1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Slatetank on 04-11-2011)
View: Beers (116) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 711 | Reviews: 169 | Show All Ratings:
bigeyedfish89

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Looks like black coffee, small head with little to no lacing down the glass.

S: Smells very good, like chocolate covered cherries or Cherry Garcia Ice cream from Ben and Jerry's.

T: Not your typical Bock. The cherry taste is very present with some slight mocha coming through. The more I tasted it, the more it tasted like Cherry Coke.

O: Overall, an okay beer, definitely not my favorite from the Winter Sampler.

12-19-2013 02:26:17 | More by bigeyedfish89
Tilley4

Tennessee

Actually not as bad as I was expecting it to be, the beer did leave quite a weird aftertaste that I thought at first were the chocolate malts... not so sure as it got very medicinal in spots and felt artificial... it wasn't horrible as others would have you believe but it certainly isn't a bock and not an excellent fruit beer for that matter either... they could have done something really nice with this had more time been taken but... it is what it is... okay beer but one that I probably wont revisit... I will give the other bottle away to someone...

12-19-2013 02:22:44 | More by Tilley4
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into Sam Smith oversized nonic.

A: Dark, clear mahogany with ruby tones; off-white head fades quickly.

S: Huge cherry cordial and cherry soda; sugary sweet. Caramel is apparent too, making it even more soda-like.

T: More chocolate and cocoa arrives here, with a bittersweet chocolate undertone. Still lots of cherry and caramel; Dr Pepper comes to mind. Finish is a bit chalky with a dusting of some more cocoa.

MF: Medium bodied, semi-prickly carbonation.

O: Too sweet to session, but overall a beer that I believe does what SA wanted it to do.

12-17-2013 17:23:57 | More by Scotchboy
archyquaffer

Montana

4.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured from a longneck into a sampler. A moderate pour creates a 1/2 inch creamy, light tan head. The beer is a deep ruby-brown with plenty of carbonation.

Even my poor nose can smell chocolate covered cherries wafting from the glass. Plenty of chocolate-cherry on the tongue as well, with a little nutty bitterness. The intense, but highly flavorful and complex dark cherry and chocolate manages to not be overbearing and is actually quite delightful without being too sweet.

This is a perfect beer for the Christmas season. I am usually a bit skeptical with some of the additives put in beer, but this one is a winner. The bottle was part of a 12 pack holiday sampler bought for 14.99 and, so far, a very good value. Send more of these chocolate cherry beers please!

12-17-2013 03:10:37 | More by archyquaffer
WoodBrew

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Now I am rating this beer for what the brewer intended....not necessarily that I think this beer is overly amazing. The beer poured a deep almost opaque dark amber with ecru head that is not leaving much of a lace. The scent carries cherries and chocolate. The taste is very similar to the scent and is very sweet...almost like a cherry coke. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall its decent....too sweet for me to session.

12-17-2013 03:08:45 | More by WoodBrew
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.01/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

the highlight of the winter box this year, and an excellent brew overall. if this was made by three floyds or cigar city, people would rave about it, which pisses me off, but i love this beer. rich mocha color on the pour with a slowly rising tan head with alright retention. smells like tart dried cherries and cherry juice with rich dark chocolate and lager yeast, well put together and appropriately proportioned on the fruit. the flavor is outstanding, with the fruit coming on fast but not sweet, and an earthy cocoa coming in to give it a dessert vibe. its layered and unique, and the cherry is just right in intensity. the finish is quick, this is a lager after all, and it cuts the dense body and dark malt mouth coating with a crispness that makes this beer awfully drinkable. a total winner from sam adams here, i wish i could get this around the calendar.

12-16-2013 17:54:01 | More by StonedTrippin
BEERMILER12

Maine

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Pours a dark mahogany color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a nice cap

S: Cherry dominates with both dark and milk chocolate notes in there as well. Light maltiness, but the cherry and chocolate really take over

T: Starts off with quite a bit of sweetness, given off by the cherry and milk chocolate notes. Some maltiness comes in after the fact, but it's fairly one dimensional with the chocolate-covered cherry aspect

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth

O: If this were anything but a holiday beer, it really wouldn't work. Pretty much a mix of their chocolate bock and cherry wheat, it's definitely on the sweet side with nothing to balance. One at a time is the only way to drink this, as it's a dessert in a glass. Glad it only comes in the mix pack because as a sixer, it would last a bit longer than the Christmas season

12-16-2013 07:07:50 | More by BEERMILER12
barnzy78

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, Best Before April
A - dark brown with ruby hues when held to a light. Creamy beige head fades to a foam fairly quickly.
S - sweet chocolate and cherry aroma - chocolate covered cherry comes to mind
T - very sweet, cloyingly at times, chocolate covered maraschino cherry flavor. Not much else though.
M - nice fuller body, exceptionally smooth and creamy, ample carbonation
O - if this wasn't so sweet I think I'd like it more. I know it was meant to be sweet, but it was too sweet for me

12-15-2013 21:13:19 | More by barnzy78
DrDemento456

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Very deep dark black, very thick mocha head. Actually quite impressed since it's around 6%
S - Very Candy like cherry sort of reminding me of chocolate covered cherries, mostly baking sugars, mild candy cherries, and chocolate which is to be expected since it's base is their famous cherry bock.
T - Not bad it's kind of cherry medicinal in taste and the cocoa flavors are kind of powder like with mild roasty notes with some bock caramel sweetness. It's not actually as sweet as most describe. Somewhat enjoyable.
M - Rather smooth light to medium in body.

Overall not saying its disappointing but it could use more more complexity. It was a decent beer strictly for novelty.

12-15-2013 03:44:41 | More by DrDemento456
KTCamm

2.64/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Winter mixer. Bottle poured into a pint glass. 11/30

Pours black, some reddish brown tinting. Light brown/tan foam. Starts tall settles low. Cherry cola with chocolate nose. Candy like sweetness. So far, so good, then...a very sweet taste, cloying, with a fake cherry through. Cola maltiness. Uneven hop hits at the end to rub it in. Sickly sweet, nothing works. A mess.

Made it halfway through, dumped, and gave bottle 2 away.

12-14-2013 14:20:04 | More by KTCamm
StoutHunter

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock in their new winter seasonal variety pack last week at Meijers. I had this beer before a couple years ago at a beer festival and I remember thinking it was just ok, I liked Chocolate Bock so I'm interested to see how this one stacks up, so lets see how it goes. Notched best by April 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice and classy, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown/black color that reminded me a little of cola and it didn't let any light come through with two fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a pretty prominent cherry aroma that smells pretty artificial and it reminds me of the cherry aspect in their Cherry Wheat. Up next comes some light grainy, roasted malts, and cocoa powder like aromas that's similar to the original chocolate bock and the combination of chocolate and cherry flavors remind me of a cherry tootsie pop, it's very similar. The aroma was decent, but i'm not a big fan of that artificial cherry aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a cherry flavor up front that has that same artificial cherry aspect that it did in the aroma. Up next comes some light malty flavors with lots of cocoa powder flavors coming through. On the finish there's a low amount of bitterness with a light cherry and heavy cocoa powder like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I still can't get behind that artificial cherry aspect.

M- Smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just barely decent and It really isn't recognizable as a bock, but I think it's a pretty average example of a fruit infused dark beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, rich, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row, i think that artificial cherry taste would really wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel, they were both nice and the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the cherry aspect, it was just too artificial for me and I would have have liked it to taste more natural and a little tart. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own, it's just not for me and I would only recommend it to people who like that same cherry aspect that's in their Cherry Wheat. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, I liked the original Chocolate Bock much more and I don't think the cherry helped this beer out. This was my least favorite beer in this years winter seasonal variety pack. I wasn't a big fan of this years winter variety pack, I thought last years was much better. Better luck next guys, Chocolate Bock was fine just the way it was.

12-14-2013 04:43:20 | More by StoutHunter
ALC82

Iowa

4.45/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I just finally tried this beer a month ago, it shot right to the top 10 on my list! I truly love the cherry and chocolate combination. They have hit it right on the head w/ the pairing, neither taste overwhelming the other. My only mark against it would be the slightly flat taste of the bock, I would prefer it to provide a bit headier pour (may not be possible?!?) Otherwise excellent work Sam Adams!

12-13-2013 21:14:05 | More by ALC82
RingoBro

2.73/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Looked like a very thick, dark beer when I initially poured it, but was slightly red when held up to the light. Smells like cherries and chocolate obviously. Fairly tart, but smooth. I'm not a fan of cherries, so I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I didn't hate it.

12-12-2013 19:13:06 | More by RingoBro
Vixie

3.29/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks black when you first pour it, but when held up to the light, it's actually a very deep red. The white head doesn't stay around long, leaving a bit of lacing.

Not much smell that I can detect, mainly chocolate and some fruit, likely from the cherries.

The taste is pretty straightforward, chocolate and cherries. This is basically the liquid equivalent of a chocolate covered cherry.

Feel is smooth and solid.

This is a pretty simple beer without a lot of complexity, but is just as advertised. I found the chocolate and cherries to be nicely balanced, which made for a decent beer. This won't make any top beers list, but was a nice addition to this year's holiday pack.

12-12-2013 01:56:02 | More by Vixie
traumabob

2.03/5  rDev -42%

My first taste of this beer brought back a flood of memories from my childhood because the taste is a really good approximation of the Vick's cough syrup Mom used to give us for those childhood colds and sniffles.

Some folks may find that a good thing. I'll pass, thank you.

12-11-2013 15:35:47 | More by traumabob
mfnmbvp

12 oz. bottle, with label notched at best before April 2014. Another new winter seasonal to me from Samuel Adams, acquired as part of the winter variety mixed twelve pack. Not really sure of what to expect here, so I'm going in unbiased.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours one finger of tan head on top of an opaque chocolate colored body.

S - This thing smells pretty awful, if you ask me. Medicinal cherry, syrupy Amaretto liqueur / K'halua, indistinct spice, and cola / Dr. Pepper.

T - Taste follows the nose, with the addition of chocolate malt. Chocolate malt, a hint of creamy cocoa, some raspberry, medicinal cherry, hot and syrupy Amaretto liqueur taste, and some sugary carbonated cherry cola / Dr. Pepper. Seriously, were they trying to brew a Dr. Pepper beer? Because that's about all I'm getting out of this one.

M - Feel goes down smooth, but finishes sticky and sweet with some spice heat lingering on the end. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, I'd say the chocolate malt is the only thing appealing about this beer, and saves it from being a complete monstrosity. Probably the worst beer I've had from Samuel Adams yet, and definitely one of the strangest tasting beers I've encountered. If you're interested in having a Dr. Pepper beer, look no further. As for the rest of you, avoid.

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock ---3/5.

12-11-2013 05:21:07 | More by mfnmbvp
sukwonee

Washington

4.19/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow, I didn't expect anything out of this one and yet was totally surprised by it.

If this beer had a tad bit higher alcohol and was a bit sweeter, it would have reached the "great" status (for me anyway)...

A: Black body with 1 finger beige head. Looks like thicker cola.

S: Cherries dominate. It kind of smells like cherry covered chocolate. Cocoa nibs, cherry coke, cherries, tad bit of caramel.

T: It's very very very good. I am not sure why this beer isn't rated higher. I just wish that it was a bit sweeter. It has a ton of flavor for a relatively low alcohol beer. Dry chocolate flavor from cocoa nibs, cherries. I don't pick up as much caramel in the taste.

M: It's on the thicker side for the style. No alcohol is detected. Starts off smooth but it does have sharp carbonation towards the middle end.

Maybe I am rating this a bit higher than I should but I reallly think this should be rated about a 4.0. Give this one a try.

12-10-2013 05:56:56 | More by sukwonee
Dodo2step

4.09/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

P- Al's of Hampden

A- dark black molasses color with a tan half finger head. minimal lacing and doesn't coat the pint glass.

S- strong cherry smell with hints of malt. sugary molasses smell as well. very aromatic

F- just like the title...chocolate cherry but not so much as eating a one. It is more chocolate with cherry hints. as you continue to drink the cherry becomes more pronounced.

M- creamy and tart like. goes down easy for a stout.

O- a good cherry stout. above average. worth a sixer

12-06-2013 22:26:28 | More by Dodo2step
nukem5

4.38/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a nice cola/coffee color with a solid finger of tan foamy goodness.

S: Aroma is of milk chocolates and cherries, Light notes of sweet malts and a hint of molases.

T: Taste is an awesome explosion of cherry tootsie pops or cherry cordials, sweet cherry and chocolate caramel.

M: Mouthfeel is silky smooth and full bodied, lightly carbed ...mmm.

O: Overall a very solid beer, Thanks Jim and crew! Sadly they were the first everyone drank from the case will definitly drink this one again, and sad as it is I did not miss the chocolate bock this year, it was way better with the cherry.

12-06-2013 03:21:51 | More by nukem5
Resuin

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. "Enjoy by" May 2014.

Appearance: Pours a deep, deep brown and leaves a finger of tan head that fizzles away quickly to a layer around the glass.

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries! Those ones with the liquid centers with a cherry. I really enjoy those, and this smells just like those. There are some malts in the background but the sweet chocolate, maraschino cherry and vanilla really stand out strong.

Taste: Follows the smell really well. Leads with cocoa, and this is quickly followed with sweet cherries, vanilla and malts, followed by more cocoa. Great dessert drink flavors here. Not too complex but I love the flavors.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a light to medium, smooth body. Finishes smooth.

Overall: I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I'm definitely a sucker for cherries, and this beer did that right for me. Drinkability is really high. What you'll get here is chocolate and cherries. Not a whole much else, and I'm fine with that for this beer. My favorite beer from Sam Adams that I've had so far.

12-06-2013 02:10:15 | More by Resuin
stewart124

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Dark brown to mohaghany in color with a nice centimeter of tan head.

Cherry cola in the nose. Some vanilla and a sweeter cherry note then expected.

Taste is solid though. Medium bodied with a silky smooth character. Great malt bill that gives way to a touch of cherry. The chocolate is muted overall unless you can pull more from the mouthfeel.

Nicely done but I am not sure if I could drink more than one in a sitting.

12-06-2013 02:09:35 | More by stewart124
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

Light beige head. Color is nearing back.

Flavor profile: Starts out with cocoa and chocolate. Very malty. Then a bit of cherry hits. Reminds me of chocolate covered cherries. It has a bit of caramel and some roasted malts. Dark fruit flavors. Molasses to finish things off.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. A lot of carbonation in this one. Too much. Ends roasted.

Overall, a decent offering from Sam Adams. I like the addition of cherry in this one to add a bit of tartness and sweetness. Enjoyable.

12-06-2013 02:06:28 | More by mothman
RankRefugee88

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A - Dark body with a reddish glow. Off white head. Not much if any lacing.

S - Dr. Pepper. Yum.

T - Better than the old Chocolate Bock. The cherry really balances out the chocolate. Dark fruits, especially cherry, chocolate, bread. Almost tastes like a cherry marmalade (if that exists) spread over a chocolate graham cracker.

M - Creamy, rich. Mouth feels of SA's beers are usually on point.

O - Better than the old chocolate bock for sure. I like it a lot, just doesn't deserve high scores when it's being reviewed as a beer. But I love Dr. Pepper and this tastes like a beer version so I'm a fan.

12-05-2013 16:33:38 | More by RankRefugee88
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a thin head on a black body.
The aroma is a solid cherry chocolate smell, nothing but that. It smells like a candy of the same flavor. It's almost too rich even knowing it's on purpose.
The taste is a toned down version of the smell. The chocolate sweetness is fairly mild. The cherry and malt are there too, but it's balanced nicely.
The texture is on the sticky side with moderate carbonation.
The taste lacks complexity, but it might be nice to sip on a cold night in front of a fire.

12-05-2013 02:23:29 | More by Fatehunter
atr2605

3.5/5  rDev 0%

A-pours a deep red amber with a tan head with decent retention
S-caramel, chocolate, and cherries
T-more the same with chocolate and caramel dominating up front followed with cherry and finishes fairly sweet as well
M-medium bodied low carbonation
O-pretty tasty, definitely not traditional but a nice change of pace.

12-05-2013 02:00:57 | More by atr2605
Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)