Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent GoldingsSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is orange and appears mostly clear. The off white head begins about an inch thick, settling at a quarter inch, leaving plenty of lacing on the pint glass. The aroma offers toasted bread, floral notes, subtle tea scents, as well as some earthy hops. The flavor is a balance of hops and malt, as is consistent with the other beers in this series. Earthy pine and resin. Decent. The finish offers some lingering hop notes. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation level. Another mediocre IPA from Sam Adams. (515 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -0.6%

Thanks to MrTopher for this collection--poured from bottle to snifter on 7/30/11.

A: Bright copper with a head that fades to nice lace.

N: Caramel & black pepper.

T/M: Caramel malt up front with a spicy, (almost nondescript) bitterness; not overly complex but interesting and well constructed.

Definitely comes off as an English-style IPA, as the malt plays a larger role in the flavor profile. Good clean finish with a medium/light mouthfeel. (448 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Up next with Samuel Adam's Latitude 48 IPA is their version using hops from Southern England, in East Kent. Hence the East Kent Golding version of this Deconstructed IPA. After drinking four of these I have to say none of them are that great, probably because only one type of hops is used in each, but I do find it interesting and educational in tasting each different hop type.

Like all of the Latitude 48s I've poured out this one looks good. Nice two finger, creamy-frothy and off-white head with good retention. I'm getting some damn good lacing on this one. Orange-copper color the beer is, as Yoda would say. There's some sediment swirling around in there too much not much.

It's hard smelling this knowing it's using English hops and not think it smells like that. Earthy hops bring out some orange-lemon citrus and bit of spice. It's very biscuity and a tad piney. Fruitiness is of peach and apricot. It's weird how I don't really like most fruits but I know what their smell is.

Nothing really to complain about here. Peppery, acidic, earthy, and citrusy hops balance out well with biscuity malt and fruit sweetness. A tad phenoly but not a put off.

I'd say the mouthfeel is a bit light for my taste but it's syrupy and more dry than the others that I remember. Medium carbonation. (1,295 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours amber in color with nice off-white, sticky head. Aroma is sweet. I feel there is biscuity sweetness from malts and fruity sweetness from the East Kent Goldings hops. Definitely some apricot notes. I like how the hops provide a nice floral and fruity aroma without being in your face. Taste is similar. Biscuity malty base provides support for hoppy bitterness. Hops are not overpowering. In fact bitterness only comes across fully in the aftertaste. Very drinkable (again especially if you like bitterness to linger). Medium-light body. I find that these hops by themselves are not enough for a balanced IPA.

This is my first beer of the Boston Beer's Latitude 48 IPA set. At first I wanted to taste and compare all in one session, but six IPAs in a row is beyond my abilities. So I think I'll settle on three days of two beers each. I look at it as an experiment, so my grade reflects general opinion of a version (as opposed to grading to style). I am enjoying being able to try the same base beer with different hops. (1,028 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle dated best by Sept. 2011.

Appearance: a beautiful clear orange-amber in color with a good head that lasted a long time. Light carbonation visible. Good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: More earthy than the standard Latitude IPA as well as at least some of the other deconstructed versions. Some floral and fruit notes and ample malt aromas.

Taste: good flavor without flaws excepting the light hop/heavy malt balance and the less appealing (but still definitely appealing) hop flavor component (earthy and herbal).

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and smooth; soft for style yet with some crispness; slightly dry finish.

Overall: As a fan of standard Latitude 48 (my BA rating is an A), I was surprised to like most of the single-hop versions nearly as much. That said, this is not my favorite of these. Like the others, it lacks some of the complexity of the 'regular' version, but this one also lacks the hop-forward character and aroma. Hop-wise, it is more of an APA than IPA.
But getting past comparison to standard Latitude 48 and expectations for an IPA, this is a very enjoyable brew that grew better with repeated tasting. (1,150 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a great copper color with great head and very nice lacing. Excellent deep sweet malty aroma with a great hop hit at the end. Interesting taste, with great malt sweetness, slight caramel flavors, and a wonderful slightly earthy and slightly floral hoppiness. Went down quite well indeed! (293 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

A- clear copper amber colored with a huge cap of ecru foam. there's tons of lace and the head forms big dents as it settles. topping off my glass, the extremely stable foam rises up above the lip all rocky and beautiful.

S- earthy, spicy, floral, a nice citrus kick, and caramel and toffee, cookie, brown sugar, and brown bread. a real 'english' smelling beer and it conjures up images of fuller's esb and sam smith's ipa. exclusive use of the goldings has so far transformed this american ipa into an english one.

T- bright hoppy flavor with a full measure of zesty bitterness. hop flavor lasts from start to finish with an earthy, herbal, dried grapefruit peel flavor and some lime pith. some toffee-ish malt sweetness levels the scales a bit. clean water flavor comes through also which is nice. finishes with an equal balance of malt and hops.

MF- juicy then becoming dry and leaving a minor sticky resinous feeling. nice mid level carbonation.

D- another good one for the deconstruction. not a hop bomb but entirely drinkable. like a hopped up english ipa. (1,066 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

# 5 of 6 Reviews in the Deconstructed Series. Enjoyed in a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint on 8-28-11.

A: A clear and bright rusty orange with a well sustained off white on top.

S: A moderate but fragrant nose of earthy flowery hops and sweet refreshing tropical fruit.

M: A very herbal and earthy citrus hop wash really displays itself at the opening for me and quickly washes over the palate to a refined bitter resonance in the finish. That's a mild IPA, but crisp and refreshing nonetheless with a solid malt body to complement.

T: There's a good amount of simple yet much appreciated flavor to the chosen hop with notes of blended pungent citrus rind and toasted malt goodness. (681 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +6.9%

I was of two minds on this beer, so to see such a variance of opinions just confirms my own feelings. This was a very drinkable beer, once. Bold orange citrus flavour above all else,hoppy though not a palate flattener. as good as it is for what it is, I think I prefer a melange of hops and something more balanced. (315 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a clear amber with a big creamy light tan head. Smells slightly of earthy hops. Taste is Caramel sweetness up front, followed by some raw piney bitterness. A bit of dried fruit in the finish. Mouthfeel is good, low carbonation. Overall a pretty good beer, not my favorite Latitude 48 though. (297 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: East Kent Goldings; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: East Kent, UK; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 East Kent Goldings IPA is brewed with only East Kent Goldings hops, a variety first used in brewing in the 1700s in East Kent, England. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. East Kent Goldings hops contribute a mellow bitterness to this brew, along with earthy, floral, and apricot notes, balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the five different malts."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the second of the six.

I had barely popped the cap when a modicum of head began to form and push its way up through the neck of the bottle. I began to scramble for a glass when it inexplicably stopped, leaving just a little bit of foam sticking out of the top of the bottle. I ran my tongue over it just for kicks and it tasted like earthy, woody hops. Now, I was ready! It was like a tease for me and I fell for it! The beer now flowed from the bottle like one of my old girlfriends running down the pier as my ship pulled in. We were equally anxious to meet one another. I was faced with a finger of dense, medium-tan head that was slowly sinking, a la the Titanic. I took comfort that only heavy, sticky lacing was left in its wake and not dead and dying passengers. Color was a deep-copper with NE-quality clarity and I have to hand it to the brewers - color is difficult to mirror in hops varietals. Nose was, well, EKG. It is a varietal that makes its way into a lot of beers, especially Samuel Smith's, and has an exquisite earthy aroma that its both unique and pleasant. It is like having Mother Earth for your girlfriend and if you have ever had a neo- (or original-) hippie chick for your girlfriend, you will dig what I am trying to impart. Terroir? This is terroir in beer, amigos mio, and it is like coming home to a familiar friend. Baby, I know you, I know your scent and none of it ever gets old. Mouthfeel was soft, caressing, with a flavor of grass, earth (think a freshly-mown or plowed field) and the apricots that I never thought of, but now noticed, especially on the finish. The finish was more mellow than Mellow Mushroom (a pizza chain in the southeast that I really miss) and I found myself falling into the arms of Morpheus. For the unaware/uninitiated, hops are in the same family as marijuana (gasp!) and if you ever needed proof, EKG will give it to you. This is mellow on a grand scale. This is spooning after exquisite lovemaking mellow. This is easy (and mellow) like Sunday morning. Catch my drift? I think I am going to lay down for a moment at this point. Man, I am so mellow ... Dig? (3,492 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -10.6%

I believe this is my fourth of the Deconstructed Latitude 48 series – East Kent Goldings.

This one pours a deep copper color. It’s clear, and has nice orange highlights with backlighting. Not bad. A cream colored head sits on top. It rises to about a finger and a half in height, and takes its time receding. A really nice coat of sticky lace trails down the glass.

The nose is pretty average. Definitely on the weak side. It does feature the typical toasted and caramel scents up front. The East Kent Golding hops add a grassy, floral scent to the mix. It works pretty well with the malt base. More strength all-around would help though. Alcohol is masked well and isn’t noticeable at all. Average at best. More muscle would really help.

The flavor is also rather average. The malt base consists of toasted and caramel varieties. No surprise there. It’s alright. Not bad. The hops do add a very grassy, floral flavor. It complements the malt flavors pretty well, but isn’t all that strong. Not very bitter either. Very balanced. An American IPA definitely needs a stronger hop presence than this. It’s not overtly bad, but it’s not very good either. Alcohol isn’t noticeable. Finishes sweet and malty with just a touch of grass.

The body is light-medium. Carbonation is mid-range, but doesn’t seem buzzy. It’s not exactly smooth, but it’s pretty good. Goes down easy enough. I’d probably just stick with a single bottle though. The flavor isn’t quite good enough to command multiple visits.

The East Kent Goldings variation of Latitude 48 is just okay. It’s not bad, but it really isn’t very good either. Frankly, it just comes across as a little too hop deficient. I don’t have a problem with the hops’ grassy, floral flavor. The problem is that they’re just too weak. Eh. It’s okay. (1,831 characters)

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium globe. Best before September 2011 notched on label.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with orange highlights and a 1-2 finger foamy light tan head. Nice head retention and solid lacing.

Smell: Grassy hops, sweet malt and a touch of apricot.

Taste: Grassy hops and apricot up front followed by sweet malt in the middle before ending with a combination of more grassy hop notes and lemon zest. Aftertaste is mild and fairly bitter. You can definitely taste the English.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back a few of these with no problem.

Overall: Good beer overall. It's amazing to me how a different hop variety can change a beer so much. Yesterday I had the Simcoe and this is nothing like it. This one is more of an English IPA to me. It's definitely worth a shot. (917 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

Bottle: Poured a light copper color ale with a nice foamy head with good retention. Aroma of dry ops with nice floral notes is quite amazing. Taste is a well balanced mix between some lightly sweet caramel malt with loads of floral notes with a dry but not astringent hoppy finish. East Kent Goldings are probably one of my favourite hops when they are by themselves. Body is about average with good carbonation. I really love this one and probably at par with the single hops Mikkeller version. (495 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

Deep copper color, excellent clarity, topped by three fingers of light beige highly whipped foam. Good lacing.

Light fresh hay aroma, with a whiff of citrus. Pleasant, but I'd prefer a little more assertiveness.

Chewy caramel foundation, almost immediately engulfed by earthy British hoppiness. Slightly floral. Aspirin note in the finish.

Firm medium mouthfeel, a bit chewy.

A solid English IPA. (401 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

This one had exactly the same appearance and head as all the others I have had in the deconstructed series, and that is a good thing. I like it when the variables not mean to be changed have been standardized.

There is a brief burst of intensely strong floral hop aroma perfume which sadly fades out in less than five minutes to nothing, leaving me disappointed. All that is left for me to smeel is a bouquet of earthy tones and than I have nothing left but malt smell. Tastes is much the same as the nose, with a standard caramel malt. A little research later, and I realize that this is how this one is supposed to smell and taste according to EKG standards....so I'm not marking it off as harshly as I normally would. I just wish a large component of the nose wasn't so flimsy and transient. (795 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -9.2%

Moderately dark copper color and light brown head that almost made 1 finger. Filtered and with average carbonation.

Smell is sweet toast and slight metallic aromas. A sharp sunflower/sweet flower aroma as well.

Soft, bready hops with hints of mild licorice. Some dark caramel as well.

Crisp and a little dry in the front of the mouth in the finish.

While I don't think that East Kent makes a good American IPA, it is interesting to finally taste this hop alone. It is no wonder that this hop is essential for stouts and light ales, but with a malt profile meant for brighter hops, this one comes across as too earthy. (621 characters)

The East Kent Golding Hops Deconstruct was very good. I had a wonderful time tasting each one at the same sitting. The EKG brought floral nose with bits of citrus, especially when the beer warmed a little. The appearance was a clear copper color with good carbonation and thin head. The taste was mostly floral/potporri, I didnt get much pine or citrus. The body was very light and the beer cam off the pallet nicely. Overall the beer was well balanced and made of an easy drinker. (481 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +12.6%

This is my first of the "deconstructed" IPAs. It pours a brilliant amber with a dense, but small cream cap. The foam slowly falls to a thin blanked of foam, while leaving bits of lace.

I'm a big Goldings fan. It has an earthy, black tea bitterness and aroma that also has a hint of lemon. Malts have some caramel sweetness and a bit of toasted bread. The beer finishes with a lingering black tea bite. The medium body is somewhat slick.

One down, four to go in the "deconstructed" series for me. This one made me fairly happy. (528 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours dark amber like the others in the deconstructed series. Nice clingy diminishing head. The smell is equal parts malt and floral hop. Wow taste is fantastic. I'm glad I now have a name for this hop profile. I've had and enjoyed this flavor before but couldn't name it until just now. The hops perfectly bitter the malt and leave the perfect linger (just long enough to know you are getting something good and at the same time short enough to make you want another sip soon). Hop heads may scream too much malt taste, but I am finding it a great departure from the over the top IPA's out there. This is #4 out of the 5 single hopped offerings of the pack and is my favorite so far. I could see myself getting this as a 6er if it was offered that way. Cheers S.A. ... (769 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a Le Cheval Blanc pint glass. Pours a clear, deep copper, with a light tan head of about two fingers. Head drops slowly leaving a good cap of foam.

Aromas of spicy earthy hops, a touch floral, with a nice caramel malt backbone.

Flavors of caramel malt, floral, spicy, earthy hop bitterness. Lightly bittered, for an American IPA. Although a light touch, the bitterness hangs through the medium finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, good mouthcoating bitterness. Good level of carbonation.

Overall a good effort. I like it more the gimmick factor - the deconstructed IPA. This is my first of the batch. Looking forward to the other four before I get to the final "constructed" IPA. (687 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -4.6%

These single hop-beers are difficult to review. I LOVE the idea of single hops if for only the effort to educate about hop flavors. Yet, some hops I just don't like all that well, and for an IPA some of these miss the mark. Conundrum....(and not the Caymus wine)

Pours a glowing copper color. Small off white head, no lacing...no retention.

yeah, EKG hops in the nose. Buttery, earthy. Some caramel mixed in there. Some pine in the back end

Hops seem to dominate, not in a bitterness sort of way, though. Buttery is the best word I can come up with at 1:30am. Some pine, earth, and a bit of sour milk...without the sourness. Weird I know. Caramel/crystal malt is present. Some apple and soft cranberry. Again, weird. Overall a decent beer, but I appreciate the chance to taste EKG hops by themselves (802 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

Reviewed on 05/04/2011. Best before September 2011 notched on label. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear, deep copper color with a slight foamy, off-white head. Pretty decent retention for what little head was present. Ok lacing left on the glass.

The nose yields soft and subtle hop aromas. Nice balance between some earthy and herbal hops and some sweet malt character. That being said, as a whole the nose isn't all that strong. At times there seems to be bit of a floral hop aroma but it's rather weak and for the most part it's about the earthy hops and sweet malt that come through.

A bit more going on in the taste than there was in the nose. The earthy and floral hops are present as is the same sweet malt character that was in the nose. There is also a slightly fruity hop flavor that wasn't in the nose. Not too strong but definitely noticeable. There is a slight bitterness at the finish as well. Not anything that sticks or lingers but it is there.

Medium body with carbonation to match. The carbonation starts off a bit higher but levels off pretty quick. Dries out a bit at the finish but not too much.

Overall, a decent IPA. It does a good job of showing off the single hop, but, like some others in the series, EKG is probably a hop best used to complement others than to stand on its own. (1,327 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Darker copper colored, small cream colored head. Caramel scent, with earthy and mildly bitter tones as well. Caramel start, with the hops featuring a slight citrus, pretty earthy, midly bitter and a touch of fruit. I feel like these hops would be better as a complement to a more dominant hop in an IPA. Still cool to try them isoloated against a bunch of other hop profiles in this mix pack. Cool idea Sam! (407 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

Sampled May 2011
2-fingers, same color beer. Sweet tea crystal malt, lots of biscuit like malt notes, citrusy juniper notes, some sort of hop muskiness that I can’t quite place, and a herbal note that is mixed in with the juniper, some pine like notes and even some peppery notes. This is by far the most different of theses Latitude Deconstructed 48 IPAs. The malt plays a much bigger role in the nose than in any of the other beers, almost to the point of this seeming like a reasonably hoppy, amber type ale.

There is an oral-nasal juniper / menthol like character as I take my first sip. The beer has a fairly solid bitterness to it in the finish as well as a finish of bitter orange zest. Up front there is a lot of toasty, biscuit like malt and a big caramelized malt character. The hops provide a peppery, a touch of piquant pine and just a mellow herbaceous quality. This has a chewy, viscous body just like the others, and with the mellow hops this is a bit more noticeable

I was expecting this to be a lot more interesting than it is; for me, this beer is a huge let down, and in many ways quite conventional. This really makes me think of a hoppy amber ale more than an IPA. I will say this, I would have enjoyed this beer more if I hadn’t been thinking it would be hoppy enough to be an IPA. The EKGs are just a mellow, smooth enough hop that it integrates very well with the malt character; a little too well to be an IPA. (1,441 characters)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - East Kent Goldings from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)