Samuel Adams East-West Kölsch - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams East-West KölschSamuel Adams East-West Kölsch

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Kölsch |  5.01% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams East-West Kölsch Alström Bros
UncleJon206

02-19-2012 14:50:30 | More by mctizzz
JLeege

1.98/5  rDev -45.6%

On draft

Appearance- Pours a clear golden color with a nice fluffy white head. Good retention and a little lacing left behind. Looks good, but looks can be very deceiving.

Smell- Fairly grainy, a bit earthy, Petco rodent isle, and laundry detergent. I said it was lavender, put was later told it is brewed with jasmine.

Taste- Just like it smells, very herbal throughout, slightly bready, with overwhelming jasmine.

Mouthfeel- Light body with medium carbonation.

Overall- This beer was a complete train wreck for me. It brought back haunting memories of The Bruery’s Orchard White, another beer that less than agreed with me. I won’t be drinking this again, ever. Oh well, they all can't be winners.

06-13-2011 23:14:05 | More by JLeege

GFD400

08-30-2012 18:35:42 | More by GFD400
TheBeerAlmanac

2.05/5  rDev -43.7%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Straw yellow and has a good amount of head, but fizzes out quick and leaves nothing else.

S: An extremely subtle aroma of hops and spice, but nothing else.

T/M: Tastes very bland, light with a tiny hop bite at the finish, but nothing else.

Honestly, this is one of the most bland beers I think I’ve ever had. I’m sorely disappointed. I think Sam Adams needs to take note from my kolsch brewing skills. Just let me know, Sam Adams, and I’ll see if I can find that brewkit recipe card for you.

06-29-2011 00:54:41 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
g_jenkins

06-28-2012 03:30:15 | More by g_jenkins
claspada

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

This beer pours a light, a golden pale color that is easily translucent. A small white head blankets the ale and quickly dissipates.
The aromas begin with biscuity malts; hops aren't a big factor. I was expecting a more floral, spice aroma thanks to that jasmine but it didn't really come through. Definitely does not smell like hops, more like potpourri which I am not really fond of.
The tastes begin smooth, lots of bready and biscuity malts. Floral sweetness is more apparent here, but not hop floral, weird herbal/spicy flavors. It takes over the pleasant breadiness which I was enjoying. Unfortunate.
The mouthfeel is fuller than I would like here. The carbonation is not high enough for my liking/this style. Finish isn't dry like I also enjoy in this style.
Overall this is a major miss for me and even on a nice hot night, was a drain pour because the flavor profile just didn't mesh for me.

06-27-2011 14:38:34 | More by claspada
tmryan21

05-06-2014 17:22:56 | More by tmryan21
KajII

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured a clear sparkling pale yellow with a large foamy head that had fair retention and fair lacing. The aroma was extremely light of grain malts, a flowery hop and a moldy yeast with a mild citrus note. It tasted very, very, light and airy with a hint of citrus in the beginning and finished a bit sour with a very light hoppy finish. Mouthfeel was very light in body and quite watery in texture with a lively carbonation. Overall a real disappointment for a Kölsch. The brew master in my opinion really dropped the ball on this one.

06-24-2011 15:57:29 | More by KajII
yesyouam

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

Samuel Adams East-West Kölsch is a crystal clear, pale golden ale with a thin white head that quickly vanishes, leaving a small white ring and nice lacing. It has an aroma of lemon and light grain. It's light bodied and very lively. It leaves the mouth slightly scratchy. There's not really much flavor here. It's a touch funky and slightly bitter. There's almost a touch of sweetness and something like herbal tea going on. Maybe that's the jasmine sambac. This is not really my thing, even after mowing the lawn.

05-25-2011 17:29:07 | More by yesyouam
bobhits

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours a touch of white head that is lingering and adding a bit of lacing. A first for this summer pack really. The beer is pale and straw colored as any though. No character or excitement to be seen in this one.

The aromas of sweet grain malt and a bit of citrus floral notes that they claim are coming from hops. I wouldn't place this has hops but i don't know the variety well enough to judge. it is a bit maltier than expected for the style.

I had this yesterday and was planning to comment on this being overly sweet, but perhaps I had something off before sampling or Sam Adams made an inconsistent beer? This actually has a nice dry finish, a hint of spice, a hint of hops, and a grainy and spicy malt finish. This is actually pretty refreshing though my expectation going in were beyond low. Don't expect much here, very mild in flavor, even for the style, but the flavors all work and the end product isn't bad.

A bit more carbonation that I'd like (read I'm burping from 2-3 drinks), but that seems to work well and is acceptable for the style. Clean and thin body as you'd expect.

I have no idea why this beer is so different from the one I had yesterday. Colder? That all said you don't be impressed by this. You don't fall in love, but on a hot enough day you might be pretty happy to have a glass or 3.

08-30-2011 01:56:05 | More by bobhits
adamette

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%

Notes: My 1,100th review.

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a part of a Sam Adams "Summer Series" or something like that from Sam's Club a few weeks ago into a clean, clear glass. "Best by" date of Sep 2012 so I am good.

A Very boring appearance. I realize that it must be to style but really, this is boring. Translucent yellow body under a thin, brief white head. I admit that I have never really liked the "look" of a Kolsch. 2.0

S Light barley malt and muted hops typify this style. This version is not particularly fragrant or notable. 2.0

T The same forgettable taste of every Kolsch that I can recall tasting. My belief is that this style is made specifically for drinkability which leaves its taste lacking for me. 2.5

M Smooth feel contributes to its drinkability but really the feel is rather forgettable. 2.0

D/O Very very drinkable and overall this is an average Kolsch, a style that I do not find particularly to my liking. 3.0

06-21-2012 02:01:31 | More by adamette

08-03-2012 21:25:48 | More by lvoutlawjlh
Howlader

Alberta (Canada)

07-20-2014 20:26:42 | More by Howlader
Samuel Adams East-West Kölsch from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)