1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent GoldingsSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 274 | Reviews: 155 | Show All Ratings:
RblWthACoz

3.33/5  rDev -4%

This seems a bit one dimensional. Decent (at best) character from the hops. Kind of tangy with a minimal earthy tone. It's "ok." Not my favorite of the series. Single hopped beers seem to often dwell in mediocrity, and this is a typical example of a resident.

08-25-2012 17:48:22 | More by RblWthACoz
ToddT

4.03/5  rDev +16.1%

A- Clear amber topped with a medium off white head. Head falls quickly to a cap and leaves spotty lace on the glass.

S- Low key citrus notes, aroma is almost non existent.

T- Doesn't follow the nose, thankfully. Very little taste at first then it builds to a nice note of citrus and a hint of floral right before the finish. Different notes in this hop than what I am used to, nice slight bitter effect right before the finish. Finish is dry and very clean with a slight bitter note that lasts.

M- Medium in body and in carbonation. Very clean in the mouth, this hop could work in a lot of different styles.

O- Interesting just for the hop variety alone. If I was a home brewer I could think of all kinds of things to put this in. The 6% ABV is hidden and not over the top for the style. Interesting experiment from Boston Beer to deconstruct an IPA into it's hop components and let us taste them separately and then together over these six beers. Mikkeller does something similar with their single hop series and I applaud the fact that Boston Beer has taken it a step further.

03-16-2012 05:48:07 | More by ToddT
neenerzig

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into one of my mugs from a 12 oz bottle. This beer pours a nice clear medium amber color with a nice tan head about an inch thick when poured that eventually settles to a nice thick surface coating with some very good lacing. Very good head retention! Best head retention I've seen in a beer for awhile now. Has a nice toasty caramel malt aroma upfront, followed by with a nice earthy, citrus hop aroma. Has a nice sweet toasty biscuit caramel malt sweetness, followed by some citrus, grassy and earthy hop bitterness. Rounded out with some hints of spice. The sweet malty flavor certainly dominates as the bitter hop flavors dissipated from my tongue a bit. A bit underwhelming in the hop bitterness department for an IPA. Has a crisp, frothy, and medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation along with a dry aftertaste. An enjoyable beer, but certainly not the best one in this series.

Eric

02-02-2012 04:21:16 | More by neenerzig
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Let's pull up the initial Latitude 48 review:

"Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark amber body with an initially fluffy, though ultimately short-lived, whitish head.

Smell: Sweetish light-colored caramel sauce paired with oven toaster-toasted biscuit tops. Aromatic pops of hoppy spices, lemon juice, and dried, tea-like herbs fill the nose.

Taste: A maltiness tasting of toasted biscuits hit with a small-sized spoonful of caramel and toffee. There’s a short-lived sweetness that drops out in anticipation of the incoming hops, which bring about a mixture of grassy herbs, lightly earthy spice, and lemon peel (a bit of pith included). Well-integrated bitterness. A last hint of dry caramel and spiced tea on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lat-48 comes up just shy of the medium body mark. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A tasty, nicely hoppy brew without hitting you over the head with scorching bitterness. "It’s an ale." --Matt Simpson. Too right, Matt, too right."

OK. Well, appearance and mouthfeel are the similar all across the board and in step with the original, as is the underlying malt character. Last but not least, the EKG's! Leafy, soundly earthy aroma with subdued floral, peeled lemon hints. It was enjoyed, and, as it is the final Deconstructed brew (I donated their duplicates to KP), let's put'm in order from top to bottom:

Hallertau, EKG tying with the Simcoe, followed by Ahtanum and, lastly, the Zeus (is loose).

01-26-2012 18:37:11 | More by ChainGangGuy
aggiearcher13

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Golden orange and crystal clear. Light citrus aromas, orange dominates. Taste is clean orange peel and a slightly sweet and malty backbone. Pretty well balanced, not too hoppy but good. Body is quite good for the style, probably the residual sugars which also contribute to excellent lacing. Overall, one of the better IPAs I've had from Sam Adams.

11-11-2011 03:36:31 | More by aggiearcher13
TippySelenoid

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip.

It's a coppery hue, hazy, with a white head that laces quickly.

It's smell is faint, but it's earthy. The hops seem low key in this one.

This is a very malty beer. The East Kent Goldings hops give it a very dark flavor. It's earthy with a slight hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.

A medium bodied beer that doesn't have too much carbonation.

This is the third of the Deconstructed pack that I bought. It's my least favorite thus far. Not a bad beer but it's almost a pale ale by my American sensibilities.

11-04-2011 22:21:32 | More by TippySelenoid
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is orange and appears mostly clear. The off white head begins about an inch thick, settling at a quarter inch, leaving plenty of lacing on the pint glass. The aroma offers toasted bread, floral notes, subtle tea scents, as well as some earthy hops. The flavor is a balance of hops and malt, as is consistent with the other beers in this series. Earthy pine and resin. Decent. The finish offers some lingering hop notes. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation level. Another mediocre IPA from Sam Adams.

10-15-2011 00:55:10 | More by Huhzubendah
peacebone116

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to MrTopher for this collection--poured from bottle to snifter on 7/30/11.

A: Bright copper with a head that fades to nice lace.

N: Caramel & black pepper.

T/M: Caramel malt up front with a spicy, (almost nondescript) bitterness; not overly complex but interesting and well constructed.

Definitely comes off as an English-style IPA, as the malt plays a larger role in the flavor profile. Good clean finish with a medium/light mouthfeel.

10-13-2011 21:24:18 | More by peacebone116
BeardedRiker

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

Up next with Samuel Adam's Latitude 48 IPA is their version using hops from Southern England, in East Kent. Hence the East Kent Golding version of this Deconstructed IPA. After drinking four of these I have to say none of them are that great, probably because only one type of hops is used in each, but I do find it interesting and educational in tasting each different hop type.

Like all of the Latitude 48s I've poured out this one looks good. Nice two finger, creamy-frothy and off-white head with good retention. I'm getting some damn good lacing on this one. Orange-copper color the beer is, as Yoda would say. There's some sediment swirling around in there too much not much.

It's hard smelling this knowing it's using English hops and not think it smells like that. Earthy hops bring out some orange-lemon citrus and bit of spice. It's very biscuity and a tad piney. Fruitiness is of peach and apricot. It's weird how I don't really like most fruits but I know what their smell is.

Nothing really to complain about here. Peppery, acidic, earthy, and citrusy hops balance out well with biscuity malt and fruit sweetness. A tad phenoly but not a put off.

I'd say the mouthfeel is a bit light for my taste but it's syrupy and more dry than the others that I remember. Medium carbonation.

10-12-2011 20:39:17 | More by BeardedRiker
ikats

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours amber in color with nice off-white, sticky head. Aroma is sweet. I feel there is biscuity sweetness from malts and fruity sweetness from the East Kent Goldings hops. Definitely some apricot notes. I like how the hops provide a nice floral and fruity aroma without being in your face. Taste is similar. Biscuity malty base provides support for hoppy bitterness. Hops are not overpowering. In fact bitterness only comes across fully in the aftertaste. Very drinkable (again especially if you like bitterness to linger). Medium-light body. I find that these hops by themselves are not enough for a balanced IPA.

This is my first beer of the Boston Beer's Latitude 48 IPA set. At first I wanted to taste and compare all in one session, but six IPAs in a row is beyond my abilities. So I think I'll settle on three days of two beers each. I look at it as an experiment, so my grade reflects general opinion of a version (as opposed to grading to style). I am enjoying being able to try the same base beer with different hops.

09-27-2011 01:12:07 | More by ikats
chinchill

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle dated best by Sept. 2011.

Appearance: a beautiful clear orange-amber in color with a good head that lasted a long time. Light carbonation visible. Good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: More earthy than the standard Latitude IPA as well as at least some of the other deconstructed versions. Some floral and fruit notes and ample malt aromas.

Taste: good flavor without flaws excepting the light hop/heavy malt balance and the less appealing (but still definitely appealing) hop flavor component (earthy and herbal).

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and smooth; soft for style yet with some crispness; slightly dry finish.

Overall: As a fan of standard Latitude 48 (my BA rating is an A), I was surprised to like most of the single-hop versions nearly as much. That said, this is not my favorite of these. Like the others, it lacks some of the complexity of the 'regular' version, but this one also lacks the hop-forward character and aroma. Hop-wise, it is more of an APA than IPA.
But getting past comparison to standard Latitude 48 and expectations for an IPA, this is a very enjoyable brew that grew better with repeated tasting.

09-18-2011 23:28:26 | More by chinchill
JamesS

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a great copper color with great head and very nice lacing. Excellent deep sweet malty aroma with a great hop hit at the end. Interesting taste, with great malt sweetness, slight caramel flavors, and a wonderful slightly earthy and slightly floral hoppiness. Went down quite well indeed!

09-16-2011 18:49:46 | More by JamesS
hustlesworth

4.13/5  rDev +19%

A- clear copper amber colored with a huge cap of ecru foam. there's tons of lace and the head forms big dents as it settles. topping off my glass, the extremely stable foam rises up above the lip all rocky and beautiful.

S- earthy, spicy, floral, a nice citrus kick, and caramel and toffee, cookie, brown sugar, and brown bread. a real 'english' smelling beer and it conjures up images of fuller's esb and sam smith's ipa. exclusive use of the goldings has so far transformed this american ipa into an english one.

T- bright hoppy flavor with a full measure of zesty bitterness. hop flavor lasts from start to finish with an earthy, herbal, dried grapefruit peel flavor and some lime pith. some toffee-ish malt sweetness levels the scales a bit. clean water flavor comes through also which is nice. finishes with an equal balance of malt and hops.

MF- juicy then becoming dry and leaving a minor sticky resinous feeling. nice mid level carbonation.

D- another good one for the deconstruction. not a hop bomb but entirely drinkable. like a hopped up english ipa.

08-30-2011 05:22:44 | More by hustlesworth
albertjr21

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

# 5 of 6 Reviews in the Deconstructed Series. Enjoyed in a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint on 8-28-11.

A: A clear and bright rusty orange with a well sustained off white on top.

S: A moderate but fragrant nose of earthy flowery hops and sweet refreshing tropical fruit.

M: A very herbal and earthy citrus hop wash really displays itself at the opening for me and quickly washes over the palate to a refined bitter resonance in the finish. That's a mild IPA, but crisp and refreshing nonetheless with a solid malt body to complement.

T: There's a good amount of simple yet much appreciated flavor to the chosen hop with notes of blended pungent citrus rind and toasted malt goodness.

08-28-2011 22:12:02 | More by albertjr21
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

I was of two minds on this beer, so to see such a variance of opinions just confirms my own feelings. This was a very drinkable beer, once. Bold orange citrus flavour above all else,hoppy though not a palate flattener. as good as it is for what it is, I think I prefer a melange of hops and something more balanced.

08-28-2011 05:02:31 | More by Sammy
tronester

Oklahoma

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a clear amber with a big creamy light tan head. Smells slightly of earthy hops. Taste is Caramel sweetness up front, followed by some raw piney bitterness. A bit of dried fruit in the finish. Mouthfeel is good, low carbonation. Overall a pretty good beer, not my favorite Latitude 48 though.

08-21-2011 00:42:40 | More by tronester
woodychandler

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: East Kent Goldings; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: East Kent, UK; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 East Kent Goldings IPA is brewed with only East Kent Goldings hops, a variety first used in brewing in the 1700s in East Kent, England. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. East Kent Goldings hops contribute a mellow bitterness to this brew, along with earthy, floral, and apricot notes, balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the five different malts."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the second of the six.

I had barely popped the cap when a modicum of head began to form and push its way up through the neck of the bottle. I began to scramble for a glass when it inexplicably stopped, leaving just a little bit of foam sticking out of the top of the bottle. I ran my tongue over it just for kicks and it tasted like earthy, woody hops. Now, I was ready! It was like a tease for me and I fell for it! The beer now flowed from the bottle like one of my old girlfriends running down the pier as my ship pulled in. We were equally anxious to meet one another. I was faced with a finger of dense, medium-tan head that was slowly sinking, a la the Titanic. I took comfort that only heavy, sticky lacing was left in its wake and not dead and dying passengers. Color was a deep-copper with NE-quality clarity and I have to hand it to the brewers - color is difficult to mirror in hops varietals. Nose was, well, EKG. It is a varietal that makes its way into a lot of beers, especially Samuel Smith's, and has an exquisite earthy aroma that its both unique and pleasant. It is like having Mother Earth for your girlfriend and if you have ever had a neo- (or original-) hippie chick for your girlfriend, you will dig what I am trying to impart. Terroir? This is terroir in beer, amigos mio, and it is like coming home to a familiar friend. Baby, I know you, I know your scent and none of it ever gets old. Mouthfeel was soft, caressing, with a flavor of grass, earth (think a freshly-mown or plowed field) and the apricots that I never thought of, but now noticed, especially on the finish. The finish was more mellow than Mellow Mushroom (a pizza chain in the southeast that I really miss) and I found myself falling into the arms of Morpheus. For the unaware/uninitiated, hops are in the same family as marijuana (gasp!) and if you ever needed proof, EKG will give it to you. This is mellow on a grand scale. This is spooning after exquisite lovemaking mellow. This is easy (and mellow) like Sunday morning. Catch my drift? I think I am going to lay down for a moment at this point. Man, I am so mellow ... Dig?

08-21-2011 00:33:34 | More by woodychandler
prototypic

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

I believe this is my fourth of the Deconstructed Latitude 48 series – East Kent Goldings.

This one pours a deep copper color. It’s clear, and has nice orange highlights with backlighting. Not bad. A cream colored head sits on top. It rises to about a finger and a half in height, and takes its time receding. A really nice coat of sticky lace trails down the glass.

The nose is pretty average. Definitely on the weak side. It does feature the typical toasted and caramel scents up front. The East Kent Golding hops add a grassy, floral scent to the mix. It works pretty well with the malt base. More strength all-around would help though. Alcohol is masked well and isn’t noticeable at all. Average at best. More muscle would really help.

The flavor is also rather average. The malt base consists of toasted and caramel varieties. No surprise there. It’s alright. Not bad. The hops do add a very grassy, floral flavor. It complements the malt flavors pretty well, but isn’t all that strong. Not very bitter either. Very balanced. An American IPA definitely needs a stronger hop presence than this. It’s not overtly bad, but it’s not very good either. Alcohol isn’t noticeable. Finishes sweet and malty with just a touch of grass.

The body is light-medium. Carbonation is mid-range, but doesn’t seem buzzy. It’s not exactly smooth, but it’s pretty good. Goes down easy enough. I’d probably just stick with a single bottle though. The flavor isn’t quite good enough to command multiple visits.

The East Kent Goldings variation of Latitude 48 is just okay. It’s not bad, but it really isn’t very good either. Frankly, it just comes across as a little too hop deficient. I don’t have a problem with the hops’ grassy, floral flavor. The problem is that they’re just too weak. Eh. It’s okay.

08-20-2011 02:45:54 | More by prototypic
adam42381

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium globe. Best before September 2011 notched on label.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with orange highlights and a 1-2 finger foamy light tan head. Nice head retention and solid lacing.

Smell: Grassy hops, sweet malt and a touch of apricot.

Taste: Grassy hops and apricot up front followed by sweet malt in the middle before ending with a combination of more grassy hop notes and lemon zest. Aftertaste is mild and fairly bitter. You can definitely taste the English.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back a few of these with no problem.

Overall: Good beer overall. It's amazing to me how a different hop variety can change a beer so much. Yesterday I had the Simcoe and this is nothing like it. This one is more of an English IPA to me. It's definitely worth a shot.

08-18-2011 21:28:17 | More by adam42381
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +28.8%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a nice foamy head with good retention. Aroma of dry ops with nice floral notes is quite amazing. Taste is a well balanced mix between some lightly sweet caramel malt with loads of floral notes with a dry but not astringent hoppy finish. East Kent Goldings are probably one of my favourite hops when they are by themselves. Body is about average with good carbonation. I really love this one and probably at par with the single hops Mikkeller version.

08-18-2011 19:46:17 | More by Phyl21ca
RonfromJersey

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Deep copper color, excellent clarity, topped by three fingers of light beige highly whipped foam. Good lacing.

Light fresh hay aroma, with a whiff of citrus. Pleasant, but I'd prefer a little more assertiveness.

Chewy caramel foundation, almost immediately engulfed by earthy British hoppiness. Slightly floral. Aspirin note in the finish.

Firm medium mouthfeel, a bit chewy.

A solid English IPA.

08-14-2011 06:03:10 | More by RonfromJersey
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

This one had exactly the same appearance and head as all the others I have had in the deconstructed series, and that is a good thing. I like it when the variables not mean to be changed have been standardized.

There is a brief burst of intensely strong floral hop aroma perfume which sadly fades out in less than five minutes to nothing, leaving me disappointed. All that is left for me to smeel is a bouquet of earthy tones and than I have nothing left but malt smell. Tastes is much the same as the nose, with a standard caramel malt. A little research later, and I realize that this is how this one is supposed to smell and taste according to EKG standards....so I'm not marking it off as harshly as I normally would. I just wish a large component of the nose wasn't so flimsy and transient.

08-11-2011 23:29:43 | More by WastingFreetime
tapman

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Moderately dark copper color and light brown head that almost made 1 finger. Filtered and with average carbonation.

Smell is sweet toast and slight metallic aromas. A sharp sunflower/sweet flower aroma as well.

Soft, bready hops with hints of mild licorice. Some dark caramel as well.

Crisp and a little dry in the front of the mouth in the finish.

While I don't think that East Kent makes a good American IPA, it is interesting to finally taste this hop alone. It is no wonder that this hop is essential for stouts and light ales, but with a malt profile meant for brighter hops, this one comes across as too earthy.

08-11-2011 02:42:11 | More by tapman
WoodBrew

The East Kent Golding Hops Deconstruct was very good. I had a wonderful time tasting each one at the same sitting. The EKG brought floral nose with bits of citrus, especially when the beer warmed a little. The appearance was a clear copper color with good carbonation and thin head. The taste was mostly floral/potporri, I didnt get much pine or citrus. The body was very light and the beer cam off the pallet nicely. Overall the beer was well balanced and made of an easy drinker.

08-07-2011 23:02:12 | More by WoodBrew
Rayek

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

This is my first of the "deconstructed" IPAs. It pours a brilliant amber with a dense, but small cream cap. The foam slowly falls to a thin blanked of foam, while leaving bits of lace.

I'm a big Goldings fan. It has an earthy, black tea bitterness and aroma that also has a hint of lemon. Malts have some caramel sweetness and a bit of toasted bread. The beer finishes with a lingering black tea bite. The medium body is somewhat slick.

One down, four to go in the "deconstructed" series for me. This one made me fairly happy.

08-07-2011 21:41:54 | More by Rayek
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)