Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

3.13/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a beautiful dark gold/orange color with a perfect two finger white head. Awesome cloud-like head that leaves good lacing for the 10.3% abv. Fairly cloudy in appearance. The nose is a little on the weak side- grains, weak hops, super light fruit smell- and that's about it. Taste is slightly funky and sweet, with hops, citrus, yeast and a very champagne/beer type taste to it. Definitely unique, but I don't have anything to compare it to within the style. Not bad, but not a great taste. I don't get any of the alcohol either, which is fairly amazing. Feel is light, and very carbonated. Definitely has that champagne fizzy quality to it. Overall, this is my first Biere de Champagne, and.... I'm not sure I dig it. Glad I got to try this one though, and tick the style. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

At $20, this is most of I've ever paid for a beer and my expectations are high. Pours into a flute with a clear gold body and a small white head; champagne-like bubbles fire up for several minutes after the pour. Aromas are interesting but not what I consider appealing: strong aromas of kiwi, grapefruit, sour cherries, and yeast. The same notes carry over to the flavor, which also had a pronounced breadiness. I like the weight and feel of the body, and the way it finishes very crisply, but the aromas and taste, while unique, are not attractive to me. Overall one of the most interesting beers I've ever tried.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

1.7/5  rDev -47.4%

I had very high hopes for this, as I'm sure many did, and I really wasn't put off by the mixed reviews. But woof.

What starts off as a kind of vaguely Belgian/Hefe fruity-nosed pale strong ale quickly gives way to some uncomfortably strange strawberry shortcake. While it may indeed by technically dry, the round mid-palate and lack of firm bitterness leaves an impression of lingering sweetness that doesn't work. All-in-all a disappointment... and then the bottle sat and warmed to something more approaching room temperature (somewhere in the cellar temperature range) and all hell broke loose. And by "hell" I mean "diacetyl." An awful, ruinous, buttery mess. Drank closer to fridge temp I could get this down and at least be intrigued by the mildly unpleasant but unique strangeness. Towards the end this was a drain pour. I might be being a bit kind with my scores, here, frankly.

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Samuel Adam's Infinium Ale pours a big fluffy head over a clear, deep gold brew. Carbonation is very lively: big fat bubbles- the nose sweet berry, with notes of bubble gum riding over funk. More fruit is up front in the flavor, riding a crisp light barley malt backbone. I'm picking up notes of wood and citrus too, with a touch of spicy/earthy hops off the back- Saaz, maybe? Mouthfeel is light and crisp tending dry, with a subtle, fruity/herbal tea aftertaste. I think this would make a pretty good dessert beer- a brilliant experiment just made to be shared with your wine drinking cronies!

2.4/5  rDev -25.7%

I picked some up because I love beers from Weihenstephaner. I've never had other beers of this style, so I'm reviewing this based on my own tastes and what I think something of this style should be like.

A- Looks like a darker version of Champagne with more clingy lacing.

S- A weird smell that is tough to put a finger on the actual smell it is sort of a plastic smell. I'm really getting a permanent marker smell, you know the big thick fat black ones. I think that is some fruitiness and alcohol mix.

T- I'm not getting the butterscotch that everyone else seems to be getting. I'm getting more of a hearty earthy flavor. Almost more of a Biere de garde flavors.

M- For all the head this doesn't have all the carbonation I would have thought it would have.

D- Kinda hard to drink. Not a big fan of the taste and smell.

I'm not impressed, which is sad because I think Weihenstephaner put their necks way way out on the line and it didn't deliver. But perhaps the higher ups who made the beer liked what they made. I do have to say it is a novel idea, but for the price it elbowed out the average joe. That left the beer geeks all scratching their heads.

2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Infinium pours a light straw color with a couple fingers of egg shell-white head. Retention is very nice as this beer has a ridiculous amount of carbonation, as advertised. Lacing is fine and abundant.

Smell: Very biscuity and bready, with some citrus and minor hop notes on the back end. Reasonable but not outstanding by any measure. Edit: the more I sit and take my time on this beer, the more diacetyl/butter I get. Really not appealing at all.

Taste: Bready malts show up first in this beer. Next comes light citrus and fruity notes (pear, pale apple). Again, some minor hop notes on the back end. I do get a bit of diacetyl in there too, but not too strong. Edit: the diacetyl gets MUCH stronger as the beer warms. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Body was very light with high carbonation, obviously. Overall this is an okay beer from Boston Beer/Weihenstephaner. Not something so seek out (or buy for the price), but decent nonetheless.

2.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Finally got around to opening this bottle at a Superbowl party and was not impressed with the results. The appearance was decent with a nice amber color and a decent white head. Unfortunately, that was probably the strong point of the beer however. The smell was a wheat/yeast combination similar to a wit-hefeweizen cross, while flavor was not a strong suit in my opinion. Too much sugar and a peculiar slight tartness in addition to a slightly harsh alcohol burn were the main problems for me. Mouthfeel was light and effervescent considering the relative size of the beer and hopefully it's a strength they can take away from this experimental process.

I'll give credit to BBC/Weihenstephan for creativity and a nice presentation (bottle). But the flavor was subpar, and for me it was definitely not worth the hefty price tag.

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%

4.6/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a champagne flute.

Pours deep golden with a big, stark white head. Very effervescent, like champagne. Head drops down to about a quarter inch, made up of mostly tiny bubbles. Leaves a little lacing.

Aromas of sweet malt, hard candy, and earthy, slightly citrusy hops. Quince notes.

First sip is of sweet caramelly malt, apricots, with a firm bitterness. Lots of champagne-like qualities, a little bitter edge, mild sweetness. A fine hint of chalkiness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a hint of chewy malt, and a very fine prickle of carbonation. Very much like champagne on the mouthfeel, with a little more body.

Very drinkable. Very nice New Years Eve choice. I will enjoy finishing off this bottle tonight as my last review of the year. I find it very enjoyable.

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

I dig this bottle, straight off a steam punk airship. I served the Infinium in a stein.

Appearance- The ridiculous carbonation tells me this really belongs in a champagne glass, but seeing as I don't drink champagne...

When it settles, there is still an enormous three and a half finger lump of white foam. The lacing is also very chunky and clings hard to the side of the glass.

The body is an auburn-gold with tons of fast rising bubbles.

Smell- The champagne yeast comes off earthy and slightly chalky, not really that appetizing as it butts up against some very sweet pear and imitation watermelon, almost plastic like aromas. Weird.

Taste- The front of the drink imitates the champagne-like and plasticy, sweet flavors. Then the pear starts to mix with a slight tinny note.

The finish is more champagne and band-aid, with some sweet and earthy intimations thrown in. This is just a strange and unpleasant mess.

Mouth feel- At least Infinium is medium bodied and fairly smooth. Hang on, how does that happen with so much carbonation and a champagne back bone? Just as bad as it sounds to be honest.

Overall- This beer has two masters and is serving neither. The flavors mix as well as water and oil. The fruity character of the beer and the champagne come off chalky and plastic like.

Maybe if the body had been crisp and bubbly it could have been salvaged, but it falls flat.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.05/5  rDev +25.4%

I'm pretty surprised this one has received so many low reviews. I've found it to be pretty nice.

A: Beautifuly rich golden color with touch of crimson, quickly disappating champagne head, very champagne like. Moderate rising carbonation.
S: His this high alcohol intensity to it though it comes across not so strong and the alcohol is pretty sedated. like an apricot belgian strong ale.
T: There are champagne/sparkling wine elements to it, crossed with a belgian strong ale. But unlike the majority of beers in this alcohol range, it's not so so so intense and overpowering. it's light which I really appreciate. I'm also pretty surprised they could summon these flavors with just three ingredients.
M: Champagne like carbonation.
O: A very nice collaboration. The beer, for me, lives up to it's beautiful bottle.

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a light orange yellow color that is slightly hazy with a large amount of carbonation bubbles and a two finger head that is pure white and has large bubbles and lingers very nicely
S: kind of an odd funky slight tart scent, not overly appealing
T: its pretty nice and definitely reminiscent to champagne in my opinion, tart and clean finishing
M: intense carbonation as expected, just bubbly all the way through, leaves the palate clean
O: an interesting brew, definitly could smell and taste better but im happy with it overall, is it a $20+ bottle, no, but ill take a hit and buy it again next year

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)