Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Slatetank on 04-11-2011

An excellent replacement to the original chocolate bock it is the sole reason why i wait to drink this one last in the winter variety pack. Nice dark brown color average head and all around smoothness. Addictive to drink all day long especially winter. So soothing it is unreal

4.84/5  rDev +36.7%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Appearance - Very dark colored brown beer. Nice tall light colored head which did dissipate after a little while. Quite a bit of lacing left on the glass.

Smell - Maraschino cherries with a bit of cocoa.

Taste - A very sweet beer. Definitely more of a cherry flavor, however the ratio of cherry to chocolate is perfect.

Mouth - Very thick yet rich. Light carbonation which pairs perfectly with the flavors.

Overall - I would not hesitate to buy this if they came out with a 6 pack.

4.67/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had this beer for the first time over the weekend at a friend's vacation house. I'm one to try new things, and I'm definitely glad I tried this. It literally did taste like chocolate cherry cake- it was amazing. It had a great smell, the packaging was bright and eye-catching, the taste was amazing- the cherry was definitely noticeable, but not overpowering (I don't like cherry much to begin with) and the chocolate was certainly present as well, but not overly sweet. Would definitely drink this again!

4.59/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours dark brown with a slight mocha head. The smell is a strong chocolate scent. I think stronger than the regular chocolate bock. The initial flavors is a potent cherry taste. Reminds me of a cherry coke. Finishes with a malty chocolate finish.

I could drink this regularly but the sweetness makes this a bit of a novelty. I find it to be a perfect dessert beer and wish it was available around the holidays.

4.57/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful in a glass. deep rich color, the cherry taste seems powerful at first and then the chocolate takes over. This may be a bit too much as a dinner beer, but better as a dessert beer. Or just as dessert. Rich and full bodied. Good with red meats, particularly grilled.

4.52/5  rDev +27.7%

Had this on tap at RFD in Washington, DC on 5/14/11. I was confused by its appearance on the menu, as I wasn't aware of Sam Adams making a Chocolate Cherry Bock. The waitress told me it was a mix of the Chocolate Bock and the Cherry Wheat. So this is either a new beer or a combination of two old beers. Either way, it was pretty darn tasty.

A - Very dark brown, looks the same as the Chocolate Bock.

S - Strong aroma of chocolate and cherries. Smells like a freshly baked black forest cake.

T - Tastes exactly like it smells - like a black forest cake. Gets even better as it starts to warm up a bit.

M - Rich and creamy like their chocolate bock. The substantial weight of this beer is perfectly paired with the fact that it tastes like dessert.

O - This was a real treat - like drinking dessert! I'd definitely order this over and over again, but probably not more than a pint at one sitting (unless I was feeling like a fatty and wanted an extra slice of liquid cake).

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

i poured this beer into a snifter glass, it has a very dark brown, almost black body with not a lot of head that lays down to a thin brown lace around the edge of the glass. The smell is sweet of maraschino cherries with nice chocolate notes coming through too. The taste is so nice and balanced of cherry and chocolate, with the roasted malt on back of the tongue. Great mouth feel and overall a exceptional beer.

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Deep dark maroon color with moderate head and what appears to be moderate carbonation. You can really smell the chocolate cherry aroma. Really smooth. The cherry and chocolate flavors blend perfectly. I drank most of this before I realized what happened. Flavor is dead on and so is drinkability. Finishes as great as it starts. However, we didn't discern any maltiness, just a balanced chocolate and cherry flavor.

4.46/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I just finally tried this beer a month ago, it shot right to the top 10 on my list! I truly love the cherry and chocolate combination. They have hit it right on the head w/ the pairing, neither taste overwhelming the other. My only mark against it would be the slightly flat taste of the bock, I would prefer it to provide a bit headier pour (may not be possible?!?) Otherwise excellent work Sam Adams!

4.43/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a dark proud with a large 2 finger head which dissipates down to a film, minimal lacing.
S - Roasted, toasty malts and a light, pleasant cherry aroma.
T - Nice, slightly smokey bock flavor with a lightly sweet chocolate flavor and a nice lite cherry taste. Not overbearingly sweet, just right, very pleasant and highly sessionable. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side.
O - A damned good brew, very delicious.
V - Low, as far as I know, is only available in the winter seasonal sampler pack.

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

Bottle poured into a pint or out of the bottle (I had a mix seasonal case)

A: Dark body with rich foamy head

S: Smells like chocolate cake filled with Kirschwasser, but not so alcoholic

T: Strong Cherry Chocolate cake.

M: Slightly oily but really easy to drink

O:Phenomenal beer, I was so blown away by the flavor of this beer, if you don't like chocolate cake with cherries in it, don't bother, but if that sounds good to you or you're familiar with the black forest cherry torte (search that recipe and you won't regret it) and are a fan you definitely need to check this out. I sat in a chair just beside myself wondering where I had been and how I could get an unlimited supply of this beer. Goes down easy and tastes like candy (not really) Mr. Koch won't you send me a barrel?

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from a longneck into a sampler. A moderate pour creates a 1/2 inch creamy, light tan head. The beer is a deep ruby-brown with plenty of carbonation.

Even my poor nose can smell chocolate covered cherries wafting from the glass. Plenty of chocolate-cherry on the tongue as well, with a little nutty bitterness. The intense, but highly flavorful and complex dark cherry and chocolate manages to not be overbearing and is actually quite delightful without being too sweet.

This is a perfect beer for the Christmas season. I am usually a bit skeptical with some of the additives put in beer, but this one is a winner. The bottle was part of a 12 pack holiday sampler bought for 14.99 and, so far, a very good value. Send more of these chocolate cherry beers please!

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

I had this on tap at the Mohawk House. A big thanks to Tom from Kohler for giving me the latest from Sam Adams.

A - Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Very nice dark brown almost opaque apperance with a frothy inch and a half dark mocha color head and minmal lacing around the glass.

S - WOW! Smells like a chocolate covered cherry as expected, but more pronounced that my preconceived notions. It has the aroma of those cordial cherries.

T - Wonderful cherry flavor and a touch of chocolate up front followed by a smooth malty sweet finish. The cherries and chocolate are present and not over powering. There is a modest balance there.

M - Feels a little light with a decent amount of carbonation. The flavor sticks to the palate.

O - I think that this a top notch quality beer. It is beautifully balanced and has all the right flovors. While it may not be exact to bock style, the credit is deserved for overall beer. I would love to get my hands on a keg of this!

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

I had this one at the West Point Market in Akron. Pours a nice light colored head but it fades away quickly. It has a nice red hue to it as well. You can smell the chocolate right off the bat. The first taste highlights the cherry flavor but falls into one of the best chocolate flavors i've seen in a beer. The alcohol is not subtle at all but works with the cherries to really bring out a great flavor. It's not overly sweet either. I'm not always that big of a fan of Sam Adams stuff but this one is great. I'm gonna have to pick this one up again on my next trip out to the market.

4.41/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, what can I say, I guess I am partial to the vegetable/fruit types of beers because this Sam Adams blew me away. The last offering from the company wasn't so good, but this one might very well be the best I have had from Sam Adams. The only down points were it's head , no staying power or lacing, and I tasted a bit more cherry than the chocolaty malts promised - but oh boy, was it goooodddd....

4.36/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a nice cola/coffee color with a solid finger of tan foamy goodness.

S: Aroma is of milk chocolates and cherries, Light notes of sweet malts and a hint of molases.

T: Taste is an awesome explosion of cherry tootsie pops or cherry cordials, sweet cherry and chocolate caramel.

M: Mouthfeel is silky smooth and full bodied, lightly carbed ...mmm.

O: Overall a very solid beer, Thanks Jim and crew! Sadly they were the first everyone drank from the case will definitly drink this one again, and sad as it is I did not miss the chocolate bock this year, it was way better with the cherry.

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. "Enjoy by" May 2014.

Appearance: Pours a deep, deep brown and leaves a finger of tan head that fizzles away quickly to a layer around the glass.

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries! Those ones with the liquid centers with a cherry. I really enjoy those, and this smells just like those. There are some malts in the background but the sweet chocolate, maraschino cherry and vanilla really stand out strong.

Taste: Follows the smell really well. Leads with cocoa, and this is quickly followed with sweet cherries, vanilla and malts, followed by more cocoa. Great dessert drink flavors here. Not too complex but I love the flavors.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a light to medium, smooth body. Finishes smooth.

Overall: I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I'm definitely a sucker for cherries, and this beer did that right for me. Drinkability is really high. What you'll get here is chocolate and cherries. Not a whole much else, and I'm fine with that for this beer. My favorite beer from Sam Adams that I've had so far.

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at the San Diego Brewing Company. Black with a slight tinge of red (cherry). Inch of head. Nice amount of dark lacing on the top. Nice looking film on the sides that lasted throughout.

Smelled of chocolate malts with cherry fruits. Reminded me of Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia.

Tasted just like the nose, only better. Nice and smooth chocolate malts with that cherry backbone. Basically a Cherry Garcia.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Smooth, long finish.

I loved this beer. I originally had the look a 4.5, but dropped it down after some consideration. I’m a bit of a Sam Adams homer but this may have been the best I tried.

4.31/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Chocolate Cherry Bock pours a black color, with a small whitish head. There was a nice sweet smell, mostly from the chocolate. The taste was rather sweet, alot of chocolate and cherry, but it blended very well, with just a bit of a smokey malty undertone. Very easy to drink, and it had a nice strong flavor. Overall a very nice desert type beer. I wasn't impressed with Sam Adams chocolate bock, but this one with cherries is like a candy bar, and i was very impressed.

4.21/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Poured from bottle into pint glass. Minimal head that dissipated within seconds. Dark, dark brown in color with red highlights.

Smell: Heavy on maraschino cherries, with hints of chocolate in the background.

Taste: Cherry syrup explosion up front, with a mixture of chocolate, caramel, and bready malts completing the ensemble.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, very wet on the tongue.

Overall: I wasn't expecting much from this beer, but I had it for dessert one night and was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice beer to have when you want something sweet. I wouldn't really have more than one in a sitting, but it is a nice change of pace.

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Nice rich brown color with deep amber hues. The beer has a nice white head.
S: The beer has a nice rich cherry chocolate cordial aroma with hints of smoke.
T: The first flavor you get happens to be the rich dark cherry flavor and it has some background flavor of chocolate and smokiness.
M/O: This beer was on tap at RFD in DC. Very complex and balanced beer. Good for the winter time and very good with desserts.

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

Had this on tap and was served in a 10 oz pilsner glass.
Off white head that dissipated fairly quickly.
Aroma was a nice blend of malts, cocoa/chocolate and hints of cherry.
The taste however, had much more cherry than the aroma. The balance of cherry and chocolate was very good though. Almost felt like I was having cherries dipped in chocolate. I must admit I am not a big fan of cherry, especially cherry in beer, but this brew is really very delicious. The balance obtained is very good.
Very good mouthfeel, coats the palate nicely, almost silken.
Glad I gave it a try. Definitely worth it.

4.18/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow, I didn't expect anything out of this one and yet was totally surprised by it.

If this beer had a tad bit higher alcohol and was a bit sweeter, it would have reached the "great" status (for me anyway)...

A: Black body with 1 finger beige head. Looks like thicker cola.

S: Cherries dominate. It kind of smells like cherry covered chocolate. Cocoa nibs, cherry coke, cherries, tad bit of caramel.

T: It's very very very good. I am not sure why this beer isn't rated higher. I just wish that it was a bit sweeter. It has a ton of flavor for a relatively low alcohol beer. Dry chocolate flavor from cocoa nibs, cherries. I don't pick up as much caramel in the taste.

M: It's on the thicker side for the style. No alcohol is detected. Starts off smooth but it does have sharp carbonation towards the middle end.

Maybe I am rating this a bit higher than I should but I reallly think this should be rated about a 4.0. Give this one a try.

4.18/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass. Pours a dark mahogany with a one inch light tan head, that leaves behind excellent lace. Smell is more cherry than chocolate, with vanilla blended in with the others. Taste is chocolate to start, then the cherry and vanilla comes in at the finish. Body is medium, nice amount of carbonation, not dry, and very drinkable. This is a nice beer and a bit different. Don't drink it to cold, the flavors really blend well as it warms.

4.13/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Smell of cherries and malt hit my nose instantly as it has a dark color with slight head. The first taste reveals dark chocolate and cherries with a hint of other malts. Tastes like those Lindle chocolate covered cherry candies. It has a medium body with slight carbonation. This beer was delicious and would make a great desert drink. Might be great if made into a float with vanilla or cherry ice cream. Would love to buy this again.

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)