Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent GoldingsSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011)

LucienDeRubempre, Nov 22, 2011

mschofield, Nov 18, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +33.3%

My first of the deconstructed series. I think its a great idea. Picked up the 12 pack for 13.98 at greens in mb.

Pours with a two finger head into my free imperial perfect pint glass I received with my purchase, however the head disapates to a thin ribbon quickly. Perfect Amber color.

Very piney earthy smooth flavor, almost like i am eating the hops. The malt really stands out in this brew. It finishes dry.

msnow34, Jun 24, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +31.9%

12oz bottle purchased as part of the Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed mix-pack at Hannaford in Derry. Pours a clear amber body with a good inch of off-white head that leaves some decent lacing as it dissipates. Smells awesome - spicy, floral with some malty notes in the background. Reminds me of homebrewing. Tastes spicy and floral with definite herb, grass, and citrus notes. Notes of caramel and chocolate malts peak through at times, but the hops rule this beer. Medium to light in body with full carbonation makes this very drinkable. Awesome. A great showcase for EKG hops.

MrHurmateeowish, Jul 29, 2011

coz, Nov 16, 2011

Lincolnman, Nov 11, 2012

Jmac597, Jul 18, 2014

dantezeull, Jul 07, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +29.6%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a nice foamy head with good retention. Aroma of dry ops with nice floral notes is quite amazing. Taste is a well balanced mix between some lightly sweet caramel malt with loads of floral notes with a dry but not astringent hoppy finish. East Kent Goldings are probably one of my favourite hops when they are by themselves. Body is about average with good carbonation. I really love this one and probably at par with the single hops Mikkeller version.

Phyl21ca, Aug 18, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +29%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: East Kent Goldings; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: East Kent, UK; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 East Kent Goldings IPA is brewed with only East Kent Goldings hops, a variety first used in brewing in the 1700s in East Kent, England. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. East Kent Goldings hops contribute a mellow bitterness to this brew, along with earthy, floral, and apricot notes, balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the five different malts."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the second of the six.

I had barely popped the cap when a modicum of head began to form and push its way up through the neck of the bottle. I began to scramble for a glass when it inexplicably stopped, leaving just a little bit of foam sticking out of the top of the bottle. I ran my tongue over it just for kicks and it tasted like earthy, woody hops. Now, I was ready! It was like a tease for me and I fell for it! The beer now flowed from the bottle like one of my old girlfriends running down the pier as my ship pulled in. We were equally anxious to meet one another. I was faced with a finger of dense, medium-tan head that was slowly sinking, a la the Titanic. I took comfort that only heavy, sticky lacing was left in its wake and not dead and dying passengers. Color was a deep-copper with NE-quality clarity and I have to hand it to the brewers - color is difficult to mirror in hops varietals. Nose was, well, EKG. It is a varietal that makes its way into a lot of beers, especially Samuel Smith's, and has an exquisite earthy aroma that its both unique and pleasant. It is like having Mother Earth for your girlfriend and if you have ever had a neo- (or original-) hippie chick for your girlfriend, you will dig what I am trying to impart. Terroir? This is terroir in beer, amigos mio, and it is like coming home to a familiar friend. Baby, I know you, I know your scent and none of it ever gets old. Mouthfeel was soft, caressing, with a flavor of grass, earth (think a freshly-mown or plowed field) and the apricots that I never thought of, but now noticed, especially on the finish. The finish was more mellow than Mellow Mushroom (a pizza chain in the southeast that I really miss) and I found myself falling into the arms of Morpheus. For the unaware/uninitiated, hops are in the same family as marijuana (gasp!) and if you ever needed proof, EKG will give it to you. This is mellow on a grand scale. This is spooning after exquisite lovemaking mellow. This is easy (and mellow) like Sunday morning. Catch my drift? I think I am going to lay down for a moment at this point. Man, I am so mellow ... Dig?

woodychandler, Aug 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a great copper color with great head and very nice lacing. Excellent deep sweet malty aroma with a great hop hit at the end. Interesting taste, with great malt sweetness, slight caramel flavors, and a wonderful slightly earthy and slightly floral hoppiness. Went down quite well indeed!

JamesS, Sep 16, 2011

Std73, May 28, 2014

nmann08, Nov 15, 2011

j0hnc2468, Jun 18, 2014

GaryMarkle84, Aug 19, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +19.7%

A- clear copper amber colored with a huge cap of ecru foam. there's tons of lace and the head forms big dents as it settles. topping off my glass, the extremely stable foam rises up above the lip all rocky and beautiful.

S- earthy, spicy, floral, a nice citrus kick, and caramel and toffee, cookie, brown sugar, and brown bread. a real 'english' smelling beer and it conjures up images of fuller's esb and sam smith's ipa. exclusive use of the goldings has so far transformed this american ipa into an english one.

T- bright hoppy flavor with a full measure of zesty bitterness. hop flavor lasts from start to finish with an earthy, herbal, dried grapefruit peel flavor and some lime pith. some toffee-ish malt sweetness levels the scales a bit. clean water flavor comes through also which is nice. finishes with an equal balance of malt and hops.

MF- juicy then becoming dry and leaving a minor sticky resinous feeling. nice mid level carbonation.

D- another good one for the deconstruction. not a hop bomb but entirely drinkable. like a hopped up english ipa.

hustlesworth, Aug 30, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours dark amber like the others in the deconstructed series. Nice clingy diminishing head. The smell is equal parts malt and floral hop. Wow taste is fantastic. I'm glad I now have a name for this hop profile. I've had and enjoyed this flavor before but couldn't name it until just now. The hops perfectly bitter the malt and leave the perfect linger (just long enough to know you are getting something good and at the same time short enough to make you want another sip soon). Hop heads may scream too much malt taste, but I am finding it a great departure from the over the top IPA's out there. This is #4 out of the 5 single hopped offerings of the pack and is my favorite so far. I could see myself getting this as a 6er if it was offered that way. Cheers S.A. ...

Justin23060, Aug 07, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Wow they used 5 malts in this? impressive

A - Pours like every beer in this set a solid dark amber with tons of carbonation resulting in two inches of sticky white foam.

S - This one smells more sweet with touches of grapefruit and apricots. Bready good malt as well.

T - Starts and finishes very sweet and clean with only a mild twang of the hops in the center. Very good.

M - Light to medium. A great beer.

Overall it was definitely better than the "Hallertau Mittelfrueh" could have maybe used a touch more bitterness but drinkable overall.

DrDemento456, Jun 03, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Let's pull up the initial Latitude 48 review:

"Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark amber body with an initially fluffy, though ultimately short-lived, whitish head.

Smell: Sweetish light-colored caramel sauce paired with oven toaster-toasted biscuit tops. Aromatic pops of hoppy spices, lemon juice, and dried, tea-like herbs fill the nose.

Taste: A maltiness tasting of toasted biscuits hit with a small-sized spoonful of caramel and toffee. There’s a short-lived sweetness that drops out in anticipation of the incoming hops, which bring about a mixture of grassy herbs, lightly earthy spice, and lemon peel (a bit of pith included). Well-integrated bitterness. A last hint of dry caramel and spiced tea on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lat-48 comes up just shy of the medium body mark. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A tasty, nicely hoppy brew without hitting you over the head with scorching bitterness. "It’s an ale." --Matt Simpson. Too right, Matt, too right."

OK. Well, appearance and mouthfeel are the similar all across the board and in step with the original, as is the underlying malt character. Last but not least, the EKG's! Leafy, soundly earthy aroma with subdued floral, peeled lemon hints. It was enjoyed, and, as it is the final Deconstructed brew (I donated their duplicates to KP), let's put'm in order from top to bottom:

Hallertau, EKG tying with the Simcoe, followed by Ahtanum and, lastly, the Zeus (is loose).

ChainGangGuy, Jan 26, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

S: Slight floral notes, lemon blossoms, some tea notes, some earthy cinnamon, just a touch of light bready notes.

L: Clear amber orange, off white creamy head with 1/4 inch retention and great lacing.

T: Slight apricot fruit with some earthiness. Medium bitterness, earthy with some apricot peel. Finishes with some more subtle apricot bready malt. Dry finish with subtle earthiness.

M: Medium creamy bodied, medium low carbonation.

Nice and pleasant English IPA, apricot centered, hops definitely pulled back here.

bum732, May 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a perfectly transparent orangeish amber with a one finger offwhite head. The lacing doesn't go high, but it's solid all the way across

S- very grassy hops. Getting some sweetness in the nose as well, but the aroma isn't very strong. Smells good, though

T- starts off grassy. The finish is very sweet. The aftertaste is a little bitter. The taste lingers for awhile. It's actually pretty good

M- the body is just kind of there. Not too thick, not too thin...just right

O- real solid beer. Not sure why it has such low ratings...the hops are more mellow than in your face, but I really like it

bigfnjoe, Jun 24, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

A- Clear amber topped with a medium off white head. Head falls quickly to a cap and leaves spotty lace on the glass.

S- Low key citrus notes, aroma is almost non existent.

T- Doesn't follow the nose, thankfully. Very little taste at first then it builds to a nice note of citrus and a hint of floral right before the finish. Different notes in this hop than what I am used to, nice slight bitter effect right before the finish. Finish is dry and very clean with a slight bitter note that lasts.

M- Medium in body and in carbonation. Very clean in the mouth, this hop could work in a lot of different styles.

O- Interesting just for the hop variety alone. If I was a home brewer I could think of all kinds of things to put this in. The 6% ABV is hidden and not over the top for the style. Interesting experiment from Boston Beer to deconstruct an IPA into it's hop components and let us taste them separately and then together over these six beers. Mikkeller does something similar with their single hop series and I applaud the fact that Boston Beer has taken it a step further.

ToddT, Mar 16, 2012

40451, May 19, 2012

mjtiernan, Nov 15, 2011

briandaube, Jun 02, 2012
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)