Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Slatetank on 04-11-2011

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

I can only guess that the reason this beer is getting decent scores is that there are a lot of people who can drink a large quantity of soda in a single sitting. The color is nice, it looks like a proper bock, but that's about it. The mouthfeel is thin, the aroma is overly sweetened cherries, the taste is like cherry coke gone off. Poured it down the drain after giving it a couple of tries. Very disappointed as I usually love the offerings from Boston Beer. (461 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -56.2%

I guess this is a polarizing beer, some people love it. I downright hated it. I took several sips from it and couldn't get past that. It came with the Winter seasonal mixed pack and to be honest I was skeptical to begin with because I don't really like cherries and this one is loaded with that sour cherry taste. If you like chocolate covered cherries that are sour then you might like this. Its was the worst of both worlds to me. It was a bad dark beer mixed with a bad cherry Lambic or something like that. I just felt this was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. But, to each his/her own, someone may love that about it. I am not enamored by this one. I do like most of this breweries beers that I have tried. They are not overly wonderful, but this one was just nasty. (781 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours out a dark brown/ruby body. Smell: maraschino cherry juice, almond extract, and chocolate flavoring. Tastes like a cherry Coke with chocolate flavoring. Lots of maraschino cherry syrup. Mouthfeel is flabby yet sticky. Needs more carbonation. I preferred the Chocolate Bock. I'm getting no bock characteristics between the cherry and chocolate. (349 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -53.1%

Surprised by the rating this is getting. Total drain pour for me, taste is very artificial cherry. Like cough syrup and the bad taste lingers. Not picking up chocolate at all, to over powered by the bad cherry flavor. Very disappointed in this one, was the one I was wanting to try most from the variety pack (308 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -48.9%

Appearance: A dark dark beer, not much head on the pour, and no bubbling is obvious. This looks the way it should.

Smell: Strong smell of cherry, and no so much any malt or hops.

Taste: Just cherry.

Mouthfeel: very high in carbonation, but a light beer. This is an okay combination.

Overall: I would attempt to avoid this. (326 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Had this in the fridge awhile now.

A:: Dark cocacola color, head is a dark reddish brown. Head immediately died, no lacing.

S: smell is remniscent of cherry coke and a little bit of cough syrup. Its tough to get much past the cherry.

T: This is awful. Tastes like cough syrup. I get a little bit of milk chocolate in the end, but the initial tart cherry is gross. Reminds me of the cranberry lambic, sam was smart to kill that. The chocolate flavor has a very milky chocolate taste, not the deep coca often associated with stouts. This is awful.

M: I'm too distracted to notice.

O: Drain pour, its really bad, sams is usually good but I often hate their synthetic flavored fruit beers. Stay away unless you enjoyed cranberry lambic. (738 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -41%

My first taste of this beer brought back a flood of memories from my childhood because the taste is a really good approximation of the Vick's cough syrup Mom used to give us for those childhood colds and sniffles.

Some folks may find that a good thing. I'll pass, thank you. (276 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -34.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear, deep brown with a one finger medium tan head. Surprisingly good head retention for Sam Adams although not much in the way of lacing.

Aroma is very cherry with some wisps of chocolate. There is also a cola note and it reminds me of a cherry coke. A bit metallic too.

Flavor is not very good at all. A sweet syrupy cherry flavor permeates throughout and again that cola taste. Chocolate is more muted but is present in the background. Very little in the way of bitterness and a sticky finish.

Overall, Sam Adams missed the mark with this one. I really liked the chocolate bock last year but adding the cherry just messed it up. Too sweet and artificial tasting. (709 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured one and a half bottles into a 1/2 liter stein a deep dark chocolate color with a reddish brown hue,a lighter tan colored head atop,downhill from there.Aromas of maraschino cherries dominate the nose,just artificial and overly sweet.Flavors are cloying and so artificial tasting that it's hard to come up with anything other than sweet as far as a profile goes.It tastes like cherry syrup with a little bit of chocolate.I think Boston Beer Company is a great, and Jim Koch is great, but this beer to me is a slap in the face to craft beer drinkers. (554 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

The beer is a cola color with a cream colored head that quickly disappears to nearly nothing. A few light strings of lacing remain on the glass.

The aroma is liquid cherry with enough chocolate to make this smell like a cherry cordial kind of treat.

The taste is like the aroma, cherry cola tartness with some lactose kind of sugary following. The chocolate is muted, somewhat of a Tootsie Roll taste about it.

The mouthfeel is watery, and so carbonated that it feels exactly like a cherry cola.

Overall, this is the third different beer I've had with cherry in it, and none if them were favorable. This is like a Tootsie Roll cola, and I will try to learn to avoid cherry beers from now on. (723 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -32%

Candied Beer...

I'm offended at the descriptiveness of this beer's label. You have to be more subtle. You can't just come out and say what your beer tastes like.

Speaking of subtlety, there is none in this beer. It is chocolatey like Hershey syrup and cherry-flavored like cherry coke. In other words, it tasted like it was loaded with sugars and artificial flavoring - no love. The 'Bock' part of the beer is just an afterthought. I can't review this like any other bock because the additives totally wreck it. (513 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Nearly black in color with nearly no head and very little stick to the glass. The beer looks somewhat thin.

The aroma is a bit strange; yes, there's chocolate, yes there's some cherry, and yes there's some roasted malt, but it doesn't quite come together as nicely as it sounds on paper. The cherry flavor seems somewhat artificial, perhaps like a (cough) syrup.

The flavor has similar failings: the cherry flavor doesn't come together particularly well and doesn't accentuate any of the positives present in this beer. The roast character is very mild, dominated by artificial chocolate and cherry flavors.

Thin to medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation.

I wasn't a fan of the Chocolate Bock or now this Chocolate Cherry Bock. Apparently, they just aren't for me. That being said, the ice cream Churchill's Pub & Grille made using this ice cream was fantastic. (924 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

On tap at Kindling in Carterville, IL

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black with some ruby highlights around the edges. A bubbly tan head forms and recedes to nothing. Light lace.
S: Artificial cherry extract right up front. Some chocolate and come roast.
T: To much cherry extract here. Some chocolate and roast, but way to artificial.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Though a bit light. Not really for me. I can't get past to fake cherry flavor.

To artificial to be enjoyable. Not something I would recommend. Sam Adams does some very nice beers, but their fruits beers are not among them. (595 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Winter mixer. Bottle poured into a pint glass. 11/30

Pours black, some reddish brown tinting. Light brown/tan foam. Starts tall settles low. Cherry cola with chocolate nose. Candy like sweetness. So far, so good, then...a very sweet taste, cloying, with a fake cherry through. Cola maltiness. Uneven hop hits at the end to rub it in. Sickly sweet, nothing works. A mess.

Made it halfway through, dumped, and gave bottle 2 away. (430 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

P: Deep dark mahogany body nearly black. A massive crown of creamy cappuccino head with decent retention and spider lacing.

S: A big dose of cherry cordials, sweet cherries, dark and milk chocolate, clove, nutmeg, figs, slight presence of anise, and spice bread.

T/M: Taste follows the nose. A pronounced profile of cherry cordial candies. Scorched grains, vanilla bean and finishes semi dry with lingering amaretto coffee. Medium-full body with moderate carb.

O: I'm not a huge fan of cherries. I have always hated cherry cordial candy but I admit this bock is not bad. I really was sure I would not like this but my mind has been changed. This isn't something I would seek out but I'm pleasantly pleased with this brew. On the negative side I feel that cherry presence really overpowers the other flavors. Cheers! (821 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into SA Perfect Pint.

A: Pours a deep cola brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. The light tan head is very dense and thick, and slowly faded into a dense finger of film that lasted the whole beer through. Patchy lace was left down the glass.
S: Smells exactly like cherry tootsie pops, I mean spot on. Cherry is synthetic, sugary sweet, and candy-like, and the chocolate is similarly candy sweet and smells just like a tootsie roll. We have tootsie pops at work, and this seriously smells just like one.
T: The chocolate on the taste still tastes just like a tootsie roll, but overall the flavor is not as sugary sweet as a cherry tootsie roll pop. The cherry is maraschino-like and sweet, and lingers after the swallow. Mild bitterness. Overall the flavors remind me of old, less sweet, cherry coke.
M: Very creamy mouthfeel with soft carbonation and a fluffy and full yet light body. This is the best part of the beer.
O: Not the worst beer, but definitely synthetic and sugary. Tastes as described, and pretty much as expected, but I did not enjoy this one. (1,094 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Looked like a very thick, dark beer when I initially poured it, but was slightly red when held up to the light. Smells like cherries and chocolate obviously. Fairly tart, but smooth. I'm not a fan of cherries, so I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I didn't hate it. (266 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

A: deep shiny dark brown with deep ruby at edges, no carbonation

S: sticky sweet maraschino cherry notes, syrupy smells, it’s like a porter with juice or some artificial puree was added

T: tastes like a chocolate stout that has been skunked with adjunct cherries or an outright extract, the cherry flavor doesn’t seem like part of the initial boil, like when you go to a kitschy 50’s diner and they make you a “Lemon Coke.” It tastes like it would have been competent beer without the cherry notes. They taste tacked on for marketability but a simple bock would have been much more fulfilling than pasting a huge spoiler on a normal economy car.

M: The mouthfeel is watery and light, good balance for the style and then the unwanted cherry guest comes in and starts mucking up the new berber carpets, going through the cupboards, and enacting its unwanted reign.

D: This is very difficult to rate because it feels like they faulted themselves with this venture into shaky adjunct territory. I had a pint of this and it was not over soon enough. The cherry stickiness became even more cloying the warmer that the beer became.

Narrative: Tyler wiped his brow profusely, “come on Tyler, hold it together, this deal is almost sealed, hold it together,” he reassured himself. He looked nervously over at the produce crates and fidgeted with his apron. “Well Tyler, I must say, you are by far the most reasonable cherry wholesaler we have encounter, vastly lower than all other offers, we are inclined to buy from you year-round.” Tyler swallowed hard and looked at the crates labeled “Cherrys” and began to fidget nervously. “Yeah we, we always try and you know, get the cherries, only cherries that, well you know…” The manager of Cost U Cheap Foods looked askance at Tyler and moved towards the crates. “Tyler, these, you know these are juniper berries right? These aren’t even cherries, where did you get these? Is this a joke?” Tyler shot up out of his seat, once again, the jig was up, somehow every produce manager that he encountered knew exactly what a cherry looked like and apparently this was wholly dissimilar to juniper berries. “YOU DIDN’T EVEN GIVE THEM A TRY!” He cried out and spiked his apron on the ground in frustration before bolting out of the room. (2,312 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

Samuel Adams Chocolate Cherry Bock

Pours a dark brown color. Aroma of sweet cherries, chocolate, toffee and alcohol. In the taste, more cherry, with some sweet bock character, but all too sweet. Artificial cherry flavor, lots of malt sweetness and sugars behind it. Cloying. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy. Overall, this would be a good choice for fans of sweet beers, but not one of the better offerings from Boston Beer Co. (433 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -23%

I am not going to go in to an in depth review with this one. I was not impressed. There was basically a large undertone (yes, that is an oxymoron) of artificial cherry in this one. The syrupy cherry extract was all that was noticed in this one. There were some stout/porter underpinnings, but the cherry drove the bus. Not a fan of this one or any of the Cherry iterations from Sam Adams. (388 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- no problems here

Smell- clear cherry smell, probably a bit overwhelming to some but I personally like cherry

Taste- Tasted like cherry cough syrup... absolutely disgusting. I don't know how anyone could like the taste. The chocolate tried to mask the overwhelming cherry flavor but couldn't for me at least.

Mouthfeel- Smooth enough, no problems there.

Overall- I was a few sips in and really didn't even want to finish it. (439 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from the 12 pack from Market Basket
Pours a deep dark brown with faint garnet highlights at the edges and a smallish off white head that quickly dissipates. Aromas of cherry overwhelm my olfactory system. Tart sweet medicinal cough drop conjuring cherry aromas. Everything I hate about Sam Adams cherry wheat unfortunately made it into this beer. Light chocolate and burnt sugars deep underneath, I think. The flavor is sweet medicinal cherry with bits of Hershey's syrup drizzled on top. Hints of dark sugary flavors are there but little else. Medium body with a sweet sticky syrupy mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. I choked down the last of this bottle, but on the bright side my cough cleared up. Now to pawn the remaining bottle off on some unsuspecting Christmas guest. (792 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

This beer looks like any good stout when poured into a glass, with an almost entirely opaque brown-black color and a modest tan head. Even with the word "cherry" in the name, the aroma is surprising and intriguing with how much it reminds me of a freshly opened jar of maraschino cherries. The gimmicky cherry addition doesn't work with the flavor profile, though, with the sweet/sour of the cherries conflicting with the roasted malts and bitter cocoa. The texture is surprisingly light, but the sugary sweetness still makes it a bit syrupy. Overall, the addition of cherries to this recipe is strangely alluring, but the gimmick wears off quickly. (649 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours very dark. You can barely see through it. Up to a light the color is a dark red black. Head is almost nonexistent. Faint chocolate smell and much stronger artificial cherry smell. Initial chocolate taste and finishes with a cherry kick. Very slight sweetness but there's something at the finish that I can't put my finger on. Very artifically cherryish. Somewhat overwhelming but subtle. Dark roasted feel that ends slightly bitter but not much body. Was a bit disappointed in this one. Was expecting stronger chocolate taste. The cherry part is ok without being too sweet. (579 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz. bottle, with label notched at best before April 2014. Another new winter seasonal to me from Samuel Adams, acquired as part of the winter variety mixed twelve pack. Not really sure of what to expect here, so I'm going in unbiased.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours one finger of tan head on top of an opaque chocolate colored body.

S - This thing smells pretty awful, if you ask me. Medicinal cherry, syrupy Amaretto liqueur / K'halua, indistinct spice, and cola / Dr. Pepper.

T - Taste follows the nose, with the addition of chocolate malt. Chocolate malt, a hint of creamy cocoa, some raspberry, medicinal cherry, hot and syrupy Amaretto liqueur taste, and some sugary carbonated cherry cola / Dr. Pepper. Seriously, were they trying to brew a Dr. Pepper beer? Because that's about all I'm getting out of this one.

M - Feel goes down smooth, but finishes sticky and sweet with some spice heat lingering on the end. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, I'd say the chocolate malt is the only thing appealing about this beer, and saves it from being a complete monstrosity. Probably the worst beer I've had from Samuel Adams yet, and definitely one of the strangest tasting beers I've encountered. If you're interested in having a Dr. Pepper beer, look no further. As for the rest of you, avoid.

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock ---3/5. (1,374 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)