Infinium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Infinium Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Review from notes 12/31/10. Decided to open this on New Year's Eve.

A: Poured a hazy straw/yellow color, very large bubbly head that lasts for a good while. Lots of carbonation.

S: Very sweet, some light fruit - green apple and pear, a breadiness too.

T: The apple comes back along with some grassyness but those flavors do not last long. The finish is dominated by yeast and some caramel and is quite dry.

M: Light to medium bodied with high carbonation as it should. Very dry finish.

O: It wasn't terrible, but the more I drank it, the less I wanted to continue and at $20 it is certainly not something I would get again. It was a disappointment for it to be the beer chosen to ring in the New Year.

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Appears a transparent light gold with a small white cap that slowly fades into a gentle film and collar. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of wheat,doughy yeast, lemon, citrus, turbinado sugar, dried apricot, vanilla, and honey. Perhaps a touch of bubble gum, as well.
A sweet honey flavor with notes of vanilla and golden raisins are the most dominant of all flavors coming through.
Mouthfeel is boozy, sticky sweet, and medium bodied. It reminds me of a mead fermented with champagne yeast. Not bad but not the $24 I dropped with huge hopes.

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle shared by drabmuh on New Year's Eve. Thanks Matt! If we must drink champagne, it may as well be a bière de champagne.

A: This celebratory ale appears hazy and yellowish orange in color. The beer has plenty of carbonation, and an inch of fluffy, white head that leaves a good amount of lacing behind.

S: Malt, spices, Belgian yeast, citrus, alcohol.

T: A good tasting beer, with some nice attributes. The citrus component is rather tasty and the Belgian yeast character adds some depth and complexity. On the downside, the beer is just too sweet, and becomes cloying after more than a few ounces.

M: Medium/thick in body, with a present sweetness and warming alcohol in the finish.

D: An OK beer, but at $20+ per bottle, I don't see any more Samuel Adams Infinium in my future.

1.18/5  rDev -63.5%

Served to me blind by @LaitueGonflable.

Clear, rather pinkish golden colour, with a fine but insubstantial
head of white bubbles. Body is extremely light and weak, meaning the head has no chance to form any lacing. Looks a bit lacklustre.

Nose is insane, and rather unpleasant, to be honest. Big biscuity
malt, with funky sweetness and crushed toffee praline. It's all
overlaid with a slightly odd generic yeasty hop character. Savoury characters come through as well, with ketchup and baked beans. It's robust, but genuinely unpleasant.

Taste is similar, although the sweetness is even more prominent here. Big vegetative sweet characters, like tomato juice mixed with sugar, or toffeed baked beans, and a rigid, unyielding carbonation which forces this home. Truly quite unpleasant. Each mouthfeel has the potential to make me dry retch.

Really quite a horrible beer. And yet, I can sort of see this weird
perversity to it that makes me feel like I should like and/or respect it. There is no way in hell I want to drink this again, but I might be okay with someone serving it to me blind again some time in the future.

(Notes after I found out what it was:

Holy crap, I really had some expectations for this, but this is genuinely unpleasant. It really does not live up to expectations, and is closer to malt liquor than to a brew between two high-flying breweries like this.)

2.51/5  rDev -22.3%

Wow, what a let down celebrating new year. I didn't expect a great beer, but at least something drinkable. Thankfully I had other beers for back up duty.
Pours a faded golden color with a massive, big, fluffy white head. Has promise to be crisp or carbonated, just what I was looking for.

Aroma is faded a bit it seems. Dried apricot, white grapes, sweetened caramel and some green grass.

Uh, taste falls flat on its face. Super sweet caramel, musky grass, stale or severely overripe pear. Blah.

No carbonation whatsoever belying the foam from the pour. Flat and slick. Boozy. Nobody liked it...poured half the bottle out--kept the bottle.

3.86/5  rDev +19.5%

At long last, did alot to get this and now is the time to try, split with a good friend.

Appearance: Into a Deus flute. Pours with a vigorous rush of carbonation and foam. Light straw and perfectly clear with a nice frothy head and patches of lace. Constant carbonation rising to the top.

Smell: Fruiter, some pear. Apple and white grape.

Taste: A lot of up front carbonation followed by white grape notes. Sweet and vaguely cider-like. Almost like a sparkling wine/super clean tripel. Certainly on the sweeter side, hop profile is minimal.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy carbonation. At the end some chalky yeast gives a semi dry finish.

Drinkability: A nice treat, but something for rare occassions and toasts. Couldn't drink it all day but half the bottle was no challange. I did find it a bit sweet and more hops could have been used.

4.23/5  rDev +31%

Poured from the bottle into a champagne flute, vintage 2011.

Off the pop some good launch, no suds or gush. While pouring though, very bubbly, after settling a real light caramel off white head, some soapy but with some good retention, lots of retention. Body color is really nice. Gold amber, bronze and brown with hints of caramel like accents and possibly some faint red. Great champagne elevator carbonation as well. Looks real nice.

Nose is quite surprising. Sweet smelling malts, lots of honey, thick. Light brown sugar, somewhat clove like, but very malty and doppelbock like. Sticky toffee...

Taste is a light and crispy, but also still very thick malt texture with a light effervescent palate. Malty, honey and clove. Like the play on this of sweet but not overbearing with a noticeable malt that takes away much of the sweetness. Not very prickly feeling or too dry. Maybe even some tangerine like orange on this as well.

Overall though I have to admit this is really different from the other beer champagne type beers I have had. It's this sens of a bubbly light doppelbock that gets stuck in my head it seems. It's very unique, it's own animal. Hardly any noticeable boozyness at all. Actually pretty darn good.

3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

After all the posted disappointment, I was hesitant to pay $20 for this, but I found some at Lowes Foods amongst some discount wine for $9 so decided it was time to try it.

Pours a copper straw color with tons of head that fades to a thin lacing. There's a huge amount of carbonation coming to the top. Smells like champagne yeast and distinct champagne-like alcohol ester. Taste is sweet and warm; a little boozy but I guess that fits in nicely for the style. As the beer warms I begin to detect a hint of sour apples and grapes. Mouthfeel is very dry. Bubbles actually explode on the palate, and the carbonation remains in tact even through the swallow.

As this beer warms and you get to the end of the 750 mL bottle, the carbonation fades and the tastes change, and the beer begins to lose it's champagne-style characteristics.

This wasn't all that bad. I definitely don't look for champagne-like qualities in my beer, and I probably wouldn't venture into this style often. I am glad I tried it though.

2.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 2010, 750 ml bottle into a flute glass.

A: Crystal clear, soft light copper, steady stream of carbonation bubbles. Soapy white billowing head that took some time to settle, but did so into a weak cap with no lacing.

S: Dry and champagne-esque. Malty qualities, bready, grainy and stale biscuits. The hops are hopelessly lost here and this definitely resembles more of a dry wine or champagne than a beer. Some sweet passion fruit and orange at the end of the nose.

T: The malt qualities dominate the palate, and once again the hops are gone. Dry and piercing, biscuits again with some grassy notes and a distinct Pinot Grigio finish.

M: Thin and light bodied, though the carbonation deceives the palate into thinking this has more body than in reality.

The high ABV and overall dryness of the beer is good, but nothing you'd want to stick with for long. This is good to share as a celebration drink, not your go-to, obviously. I'm glad I was able to grab two bottles of this, but in all honesty, I wouldn't buy it again. I applaud the two breweries for the collaboration and I'm happy I got to try this. It's definitely worth a shot since this is a once-and-done beer (we think).

3.93/5  rDev +21.7%

Strong champagne like pop when the cork is removed.

Clear copper colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smell of vanilla and wine when uncorked. Very fruity aroma peach, raspberry and banana. Over ripe banana and vanilla with some caramel, makes me think Banana Brûlée.

Starts out sweet and spicy with an apple and banana aftertaste. Lots of banana flavor here with caramel, something like the dessert Bananas Foster.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability will depend on your like of banana, I personally like it but not $20 a Bottle Like.

2.73/5  rDev -15.5%

(Served in a flute)
2011 vintage
A- This beer has a strong pop of the cork resulting in a glass full of white foam. Soon a crystal clear dark caramel colored body forms with a slow motion carbonation. The subsequent glasses have a boiling carbonation.

S- The fruity esters of pineapple mix with a cinnamon spice hop quality and some sweet fresh wort aromas. There is a Noble hop pellet bitterness that grows as the beer opens up. There is a lot going on but overall it is a light aroma.

T- The dry alcohol flavor has some sweet caramel wort flavors and a field corn flavor in the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a big alcohol bite in the finish.

O- The boozy thin caramel flavored water is a bit hard to drink. It doesn't have any champagne-like qualities. Everything is out of balance with alcohol heat and sugar sweet being way to strong with the carbonation trying to do its part but it is still not crisp. I don't know if you chilled this in the freezer for a bit if it was designed to taste better ice cold? I don't think age would help this, especially with the sweetness.

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours an off-white, one-finger bubbly head that fades to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Very strong carbonation, the strongest I've seen and medium bodied. Sweet fruity nose, but flavor is light caramel, with nutmeg and allspice. Seriously expensive at $20.00 for a caged and corked 750ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me. My 50th bottle from Boston Beer.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2.84/5  rDev -12.1%

Very nice looking packaging for the beer. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware. It poured amber in color with a lot of tiny, streaming bubbles making up an active and fizzy head. The head settled after a minute or so but a steady of stream of bubbles continually rose well into drinking it.

It has a very interesting aroma to it. It has a distinct, sweet candy or caramel like flavor to it that really sticks out. I get a fruity, apple or pear like flavor to it as well. A little of the citrusy and floral flavors come out but the candy caramel flavor is a little overbearing.

The taste starts out with some of the tart and fruity flavors, which are a little sharp right off the bat. It starts to turn very sweet midway with the candied, caramel like flavors taking over. A little bitterness comes towards the finish Some of the tart fruits come back and linger for a bit. The malty, candy, caramel flavor throughout the beer is a little much though.

The mouthfeel is a bit above medium bodied with carbonation being high and sharp. The combination of a heavier mouthfeel and high carbonation also didn't really work that well for me. Had it been lighter I think it could have pulled it off better. The high carbonation fir the style though.

Drinkability isn't that great, it wasn't easy for the two of us to get through the bottle tonight. The dominating caramel, candy, sweet flavor just didn't work well for me. Cool packaging and story but not a beer I'd buy again.

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

Unless you love foam, the first pour requires the patience of a saint. With Champagne, the tinier and more agile the better and this Champagne-esque beer has almost microscopic bubbles that swarm like angry wasps at a massive, pearl white head suitable is to take a nap on. Apparently the packaging was not just an easy 'ka-ching' - the contents are impressive too.

The bouquet smells like a blend of sparkling wine and Orval which, in my mind, is the proverbial "champagne" of beers due to its distinction and high esteem. A portion of it also contains the slightly tart, musty, almost cheesy note of 'barnyard funk' found in French and Belgian saisons as well as newer, so called 'American Wild Ales'. Either way: yeast steals the show. And it only grows more confident with warmth.

The underlying acidity in the aroma also accents the taste, which might be a minor disappointment to anyone hoping for overtly malt- or hop-derived flavours. Instead, the yeast is in the driver's seat and veers us towards overripe orchard fruit, dried spices and the aforementioned citrusy acidity. Malts, however, aren't entirely forgotten as honey-coated oats, dried hay and cereal grains march their way onto the palate too.

One major difference between this and Champagne is the amount of froth you have to make your way through for any liquid to touch your lips. This aspect I don't like. Otherwise, however, the malts are thin and sugary, the carbonation brisk and bubbly and the aftertaste residually dry and fruity. One glass easily lends itself to the next. Good thing for the 750ml bottle which, by the way, is a perfect candidate for social get-togethers.

Considering I regard Orval as perhaps the greatest beer ever made by man, and considering Infinium at least superficially resembles it, it'd be contradictory for me to review this any lower than I have. Also, I thought this an impressively avant-garde offering considering it's a tandem offering from the world's oldest brewery and America's most mainstream micro. All things considered it's a fair exchange for $15, at least this one time.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.02/5  rDev +24.5%

Popped the cork on this and shared with my wife after we signed our lives away on our new home.
I had a bitch of a time getting the cork out, and when I finally did pieces of it were still attached to the glass in the neck like they were super glued there. I can't imagine how hard this will be to pull out if someone lays one of these down.
Pours a crystal clear deep copper color with a massive pillowy white head that slowly dissipates but leaves massive lacing on the way down. Killer aroma of toffee, taffy, tropical fruits, and a touch of herbal from the hops. The aroma reminds me a lot of a well aged barleywine or very fruity saison. Taste is tropical fruity mixed with toffee. Bits of herbal hops cut through some of the sweetness as does a touch of alcohol. The overall taste is sweeter than I thought it was going to be, the semi sweet finish leaves a lingering fruity sweetness after every sip. Medium body, Medium high level of carbonation pricks the tongue a bit with every sip.
I really enjoyed this one its a very tasty beverage. Its not what I expected it was going to be, I thought it was going to be champagne like dry, but I was pleasantly surprised. If this wasn't 20 dollars a bottle I would sock some away for a rainy beer day, but since it is I will just have to say I'm glad I got to try it.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)