a meringue as it slowly recedes, leaving behind a webbing of lace. The beer itself is a slightly hazy golden amber with streaming bubbles as promised.

The nose is fruity and closer to a sour than anticipated. Some solvents up front, but mostly peppery, followed by pineapple and mango.

Some sharp acidity, similar to a dry white wine. The wheat is clearly present as is the yeast as the fruitiness subsides. A long, dry finish, with some herbal pops. Becomes fruity again with warmth.

Heavy to medium body with high alcohol as expected but not hot. There is a light astringency in its dryness. Lively carbonation.

A good event beer, Infinium would do better with less hype. This said, quite enjoyable and definitely improves with warmth.

SLeffler27, Jan 15, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation is wonderful. Caged, corked and foiled, and a tag that suggests a best of for July 2012.

A - Poured into a flute. Pours a lovely honey color. Fluffy looking head of about an inch, but with little retention and no lacing.

S - Crisp alcohol, mild yeast. Meh.

T - Very sweet, with a pear fruitiness. Kinda bready and a little bitter at the finish. Very reminiscent of white wine.

M - Dry, with very excited carbonation. Prickly.

O - At $18, it's a bit hard to justify getting this again. While not entirely off, it's out of my spectrum. I don't mind having this as a birthday beer, but it's difficult to approach.

madeofsteel, Apr 01, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 version, a 750ml caged, corked, and foiled champagne simulacrum bottle. 'Tis my anniversary with my better half, and this popping up on the local beer store shelves obviates the need to open up that dusty bottle of vintage grape bubbly I have kicking around. And only 18 Canuck bucks at retail - sounds like a steal after those earlier mentions of costs stateside.

This beer pours a lightly hazed, frigid-looking golden apple juice colour (very reminiscent of white ice wine), with a teeming, near-overflowing column of loose foamy beige head, which settles at an agreeable pace, leaving some random streaks of chalky lace around the glass on the way.

It smells of sweet grain, dry bready crackers, muddled, reserved citrus, earthy yeast, and leafy hops. The taste is much more about the caramel malt - toffee, a bit of butterscotch, a solid nondescript black fruitiness, and some mild yeast, all push things into Belgian Strong Pale Ale territory. Leafy, softly citric hops lend an air of balance, and only a slight booze warming emanates from deep down below.

The carbonation is crisp, for sure, and fairly light, although it does seem to persist longer than you might expect, which tamps down the otherwise strong candidacy for a medium body weight. That same crispness also goes somewhat prickly, and is consequently smoothness-damping. It finishes sweet, as the bubbles taper off - caramel and candy sugar, amongst some musty hoppiness.

Well, not exactly all that akin to that famous Gallic bubbly offering, is it? More like painting the right carbonation onto a strong Belgian pale ale. So, while still perfectly drinkable ("it's like Chimay with more bubbles" - thanks, hon - you pretty much nailed it), the subtleties of the best of this weird hybrid style are lost in the mire here. It does do one other Champagne-esque thing well though - the wine level booze sneaks up on you, well hidden as it is.

biboergosum, Feb 05, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

S: Malty sweetness, some honey, some bread and floral hops.

L: Crystal clear burnt yellow, white effervescent head that dissipates.

T: Honey and malty sweet with a very effervescent fruity mild bitterness. A grapey almost winey note borderong on grain alcohol is present. Spicy on the backbone.

M: Very highly carbonated, medium bodied.

Interesting beer, very unique. That said, not very impressive, almost malt liquor like. Glad i tried it, but i wouldn't have it again.

bum732, Jan 16, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Sam Adams and Weihenstephan collaborated on this champagne style beer for a second year in a row.

I had the 2011 version at the Brewery's launch party tonight.

ABV = 10.3%

The beer comes in a beautiful 25.4 oz. (750 ml) caged and corked bottle. It pours out gold into a champagne glass. It has a huge head and great lacing. It is very bubbly as you would expect with a champagne style beverage. It is very much improved over last year, and is more well rounded than last year.

seanwhite, Nov 18, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep hazy golden color with an enourmous fluffy head. The head gives way to a skim and leaves gobs and stings of lace up and down the glass. The aroma is of sweet malt, honey, clove and a slight grassy aroma. The aroma is slightly faint. The taste follows suit with a sweet malt backbone before honey and clove flavors come through. There is also a presence of grapes and citrus along with a slight grassy hop bite. Complex but not strong. The mouthfeel was very carbonated and dry. Overall it was a decent beer, I'm glad I had it but not sure how many more I would get.

goblue3509, Dec 10, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +6.8%

A chilled bottle of the 2011 edition, poured into a Champagne flute.

The beer has the color of tarnished gold and is translucent. Many streams of tiny bubbles rise up from the bottom of the glass, much like sparkling wine. A head of off white bubbles rests on top. Very little lacing is left behind. Swirling the glass produces a good amount of film and foam, but it all slides back down into the body of the beer.

It seems to me that this glassware doesn't really focus the aroma very well, as there isn't much to smell here. I can pick up some earthy hops and yeast, but that's about it.

This beer has an interesting malt flavor...it's maltier than I expected, but I thought it may taste like Champagne, so what do I know? The malts are slightly biscuity, but evoke images of darker breads than the typical white biscuit. Some alcohol is tasted in the finish and after I swallow. There is an interesting spice that I can taste, but since this beer adheres to the German Purity Law, the flavor must be a by-product of the malt or yeast; no matter, I still like the spice, even if I can't put my finger on exactly what it tastes like.

The body is a little heavier than I expected, but the carbonation is spot on: very high. In fact, if I let the beer rest in my mouth before swallowing, it feels like all the liquid turns into bubbles. It isn't a pleasant experience. My lips are left slightly sticky, but there isn't much sticking in my mouth. Plenty of malty flavor is left behind though.

I find this to be an interesting beer. It's unlike other beers I've had, and it's certainly not a sparkling wine. Perhaps there is some justification to the claim that they created a new style of beer when they brewed Inifinium. Anyway, I'm glad I've tried this, but I wouldn't purchase an entire bottle for myself. If you are headed to a party with a bunch of beer drinkers, bringing a bottle to share would be a good idea.

ToasterChef, Jan 01, 2012
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2011 bottle well chilled poured into a wine glass.

A: Cloudy orange/red brew with a head that quickly settles to nothing but a tiny ring of bubbles.

S: A mix of dark fruits and citrus fruits. I smell a tiny bit of caramel in there along with honey.

T: Very fruity and tangy. Somewhere between cider and beer, definite apple flavors. A bit of pale and caramel malt. Interesting hints of spice.

M: Well carbonated, very big bodied.

An interesting beer, worth trying, but not something I'd want to drink often.

maxk, Feb 16, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served unto a tulip, vintage bottle was given to me Christmas 2010 but poured on December 28th,2011.

Appearance: Seriously looks good, gold-amber. Slightly cloudy head is thick but not a lot which is good. Maybe a 1/2" white head.

Smell: As my g/f states it "screams mandarin orange". I wasn't expecting it to come off like this. Believe me, it is potent but not indulging.

Taste: This is a complex beer, might come off to soda to some but not bad. I mean seriously this is your strong ale mixed with oranges best way carbonation I could describe it.

Mouth: Heavy carbonation, not bad but I have had worse.

Overall: Some say champagne, some say soda....I say good. It is complex, maybe a little sweet...heavy carbonation bubbles through out your mouth. I say try it...you can't trust the reviews till you trust your own your own judgement. Cheers!

BlurryVisi0n, Dec 29, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

GLASS: Flute
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BEST BEFORE: July 2011

It's very pretty in the glass. It has a medium amber color to it with light hints of golden orange and a touch of burnt sienna. A medium pour produces a head that is almost three-fingers thick. It is bone-white and very fluffy. It surprises me by hanging around for a few minutes. It recedes to a 1/16" surface covering film and leaves some nice, thick, strands of lacing.

Light notes of golden fruit sweetness. Very good presence of maltiness. A good deal of yeast and a slight trace of hops. It is somewhat reminiscent of a high-octane tripel.

Loads of pale and medium malt notes are all over this thing. Not really what I had prepared for. Very much towards the sweet side of the spectrum. Big hints of white grapes and 'golden delicious' apple flesh. No real hop bite or bitterness, but it does manage to finish quite dry. The malty sweetness and some spiciness come through right at the end as well, and manage to linger for a little while.
(If this were a champagne, it would be a spumante.)

This has a medium body and a high level of carbonation. It's filled with tons of tiny champagne bubbles. This help it stay lively, active and crisp, on your tongue. No real sense of creaminess, which I was somewhat expecting.

It's fairly easy-to-drink, yet too sweet to really want to. The bonus here is that for a 10.30%abv beer, it certainly doesn't show it. But you sure do feel it, effects-wise. It just sneaks up and slams you.
Very glad to have had the chance to try this one. It's not what I'd hoped for from such a collaboration, but it's not horrible, either. I'm already hoping that if they collaborate again (next year?), they make a different beer than this one. I'd buy a bottle again, if it's the same, but I'd rather that it was different.

coldmeat23, Jan 02, 2011
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)