Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau MittelfruehSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011)
3.83/5  rDev +7%

A decent bitterness and drinkability. The bitterness is somewhat complex, lemony,pineapplely,spicey.Average mouthfeel. Cloudy yellow with a little retained head. Mild hoppy aroma. Sweetness slightly cloying. A median IPA, maybe better than others in the series, but interesting.

Sammy, Sep 18, 2011

t0rin0, Aug 26, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

djrn2, Jun 07, 2014

nmann08, Nov 15, 2011

zestar, Aug 19, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a nice large foamy head with good retention. Aroma consists of light dry hops with some light floral notes with a semi-sweet caramel malt base. Taste is also a mix between some semi-sweet caramel malt that are overshadowed by some dry and slightly astringent hops. Body is about average with good carbonation. Interesting experiment with more citrusy notes then I would have expected even though it is not the dominating flavour.

Phyl21ca, Aug 18, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

light amber with a huge foamy head. took a few pours to really get a good sense of the beer. lots of carbonation kept it looking very lively.

aroma is lots of light citrus and light grains, hints of orange peel, lemon, and touches of grapefruit and a nice and well balanced light malt mid palate. very light body and flavor, clean with a nice light dry after taste that begs you to drink more from the first sip you take.

overall a really solid beer

mikesgroove, Nov 06, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

A: The beer pours a dark amber color, almost copper with a finger of slightly off-white head.

S: Not quite as sweet as the other varieties. Some caramel and bready malts to it and a little brown sugar. Grassy and floral hops with a touch of spice to it. Mild citrus zest and yeast.

T: Good hop flavor with lots of floral and mild spice notes. Hints of sweetness on the back end of it and some bready malts. Only a mild bitterness. A tiny bit of citrus and citrus zest on the back end.

M: Medium in the body and carbonation.

O: Thus far the least offensive of the variations. Still not something I'd necessarily care to have again.

womencantsail, May 12, 2011

jaydoc, Sep 02, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Let's pull up the initial Latitude 48 review:

"Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark amber body with an initially fluffy, though ultimately short-lived, whitish head.

Smell: Sweetish light-colored caramel sauce paired with oven toaster-toasted biscuit tops. Aromatic pops of hoppy spices, lemon juice, and dried, tea-like herbs fill the nose.

Taste: A maltiness tasting of toasted biscuits hit with a small-sized spoonful of caramel and toffee. There’s a short-lived sweetness that drops out in anticipation of the incoming hops, which bring about a mixture of grassy herbs, lightly earthy spice, and lemon peel (a bit of pith included). Well-integrated bitterness. A last hint of dry caramel and spiced tea on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lat-48 comes up just shy of the medium body mark. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A tasty, nicely hoppy brew without hitting you over the head with scorching bitterness. "It’s an ale." --Matt Simpson. Too right, Matt, too right."

OK. Well, appearance and mouthfeel are the similar all across the board and in step with the original, as is the underlying malt character. Herbaceous, leafy hops with some subtle dried lemon. In a roundabout way, it reminds me of a slightly bumped up SABL, in terms of ABV and IBU's, and, of course, the yeast. Is there a particular order I'm supposed to do this in? This is third after Ahtanum and Simcoe as is, so far, my fav of the bunch.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 26, 2012

This IPA poured out as a dark golden color, almost like a burnt orange. Couldn't really see through the glass either once the beer was in it. The head was about one finger in thickness and lasted for the majority of the time I was drinking it. The lacing was light but did show itself nicely on the glass. The smell of the beer was more mild than I expected it to be. The malts and hops worked well together here. The taste of the beer was nice and hoppy, the flavors of lemon zest came to mind along with some pine notes. The aftertaste was mostly malty and dry. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and tingles the tongue with each sip. Overall I thought this was a very enjoyable IPA. I'd consider drinking this one again one day if I come across it.

Knapp85, Aug 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Poured out a clear, bronze color with gold highlights. It had a one-finger head of bubbly, off-white foam that left patchy trails of lace.

S - It smelled piney and grassy with some burnt toast maltiness.

T - It tasted piney and woody with a sharp burnt toast maltiness. Good bittersweet balance of flavors.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is pretty tasty. I like this version of Latitude 48.

zeff80, May 17, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, caramelized malts and some fruity citrus.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of citrus, caramel and some tea. Then an earthy, strong but not over-powering hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it’s a bit better than the regular version of Latitude 48 IPA and overall a pretty solid beer.

TheManiacalOne, Jun 01, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -5%

I seem to recall reading that Sam Adams used a lot of Hallertau in their beer? Is that right? Well, anyways. On to this beer.

This beer seems a bit tame to me. Oily and smooth, but lacking a real distinct flavor profile. The hops don't really come through with much punch, though they do work enough to make this one drinkable. This is decent, but really not worthy of sticking around on the scene.

RblWthACoz, Aug 25, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

This one starting off isn't going to be my favorite a strong distinct lemon note goes through my nares and across my palate it's pretty rough within the structure of this malt base. Nose is actually nice a full on lemongrass experience with hints of pine, malts seem a bit dull here and less expressive than the other versions I've had thus far. Flavor is much less expressive than I thought it was going to be, finishes grassy/mild pine with lemon throughout. The caramel malt and overall breadiness really takes over within the dominant flavor profile. Some astringent bitteress in the finish, doesn't work well with the hops so far this one isn't working for me. Mouthfeel is medium bodied even carbonation this one really has a lingering citrus peel bitterness that's hard to get past. Overall experience is that certain hops really work well with certain malts, this isn't a catch all work for every situation hop and to my knowledge it's usually combined with other hops.

WVbeergeek, Apr 30, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +2%

Pours an effervescent honey apricot with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Great head retention & lacing

S: leafy & floral notes, some pear notes lurking in the background

T: Follows the nose, apricot, some breadyness & woody hops also up front. Dryness & leafy hops take the lead as this warms, some pear & apricot as well

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation & fair balance

Decent IPA, but not one I would ever buy again, unless I found it on draft. I really only liked the simcoe iteration

russpowell, May 28, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +7%

another real time review since I don't have a notebook handy, hope this stays put. Poured chilled into a a double walled tumber.

A deep copper color, the cap is a full 2 finger cap of rocky beige with tight beading. The clarity and retention are both good. The smell is very light, a nice herbal aroma emerges as it warms slightly with a mild pine accent. The delicate Hallertau is interesting in an IPA, but it is a familiar hop for pilsners and it almost tricks me into thinking that's is what I am about to drink based on aroma alone. Very interesting, yet not exactly bitter, moderate bitterness which provides a resinous body, the malt is somewhat sweet and adds a moderate creamy feel with the relatively high carbonation.

The taste is pleasant, with herbal and almost spiced hop flavors on first sip. The herbal taste is not quite grassy, but definitely has some floral elements. The taste has a slight fruitiness with a tinge of earthy twiggy flavor from the Noble hops, the malt seems to blend with the hop well, not really standing out except to give a little sweetness to the IPA, there is a mild peppery taste accenting the taste into the finish. Overall I like this but can't say this is what I think of when I think of an American IPA, but it isn't that bad, I like it well enough and think I admire Samuel Adams for continuing to do unique offerings. The Style is not necessarily their forte, but at least they will give us a chance to try Latitude 48 with several single hop versions. I recommend trying it if you enjoy hoppy beers or noble hops in general.

Slatetank, Aug 10, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

My Sam Adams perfect pint glass and I had a marathon session last night sessioning these session IPAs from Session Adams. I wanted to power through all 6 but alas I tapped out at 5, what a wimp...I know.

Beer is red / amber with a soft white head of small bubbles, some retention, not as much as the simcoe, nice lacing, moderate carbonation, looks good.

The aroma on this one is really really fruity, like fruit flavored gum, it is sweet like gum too. These hops do the best job covering up the Sam Adams malt aroma.

Beer is medium bodied and the hops do not result in a bitter beer but rather a sweet malty beer followed by a sweet fruity hop midpalate cornucopia of esters, perhaps some yeast contribution here. Eh...probably my second favorite but that sticky sweet hop flavor with no bitterness isn't really jollying my roger.

drabmuh, May 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Gonna review all these with just the hop changes, mostly copy paste.

A: Clear amber orange color. Light head, no real lacing.

N: Light malts, bit toasty reddish crystal malts. Light earthy hops, slightly fruity hops.

T: Semi sweet malts, toasty crystal and reddish malts. Light bitterness, bit spicy hops, light fruity touch of chewy hops, gets pretty bitter and spicy on the finish, chewy green hop flavor on the finish.

M: Med bodied, decent carb.

O: Nice hoppy flavors, gets pretty bitter, a nice hop that kinda goes through both bittering and a bit of flavor. I love this hop, not a heavy huge hop, but really nice aromas and flavors, subtle and good hop.

jlindros, May 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

The beer pours a nice dark golden/amber color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a solid pale and light crystal malt scent along with a mildly bitter hop aroma. There is a faint bread-like character. The taste is decent as well. It has a pretty aggressive hop flavor that blends nicely with the pale, biscuit, and crystal malts. It has a grassy/floral character; much like a typical East coast IPA. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking IPA. I'm not a huge fan of this particular hop character, but it doesn't turn me off as well.

WesWes, May 28, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

My favorite of the Deconstructed IPAs. Rich flavors without total hop overdose. Warm and even malty. Bitterness is the aftertaste, but the rich malt carries on well. Nice nose of flowers and the golden buds of Yunnan tea (sorry to be esoteric but it's a spicy, malty aroma). Less of the pine and turpentine and more deep mellow flavors. I will definitely look for this hop if SA or others give it star billing. Golden orange in the glass.

I recapped a 12 oz bottle and the next day it poured smooth and well carbonated, with nice lacing in the big tulip. Whatever you think of Sam Adams recipes, they are totally on top of the technical aspects of beer.

mactrail, Sep 30, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

The beer pours a dark copper color with a large white head. The aroma is somewhat faint and filled with bread and grass. The flavor is a little more pronounced. I get some grass and orange notes from the hops, as well as some iced tea notes and some bready malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not as good as the Zeus.

Mora2000, May 05, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Tell me, fellow BA's, that this isn't totally cool. Custom made for our style brewmania! I chose to start with the more delicate hallertau hop to see what happens....

Typical look--copper amber color, clear. Good initial ring lace. A fine head that settles to a thin bubble layer.

Absolutely beautiful aroma that reminds me of the finer Czech pilsners, not that that is surprising. Floral and succulent. Excellent darker pale malt base. In short, a superb smell.

The taste is harshly bitter with almost a hot pepper bite. The swallow is particularly dry-ish and lip-smacking. The aftertaste seems to last forever and is like sucking on a hop pellet. Not very balanced. I like the body--a bit above average with a carbonation level to match.

smcolw, May 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Sampled May 2011
Same color head and body, more careful two-finger thick head in large Tripel Karmeliet Tulip. Orange rind and berry aromatics lead the way, but are much accentuated by a caramelized malt character. Herbal and spicy notes are much more subdued than I was expecting; it makes me wonder if they put the wrong beer in this bottle. Toasted malt notes add a whole grain toastiness and biscuit like character to the nose that plays a secondary role. A touch of lemon like character is noticeable once I really start digging & my wife pointed that the nose smells quite floral, and now that she has mentioned it I completely agree; a floral, almost distinctly rose like note seems to be the biggest aromatic component in this beer.

Spicy, bitter hop notes greet my palate as I take my first sip, this is followed by a caramelized and biscuit like maltiness in the finish and again a clean, spicy, bitter hop character in the finish. Lightly sweet tasting, though I have a feeling after eating dinner that my perception of sweetness is a bit reduced, with a chewy malt middle that is more savory than sweet. The flavor is much more herbal and spicy than the aroma was, but there is still a big floral, rose / carnation like character here in the flavor as well. The bitterness here is quite spicy and quite smooth and not nearly as biting as the regular Latitude 48. The floral character is really quite spicy, almost peppery in a green way. The floral hop character has a certain fruitiness to it that is sort of berry like and perhaps a touch of citrus. The body has a fullness to it that is a bit chewy and definite has some viscosity to it.; I definitely prefer a lighter, crisper body in my IPAs (as well as ones that are much lighter in color), and for some reason this extra heft just doesn’t work for me as well as it did in the regular version.

Interesting, this tastes a fair amount different than what I expected; it even is quite a bit different than the lemon and pine character that the label says it should taste like. This works as an IPA hop much more than I would have expected with the floral and spicy characters being a really nice addition; I could even see myself using this particular hop (assuming I could actually get some) as part of the hop blend in my own American IPAs. This beer is certainly quite a bit more interesting and tasty because of this particular hop.

Gueuzedude, Aug 04, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

XmnwildX12, Nov 22, 2013
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)