Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent GoldingsSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

4.56/5  rDev +31%

My first of the deconstructed series. I think its a great idea. Picked up the 12 pack for 13.98 at greens in mb.

Pours with a two finger head into my free imperial perfect pint glass I received with my purchase, however the head disapates to a thin ribbon quickly. Perfect Amber color.

Very piney earthy smooth flavor, almost like i am eating the hops. The malt really stands out in this brew. It finishes dry. (412 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +30.7%

12oz bottle purchased as part of the Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed mix-pack at Hannaford in Derry. Pours a clear amber body with a good inch of off-white head that leaves some decent lacing as it dissipates. Smells awesome - spicy, floral with some malty notes in the background. Reminds me of homebrewing. Tastes spicy and floral with definite herb, grass, and citrus notes. Notes of caramel and chocolate malts peak through at times, but the hops rule this beer. Medium to light in body with full carbonation makes this very drinkable. Awesome. A great showcase for EKG hops. (586 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a nice foamy head with good retention. Aroma of dry ops with nice floral notes is quite amazing. Taste is a well balanced mix between some lightly sweet caramel malt with loads of floral notes with a dry but not astringent hoppy finish. East Kent Goldings are probably one of my favourite hops when they are by themselves. Body is about average with good carbonation. I really love this one and probably at par with the single hops Mikkeller version. (495 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: East Kent Goldings; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: East Kent, UK; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 East Kent Goldings IPA is brewed with only East Kent Goldings hops, a variety first used in brewing in the 1700s in East Kent, England. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. East Kent Goldings hops contribute a mellow bitterness to this brew, along with earthy, floral, and apricot notes, balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the five different malts."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the second of the six.

I had barely popped the cap when a modicum of head began to form and push its way up through the neck of the bottle. I began to scramble for a glass when it inexplicably stopped, leaving just a little bit of foam sticking out of the top of the bottle. I ran my tongue over it just for kicks and it tasted like earthy, woody hops. Now, I was ready! It was like a tease for me and I fell for it! The beer now flowed from the bottle like one of my old girlfriends running down the pier as my ship pulled in. We were equally anxious to meet one another. I was faced with a finger of dense, medium-tan head that was slowly sinking, a la the Titanic. I took comfort that only heavy, sticky lacing was left in its wake and not dead and dying passengers. Color was a deep-copper with NE-quality clarity and I have to hand it to the brewers - color is difficult to mirror in hops varietals. Nose was, well, EKG. It is a varietal that makes its way into a lot of beers, especially Samuel Smith's, and has an exquisite earthy aroma that its both unique and pleasant. It is like having Mother Earth for your girlfriend and if you have ever had a neo- (or original-) hippie chick for your girlfriend, you will dig what I am trying to impart. Terroir? This is terroir in beer, amigos mio, and it is like coming home to a familiar friend. Baby, I know you, I know your scent and none of it ever gets old. Mouthfeel was soft, caressing, with a flavor of grass, earth (think a freshly-mown or plowed field) and the apricots that I never thought of, but now noticed, especially on the finish. The finish was more mellow than Mellow Mushroom (a pizza chain in the southeast that I really miss) and I found myself falling into the arms of Morpheus. For the unaware/uninitiated, hops are in the same family as marijuana (gasp!) and if you ever needed proof, EKG will give it to you. This is mellow on a grand scale. This is spooning after exquisite lovemaking mellow. This is easy (and mellow) like Sunday morning. Catch my drift? I think I am going to lay down for a moment at this point. Man, I am so mellow ... Dig? (3,492 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a great copper color with great head and very nice lacing. Excellent deep sweet malty aroma with a great hop hit at the end. Interesting taste, with great malt sweetness, slight caramel flavors, and a wonderful slightly earthy and slightly floral hoppiness. Went down quite well indeed! (293 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

A- clear copper amber colored with a huge cap of ecru foam. there's tons of lace and the head forms big dents as it settles. topping off my glass, the extremely stable foam rises up above the lip all rocky and beautiful.

S- earthy, spicy, floral, a nice citrus kick, and caramel and toffee, cookie, brown sugar, and brown bread. a real 'english' smelling beer and it conjures up images of fuller's esb and sam smith's ipa. exclusive use of the goldings has so far transformed this american ipa into an english one.

T- bright hoppy flavor with a full measure of zesty bitterness. hop flavor lasts from start to finish with an earthy, herbal, dried grapefruit peel flavor and some lime pith. some toffee-ish malt sweetness levels the scales a bit. clean water flavor comes through also which is nice. finishes with an equal balance of malt and hops.

MF- juicy then becoming dry and leaving a minor sticky resinous feeling. nice mid level carbonation.

D- another good one for the deconstruction. not a hop bomb but entirely drinkable. like a hopped up english ipa. (1,066 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Wow they used 5 malts in this? impressive

A - Pours like every beer in this set a solid dark amber with tons of carbonation resulting in two inches of sticky white foam.

S - This one smells more sweet with touches of grapefruit and apricots. Bready good malt as well.

T - Starts and finishes very sweet and clean with only a mild twang of the hops in the center. Very good.

M - Light to medium. A great beer.

Overall it was definitely better than the "Hallertau Mittelfrueh" could have maybe used a touch more bitterness but drinkable overall. (548 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%

Let's pull up the initial Latitude 48 review:

"Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark amber body with an initially fluffy, though ultimately short-lived, whitish head.

Smell: Sweetish light-colored caramel sauce paired with oven toaster-toasted biscuit tops. Aromatic pops of hoppy spices, lemon juice, and dried, tea-like herbs fill the nose.

Taste: A maltiness tasting of toasted biscuits hit with a small-sized spoonful of caramel and toffee. There’s a short-lived sweetness that drops out in anticipation of the incoming hops, which bring about a mixture of grassy herbs, lightly earthy spice, and lemon peel (a bit of pith included). Well-integrated bitterness. A last hint of dry caramel and spiced tea on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lat-48 comes up just shy of the medium body mark. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A tasty, nicely hoppy brew without hitting you over the head with scorching bitterness. "It’s an ale." --Matt Simpson. Too right, Matt, too right."

OK. Well, appearance and mouthfeel are the similar all across the board and in step with the original, as is the underlying malt character. Last but not least, the EKG's! Leafy, soundly earthy aroma with subdued floral, peeled lemon hints. It was enjoyed, and, as it is the final Deconstructed brew (I donated their duplicates to KP), let's put'm in order from top to bottom:

Hallertau, EKG tying with the Simcoe, followed by Ahtanum and, lastly, the Zeus (is loose). (1,442 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

S: Slight floral notes, lemon blossoms, some tea notes, some earthy cinnamon, just a touch of light bready notes.

L: Clear amber orange, off white creamy head with 1/4 inch retention and great lacing.

T: Slight apricot fruit with some earthiness. Medium bitterness, earthy with some apricot peel. Finishes with some more subtle apricot bready malt. Dry finish with subtle earthiness.

M: Medium creamy bodied, medium low carbonation.

Nice and pleasant English IPA, apricot centered, hops definitely pulled back here. (519 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a perfectly transparent orangeish amber with a one finger offwhite head. The lacing doesn't go high, but it's solid all the way across

S- very grassy hops. Getting some sweetness in the nose as well, but the aroma isn't very strong. Smells good, though

T- starts off grassy. The finish is very sweet. The aftertaste is a little bitter. The taste lingers for awhile. It's actually pretty good

M- the body is just kind of there. Not too thick, not too thin...just right

O- real solid beer. Not sure why it has such low ratings...the hops are more mellow than in your face, but I really like it (644 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours dark amber like the others in the deconstructed series. Nice clingy diminishing head. The smell is equal parts malt and floral hop. Wow taste is fantastic. I'm glad I now have a name for this hop profile. I've had and enjoyed this flavor before but couldn't name it until just now. The hops perfectly bitter the malt and leave the perfect linger (just long enough to know you are getting something good and at the same time short enough to make you want another sip soon). Hop heads may scream too much malt taste, but I am finding it a great departure from the over the top IPA's out there. This is #4 out of the 5 single hopped offerings of the pack and is my favorite so far. I could see myself getting this as a 6er if it was offered that way. Cheers S.A. ... (769 characters)

The East Kent Golding Hops Deconstruct was very good. I had a wonderful time tasting each one at the same sitting. The EKG brought floral nose with bits of citrus, especially when the beer warmed a little. The appearance was a clear copper color with good carbonation and thin head. The taste was mostly floral/potporri, I didnt get much pine or citrus. The body was very light and the beer cam off the pallet nicely. Overall the beer was well balanced and made of an easy drinker. (481 characters)

12oz bottle (best by Sept. 2011) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear coppery orange with a light tan head. Foam initially was 1/2" thick upon pouring, but died down to 1/16" across the top. Plenty of lacing (strands, sheets) noted. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Well this is an interesting one. Sweetness of the malts combined with the hops make me think of an apricot danish. It's very desserty in a way. With a swirl the sweetness goes away and the smells are more herbal, piney, and floral all at the same time. The fruit smell only shows up once the foam has died down a bit. Very appealing smell.

Taste: Caramel and toasted malt flavors quickly moving into a piney + English bitter finish. More bitter than anything else, but that is kind of the point with this beer, isn't it? Simple, but tasty.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation on the tongue, but that's okay - it does not take away from the beer. It's not flat, but the carbonation is just barely there, so it allows the thickness of the beer to show through. Slick and just a bit chewy. A little bit of the hop oils still stick to the teeth though.

Overall / Drinkability: Normally I enjoy an AIPA but need to stop at one as the bitterness I can only take so much of. I like those bitter flavors, but after awhile I need a break. This one is different - I could easily have another. The smells plus flavor make this one nicely enjoyable. Apparently I really like East Kent Goldings. Kudos to Boston Beer to accentuate a single hop like this - a good beer all the way around. (1,555 characters)

A: A clear, amber-orange color with a moderately dense, amber-tinted frothy head. Retention is sturdy, and the head deposits some scattered lace on the glass as it fades.

S: Moderate caramel malt notes in the nose, with light breadiness. Some mild mineral and tealike aromas are also present. Hop notes are earthy, softly fruity, and somewhat spicy. This hop definitely puts a more English spin on this version of Latitude 48.

T: Some crusty, breadlike flavors are complemented by an even dose of caramel malt. Mineral notes are complemented nicely by the hop profile. I believe all these deconstructed beers are hopped to the same IBU levels, but perceived bitterness is lower in this version to me. That said, there's a very nice fruity (pear & apricot), earthy, and spicy flavor to this beer.

M: Somewhat fuller than medium-bodied. Carbonated at an average level, but it smoothly fades into a pleasantly restrained dry finish.

D: East Kent Goldings may not be a new, exciting, high-alpha American hop, but it works just fine in this version of Samuel Adams's IPA. Definitely shows off some English character without becoming too sweet or lacking hop personality. (1,172 characters)

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium globe. Best before September 2011 notched on label.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with orange highlights and a 1-2 finger foamy light tan head. Nice head retention and solid lacing.

Smell: Grassy hops, sweet malt and a touch of apricot.

Taste: Grassy hops and apricot up front followed by sweet malt in the middle before ending with a combination of more grassy hop notes and lemon zest. Aftertaste is mild and fairly bitter. You can definitely taste the English.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back a few of these with no problem.

Overall: Good beer overall. It's amazing to me how a different hop variety can change a beer so much. Yesterday I had the Simcoe and this is nothing like it. This one is more of an English IPA to me. It's definitely worth a shot. (917 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Another of the deconstructed series. I'm having a lot of fun with these.
In a SA pint lass the beer was an amber color with a thick white head and a lot of lace.
It had an earthy, herbal aroma. Peppery enough to tickle my nose.
Earthy, piney hops. A little malt. Surprisingly (to me) pretty spicy.
Medium-bodied. A little more spicy than I would have anticipated. (363 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%

A- Clear amber topped with a medium off white head. Head falls quickly to a cap and leaves spotty lace on the glass.

S- Low key citrus notes, aroma is almost non existent.

T- Doesn't follow the nose, thankfully. Very little taste at first then it builds to a nice note of citrus and a hint of floral right before the finish. Different notes in this hop than what I am used to, nice slight bitter effect right before the finish. Finish is dry and very clean with a slight bitter note that lasts.

M- Medium in body and in carbonation. Very clean in the mouth, this hop could work in a lot of different styles.

O- Interesting just for the hop variety alone. If I was a home brewer I could think of all kinds of things to put this in. The 6% ABV is hidden and not over the top for the style. Interesting experiment from Boston Beer to deconstruct an IPA into it's hop components and let us taste them separately and then together over these six beers. Mikkeller does something similar with their single hop series and I applaud the fact that Boston Beer has taken it a step further. (1,082 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA - East Kent Goldings - This is a very clear, sparkling amber ale with a thin, dense, off white head that leaves very nice lacing on the glass. It has an aroma of slightly sweet caramel malt and herbal, leafy hops. It's medium bodied, very smooth and foamy with a dry, crisp finish. It's well balanced with herbal, medicinal hop flavors and sturdy caramel malt. For some reason, I kind of taste pilsner malt. The flavor gets more bitter and resiny at the finish. This is the oddest of this series of beers. It seems a bit like an ESB. I would gladly drink any of the Latitude 48 IPAs and this one is no exception. Well done. (652 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My favorite out of the single hop offerings in this Deconstructed series. Very floral aroma sets up what could classify as a tasty english style esb or pale ale.

Nice hop oils on the taste with an earthy impression....also get hints of mint, and lemon zest...combined with the malt it comes off more buttery and minerally than the others.

Enjoyable beer to drink but not a west coast IPA if that is what you want. (417 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz bottle poured into a SA Sensory Glass.

A - Poured a dark amber with a creamy, 2-inch khaki-colored head that fades to a thin haze, leaving a bit of soapy lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Gentle hop aromas of spice, pine resin, and grass with the typical Latitude 48 amber malt backbone. No the most impressive of the hop aromas, but this is obviously a more subdued hop strain.
T - Quite similar to the nose, a very English-type IPA, the hop flavor is moderate, with spicy notes of pine resin and fresh-cut grass. Leans a bit to the malty side when compared to the other beers in the Deconstructed pack.
M - Smooth and crisp, with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Very drinkable, particularly this version, the mild hops mean a more sessionable brew.
O - Not my favorite of the Deconstructed pack, but a very fine single-hop IPA nonetheless. (855 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Since I have already rated and reviewed Latitude 48, I am going to keep my review on this “deconstructed” version focused upon the hop character.

The brewer describes East Kent Goldings hops as having a "mellow bitterness with earthy, floral and apricot notes."

I’m getting the earthiness in both nose and flavor profile; not so much with the apricot and floral notes. This version is malt forward and very much in the tradition of a true English IPA. The bitterness grows as one drinks it. (498 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +12.6%

This is my first of the "deconstructed" IPAs. It pours a brilliant amber with a dense, but small cream cap. The foam slowly falls to a thin blanked of foam, while leaving bits of lace.

I'm a big Goldings fan. It has an earthy, black tea bitterness and aroma that also has a hint of lemon. Malts have some caramel sweetness and a bit of toasted bread. The beer finishes with a lingering black tea bite. The medium body is somewhat slick.

One down, four to go in the "deconstructed" series for me. This one made me fairly happy. (528 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

I picked up a Latitude 48 Deconstructed 12-pack today (30APR11) at Ayottes, and opted to dive into the EKG offerings first.

Sitting out in the 'Zebo on a cool, sunny April Saturday... This one poured a clear, medium copper color, with sparse carbo meandering topside. The head was frothy and light-tan to off-white, rather mousse-like and lasting well at 1/4". Lacing was very nice, as well. The nose was semi-sweet, good malts leading the way with some mild hops in the background. The feel was medium-smooth on the tongue with minimal effervescence, and the body was a decent medium.

Solid semi-sweetness hits the palate, with some tasty caramel malts present, making for a rather pleasant start. Hops move into the neighborhood next, with lots of floral action lingering long and hard. Mildly bitter, the hopping has some earthiness in the lasting finish. Quite solid, all around! Cheers!!

1328 (964 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a glowing amber in color with a big off-white head that's sticky like sea foam and doesn't vanish.

Light fruity hop aroma with notes of biscuit.

I agree with Samuel Adams that this hop gives an apricot flavor. This Lat 48 version is one of the less harshly bitter ones, but that doesn't mean it isn't very good. The biscuit aroma carries over to a good biscuit flavor.

Nice body with plenty of substance.

Overall another winner from the excellent Latitude 48 Deconstructed variety pack. Seek it out. (509 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

Deep copper color, excellent clarity, topped by three fingers of light beige highly whipped foam. Good lacing.

Light fresh hay aroma, with a whiff of citrus. Pleasant, but I'd prefer a little more assertiveness.

Chewy caramel foundation, almost immediately engulfed by earthy British hoppiness. Slightly floral. Aspirin note in the finish.

Firm medium mouthfeel, a bit chewy.

A solid English IPA. (401 characters)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)