Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,115 | Reviews: 515
2.87/5  rDev -11.4%

I appreciate this beer because donkeyrunner gave it to me. I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time now.
Poured into a tulip glass at 41 degrees.
Appearance: a 3 finger head that was slightly off white, foamy, and bubbly. The head had fair retention. The color of the beer is a medium orange color with a reddish yellow tint. The clarity of the beer is cloudy probably from the yeast. Some carbonation is still visible with this two year old beer.
Nose: The alcohol is present followed by the malt aroma. The malt is toasty, caramel, and has a biscuit note. The champagne yeast leads to a Belgian style aroma in the notes. Other aromas in the beer are citrus, vanilla, green apple, and a slight barnyard note.
Taste: A brute champagne flavor is predominate on the palate. The malt is lightly toasted with grass, grain, and caramel notes. Other flavors in the beer are floral, citrus, vanilla, and a barnyard funk.
Mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, slightly astringent, sour, and crisp.
Overall: The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium. This is one unique beer. Although there is really not a lot going on in the beer it presents differently on the palate versus other styles. I really think this beer could have been much better that what it was. I am glad I got to try it though!

3.71/5  rDev +14.5%

Brewed by Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan.
Amber-orange color, a lot of faom, creamy. Very fizzy.
Malt and honey in the smell, along with peach, raisins, pineapple, figs perhaps.
In the mouth againmalt, but with fizzy effects of dried flowers from the strong carbonation. Fresh flowery and fruity notes.
Champagne beer, better in the mouth than at the nose.
Inthe aftertaste some pear, and an interesting yeast note, quite long.
The alcohol is absolutely well hidden.

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

Thanks (I guess. . . well I didn't have to buy, so it had that going for it) to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2012.

Dark yellow pour with lots of haze. Weird head formation, lots of carbonation, but they never amount to anything that retains itself, its just upward effervesence that drifts off into the atmosphere. Aroma was floral pungency, like cheap perfume where the alcohol is really prominent and aged on soaked rotting wood.

Taste, ugh, alcohol still really prominent, and not in a nice warming kind of way. Some wheat mouthfeel if you can hack through the alcohol. Coriander used with a heavy hand. Slight banana yeast flavor. Plenty bready. Lots of pale malt. Sweetness as if it was a corn based malt liquor moreso than whatever the hell it really is. A hodgepodge of stuff. Mostly terrible stuff.

What is really appalling is the price tag on these, they're still sitting at $19.99 in Reno, at the end of 2012. Would never buy at a price tag above $1.

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L – Cloudy pale amber color with a huge 7-finger cream-colored bubbly head. Great retention and nice lacing. Tons of bubbles.

S – The smell of champagne is apparent along with sour apples and peppery yeast. Kind of a conglomerate of aromas, but it smells alright.

T – This may be the first beer that I’ve had in which I have absolutely no idea what’s going on – and not in a good way. I’m getting sour apples and grapes, sweet bready malt, spicy peppery yeast, dry champagne, and buttery diacetyl. I have no idea how this style is supposed to taste, but this can’t be it.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with tons of carbonation, a buttery mouthfeel, and a spicy, dry, and somewhat astringent finish. Tart grape lingers for a little bit.

O – This beer is not good. Like I said, I have no idea what this style is supposed to resemble, but this can’t be it. I tend to review beers based on how they fit their given style. This means that even if I’m not a fan of a given style, a beer can still get high marks. That said, this beer is downright offensive. I can’t imagine that an entire style would be offensive to me. There have been very, very few beers that I have had trouble finishing. This is one of them, even with splitting the bottle with someone. Very disappointing, especially given the price tag and the reputations of the collaborating breweries.

3.47/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

weird how little people like this, i thought it was pretty solid, although i had a bottle more than two years old. the pour was nothing special, cloudy and dull wheat color, looks like a hefe. the nose is crazy yeast, sweet booze, some strange fruity essences, and rotting wood. flavor is a little less disjointed than the nose, but the yeast is so weird it takes over. theres like a fermented peach or pear flavor to it, that works with the yeast. dry and stinging finish. i like the mouthfeel for what it is, smooth with an alcohol burn and more bubbles than most beers with this kind of age on them usually have. overall i think it probably missed the mark a little but, but its an ambitious brew with no shortage of complexity. i might pick up a newer bottle for the holidays, its got that kind of feel.

Thanks to Ben for sharing this one with me. Vintage 2011.

Glowing orange color with a foamy tan head.

Lots of citrus juice and zest in the nose. Orange juice and peel.

Huge citrus taste. Orange juice, some lemon and grapefruit. Citrus fruit juice sweetness. Tastes like Surly Syx without the huge boozy burn. Wonderful flavor.

Medium feel, mildly dry, somewhat juicy also. Carbonation is ho hum.

Really enjoyed this beer. Doesn't really fit the style in my opinion, but the overall product is wonderful. Drinks more like a beer in the 6-7% range.

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: It pours a dark copper body with a large amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet malts, alcohol, sour grapes, and maybe a hint of apple can be detected. Nothing becomes more noticeable as the beer warms except maybe the booze.

Taste: It sort of follows the nose. There is a sweet fruity taste up front followed by a punch of grape juice and alcohol in the aftertaste. There is a decent balance but the "beer" tastes are only barely recognizable. It reminds me more of a full bodied white wine.

Mouth feel: The large amount of carbonation creates an extremely dry and spicy sensation in the throat. This is probably the most interesting part of this brew.

Overall: This is an interesting experiment but I do not think I would buy it again. It is certainly not horrible but it does not taste or feel like a beer. It came off as an easy to drink champagne and it really was not by cup of tea...er...beer.

4.05/5  rDev +25%

Ahh, about time I got a bottle of this. Weihenstephan is one of my favorites, and Sam Adams is highly regarded in my life concerning craft beer, so hearing about them collaborating on a budget-priced champagne beer seems like a match made in heaven. Was happy to get this bottle as a gift, especially considering that these are getting harder to find. Poured into a Blanche de Chambly "champagne" glass out of a beautiful looking 750ml bottle. States the year "2011" on the neck.

As expected, pours a highly carbonated, yet amber bronze color, which was definitely not expected. Fresher batches appear to be more golden in color, but this quickly reveals itself to be a product that combines aspects of these two breweries. There's a glowing, yeasty form towards the end, with enormous alcohol leggings. This, as well as a fantastic head that sadly dies down after a few minutes, makes this a near perfect looking beer in this style.

Aromas are instantly strong and noticeable. Immediately, I get caramelized flavors that criss-cross with each other in truly exaggerated ways, such as banana, burnt caramel, toffee malts, and tons of honey. So, in other words, extremely sweet and sugared up. While this is usually a danger territory for me, I believe the aging has played a valuable process on the beer. Malts persevere, but it's really the alcohol and yeasty flavor that get me here. Hops are pretty much inexistent, and theres barely a hint of spiciness as a result. How will this all hold up in flavor? Le's see.

The first thing I can say in a first sip is that it's smooth, and extremely easy to drink as a result. The aging process has really played a significant role here, and it contains the smoothness of liquored, highly alcoholic malty beers I've had in the past. Overall, the caramelized banana flavors abound, but there are other sweet flavors, which range in and out from a pleasant to rather astringent degree, depending how big of a sip you take. What this reminds me of is a Like a fruity crème brûlée, typically one packed with such banana flavors. I do wish, if trying to be a true emulation of champagne that this had more of a Belgian yeasty flavor resembling white grapes, but I suppose I'll have to try DeuS one day! Definitely better consumed when very cold… As this warms up, the sweet flavors get really oppressive. Alcohol is highly hidden, which made this deadly to drink – I sipped my two glasses I had, but that was enough to do some significant damage, and I'm glad I got to split this (one glass would have been enough).

While I was really hesitant to try this – which I did *before* I read all the mixed to negative feedback – this still proved to be a type of beer that I've never had before. It's extremely complex, and contains tons of subtle aspects to it as well, but it's unique in its own right. As someone who loves bananas and caramel, this turns out to be rather brilliant, even if it is pricey. I would recommend it as a gift and with autumn around, it's toasty enough for the current cold weather. I can tell these two breweries put their hearts into this one, and while it may not be the greatest beer I've had, it's definitely one of the most fascinating I'll have for now.

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

Pretty much the same as what everyone else is saying, this is definitely a novelty beer. Split a bottle with someone and we both had the 'what did we just drink' attitude. A beer/champagne cross that kinda works but kinda doesn't work. I feel it could be the start of something better but in this form, it's just all over the place. I really enjoyed that amount of carbonation, very unique but the taste/smell just didn't live up to expectations. I'd recommend trying this if you have a few friends around to share the novelty of it. As far as drinking a whole bottle yourself, good luck.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Original batch from 2010

A: Medium amber pour with a big fizzy white head. Fades fairly quickly, leaving just a few dots behind.

S: Some overripe tropical fruit. Pineapple, apples and oranges? Some sort of mustiness to it. A bit bready.

T: Musty stale bread and lots of overripe fruit. Tart fruit, really. Odd yeastiness kicks in the middle. Finishes with a dry white wine flourish.

M: Medium bodied, fairly heavy carbonation makes it feel lighter than 10.3%

O: Very unique beer, I will give it that. Unfortunately, not in a particularly good way. It's some sort of strange crossbreed between beer and champagne, as I suppose the name implies. Lots of wine characteristics which just don't go. Tastes mostly like spoiled fruit unfortunately. I drained pour it after a few ounces. Not completely offensive but not remotely enjoyable either.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Has a hazy orangish-amber color like an IPA with a tremendous head that never quits and leaves behind huge loops of lacing on the inside of the glass. If nothing else, at least it's a damn pretty beer.

The aroma is mostly of candied pineapple, with lesser amounts of partially spoiled mushy pears, green apples, and a sort of medicinal white wine aspect that wafts up at me like swamp gas. I'm starting to regret how much money I spent on this one...

Tastes of all the elements from the aroma, but with more sour / rotten apple emphasis, and a return of oddball medicinal / vinous aspects that are even *worse* than the nose had me expect.

And the body is just fine. Spritzey, medium body. High carbonation. Too bad it tastes and smells bad.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

2011 bottling according to the foil at the top and poured into a champagne flute

A: pours a light gold at the thickest part of the glass but a deep yellow toward the bottom where it is thinner with a couple fingers of white head with modest retention. very effervescent in appearance with a constant stream of bubbles
S: kinda odd as this one has a honey like sweetness with a large dose of slightly tart grape aroma.
T: malty and sweet. slight vinous and fruity quality in the middle with a bit more of that slight grape flavor toward the end and after the swallow.
M: tons of carbonation as expected but not exactly what one would call thin, dry finish and dry in the mouth as well.
O: kinda underwhelming and not exactly worth the cost IMO. bought this one on a whim and held onto it since reviews weren't favorable and it needed to dry out so it aged for awhile in my chest freezer turned cellar. maybe I'm expecting too much from it but it just seems to lack complexity. I'm not a fan of drain pouring a beer but an entire bottle to myself is going to be a bit much.

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had to try this one so I broke down and bought one.

Appearance: Cloudy, orange like color with a lot of carbonation. Significant white head.

Smell: Sweet and alcohol. Not much more.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light bodied, interesting balance of flavors, but not in a good way. Alcohol was the dominant feature here. I could taste the champagne part of it and the dry after taste to go with it. Beer flavors were there but only in the background.

Overall: Glad I tried it, but won't buy it again. It was more of a novelty toy beer than something to have more than once as a taste. Little disappointed with Sam Adams on this one. However I I ranked this high on taste because of the uniqueness of this brew.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

A: Pale gold and very effervescent having a large, rocky off-white head with a moderate retention time. The overall appearance is that of a champagne.

S: Yeast and hops on the first sniff with the yeast quickly dissipating. The moderate Noble hops aroma dominates having floral and citrus notes. The moderately-light malt aroma is toasty and biscuity.

T: This is dry having a medium bitterness with a touch of sour. There is a moderate lemony hops flavor with a light florar note. A touch of sweetness chows itself mid-palate but is quickly overtaken by a dry bitter finish. There is some fermentation derived fruitiness that like a light peach and very light apricot.

O: This is a lot more appealing to those seeking a beer alternative to champagne with a solid bitterness and a dry refreshing finish that works well on its own or paired with dessert, fish or a light salad.

Note: Nothing like the one I had last year where the residual sweetness was just short of cloying. I'm not sure f the bottle was infected, if it is it's in a good way, but I don't care because dry is good and sour is great in my book.

1.86/5  rDev -42.6%

At first glance this beer looks fantastic. The fancy bottle, the extravagant head. All seemingly well.

Then the smell hits you, boozy, apples, caramel, and herbal. Not all that great..

Tasting at first I thought this beer is alright! Then I started tasting more and more, I slowly got very tired of the taste then almost sick in my stomach. I definitly won't try this again. I couldn't get through a glass. But this is just my experience, if I would have only had a taster glass I would have walked away saying this beer was pretty ok, maybe even great.

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Had a bottle in celebration a few months back but was in no state to review then
A - clear and very bubbly copper golden, two fingers of head receded at a fairly quick pace given the amount of carbonation rising from the bottom
S - strong caramel and fruit, some citrus hops and a light resiny aroma
T - this has a very strange mix of sour fruit and yeast, some rice and booziness, interesting flavours but a definitely strange and a little disjointed
M - bubbly and light much like champagne, fruity, somewhat dry and chalky
O - this is a tough one to place, it has some drinkable qualities but it is more champagne than beer in my opinion which takes away from the point

1.95/5  rDev -39.8%

I was very excited to find a bottle of this. I heard some good reviews so I was greatly looking forward to drinking it. It was $39.99 so I was thinking it must be good. It was a 2011 bottle, todays date is 7-13-12.

It was very pretty when pouring, Kinda cloudy golden.

The smell was appealing, a little fruity tartness.

The taste was terrible, A sour punch right off the bat. Then the after taste is too pungent, like after you smoke a terrible cigar.

mouthfeel is actually good if you can get past the taste. easily drinkable. not a strong alcohol taste at all.

overall a terrible beer, would never recommend for enjoyment. I could of bought a 12 pack of Hopslam dammit.

4.07/5  rDev +25.6%

I'm pretty surprised this one has received so many low reviews. I've found it to be pretty nice.

A: Beautifuly rich golden color with touch of crimson, quickly disappating champagne head, very champagne like. Moderate rising carbonation.
S: His this high alcohol intensity to it though it comes across not so strong and the alcohol is pretty sedated. like an apricot belgian strong ale.
T: There are champagne/sparkling wine elements to it, crossed with a belgian strong ale. But unlike the majority of beers in this alcohol range, it's not so so so intense and overpowering. it's light which I really appreciate. I'm also pretty surprised they could summon these flavors with just three ingredients.
M: Champagne like carbonation.
O: A very nice collaboration. The beer, for me, lives up to it's beautiful bottle.

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%

2011 Vintage.

A: Pours a lightly hazy light golden yellow in color with heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a three finger tall fizzy white head that slowly reduces to a thin layer covering the entire surface of the beer. No visible lacing is observed.

S: Smells a little bit like real champagne rather than a beer - notes of wine and grape and just the faintest hints of malt.

T: This beer is quite sweet with light fruit (apple, pear, and white grape) in addition to the malts. Light to moderate presence of alcohol in the taste as well.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Not my favorite beer in this style as it is a little too sweet and the alcohol is not as well hidden as I would prefer.

Picked up a bottle of Infinium at Happy Harry's Bottle Shop while on a visit to my nephew in Grand Forks. Odd place to pick up a bottle of Biere de Champagne, but I saw on the neck label that it is a collaboration brew between Sam Adams and Weihenstephaner, the oldest brewery in the world (if you haven't had their hefeweissbier, a draft is a must). Pairing these two great breweries seemed like a must try, regardless of the outcome.

A bubbly white head dissipates quickly to a very thin film on top of a whiskey colored ale. Light spice, heavily caramelized malt, dried raisins, figs and very apparent alcohol in the nose on top of a floral earthiness. Syrupy sweet and oily on the tongue along with a distinct bubbly carbonation that tingles. Dark fruit, raisin, and yeast flavors expand as it warms. Interesting and odd at the same time.

If you are expecting Deus from this champagne beer, you'll be disappointed. Watching the video on the Boston Beer website made it clear that the goal was to create a beer style that had never brewed before, even in the 1000 year history of Weihenstephaner. From my two samples, they accomplished their goal. Infinium is both perplexing, challenging and defies any beer definition I have in my head. If you're looking for a unique collaboration beer, drink a bottle--or two like me. However, while I've enjoyed this beer, I doubt I'd pick up another if it crossed my path.

Thanks Heatwave33!

2011 bottle.

Pour is light orange with huge head. Massively carbonated, but Id expect that.

Smell is different for sure. I get some citrus fruits. Loads and wheat and corn, and some white whine. Strong pineapple chunk smell.

The big thing I notice is how dry it is. It reminds of Tweason'ale with its dryness. Very dry up front, with some yeast coming out very, very quickly. I get the crisp wheat as well, along with airy corn. Sweet caramel notes come real late. The more I drink, the more I get the fruity esters from the yeast as well as some sweeter caramel early.

Theres so much going on; I think its just too damn busy for me. Itd be interesting to replace Champagne with this.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter glass. cork removal packs a big pop, reminiscent of a champagne bottle.

pours a mostly clear golden tone with a big, foamy 2 finger head. retention is middling; respectable lacing.

interesting nose on this one. fruity - notably banana, apple, and citrus - with notes of spices and some sweet maltines. something else i can't quite nail down, almost an astringency. flavor opens with a distinct sweetness. the fruity characters and spice are evident, along with a muted presence of hops. vinous. alcohol is relatively well-hidden, noticeable mostly in the finish.

crisp, medium-bodied mouthfeel with high carbonation. a unique beer worth a try, and i would definitely be up to try it again, but i'm not convinced the $20 price tag is justified.

originally reviewed: 12-13-2010

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage.

A: This poured clear gold with lots of bubbly white head.
S: It smelled like wild honey and wheat and sweet white grapes, with a little burnt sugar and almond and raisin.
T: It tasted like sweet hay and fresh wheat and wild honey, with some raisin and white grapes and earthy nutty malt. It had an earthy and sweet and clean aftertaste.
M: It was oily and very carbonated. Bubbly body.
D: This was not much like champagne beyond the appearance, but it was still interesting to try. The scent and taste were more like a biere de garde, to me. The body was fitting but not refined. The alcohol was well hidden, so it was easy enough to drink. But there was nothing exciting about this brew, to make it worth the price. Not recommended.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Well this certainly is a nice lookin' bottle we have here. The beer smells like candy and fruit, but some fruit I can't remember the name of from when I lived in Hawaii. Maybe it's lychee. The flavor is quite sweet, yet smooth enough, I suppose. A bit too much of a bitter ending that oddly meshes with the sugary tone. This is a nicely drinkable beer, but really, where's the complexity?? Where's the interesting character coming from "1,000 years of brewing expertise"? On taste alone the beer is alright. But add into the mix two major breweries contributing to its production and the price tag, and this one is falling quite short.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

2010 vintage from cellar. Had the morning after DLD as a way to celebrate and compliment an awesome, slab bacon, leek, poached egg on bread breakfast.

Medium copper, amber color with champagney head and awesome bubbling.

Mildly sweet cracker and bread crust and yeasty fruit aroma. Balancd well by the earthy, grassy noble hops and the spring of the carbonation.

Very well balanced flavor profile from start to finish. Toasty sweet malts mixed with a dry fruit champagne yeast and earthy, citric hops. Well balanced. Just a little warm on the abv. finish. Pretty good beer though. Glad I tried and shared it with my fiance and good buddy.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)